Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions & Comments about the Magazine
girlygirlgag
post Jan 19 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #41

Super BadAss

Gwen is making it very hard for me to love her.

COME ON! Especially after she penned a song like "I'm Just A Girl"

I wanna smack her.

--------------------
Constantly on.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kickitkickitkick...
post Jan 18 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #42

BUSTie

I really should get a copy.

--------------------
The most beautiful woman on this planet!

+Quote Post
erinjane
post Jan 17 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #43

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(girlbomb @ Jan 17 2007, 04:02 PM) *

Gwen Stefani came off like a total idiot in that interview. "Nobody's ever defined feminism for me, so I don't know what it is." Really? Nobody's ever explained to you that it's the theory that women and men are equally important and valuable? And you never thought to look it up in a fucking dictionary? When I don't know what a commonly used, politically relevant word means, I tend to try and find its definition *all on my own* like a big girl!

Also, she feels sorry for Margaret Cho for being "ignorant"? This, from the woman who says she doesn't know what feminism means because nobody told her? Doy. Doy doy doy.

Exactly. I lost any respect I had for Gwen stefani as soon as she started using women as fashion accessories. And I fell even more in love with Margaret Cho for her response.

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post
girlbomb
post Jan 17 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #44

Hardcore BUSTie

Gwen Stefani came off like a total idiot in that interview. "Nobody's ever defined feminism for me, so I don't know what it is." Really? Nobody's ever explained to you that it's the theory that women and men are equally important and valuable? And you never thought to look it up in a fucking dictionary? When I don't know what a commonly used, politically relevant word means, I tend to try and find its definition *all on my own* like a big girl!

Also, she feels sorry for Margaret Cho for being "ignorant"? This, from the woman who says she doesn't know what feminism means because nobody told her? Doy. Doy doy doy.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jan 17 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #45

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

polecat, we try to discourage superfluous threads. You could discuss the interview in our magazine thread in Media Whores.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
polecat
post Jan 17 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #46

I am new and not able to start a thread yet, but I was so disappointed to read in the new Bust that Gwen Stefani can't call herself a feminist. Awwww, Gwen, c'mon! I love that the Bust interviews almost always ask this question though. This fascinates me.

+Quote Post
LoungeLady
post Jan 11 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #47

Hardcore BUSTie

Dearest BUST-y Ladies,
I am sorry that you have not received a reply from the customer service department yet. We very recently switched customer service providers because we were not happy with the service they were providing. We have a pretty big back up on customer service to get through and we are working our hardest to get back on track. Thank you all for your patience, we promise we will do our best to bring smiles to your faces! Please send all customer service complaints to subscriptions@bust.com, our in-house subscription overlord does not check the lounge very often and your problem may get overlooked. Again, thank you all for your patience and please stay BUST-y!

--------------------
So mod!

+Quote Post
kombinikill
post Jan 9 2007, 05:56 AM
Post #48

QUOTE(angela, always @ Jan 3 2007, 09:43 PM) *

just wondering if either of you have heard back about the subscriptions yet?

nope, all is silent on the subscription front.

i know from my first round of complaints that they had issues with the distributor so things aren't directly in their control, but it's kind of sucky that they won't even email me back to say "sorry, we're working on the problem" or anything.

grrr. i want to read the (not so) new issue, but i feel so ripped off going to the shop to buy it when i have already paid for it, but i don't want to miss out!

i don't really know what my next step should be.....

+Quote Post
angela, always
post Jan 3 2007, 06:26 AM
Post #49

just wondering if either of you have heard back about the subscriptions yet?

+Quote Post
kombinikill
post Dec 22 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(Louisa @ Dec 1 2006, 01:02 AM) *

Sorry to keep butting into this conversation (pardon the pun).

I haven't heard anything back from the subscription email address and it's been a couple of weeks now. Can anyone from Bust let me know what's going on?

It's also a bit disappointing not to have an response on the cigarette issue. The latest edition ran one which offered a free pack!

Thanks guys

Lxx

Hey Louisa,

I too have had untold trouble with my overseas (japan) subscription. it took three issues and multiple ignored emails for me to receive my first copy, and the next one was late, and the latest one is still nowhere to be seen. I just sent off this grumpy email:

Hi there,

I have not yet received my December issue of Bust. Is there a problem with delivery or something? I have received four magazine out of my years subscription and not a single one has arrived promptly or without issue.

It is really disheartening to have had such a negative experience with a magazine i like so much. I really want to continue my subscription, it is difficult for me to get to the only Bust stockist I know in Tokyo, and I want to support independent publishing, but the international subscriptions are an absolute disaster. Independent shouldn't have to mean unprofessional.

Claire

+Quote Post
mouni4
post Dec 15 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #51

BUSTie

Only a short visit to

wish Debbie & all other cool Bust Ladies creating this fantastic site and the Girl Wide Web a
wonderful, successful, fun-packed 2007!!!!

U rock!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
EllaMinnowPea
post Dec 14 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #52

BUSTie

I think Bust does an extraordinary job of giving a distinct voice and a sense of cultural identity to empowered women. The music reviews are always bands I'm just getting into, the actresses and featured women are often the brightest in the business, and the fashion section asserts a pride in personal style you don't get from the glorified advertisements of other women's magazines.

Great work, Bust!

--------------------
"I arise in the morning torn by the twin desires to reform the world and to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day."
E.B. White

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 12 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #53

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Is it a Freudian slip that the return address on my renewal notice is from "North Holywood, CA"?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Dec 10 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #54

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I know, Midge! As long as Bust continues to run cigarette ads, I would never recommend it to a younger person, like an older teenager. I started reading Sassy at 12 (my mom got me the subscription- yay Mom!) and I don't remember any cigarette ads in there. No way she would have given it to me if there was. They would have gotten letters from both of us!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Dec 10 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #55

Hardcore BUSTie

plus, i don't actually care about the whole "bust trusts its readers to do the right thing" point of view, i think that's crap! a magazine as conscientious as bust should be standing up for a set of values that represents the best interests of their readers, which in my opinion should include not encouraging the cigarette industry. would you be saying the same thing about them needing the money and letting readers choose to ignore ads they disagree with if the ads were for anti-abortion groups or plastic surgery clinics? i doubt it very much.

+Quote Post
MaryEllen
post Dec 10 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(girlbomb @ Nov 16 2006, 10:47 AM) *

It takes money to put out magazines, which is why most of them accept tobacco and booze ads. Without them, many magazines would not be able to publish at all. I think BUST trusts its readers to see the ad and ignore it if they choose. They'd probably prefer that all their ads come from independent women-run businesses (rather than just most of their ads coming from those sources), but the financial realities don't permit that.

I get that -- what has really disappointed me is the fact that I have written to Debbie, and to the woman in charge of advertising, and have written a letter to the editor, and every single one has been soundly ignored. I haven't heard a word in response, not even a form letter.

+Quote Post
Athena8827
post Dec 10 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(Sarannykins @ Dec 7 2006, 11:24 AM) *

BUST needs more COLOR. i.e., women of color. I've been wanting to make this comment a long time ago. Feminists do not only come in white, white, white! I love the mag and it's puns and stories and everything. But, what's up with the covers being 98% white girls? What about some sisters, black, asian, Fijian... whatever. Let's include everyone. I am black and I tell you, I have not renewed my subscription b/c of this bland sameness every issue. I only recall seeing Rosie Perez on the cover I believe. There are plenty of talented, smart, sassy women of color you could get. If you need suggestions of some who would be perfect, let me know.

So the lead singer of the yeah,yeah,yeahs (korean-american), Peaches (jewish), Sandra Oh (asian american), they don't count? that's just like from the last few issues. Wasn't Maya Rudolph (black) on the cover recently? or was she just a featured interview - I remember reading about her and how SNL was her childhood dream? there was a great article recently too about some kick-ass comediennes from like the 50's & 60's, and half of those ladies were black - I think at least one was jewish too.

I don't think it's 98% white. They could use a bit more diversity with their models, I'll give you that. Some of the fashion spreads are definitely very vanilla. But not all.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Sarannykins
post Dec 7 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #58

BUST needs more COLOR. i.e., women of color. I've been wanting to make this comment a long time ago. Feminists do not only come in white, white, white! I love the mag and it's puns and stories and everything. But, what's up with the covers being 98% white girls? What about some sisters, black, asian, Fijian... whatever. Let's include everyone. I am black and I tell you, I have not renewed my subscription b/c of this bland sameness every issue. I only recall seeing Rosie Perez on the cover I believe. There are plenty of talented, smart, sassy women of color you could get. If you need suggestions of some who would be perfect, let me know.

+Quote Post
Louisa
post Nov 30 2006, 09:45 AM
Post #59

Sorry to keep butting into this conversation (pardon the pun).

I haven't heard anything back from the subscription email address and it's been a couple of weeks now. Can anyone from Bust let me know what's going on?

It's also a bit disappointing not to have an response on the cigarette issue. The latest edition ran one which offered a free pack!

Thanks guys

Lxx

+Quote Post
erinjane
post Nov 16 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #60

Hardcore BUSTie

I think that's a really good point, gb. There was a really good article by Gloria Steinem I read in class recently about how they wanted to advertise and how hard it was. I'll see if I can dig it up. Not saying that's an excuse for booze and tabacco ads, but it gives some insight. Although Ms. and Bust are quite different.

--------------------
I Could Tell You Stories That Would Make Your Ears Curl

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 23, 2014 - 08:04 AM