The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 44 45 46 47 48 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
lilacwine13
post Aug 14 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #901

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

The only places I can think of where wearing t-shirts with tights to work are acceptable is Urban Outfitters or American Apparel, but even then you're going to look like you forgot something.

I think the dress code has become relaxed at a lot of places, and others don't bother to enforce it. At my current job there is a dress code on the books that forbids jeans, strappy tank tops, and flip-flops, which is understandable and doable. Imagine my surprise when a coworker showed up to work one day in a white strappy tank top, green capris made out of sweatshirt material, and rainbow, platform flip-flops, yet nobody said anything. (This woman is at least 50, which didn't help matters.)

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Aug 14 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #902

(o)(o)

I am just curiuos when it became socially acceptable to dress so slovenly at work??? I get it if you work in construction or as a mechanic, but when you work in government or something, it is not okay to wear your pajamas or tights with a tshirt and belt! Come one!

There is one woman whom I've seen who wears the rattiest shorts and large t shirts, I understand that she is overweight, but it is not appropriate.

And since when did not wearing a bra become so acceptable??? I do not need to see your nipples at work!

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
flanker_ji
post Aug 14 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #903

Hardcore BUSTie

Where is it ok to wear tights as pants and oversized t-shirts to work??

--------------------
"Patience is a virtue, but I don't have the time..."

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Aug 14 2007, 07:05 AM
Post #904

(o)(o)

That is exactly it, tights worn as pants is not appropriate for work.

It looks even worse when it is combined with an oversized shirt worn as a dress and some horrible looking 80's belt.

Blech!

Ananke, even thinking about that combo makes me want to vomit.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
LustfullyPink
post Aug 13 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #905

Hardcore BUSTie

Dayglowpink, perhaps she means when they are worn as pants. We get that a lot around these parts, and it's disgusting. Just like a babytee and tights. I'm afraid if I look too closely, I'll see some pubes sticking out.

By the way. Does anyone remember those atrocious egg-crate stretchy shirts that were HUGE in like 1999? I saw a girl wearing a red one of those with get this...

Brown Gauchos and...

Crocs.

Are you kidding me?! I was like "Now really. That's just rude."

Those shirts were so awful.

--------------------
Give me room to stand, and I will move the world.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Aug 13 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #906

PANTIES! ew.

QUOTE(hellotampon @ Aug 8 2007, 12:19 PM) *
Yesterday I saw a girl in black gauchos with a white tanktop over a light brown spaghetti strap top (the two shirts blended into this horribly dingy color), WHITE TIGHTS, and suede birkenstock clogs.

You never know, maybe she's a dancer and was on her way to/from a dance studio where white or pink tights are de rigeur for ballet.

+Quote Post
ananke
post Aug 11 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #907

Hardcore BUSTie

Olive green crocs with fluro pink socks.

*dies on the inside*

+Quote Post
coela
post Aug 11 2007, 06:57 AM
Post #908

Hardcore BUSTie

* A hefty Goth guy (about BMI 40), hair dyed black and growing out blond, black tank top, black combat shorts and BOOTS WITH METAL PLATES.
I mean, come on, don't they make Goth sandals? Goth flip-flops? Goth CROCS, even? I swear, it would have been better.

* Beautiful redhaired woman with pale skin and lots of freckles in a Very loud hot pink/turquoise/yellow/blue sundress (60s style, but trés ugly),
which really didn't complement her great skin at all, and was too big for her, and the SHITTIEST white bra I've ever seen under it.
Not just the bra straps, but the whole thing, since the dress was backless. I don't have a problem with bra straps showing, but the whole thing?
Well ok then if it was a sports bra or a bikini looking bra, but this was an ICKY, yellowish/dishwater coloured, granny style bra,
and she was at a restaurant having dinner with her friends (as was I - however, not in an icky bra). It's a casual restaurant, it was a hot day and
we were all sitting outside, but still.

* Hefty indie pop girl in cute outfit but much too narrow ballerinas. Her feet we're protruding all over the shoe edges.
I know what it's like to have swollen feet, my feet swell horribly when it's hot and I work in front of the computer all day,
and I wouldn't wear shoes which emphasize that. Also, I'm guessing it doesn't feel all that comfortable when your feet are twice the size of your shoes.

+Quote Post
dayglowpink
post Aug 10 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #909

Hardcore BUSTie

??? culturehandy, what kind of tights are you talking about? I wear tights all the time with dresses and skirts in the winter. I think they're very appropriate for the office. I'm confused!

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Aug 9 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #910

(o)(o)

I hate tights. I fucking can't stand them. They are not suitable for the office.

--------------------

+Quote Post
llamas
post Aug 9 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #911

Hardcore BUSTie

Eh, I'm not a big fan of olive green and navy. Too drab. But kelly green and navy, hells yeah.

And the whole short pants/tights thing must be an epidemic, as today someone at my office is wearing green capris with white trouser socks and black clogs.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Aug 9 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #912

Most Likely Procrastinating

i still maintain that i actually really like the cut and if it were different fabric it would work. but the fake poly stuff just makes it look badly made and cheap. i saw a girl wearing the navy blue/black shirt and it looked bad on her. sad.gif but she was kind of a CoF allover. she kind of looked like she might've been a bustie type though--someone needs to show her the error of her ways.

i think olive and navy together is kind of classic, but boring. but then again i am a girl who wears combinations like red and turquoise and loves it. i am kind of obsessed with color...

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
flanker_ji
post Aug 8 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #913

Hardcore BUSTie

I don't mind olive and navy together, myself.

I gotta admit, your mr.'s clever revenge tactic makes me laugh, freckle!

--------------------
"Patience is a virtue, but I don't have the time..."

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Aug 8 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #914

(o)(o)

tights under gauchos? Doesn't that defeat the purpose. I mean if you want to wear long pants, then wear long pants. Not both. Ick!

--------------------

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Aug 8 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #915

Hardcore BUSTie

I actually like 70s prints and the kinda Nicole Richie-type cuts they have these days. Then again you have to be anorexic-looking to wear them, and you certainly can't have big boobs like mine. So I usually have to buy old 70s shirts from the salvation army and use them to make accents for my regular-fitting clothes. I hate those shirts that Humanist posted. The fabric is pretty hideous and if you're going to wear something that big and baggy, then the neckline better be really low... even the model looks big in those shirts.

Yesterday I saw a girl in black gauchos with a white tanktop over a light brown spaghetti strap top (the two shirts blended into this horribly dingy color), WHITE TIGHTS, and suede birkenstock clogs.

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Aug 7 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #916

beachcomber

I have a CoF color question:

olive green w/ navy blue ? (olive shirt w/navy shorts, navy polo w/ olive dockers)

I say no, and was downright nasty when I snapped at the mr in the heat of an argument over something else and that came out, so now he's quiet & covertly wearing it ALL THE TIME in various combinations.
blink.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
llamas
post Aug 7 2007, 09:47 AM
Post #917

Hardcore BUSTie

Today is apparently bleach-your-eyeballs day at my office...
First, a woman wearing a tunic top and capri-length leggings (bad enough, right?) with the same kind of chunky high-heeled loafers that I wore with my school uniform in the 90s.

Then a largeish gal in a pink floral print polyester dress that I'm fairly sure was actually meant to be a shirt, what with the combination of long bell sleeves and very short length and all. With very high heeled sandals.

On a more positive note, the very fashion-challenged mr. llamas and I went to a movie on Sunday, and on the way out he asked me, "What's with all the stupid rubber shoes?" Meaning Crocs, of course...I was so proud.

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Aug 6 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #918

belligerently lazy

Maimy, my heart goes out to you tongue.gif

Marlene from Vegas seems to think that my rage is out of control...and that polyester satin is perfect for the summer heat...and that these particular blouses are adorable if worn correctly...Marlene doesn't get a tongue-in-cheek statement, perhaps?

ETA~dammit! I can only leave one review per item!

--------------------
I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step.
-Matt Groening, Life in Hell

+Quote Post
maimy
post Aug 6 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #919

Hardcore BUSTie

(Humanist, I adore your thoroughness in making sure to leave reviews!)

The tops are not flattering, but in simple colors at least they're inoffensive, if a little distracting perhaps. It's the dresses like that which have me completely flummoxed. Flattering to PRECISELY no body type, intentionally manufactured in heavy, baggy, unattractive twills and unforgiving "retro" fabrics (and all too often with intentionally-hideous RICKRACK on them!!!!), they are in-your-face ugly, and I can't agree with the sense of "edginess" (or even "humor" ... ??) which insists upon unappealing-as-awesome. And the less attractive, the more inexplicably expensive.

I remember the very early seventies, and I remember women having to wear broadly-drawn, unattractive shit like that because they were pregnant and sewed their own clothes, but didn't have the energy, money, or time to invest in good materials or workmanship. I have WORN the boxy fucking dresses handed down to me as a kid by the (I'm sorry) fat girl up the street. Her mom dressed her like a frump at the age of SIX, and I can actually remember the contrast between the joy of "you're getting some hand-me-downs from TJ" (she was stylin' out of K-Mart, y'all) versus the letdown of "you're getting some hand-me-downs from ADB" (did I mention the cruelty of pre-teen frump? did I mention that??). There isn't a power on earth, and I include hallucinogenics, strong enough to make me pay $300 for the brand of ugly which scarred my childhood years.

And there isn't a power on earth which will prevent all the moron girls wearing this shit today - for a premium! - from receiving, all unknowing, the scorn and derision of a generation who had to be there, and who "know better" by now. Haute has these chicks wearing the Emperor's tacky-assed threads. And I know it's not the first time. But it's one of the most glaring examples of Dumbass Chic I have ever witnessed. Even worse than crocs. Even worse than hockey-stick "contouring" blush.

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Aug 6 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #920

go ahead . . . push the button!

aaack! jut had a mental image of neon and camo colored croc clothes in fetish styles being worn at walmart by shoppers!

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 44 45 46 47 48 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 22, 2014 - 11:15 AM