28 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> why can't I just stay unemployed? the job hunting hell
keenkitty
post Jun 15 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #521

BUSTie

I am so sick of being POOR!
I am working as a VISTA and if my hubby ever lost his job I would be SCREWED!

But the Syracuse Job market sucks balls

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
designermedusa
post Jun 13 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #522

Hardcore BUSTie

I don't think for most jobs it's necessary to wear a suit. Nice pants or a skirt and a dress shirt would be fine. The most important thing is to wear something you are comfortable in because if your clothes aren't comfortable then you won't be comfortable at an interview.

My typical interview outfit is a nice dress, hair pulled back and I wear my glasses. Call me superstitious, but that look usually works for me.

I'm back to applying for positions to relocate states. Hoping I get some good feedback from companies.

+Quote Post
hummingbird
post Jun 8 2006, 01:51 PM
Post #523

Hardcore BUSTie

hello all,

i was thinking of starting a new thread called something like "the finding your passion thread". i already have a gig. i make decent money. but, i ain't gettin any younger and i want to leave my job within the next two years. only problem, i don't have a clue as to what my career passion is, so i can't make any definitive moves towards it. i am actively searching, and trying new things to find it. i wanted to hear other stories about his kind of thing, i brought this idea up in the community forum, and i was told that i might want to check out this thread first. although, i don't think this thread is the right place. job hunting hell is job hunting hell, it's not finding your passion. i have the leisure of finding my passion because i have a "good government job." not the same as trying to secure the food on the table. so what do you gals think? should i start this new thread?

+Quote Post
aes5j
post Jun 7 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #524

so i didn't get a pants suit but i did get a blazer which i paired with my nice shirt and pants. i had my interview yesterday and i think it went pretty well. it was at a law firm and i was without a doubt the most dressed up of anyone there but i don't think they seemed to care. basically i guess i felt more comfortable going into it since i was so dressed up just because it was like a layer of armor and because i did actually look really professional. still, the suit was probably not totally necessary. also, now i really hope i get the job since i need to pay off my credit card that i used to buy the damn blazer.

+Quote Post
zillahgirl
post Jun 7 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #525

Hardcore BUSTie

So I had a phone interview this morning and it really sounded like they want to give me the job, but I'm not really sure that I want it. However--I need a job. And I think it would be good from an experience standpoint. I'm going in next week to meet with them and "see what they do"...but I'm kerfluffled.

+Quote Post
wilhelminawonka
post Jun 3 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #526

BUSTie

I got a suit for interviews. My mom went with me, and the lady and Nordstroms helped us pick it out. She was young and seemed hip. I tried a suit on, and I felt weird in it, but I thought, "Hey, I've never worn a suit before, maybe this is how it's supposed to be". Well, I brought it home and tried it on for my hubby, and he didn't seem *too* impressed, but didn't say anything negative. Then I wore it to this day at school where all the teacher canidates dressed up to meet with school boards, and I TOTALLY saw what was wrong with it. It looks like it's out of the eighties! The pants are TAPERED! And it looks like it has shoulder pads! GOD, i'm such a fashion train wreck. Why didn't I notice? Why didn't the girl at Nordstroms say anything?!? A good suit should make you feel confident, mine makes me feel like crawling into a hole. Now I have this lame-o expensive suit that I never want to wear. My mom is always like, "That is such a nice suit you have". And I throw up in my mouth a little bit.

aes5j, Congrats on the interview! I don't know if you have Le Chateau where you live, but they often have pretty nice pants suits there, that are not lame-o. Or, maybe since it is summer, you could get a skirt and jacket suit. Those always look nice. Don't take my fashion advice though! haa haa I'm the one with the eighties pants suit

+Quote Post
aes5j
post Jun 3 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #527

so after sending off tons of cover letters and resumes i FINALLY got an interview. it's at a women's legal group as a legal assistant. i'm very excited/nervous and then yesterday my mother made things terrible by telling me that i need a pants suit. she basically said that if i don't wear a pants suit i won't get this job or any other job. i was planning on wearing some nice black pants and a button down dress shirt. now i'm more nervous than before because i know that in my mom's job she has to wear suits because she's in a pretty high up position but i really don't think that it's necessary for me to worry about that now. either way, i went looking for one today and the only ones i could find were in jc penny and they didn't fit. is there some kind of pants suit conspiracy that i don't know about? it seems to me that it would also be kind of ridiculous to be parading around in a pants suit in the middle of june in virginia. help me! i'm in pants suit hell!

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 31 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #528

wilhelmina, what about taking a little extra training and teaching differently abled kids in their homes and such? or offering some community classes teaching something you love? my mom teaches private music classes to kids, she does all kinds of weird field trips and stuff like going to the top of the parking garage and listing all the things the kids can hear with their eyes closed and breathing through straws and counting the seconds and stuff. it's like a crazy play date where the kids don't even know they're learning something new and the parents LOVE her for it.
just a thought.

+Quote Post
wilhelminawonka
post May 31 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #529

BUSTie

I'm so discouraged.
I graduated from teacher's college last year at this time, and for the past year I've been doing random things, mostly answering phones and accounting stuff. I've also had short jobs teaching art, nothing that I could call a career, or make a living on.
Well, right now, where I live, teachers aren't needed at all. There are too many teachers on the substitute teacher list, there are too many teachers, and not enough jobs. So, it looks like another year of being pretty much unemployed is going to go by. I'm really re-thinking my career choice, seeing as I'm not even close to having a career.

+Quote Post
kkbmachine
post May 26 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #530

Thanks ladies!

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 26 2006, 01:30 AM
Post #531

sassygrrl

You're welcome!
Good luck!

+Quote Post
vnoa3
post May 25 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #532

BUSTie

Jobs on craigslist?
This is such a help! Thank you!

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 24 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #533

sassygrrl

kkbmachine, I've had success checking out a few books from the library on resumes.

Also, I've found jobs on craigslist and through the local paper. I, like laurenann, have never had any success on careerbuilder or monster.com

Good luck!

+Quote Post
laurenann
post May 24 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #534

Hardcore BUSTie

kkbmachine, your highschool probably has a pamphlet about resume writing. if not, you can search online, i bet there are tons of resume advice sites! there are a few main resume formats and some are better for people without much work experience. what kind of job do you want to get?

i've had success finding jobs on craigslist, but never had any luck using jobfind websites like monster.com. i've also found jobs by looking through the paper and looking at postings at colleges and community bulletin boards.

+Quote Post
kkbmachine
post May 24 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #535

I moved out of my parents' house two months ago, I move into my new apartment (that I am paying for) next week, and I graduate highschool the following weekend. I've never had an actual job (I've done some paid painting commissions), I've saved about 2 grand, and I need to start working soon. How do I write a resume? How do I look for jobs?

+Quote Post
girlygirlgag
post May 24 2006, 12:32 PM
Post #536

Super BadAss

It took me three years to find the job that was right for me.

I am okay. still a little shocked and extremely bored. Luckily I still had over $30K in commissions coming to me, so I don't have to worry about $$. This week is the biggest convention in my industry that I did not get to go to, so I have to wait until next week when everyone is back, to start interviewing.

--------------------
Constantly on.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 22 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #537

sassygrrl

Who-hoo! I got the job! I got the offer letter in my email, and I start Monday. I'll be doing surveys.

Huge fucking sigh of relief.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 22 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #538

sassygrrl

Thanks for the advice. I'm also applying for jobs in Portland as well as Atlanta. I figure I will be in Oregon in a year or so. I'm trying to get into a company that has a bunch of offices.

My health hasn't been great this past year (seizures suck!), so I had to quit my job due to that. And, now I'm looking again.

GGG, how are you doing?

+Quote Post
beheretoloveme
post May 21 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #539

BUSTie

sassy, pardon my presumption, but when i was unemployed in boston, wanting to move to NYC, I looked for six months for a boston job so i could save to move, and my familys advising. finally, i just said "fuck it" and crashed a futon in nyc (i paid a stranger from craigslist to sleep on her futon in her teeny ass studio while she was out of town for a month). it took my lifes savings ($1200) but i found a job in nyc my third week. sometimes i think holding back from what you really want just holds you back spirit/energy wise.

thats my 2 cents

anyhow, i just finished grad school 2 weeks ago and i'm realllllly trying to find a GOOD job (as opposed to the first job in my field i can get), as i put myself into major debt to pursue this career. i have v. little money and not getting a lot of interviews. how long should i hold out before i just take any job?

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 19 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #540

sassygrrl

Ugh. I had two interviews this week with the same company. The first was with four different people asking me garden variety questions: Why should be hire you? What's your favorite tv show? Etc.... I then had another interview today with the company's director. I have no idea if I got the job. So, now this weekend I'll be in the did-I-get-the-job-or-not limbo.... Plus, next week I have to send out 5 seperate thank you cards.... geez!

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 2, 2014 - 02:22 AM