Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I make house calls... medicine thread
sageykins
post Aug 8 2010, 08:06 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Anyone ever done travel therapy/nursing? Anyone know of any good agencies to work with? Looking for help, will accept any info positive or negative smile.gif Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sageykins
post Jul 24 2010, 07:16 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Thank you thank you!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 23 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #3

Big Fat Bitch

I only know one of those, if I can find her info again I'll pass it on!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
sageykins
post Jul 23 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Hahha!! Thanks AP! I like the propaganda! I will keep those places in mind. I'm not hurrying out there just yet but it's a definite possibility and sooner rather than later. Any PT's in your backpocket? (that plethera of other healthcare workers you know) smile.gif I'm on the hunt....

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 22 2010, 07:44 PM
Post #5

Big Fat Bitch

Denver? Is fucking awesome. An excellent place to live, the Mile High City is! Fifteen year resident of the glorious neighborhood of Cap Hill.

There is an extensive medical community in Denver. I know several nurses, a couple of doctors, & a variety of other healthcare workers. Rose Medical, St. Joe's, Children's, Denver Health, etc. are all reputable places. Check out a bit of propaganda!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
sageykins
post Jul 22 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

It appears this thread has been quiet for a LONG time. Is there any healthcare workers in the Denver area? I'm curious about skilled nursing places/rehab hospitals in that area with good reputations. I'm considering a BIG move but have no idea where to begin looking out there... Any thoughts would help! Thanks all!

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Aug 24 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, I got signed off my training a few days ago. I feel like such a pest sometimes, but I guess everyone is when they first start.

So far I've worked with good people. The older women are always nice to work with. It's the younger ones that don't help you out, or bitch about you behind your back or act snotty. I'm not looking forward to Wednesday because I'm working with the girl who trained me and a total bitch. The girl who trained me isn't very nice either and I've been warned that after you're off training she'll keep badgering you. Her and the bitchy girl are like best friends too.

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Aug 8 2008, 07:34 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Wow that sounds incredibly stressful. I have to say it's the nurse to nurse interaction that would get to me. It drives me mad (mad i say!) when co-workers leave a lot of slack to pick up. How do you cope without getting too gossipy? (Or is the nursing profession as chatty as everywhere else when it comes to letting off steam?)

My bf is considering critical or emergency care as a 2nd career - apparently those also happen to be the areas where most men go. I was casually considering critical, hospice, or even cosmetic nursing because of the hours...however I'm not sure I could handle the science pre-reqs. and the stress of dealing with entry level bullshit (especially the interpersonal stuff like you described HT) might be too much. All in all I might stick to my current field afterall.

--------------------
you cannot erase the reality of me

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Aug 7 2008, 11:49 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Uggh. So I've been training at my new job for the last week and I'm so lost There's sooooooo much information to know and remember! When I think about it, it seems simple- get the report, do rounds, take people to the bathroom, ambulate people, take vitals, pass water, pass dinner trays, feed, collect dinner trays, give people showers and baths, pass nourishments, put people in bed, do paperwork. But of course, when you care for real human beings with their own personalities, preferences, medical requirements, etc., it's a lot more complicated and you have to struggle to manage your time. I've been on the same card for the last 3 days so I felt a lot more comfortable tonight but I'm afraid they're going to throw me on some other wing again by the time my orientation is over. I'm book-smart, but when it comes to real life I get overwhelmed really easily and freeze up.

I get bitchy looks from a bunch of the other CNAs, and one of the nice ones said that there are a bunch of girls who act nice during your orientation but as soon as you're on your own they'll try to stab you in the back and make your job really difficult. I can already tell who some of them are. They finish their people early and leave the rest of the work like laundry, linen carts, etc. fr everyone else to do. Or they only fill their own linen cart. Today my trainer and I were taking someone to the bathroom and this girl came in and said one of our residents rang the call bell and wanted to go to the bathroom, then walked off. It took us 20 minutes to finish the person we were with because she's really slow, and our other resident had to wait that long. If someone rings the call bell you're not supposed to blow them off because they're not your resident!

I'm so nervous I'm going to get fired or something, for not being able to keep up.

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Jul 22 2008, 06:24 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Okay, so I'm a CNA, and currently unemployed. I picked up some applications for nursing homes yesterday and I'm going again today. I can't wait to get a job and see how it turns out. My last job was private in-home care, so totally different from a nursing home environment. I've heard it all- nursing homes overwork you, you have to rush and can't spend time with patients, a lot of other CNAs and nurses are bitchy and hard to work with, etc. It seems like everyone wants to work for a home health agency. The home health aides who worked with me on my last job said no one is looking over your shoulder, and you have more time with the patients. But I don't want to have to drive around all day to different people's houses. I'm not concerned about having to rush around, since I actually like jobs where you have to scramble to get things done, and (this is stupid), I want something really active, so it's easier to maintain my weight. I'm not so sure about having to deal with catty people though. When i did my clinicals, most of the CNAs were horrible, but a lot of them warmed up by the end.

</stream of consciousness>

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jul 21 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #11

the moistiest

*bump****

+Quote Post
paperbag
post Oct 12 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #12

BUSTie

I totally forgot about this thread... and bust really. I've been super busy this semester and I'm starting to think I'm losing my social life and residency hasn't even started yet! Med school is making me into that person who goes home and naps every spare minute they have in a day. I go every weekend to a different city to see my boyfriend and it's making my weeks very hectic and full of all the work I would do on weekends. If I'm having trouble now... how am I going to handle it when it gets hard!!!!

Anyways, congratulations chani, you're finally done!

QUOTE(crazyoldcatlady @ Sep 16 2006, 02:07 AM) *

i wondered if/when this thread was gonna get resurected. i know it didn't get too much traffic in the past, myself included (mostly because when i came home to BUST, the last thing i wanted to do was talk about medicine; although it's so fucking pervasive in my life i can't help it most of the time).

i think there are some newbie medicine people lurking around though.

i am hardcore feeling everything you just wrote, chani. i experienced all of that in med school, and now it's just amplified. i wonder if i have it in me anymore to keep up this pace. today's probably a bad day to post, because i had a hellacious week, and i am in a foul mood. let's just say that the highlight of a particularly bad day this week was searching amazon for a book about people in medicine who changed careers. not a serious threat at this point, but i was doing some serious fantasizing.

but you're done. and i for that i have mad respect. your are a lady and a scholar and you have some balls, chani smile.gif

*uncorks the champagne*

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Sep 15 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #13

the moistiest

+Quote Post
chani
post Sep 15 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

4 more days of residency left. I am ready to leave all of this far far behind me. 5 years of working ceaselessly has strained my ties to friends and family and, I firmly believe, made me into a worse person than I was when I started. I am done with a life where you can't have fun, can't make mistakes and can't have personal time away from work without guilt. I am done with a crushing burden of responsibility and done with working nights and done with never being home when I said I'd be. I am done with every decision meaning life or death and I am done with never getting encouragement from my supervising staff. I am done with doing the scut work of people whom I don't respect and I am done with relying on their approval to keep my job. I am done with frozen dinners and takeout, done with never seeing sunlight, done with dropping my baby at the sitters for 11 hours every day.
I quit. And I am never coming back.

~clears throat~ Now that my rant is done, how was the first rotation of your residency, COCLady?

+Quote Post
opossum78
post May 30 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #15

BUSTie

that's right! although, careful there...nurses are just as good as docs, they simply perform a different function ;-)

i'm in prereq hell right now and wondered if anyone else (future nurse or MD) is at that point as well.

thanks for the welcome, paperbag!

+Quote Post
paperbag
post May 28 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #16

BUSTie

Welcome Opossum,
I'm sure there are probably some other nurses around and what do doctors and vets need but a good nurse?!?

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post May 20 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #17

the moistiest

+Quote Post
opossum78
post May 19 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #18

BUSTie

any nurses out there??

i'm still doing prereqs and will hopefully be able to apply in january.

sorry if i'm being lame and posting in the wrong thread...

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post May 16 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #19

the moistiest

+Quote Post
paperbag
post May 13 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #20

BUSTie

Congrats catlady! Must feel amazing!!! I hope you didn't need an "eye opener" in the morning!

Why rural? I like the thought of doing lots of stuff ;) From all of the rural practice people I've spoken to there's a lot of variety and you are forced to grow a lot as a physician because backup is often hard to come by or far away. I also want to have sheep and a huge fluffy white dog and that kind of necessitates having a farm-type property.

chani, yes, I think I'm going to the SOGC ACM. It's in Vancouver and I've never been there and they basically pay for 50 med students to go each year. I'm waiting to hear if I got a spot though. I'm excited about the prospect of vancouver all you can eat sushi!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 31, 2014 - 10:28 AM