271 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
swt simplicity
post Oct 10 2010, 05:09 AM
Post #361

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(melinda7 @ Oct 9 2010, 02:54 PM) *
I wanted to warn people about inserting capsules of anything. I did it with the BA, but I used capsules from the pharmacist, which are just regular capsules and everything was fine. I then got capsules at the health food store that are vegetarian and I used the BA and it didn't dissolve at all! It came out intact the next morning. I thought it was just not up far enough, which could be.

Then, I inserted my probiotic capsule and that came out -- half of it yesterday. Something felt weird and today the other half came out (I thought it had dissolved). So, I am letting you know. It may be the vegetarian and probiotic capsules don't dissolve easily. I don't know....?
I tried Balance Activ and then I got a yeast infection. No burns like Melis, but maybe my PH isn't off, so it made it too low. I am also on flagyl, so it could just be that too. I will try again when I am done my period or I really feel my PH is off.

Were you doing all of these treatments at the same time? It sounds like a lot. Did you use the '00' size gelatin capsules? About the BalancActiv: Sometimes vaginal gels cause a thick tissue like discharge because the gel mixes in with your vaginal secretions. Some women mistake this discharge for a yeast infection. Yeast can thrive in both high and low pH's, so even if the gel lowered your pH too much, it's not likely it increased the level of yeast present or induced a yeast infection.

Probiotics are formulated for oral use, so inserting one vaginally probably won't be so effective, since they usually have an enteric coating that should survive the stomach acids therefor it wouldn't break down properly in the vagina.

Good luck smile.gif

P.S. Boric acid does a good job of knocking out microorganisms. It basically wipes out both good and bad bacteria as well, so try not to over do it. A user on here said that she got her boric acid capsules formulated by a Pharmacist or Chemist with acidophilus and that helped replenish the lost bacteria. The capsule was formulated with 50% boric acid and 50% acidophilus. I think it was Mfc10, I'm not too sure. Maybe you can ask your local Chemist if that can be done. You'd be killing two birds with one stone.

--------------------
You can save $10 on your first purchase at iHerb if you use my referral code LUN601. Great selection of feminine hygiene products, candida/fungal/yeast products, and probiotics.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
melinda7
post Oct 9 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #362

BUSTie

I wanted to warn people about inserting capsules of anything. I did it with the BA, but I used capsules from the pharmacist, which are just regular capsules and everything was fine. I then got capsules at the health food store that are vegetarian and I used the BA and it didn't dissolve at all! It came out intact the next morning. I thought it was just not up far enough, which could be.

Then, I inserted my probiotic capsule and that came out -- half of it yesterday. Something felt weird and today the other half came out (I thought it had dissolved). So, I am letting you know. It may be the vegetarian and probiotic capsules don't dissolve easily. I don't know....?

I tried Balance Activ and then I got a yeast infection. No burns like Melis, but maybe my PH isn't off, so it made it too low. I am also on flagyl, so it could just be that too. I will try again when I am done my period or I really feel my PH is off.

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Oct 9 2010, 07:08 AM
Post #363

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(melis19750 @ Oct 8 2010, 07:30 PM) *
just wanted to add
I think telling someone-
some women get BV than it comes back often worse, is really NOT something someone should say. Especially to someone who is new to this imbalance and its a first time thing.

I really believe most women who get BV returning is because A) too many anti biotics in the past... cool.gif no use of pro-biotics

leaves a body imbalanced

therefor, by the time someone who is imbalanced, maybe not eating completely well...etc; tries to re-treat its harder to treat.

a good example of someone getting it and going away, the lady at the health food store, she had to treat the BV twice, got yeast after, eventually after getting on a good pro biotic and taking care of herself- she got back on balance and she no longer has BV

so- just some advice, i think its better to not set a not so positive tone, you want people to stay positive, as it helps with the healing process
=)

Yeah, I know it's important to stay positive. However reoccurring infections are just something some women have to come to terms with, which is the case for most women on here including myself. It happens, and it helps to know what you'll do in case it does. If your doing all of the right things then you shouldn't have much to worry about.

The imbalance from taking antibiotics is one thing, but if someone keeps taking antibiotics over and over again, it can open a gateway to resistant infections (strains of bacteria and yeast) that aren't responding to any antibiotics. You've heard of the MRSA infection right? Well that is a super bug that is resistant to any antibiotics that are out right now. It is said to be "highly resistant to some antibiotics." It's basically the same deal with bacterial vaginosis or yeast that has been over treated with antibiotics.

--------------------
You can save $10 on your first purchase at iHerb if you use my referral code LUN601. Great selection of feminine hygiene products, candida/fungal/yeast products, and probiotics.

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Oct 8 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #364

Hardcore BUSTie

just wanted to add
I think telling someone-
some women get BV than it comes back often worse, is really NOT something someone should say. Especially to someone who is new to this imbalance and its a first time thing.

I really believe most women who get BV returning is because A) too many anti biotics in the past... cool.gif no use of pro-biotics

leaves a body imbalanced

therefor, by the time someone who is imbalanced, maybe not eating completely well...etc; tries to re-treat its harder to treat.

a good example of someone getting it and going away, the lady at the health food store, she had to treat the BV twice, got yeast after, eventually after getting on a good pro biotic and taking care of herself- she got back on balance and she no longer has BV

so- just some advice, i think its better to not set a not so positive tone, you want people to stay positive, as it helps with the healing process
=)

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Oct 8 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #365

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi sweet

actually I am going to do fem-dophilus orally and once a week vaginally

in fact right now- while on tindamax Im doing 2 probiotics in the am and 2 before bed
while taking tindamax once a day... at least 3 hours before my pm pro biotics
and im also doing a vaginal fem-dophilus once in the am and once in the pm

my vagina finally heeled from the balance activ burn
my doctor said it caused a chemical burn
sometimes things that sound too good to be true usually are
so if you all are trying balance activ, i suggest be careful
i used it ONCE and received a chemical burn from it

so far my symptoms have subsided
=)

im also watching my diet

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Oct 8 2010, 02:25 PM) *
I'm happy to hear that things are going smoothly so far. I'd like to think that this round of antibiotics will work for you the first time around. It usually does for most people, but bacterial vaginosis has a knack for coming back in cycles. It'll be gone for a couple of months and then it comes back with a vengeance and requires an even stronger dose of antibiotics to go away. Have you talked to your gynecologist about this? Since this is your first (and hopefully last) bacterial vaginosis infection, it's good to know where you stand and what preventative steps you'll need to take to prevent a reoccurring infection. Or do you just plan on taking Fem-Dophilus as a preventative after your bacterial vaginosis has finally cleared up?

Yeah, keep us posted! I love hearing from you, and I especially love hearing good news biggrin.gif
I've actually read that study before prior to doing my post on TMAU. The study basically points out that women with TMAU can have a fishy smelling vaginal odor/secretions primarily because of their disorder. Women with bacterial vaginosis also have trimethylamine in their vaginal secretions but nowhere as much as women with TMAU. The study points out that women that have a non-infectious vaginal odor should also be checked for the TMAU disorder. TMAU suffers don't always have to smell fishy; the smell can actually vary.

Thank God that isn't a common disorder. I watched a documentary about people living with TMAU. It broke my heart to hear about a little boy living with it, and the doctor actually said that as he gets older, the disorder can get more severe, particularly when he goes through puberty. I felt so bad for him sad.gif Living with TMAU can be a social stigma. Instead of the government spending billions on warfare, we should be putting that money to disorders and degenerative illnesses like cancer, AIDS, and diseases like TMAU. A user called Awayday1000 posted all six parts of the documentary on Youtube. The documentary is called, "Help, I smell of fish." And there is also a blog post on it. Here are the links to it:

1. http://www.youtube.com/user/awayday1000#p/u/0/vwZmRvIDEec
2. http://www.bloodbornebodyodorandhalitosis....lp-i-smell.html
Oh, while I was browsing on Youtube, I found a few videos on BalancActiv and bacterial vaginosis:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYPT_4JPkqg
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCpzbo7xwUk

Isn't it sad how Europe has over the counter treatments for bacterial vaginosis and the U.S. doesn't? Yes.

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Oct 8 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #366

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(melis19750 @ Oct 8 2010, 11:15 AM) *
hey everyone just an update
so Tindamax is def better than flagyl as far as side effects go. My side effects are so minimal. Just some irritable bowel issues. As far as the drug working, that Im not sure about yet
Im not noticing a major odor anymore or thick discharge- not yeast discharge, but the bv discharge (it differs in women, some its watery, some its thicker)
but I wont know for sure until Monday after my follow up exam. Im done with the Tindamax Saturday. =)
have a good day everyone

I'm happy to hear that things are going smoothly so far. I'd like to think that this round of antibiotics will work for you the first time around. It usually does for most people, but bacterial vaginosis has a knack for coming back in cycles. It'll be gone for a couple of months and then it comes back with a vengeance and requires an even stronger dose of antibiotics to go away. Have you talked to your gynecologist about this? Since this is your first (and hopefully last) bacterial vaginosis infection, it's good to know where you stand and what preventative steps you'll need to take to prevent a reoccurring infection. Or do you just plan on taking Fem-Dophilus as a preventative after your bacterial vaginosis has finally cleared up?

Yeah, keep us posted! I love hearing from you, and I especially love hearing good news biggrin.gif

QUOTE(sbaby)

I've actually read that study before prior to doing my post on TMAU. The study basically points out that women with TMAU can have a fishy smelling vaginal odor/secretions primarily because of their disorder. Women with bacterial vaginosis also have trimethylamine in their vaginal secretions but nowhere as much as women with TMAU. The study points out that women that have a non-infectious vaginal odor should also be checked for the TMAU disorder. TMAU suffers don't always have to smell fishy; the smell can actually vary.

Thank God that isn't a common disorder. I watched a documentary about people living with TMAU. It broke my heart to hear about a little boy living with it, and the doctor actually said that as he gets older, the disorder can get more severe, particularly when he goes through puberty. I felt so bad for him sad.gif Living with TMAU can be a social stigma. Instead of the government spending billions on warfare, we should be putting that money to disorders and degenerative illnesses like cancer, AIDS, and diseases like TMAU. A user called Awayday1000 posted all six parts of the documentary on Youtube. The documentary is called, "Help, I smell of fish." And there is also a blog post on it. Here are the links to it:

1. http://www.youtube.com/user/awayday1000#p/u/0/vwZmRvIDEec
2. http://www.bloodbornebodyodorandhalitosis....lp-i-smell.html

Oh, while I was browsing on Youtube, I found a few videos on BalancActiv and bacterial vaginosis:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYPT_4JPkqg
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCpzbo7xwUk

Isn't it sad how Europe has over the counter treatments for bacterial vaginosis and the U.S. doesn't? Yes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Oct 8 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #367

Hardcore BUSTie

hey everyone just an update
so Tindamax is def better than flagyl as far as side effects go. My side effects are so minimal. Just some irritable bowel issues. As far as the drug working, that Im not sure about yet
Im not noticing a major odor anymore or thick discharge- not yeast discharge, but the bv discharge (it differs in women, some its watery, some its thicker)
but I wont know for sure until Monday after my follow up exam. Im done with the Tindamax Saturday. =)
have a good day everyone

+Quote Post
yme30
post Oct 7 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #368

BUSTie

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Oct 7 2010, 01:09 PM) *
It's a trend in the health community that vaginal infections are just things that women have to deal with, and vaginal infections aren't being taken as seriously as they should be. Women don't talk about it much. Women find it embarrassing; women are even too embarrassed to talk to their doctors about it. All you see on T.V. is those Monistat commercials; there should be commercials on bacterial vaginosis as well, it is more common then yeast infections. Men sit around making jokes about vaginal odors and neglect to realize that a vaginal odor isn't something to laugh about, if anything, they should be aware that a vaginal odor could mean something is wrong. It wasn't until it was discovered that bacterial vaginosis caused premature labor that the medical community finally took the time to research it. Prior to that, there was nothing on bacterial vaginosis.

What needs to change is the social stigma about talking about vaginal health. If more people get talking about it, more knowledge about vaginal health will spread. And that would probably help tons of women prevent these infections in the first place.

How many rounds of antibiotics have you taken Yme? I hope your gynecologist can finally get you the treatment you need smile.gif

Thank God for your post. The part when men make fun of smelly vagina odors and such really angers me. I take showers sometimes 3 times a day but the smell just make me feel so dirty.

I have had 5 rounds of the Metrogel, it just doesn't work for me. It wont clear anything up, the discharge nor smell. I dont know how this is going to end but I hope next week I can finally get some answers. Keep ya posted.

+Quote Post
sbaby
post Oct 7 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #369

Check this out:

http://www.femalepatient.com/html/features/031_03_010.asp

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Oct 7 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #370

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(yme30 @ Oct 7 2010, 12:16 AM) *
Probiotics are too expensive to not work in a timely fashion. If it takes more than 6 months ( which is way too long anyway but our diets are all wired differently) then Its a waste of money and time and not to mention a major disappointment for us.

I have put out tons of money on many different probiotics and every single time I was checking out at the register shelling out the 20 dollar bills was breaking my heart and my pockets. I have bought the store version, online version, popular version, refrigerated, millions and 10 billion versions, all for nothing.

Same with the Metro-gel or Flagyl pills and cream. That shit doesn't work and 25 dollar co-pays, plus scripts add up when you visit the doctor 3 times in one month.

Honest, this is my 5th doctor visit in two months and I decided to try a man doctor because for some strange reason women who examine my vagina think because they have one, that they should all work the same and the remedy is an antibiotic that REALLY DOESN'T WORK!!!!!! ITS GETTING OLD!!!

Well yesterday my new MAN DOCTOR did a DNA-probe test which I am very thankful for. I see him in one week and I will then know for sure what the hell is going on with me.

I am talking about my body and my doctors and my experience with other methods, everyone isn't the same I dont mean any harm, discouragement, or encouragement. Night all Keep ya all posted[/size]

It's a trend in the health community that vaginal infections are just things that women have to deal with, and vaginal infections aren't being taken as seriously as they should be. Women don't talk about it much. Women find it embarrassing; women are even too embarrassed to talk to their doctors about it. All you see on T.V. is those Monistat commercials; there should be commercials on bacterial vaginosis as well, it is more common then yeast infections. Men sit around making jokes about vaginal odors and neglect to realize that a vaginal odor isn't something to laugh about, if anything, they should be aware that a vaginal odor could mean something is wrong. It wasn't until it was discovered that bacterial vaginosis caused premature labor that the medical community finally took the time to research it. Prior to that, there was nothing on bacterial vaginosis.

What needs to change is the social stigma about talking about vaginal health. If more people get talking about it, more knowledge about vaginal health will spread. And that would probably help tons of women prevent these infections in the first place.

How many rounds of antibiotics have you taken Yme? I hope your gynecologist can finally get you the treatment you need smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
yme30
post Oct 6 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #371

BUSTie

Probiotics are too expensive to not work in a timely fashion. If it takes more than 6 months ( which is way too long anyway but our diets are all wired differently) then Its a waste of money and time and not to mention a major disappointment for us.

I have put out tons of money on many different probiotics and every single time I was checking out at the register shelling out the 20 dollar bills was breaking my heart and my pockets. I have bought the store version, online version, popular version, refrigerated, millions and 10 billion versions, all for nothing.

Same with the Metro-gel or Flagyl pills and cream. That shit doesn't work and 25 dollar co-pays, plus scripts add up when you visit the doctor 3 times in one month.

Honest, this is my 5th doctor visit in two months and I decided to try a man doctor because for some strange reason women who examine my vagina think because they have one, that they should all work the same and the remedy is an antibiotic that REALLY DOESN'T WORK!!!!!! ITS GETTING OLD!!!

Well yesterday my new MAN DOCTOR did a DNA-probe test which I am very thankful for. I see him in one week and I will then know for sure what the hell is going on with me.

I am talking about my body and my doctors and my experience with other methods, everyone isn't the same I dont mean any harm, discouragement, or encouragement. Night all Keep ya all posted[/size]

+Quote Post
britt8705
post Oct 6 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #372

BUSTie

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Oct 5 2010, 01:58 PM) *
You bought your Fem-D off of the internet? Did you make sure it was shipped cold? I know places, such as the Vitamin Shoppe that sell it for under $20 and you also earn store credit for each purchase. I live in Massachusetts. You should check for one in your area ... or maybe a health food store. $38 is pretty high; I don't even pay that much for RepHresh Pro-B. There were a few women that took Fem-D and it didn't work, but that could be for a number of reasons. You should start off taking it twice a day for one week, and decrease your dose to once a day until it's finished. I have hope that it will help you because it has helped many so long as they continued taking it.

I brought it from Whole Foods directly out of the fridge. I accidentally picked up the 60 capsules instead of the 30 capsules so I believe that is why it cost so much. I will definitely check out Vitamin Shoope in my area. It has only been 3 days, each day I have taken 2 pills so far so good no discharge. In order for me to get a real idea I'm going to wait until after a have another period (3weeks). Hopefully this was all I needed! Thanks for the help in the advise!

+Quote Post
britt8705
post Oct 6 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #373

BUSTie

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Oct 5 2010, 01:58 PM) *
You bought your Fem-D off of the internet? Did you make sure it was shipped cold? I know places, such as the Vitamin Shoppe that sell it for under $20 and you also earn store credit for each purchase. I live in Massachusetts. You should check for one in your area ... or maybe a health food store. $38 is pretty high; I don't even pay that much for RepHresh Pro-B. There were a few women that took Fem-D and it didn't work, but that could be for a number of reasons. You should start off taking it twice a day for one week, and decrease your dose to once a day until it's finished. I have hope that it will help you because it has helped many so long as they continued taking it.

I brought it from Whole Foods directly out of the fridge. I accidentally picked up the 60 capsules instead of the 30 capsules so I believe that is why it cost so much. I will definitely check out Vitamin Shoope in my area. It has only been 3 days, each day I have taken 2 pills so far so good no discharge. In order for me to get a real idea I'm going to wait until after a have another period (3weeks). Hopefully this was all I needed! Thanks for the help in the advise!

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Oct 5 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #374

Hardcore BUSTie

found these while doing some fun online research
http://www.druglib.com/druginfo/tindamax/abstracts/
Improved cure of bacterial vaginosis with single dose of tinidazole (2 g), Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1, and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.

Author(s): Martinez RC, Franceschini SA, Patta MC, Quintana SM, Gomes BC, De Martinis EC, Reid G

Affiliation(s): Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, 14040-903 Ribeirao Preto, Brazil.

Publication date & source: 2009-02, Can J Microbiol., 55(2):133-8.

Publication type: Multicenter Study; Randomized Controlled Trial; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is the most prevalent vaginal infection worldwide and is characterized by depletion of the indigenous lactobacilli. Antimicrobial therapy is often ineffective. We hypothesized that probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14 might provide an adjunct to antimicrobial treatment and improve cure rates. Sixty-four Brazilian women diagnosed with BV were randomly assigned to receive a single dose of tinidazole (2 g) supplemented with either 2 placebo capsules or 2 capsules containing L. rhamnosus GR-1 and L. reuteri RC-14 every morning for the following 4 weeks. At the end of treatment (day 28), the probiotic group had a significantly higher cure rate of BV (87.5%) than the placebo group (50.0%) (p = 0.001). In addition, according to the Gram-stain Nugent score, more women were assessed with "normal" vaginal microbiota in the probiotic group (75.0% vs. 34.4% in the placebo group; p = 0.011). This study shows that probiotic lactobacilli can provide benefits to women being treated with antibiotics for an infectious condition.

Vaginosis treatment
Bacterial vaginosis (BV) occurs when the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina is altered, and some beneficial bacteria, such as Lactobacillus, are replaced with an overgrowth of harmful bacteria. Antibiotics effectively treat the infection, though it often recurs. Researchers in Nigeria reviewed 24 clinical trials of various anti-microbial therapies for BV, including probiotic supplements containing Lactobacillus bacteria. They found that while the antibiotics clindamycin and metronidazole cleared the majority of BV infections within two to three weeks, adding a month's worth of oral Lactobacillus to women's metronidazole treatment enahnced the antibiotic's effectiveness. In addition, Lactobacillus tablets applied vaginally for five days were more effective than oral metronidazole alone. Most cases of BV cause no serious complications. However, the infection can make women more vulnerable to acquiring HIV or other sexually transmitted diseases. "Treating BV could help reduce susceptibility of women to HIV," said Oyinlola Oduyebo, of the University of Lagos in Nigeria. "Therefore, it is important, particularly in the developing world, to establish the most effective and appropriate forms of treatment," added Oyinlola Oduyebo.

The effects of antimicrobial therapy on bacterial vaginosis in non-pregnant women.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009 Jul 8; Oduyebo OO, Anorlu RI, Ogunsola FT. Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, F Block, Lagos, Nigeria, PMB 12003.
Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a very common cause of vaginitis that has been associated with a high incidence of obstetric and gynaecologic complications and increased risk of HIV-1 transmission. This has led to renewed research interest in its treatment. We searched the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL) (The Cochrane Library), MEDLINE, EMBASE, LILACS, and African Healthline (December 2007); and proceedings of relevant international conferences (from 1981 to date). Twenty-four trials involving 4422 participants were reviewed. Most examined symptomatic women only. Only seven trials analysed results by intention to treat; we re-analysed the remainder. Compared with placebo, clindamycin showed a lower rate of treatment failure Given intravaginally as gelatin tablets, lactobacillus was more effective than oral metronidazole. Similarly, oral lactobacillus combined with metronidazole was more effective than metronidazole alone. Clindamycin preparations, oral metronidazole, and oral and intravaginal tablets of lactobacillus were effective for bacterial vaginosis. Hydrogen peroxide douche and triple sulphonamide cream were ineffective. Metronidazole caused metallic taste, nausea and vomiting. We need better-designed trials with larger sample sizes to test the effectiveness of promising drugs.

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Oct 5 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #375

Hardcore BUSTie

yeah I agree with you- its hard to know what good supplements there are. I love drinking unsweetened keifer... 8 grams of sugar or less per serving, lots of good bacteria in there

I do know for a fact these 3 different brands are good. Every naturopathic doc Ive seen, or chiropractor, acupuncturist reccomends these
Standard process- they have a large array of supplements
juice plus (lots of clinical research)
and vitamineral vitagreen

the vitagreen is now sold online and in health food stores, used to be that you could only get it from a health care practitioner.

my OBGYN distributes Juice Plus, as well as my chiropractor... =) but other than that you need to find a rep to buy that from
and my chiro and my naturopath doc both sell standard process

so i do love those products

=) I think your going to make a great GYN- isn't that what your going to school for??

although, the lady that works at the health food store suffers from BV too... she gets it every now and than and she swears by that super 8 and Fem-D

OH on a good note- just bought a new bottle of Fem-D for only $16 on sale at HENREY"s -They had all supplements on sale today (every Tuesday) here in California. So if you have a henrey's go get a bottle. =) I usually go to the vitamin shop... but I couldn't beat this deal.

So today is day 1 of the Tindamax...
I am hopeful!!

at least i only take it once a day..thank goodness
=)

yay

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Oct 5 2010, 06:53 PM) *
Yeah, I take an apple pectin supplement occasionally for an extra kick of prebiotics although I don't need it. Fruits and vegetables dominate my overall diet since I really believe vaginal infections and imbalances are usually caused by an imbalanced microflora (which effects the vaginal flora). Fruits and vegetables contain naturally occuring prebiotics, fiber, and complex nutrients. In addition to taking apple pectin, I also take either Fem-Dophilus or RepHresh Pro-B on the regular. I know I'm getting enough prebiotics because I usually get about three bowel movements a day, which rarely smell, one of the many perks of a plant based diet.

What I don't like about a lot of probiotics that are out right now is you can never be too sure if they work. Consumer Reports/Consumer Labs came out with data testing a lot of the common probiotics that are out. A lot of them actually failed and didn't contain the live cultures that the label said they would contain. Only a few of the tested probiotics passed. Some labels will say "two billion cultures at the time of manufacture" which could have been five months ago. Who knows if it still contains two billion cultures when you actually take it.

A lot of the times people will be taking stuff and they don't even feel a difference, almost as if they're taking a sugar pill or something. Or some will just experience the placebo effect; their mind wants the product to work so much to the point where they think they feel a difference when they actually aren't experiencing any real change. I'm shopping around for a GMP certified probiotic. I'm going back and forth between Natren and Metagenics ... I try not to over do it with supplements since I already spend an average of $20 a month on Fem-Dophilus and adding on something else doesn't seem entirely neccessary blink.gif , but Fem-Dophilus is specifically for vaginal health so ... I don't know, I'll have to think long and hard before I make a pick.

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Oct 5 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #376

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(melis19750 @ Oct 5 2010, 04:47 PM) *
I was talking to a lady that works in specifically in the suppliment section of the health food store...
and she took a course about pro-biotics
she had mentioned that they are way more effective when taken with pre-biotics so that way the probiotics absorb more and work better in your body- here is what pre-biotics are: Typically, prebiotics are carbohydrates (such as oligosaccharides), but the definition may include non-carbohydrates. "The most prevalent forms of prebiotics are nutritionally classed as soluble fiber. To some extent, many forms of dietary fiber exhibit some level of prebiotic effect."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prebiotic_%28nutrition%29
I think for some people the Fem-D will def work, they just need to be diligent and take them every day
sometimes it takes a month or two to see results some people get results faster

and some people forget to take them
I personally think since 5 billion strains is NOT a lot
when it comes to a pro-biotic, that you should def take at least one in the am and one in the pm
I also add in this product http://www.amazon.com/Udos-Choice-Hi-Poten...s/dp/B0010EEWU4

which contains 30 billion viable cells.... it works to balance yeast in the intestinal tract.
=)
love this stuff http://www.vitacost.com/Udos-Choice-Super-...IngredientFacts

Yeah, I take an apple pectin supplement occasionally for an extra kick of prebiotics although I don't need it. Fruits and vegetables dominate my overall diet since I really believe vaginal infections and imbalances are usually caused by an imbalanced microflora (which effects the vaginal flora). Fruits and vegetables contain naturally occuring prebiotics, fiber, and complex nutrients. In addition to taking apple pectin, I also take either Fem-Dophilus or RepHresh Pro-B on the regular. I know I'm getting enough prebiotics because I usually get about three bowel movements a day, which rarely smell, one of the many perks of a plant based diet.

What I don't like about a lot of probiotics that are out right now is you can never be too sure if they work. Consumer Reports/Consumer Labs came out with data testing a lot of the common probiotics that are out. A lot of them actually failed and didn't contain the live cultures that the label said they would contain. Only a few of the tested probiotics passed. Some labels will say "two billion cultures at the time of manufacture" which could have been five months ago. Who knows if it still contains two billion cultures when you actually take it.

A lot of the times people will be taking stuff and they don't even feel a difference, almost as if they're taking a sugar pill or something. Or some will just experience the placebo effect; their mind wants the product to work so much to the point where they think they feel a difference when they actually aren't experiencing any real change. I'm shopping around for a GMP certified probiotic. I'm going back and forth between Natren and Metagenics ... I try not to over do it with supplements since I already spend an average of $20 a month on Fem-Dophilus and adding on something else doesn't seem entirely neccessary blink.gif , but Fem-Dophilus is specifically for vaginal health so ... I don't know, I'll have to think long and hard before I make a pick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Oct 5 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #377

Hardcore BUSTie

I was talking to a lady that works in specifically in the suppliment section of the health food store...
and she took a course about pro-biotics
she had mentioned that they are way more effective when taken with pre-biotics so that way the probiotics absorb more and work better in your body- here is what pre-biotics are: Typically, prebiotics are carbohydrates (such as oligosaccharides), but the definition may include non-carbohydrates. "The most prevalent forms of prebiotics are nutritionally classed as soluble fiber. To some extent, many forms of dietary fiber exhibit some level of prebiotic effect."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prebiotic_%28nutrition%29

I think for some people the Fem-D will def work, they just need to be diligent and take them every day
sometimes it takes a month or two to see results some people get results faster

and some people forget to take them
I personally think since 5 billion strains is NOT a lot
when it comes to a pro-biotic, that you should def take at least one in the am and one in the pm
I also add in this product http://www.amazon.com/Udos-Choice-Hi-Poten...s/dp/B0010EEWU4

which contains 30 billion viable cells.... it works to balance yeast in the intestinal tract.
=)
love this stuff http://www.vitacost.com/Udos-Choice-Super-...IngredientFacts

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Oct 5 2010, 12:58 PM) *

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Oct 5 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #378

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(britt8705 @ Oct 5 2010, 01:13 PM) *
So I just brought Fem-Dophilus ($38 huh.gif ) and took one pill...hopefully this is what I have always needed. I will keep you all posted. *keeping my fingers & toes croossed*

--------------------

+Quote Post
britt8705
post Oct 5 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #379

BUSTie

So I just brought Fem-Dophilus ($38 huh.gif ) and took one pill...hopefully this is what I have always needed. I will keep you all posted. *keeping my fingers & toes croossed*

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Oct 4 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #380

Hardcore BUSTie

You know I still have 6 tubes left of the balance activ.... if you want to try a tube before you get yours to make sure you do not have an adverse reaction like I did, I can send it to you.... free of charge, send me a msg on here and ill get your info

but im not exaggerating- its super duper acidic
because well- to be "real" my anal hole was not irritated at ALLLLLL before balance activ
and guess what, not only is my vagina irritated, but my anal hole is majorly irritated. The doctor said she thinks it gave me a minor chemical burn, kind of like a chemical peel on my vagina and anal area

so if i were you, if you try it... just stick some on the top of a tampon and insert it first
because this stuff leeks out soooo easily it gets all over your entire external femal genitalia.

They really need to have a warning on their product. All I have seen are good reviews about it, but you know they could be false reviews... people from the company trying to promote it.
I actually sent them a negative review and all they told me was- we will refund you for the extra product, however the box you opened we cant refund you for, and i checked.....2 days later my review is NOT even on there.

Learned my lesson the hard way.

i def think fem-dophilus is the way to go...doctors even endorse it for oral use and doctors who treat pts with IC endorse it for vaginal and oral use...although yes we know its not FDA approved for vaginal use

there is probably a reason why the FDA has not approved balance- its too harsh on the skin. I think it might be great for a facial peel... ha ha

so on a good note everyone

My Nurse pract (not my obgyn) called me, as my OBGYN was delivering a baby
and she gave me an Rx for tindamax 1g for 5 days taken once daily http://www.drugs.com/pro/tindamax.html
and 6 pills of diflucan to use afterwards and before treatment.

she told me "Please call me as soon as your about 5 days after using tindamax and let us know how you liked it, we never prescribe it because it doesnt come in generic form and its about $60 for the Rx. Most people don't want to pay for it, but because the clincal research shows its better at treating BV for 5 days at 1g orally due to lesser side effects than flagyl. Im really curious to know how it works for you."
Oh I love great NP's and OBGYN's
they really make a difference!
=)
lets pray my first case of BV is my last
and that i dont get yeast after the treatment
BTW it also states tindamax doesnt cause the side effect of vaginal candida as often as metrogel, flagyl, clindesse,clinda, etc;

so i hope im one of those lucky one

time for me to study
by everyone =)

QUOTE(melinda7 @ Oct 4 2010, 06:00 PM) *
swt -- good post. I completely agree! I was going to ask you about corticosteroids. I remember they can cause YI.

I would've bought your balance activ!

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 23, 2014 - 05:17 AM