The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

32 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What bands are you currently listening to? What excites you?
acewalker
post Mar 3 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #181

BUSTie

radiohead, and ben kweller now. due to someone sending me radiohead songs...and being taken to a ben kweller show.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Feb 26 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #182

brown delicious

i'm not listening to this band. but, i thought some of you might find this new supergroup interesting. blink.gif

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
knockoutclothing
post Feb 11 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #183

BUSTie

Today it's Jefferson Airplane, Ladyhawke, and Yelle.

--------------------

+Quote Post
acewalker
post Feb 9 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #184

BUSTie

the hives--veni vidi vicious is currently the walking-around-the-melting-city-in-the-stranger-sun album of choice, with girl talk--feed the animals and eagles of death metal--peace love metal being close runner ups.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Feb 6 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #185

the moistiest

a shitfuckton of FREE AMAZON MP3S

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Feb 2 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #186

brown delicious

i've been in an english beat/general public mood lately.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Feb 2 2009, 01:13 AM
Post #187

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(crinoline @ Feb 1 2009, 05:29 PM) *
For contemporary alternative country, I adore Jolie Holland and The Be Good Tanyas . And for Australian country, Kasey Chambers is awesome.

Yes! I can't believe I forgot Jolie Holland and the Be Good Tanyas. Love them both. They haven't been on my playlist rotation for quite a while, but you've reminded me to put them back in.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Feb 1 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #188

Hardcore BUSTie

Everyone has good suggestions. For classic country, I would also suggest Roger Miller who did the soundtrack of Disney's Robin Hood . Bobbie Gentry is one of my favorites. I also love the whole "cradle of Rock and Roll" group that Johnny Cash was part of. Jerry Lee Lewis , Roy Orbison , and of course, Elvis Presley .

For contemporary alternative country, I adore Jolie Holland and The Be Good Tanyas . And for Australian country, Kasey Chambers is awesome.

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Feb 1 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #189

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Feb 1 2009, 02:03 PM) *
What Thirties said.

I'd like to add alt-country's Gillian Welch & one cannot forget the Dolly Parton or Merle Haggard. I like a lot of stuff like Porter Wagoner, Flatt & Scruggs, the Carter Family, Lefty Frizzell, Waylon Jennings, Hank Snow, Connie Smith, Marty Robbins, Buck Owens, Ernest Tubb, Ray Price, etc.

Porter Wagoner was an interesting figure in the country music scene. In 1967, he hired Dolly Parton to sing on his TV show, just 3 years after she was out of high school. Her early duets with Wagoner and her solo material from that time (late '60s to early/mid-'70s) are worth checking out.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Feb 1 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #190

brown delicious

Alison Krauss is considered bluegrass, but i would add her to your list. new or newer country isn't so bad. you just have to surf through alot of pop country. trisha yearwood is pretty cool to me. the judds too. dixie chicks. there is more i'm sure i'm missing. i have a mean crush on garth brooks. i was SO excited to see him playing at the inauguration special on HBO.

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Feb 1 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #191

Big Fat Bitch

What Thirties said.

I'd like to add alt-country's Gillian Welch & one cannot forget the Dolly Parton or Merle Haggard. I like a lot of stuff like Porter Wagoner, Flatt & Scruggs, the Carter Family, Lefty Frizzell, Waylon Jennings, Hank Snow, Connie Smith, Marty Robbins, Buck Owens, Ernest Tubb, Ray Price, etc.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Feb 1 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #192

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Feb 1 2009, 01:01 PM) *
I wasn't really sure where else to post this but it has to do with music so it's relevant. Does anyone have any suggestions for classic country artists? At my work, we had this great classic country cd but I never took note of which artists were on it. So far the only artists I have been able to come up with are Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Emmylou Harris and Loretta Lynn. Any suggestions along those lines would be very welcome. I don't like new country but the old stuff is really great.

Add Patsy Cline, George Jones, and Tammy Wynette to your list. I'm also a fan of some of the newer "alternative country/Americana" artists like Neko Case, Tarnation, 16 Horsepower, Slim Cessna (and any band he plays with), the Handsome Family, Jim & Jenny & the Pinetops, Trailer Bride (whose singer/songwriter Melissa Swingle disbanded the group in 2004 and went on to front The Moaners, with a darker pop sound), and some 'slow-core alt-country' artists like the Cowboy Junkies and Hem (as in, the hem of a skirt). Most of the bands I mentioned mine the classic country and countrypolitan sounds of American musicians from the '40s to the '60s. Neko Case is very much influenced by Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn and their soulful counterpart, Dusty Springfield. Tarnation also has that Patsy Cline feel (particularly in Paula Fraser's sob of a voice), with hints of '60s pop mixed in. L.A. based singer-songwriter Eleni Mandell also recorded a great album of country covers and originals a few years back, Country For True Lovers, with covers of George Jones, Merle Haggard and Hank Cochran. Worth checking out.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Feb 1 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #193

Hardcore BUSTie

I wasn't really sure where else to post this but it has to do with music so it's relevant. Does anyone have any suggestions for classic country artists? At my work, we had this great classic country cd but I never took note of which artists were on it. So far the only artists I have been able to come up with are Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Emmylou Harris and Loretta Lynn. Any suggestions along those lines would be very welcome. I don't like new country but the old stuff is really great.

+Quote Post
StarLightBright
post Jan 30 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #194

BUSTie

I'm really into Paramore right now but their early CD's rather then the new stuff they have come out with, and Lady Gaga, even though she has like one single, im addicted to it.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jan 29 2009, 03:04 AM
Post #195

Big Fat Bitch

Bat For Lashes - What's a Girl to Do?

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Jan 28 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #196

Hardcore BUSTie

Its an old song, but it excites me and makes me dance:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1hD5OlPtw

+Quote Post
mouse
post Jan 8 2009, 02:29 AM
Post #197

Most Likely Procrastinating

aw i love architecture in helsinki, they are so fun.

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
thepointybird
post Jan 7 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #198

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm hearing everyone on the Vivian Girls love! Also, check out this Australian band called Architecture in Helsinki, accidentally overheard them being played in a vintage shop in Belfast when I was home for Xmas and I loved it...

http://www.myspace.com/aihmusic

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jan 7 2009, 07:27 AM
Post #199

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

Florence and the Machine excite me. I heard them whilst travelling home for Christmas and immediately wanted to know who they were; their album isn't out until June so I need to keep them in mind.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
LilPinkElectricC...
post Jan 6 2009, 12:01 AM
Post #200

Hardcore BUSTie

That new Vivian Girls album is really awesome, it reminds me a lot of a similar groups like the Aislers Set and even further back, Young Marble Giants.

--------------------
Barack the Kasbah

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 22, 2014 - 07:08 AM