The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Better To Give Than Receive, The Gift Giving Thread
bunnyb
post Dec 15 2007, 06:32 AM
Post #21

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

Remote controlled golf cart!

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Dec 14 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #22

cryostat bitch

I need help toooo! 10 year old boy, lives in Montana, will most likely be the next Tiger Woods (majorly into golfing)...but I'm thinking, even though it'd be really easy to get him some personalized golf balls or something...that's probably ALL he gets is golfing stuff and maybe he'd like something different.

Any ideas that don't involve him shooting his eye out or banging on drums?

It'd be really cool if I could find a remote controlled golf cart or something...but I don't have much faith in that possibility.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Dec 14 2007, 02:35 PM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

my mom's birthday is early january, and she's difficult enough to shop for at christmastime, so i'm trying to think (relatively) early of a birthday gift. i want to make something sentimental. i'm thinking a scrapbook or video with old photos, but somebustie's gotta have a more creative idea than that. help please!

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Dec 12 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

le'watcher - check out CNET for electronics reviews

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
Le' Watcher
post Dec 12 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #25

Helloooo Busties!!

Does anybody know the diffrence between Zune and an IPod? I want to give my cuz a gadget to store her music files, pictures, am/fm radio capabilities and podshows on...Im not at all techi savvy please!! Ayuda!!!

--------------------
But the Breakfast is GOOD!

+Quote Post
sarasota
post Nov 21 2007, 10:04 PM
Post #26

BUSTie

Garlic, my bf is smaller than a regular mens small and i have often gotten him shirts and sewn them in. if you already know how to sew, that is awesome, and if you don't, sewing in shirts is how i started sewing. for guys it is even easier since you dont have to put in any curves to fit them--just straight up and down smile.gif

QUOTE(Garlic @ Nov 15 2007, 04:20 PM) *
I'm going to crazy lengths to get a t shirt for someone special.

There's a band t shirt that's only available in XL and XXL which basically I need for a medium sized man. I am pirating it. I see this working out expensively, but who cares.

/cheesey, perhaps

+Quote Post
missjoy
post Nov 16 2007, 11:11 AM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

I don't have a lot of money this year - I'm thinking of making homemade jams, chutneys and preserves for my family.

I'm starting a new job on Monday (been unemployed, hence the lack of money) so I might wait and see how much time I actually have. I saw a book in the store on small batch preserving - but I've never done it before. I'm worried that if I buy the book, all the supplies, etc. it might end up costing a lot and not work out.

Hmmmm... I also wonder if this is more a gift I want to give because I think it will be fun to do rather than something for them...

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 16 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

Garlic, that's awful about that poor man! But at least you're doing something nice for him.

So far I have almost all my family gifts figured out except for my grandfather because he is the hardest person to buy for.

So, for my mom: Lush stuff.

Dad: something from my university, kind of as a token of how much I appreciate his support. I'm thinking a coffee mug, I'd love to get him a t-shirt but he's really big.

Brother: some cop shirts, I'm guessing I'll have to go for Kensington market for those.

Grandmother: probably some Laura Secord chocolate covered ginger. It's so gross but she loves it.

And then their is my grandpa. Every year he just asks for socks. Seriously.

+Quote Post
Garlic
post Nov 15 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #29

BUSTie

I'm going to crazy lengths to get a t shirt for someone special.

There's a band t shirt that's only available in XL and XXL which basically I need for a medium sized man. I am pirating it. I see this working out expensively, but who cares.

Otherwise, and this is a bit mental....

The Coat
Out of my office window, which is four storeys up in the office block, my colleages and I can see a tramp sitting on a bench, and it's getting mighty cold at the moment. He sleeps outside a bookmakers in the town centre, I've seen him around before. We sent two kids outside to give him some coffee and soup (it's free in a Klix machine in the office), and he said thanks. After this the tramp got up and walked off for a pee, and then we watched in astonished horror as some chavs who were blatantly on crack (Brit speak: chav = white trash) picked his coat off the bench and stole it while he was gone. You've got to be a real bastard to rob a tramp. There wasn't a lot we could do because we were quite a way off from the situation!

He's not been around for a few days but I'm going to get him a coat. There are at least 3 second hand stores in walking distance of the office, I can pop in there and it will cost me about four pounds. That's my christmas present to him.

/cheesey, perhaps

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Nov 14 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #30

go ahead . . . push the button!

everyone know they get oranges from me every year.

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Nov 13 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

Those oranges sound awesome! I might make them for gifts.

I wanted to paint oranges for gifts last year (wouldn't that be cool?) but I wasn't sure what type of paint to use- does anyone know?

I read somewhere that back in the day, Christmas stockings were supposed to have 5 gifts in them, and that each of the gifts appealed to one of the 5 senses.

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Nov 11 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #32

my candied oranges

ten or so large and very pretty skinned oranges. (valencia oranges are good but they really do have to have nice bright orange skin) wash oranges and slice in rounds at about 1/4 inch slices. in several large low pans place the orange slices flat and only slightly overlapping and cover completely with sugar. dribble just enough water over the oranges and sugar to make it moist then slowly heat it till all the sugar melts and begins to boil. turn heat down to a simmer for about 15 min. then remove from heat and let stand for one to two days. the add as much sugar as can be saturated in the syrup and bring to boil again then simmer low for 45min to 1 hr. remove from heat and let stand again over night. the oranges will stay suspended in the syrup as they are saturated with syrup. pour off the syrup and lay the slices on wax paper and let them dry this way one or two days. then temper your favorite dark chocolate and dip each slice in the chocolate half way. set on clean wax paper to dry till chocolate is hardened. then eat them, give them, share them. yummy yummy yummy.

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
corduroy
post Nov 9 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #33

BUSTie

every time I write a letter or postcard, I feel that exciting gift-giving-anticipation thing that is almost like adrenaline.

I LOVE giving people things that I know they'll like, and i guess that writing for me falls under that catagory.

Christmas is coming, and as always I am stumped for most people I know.

+Quote Post
divaintraining
post Nov 9 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

as i get older, i def think it is better to give than to receive. i will be donating this holiday season for sure. thanks all!

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Nov 7 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

Shiny's oranges are the BEST! Lately, I'm lucky that we live close enough to each other that I get to eat the 'mistakes'. Tasty mistakes.

fiddler

--------------------
Everybody loves the truck!

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Nov 7 2007, 09:32 PM
Post #36

ok, i will try to post the recipe tomorrow. must go feed the baby now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Divala
post Nov 7 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

Me, too! They'd work great as a garnish to some truffles I'm making.

--------------------
"After all those hours of concentrated effort, I come home pure as the driven snow." -Gidget

+Quote Post
opheliathemuse
post Nov 3 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

me too!

--------------------
There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream.
There with fantastic garlands did she come...

+Quote Post
catsoup
post Nov 2 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #39

Sarcasm is the refuge of losers.

shinyx3, I'd love to hear how you make chocolate covered candied oranges! They sound fantastic.

+Quote Post
jinxnb
post Nov 1 2007, 05:45 PM
Post #40

Although I love presents, I LOVE seeing people open the presents I give them.

This year, I want to make a few presents..particularly pillows. Sadly, I am unsure how to make a pillow. I need to look up info on a web site that isn't too confusing. Since I am a relative craft-virigin (I've done cross-stitching), this may be a hard process for me.

As for my shopping, I have my mom's stuff done, since we do Christmas at Thanksgiving.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 21, 2014 - 10:33 PM