Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Writer's Block
crazyoldcatlady
post Jan 26 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #61

the moistiest

how formal is your writing group? is it structured? is it like a class (pay for it) ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jan 26 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #62

PANTIES! ew.

I think I want to break up with my writing group. There have been scheduling problems and it's getting my panties in a twist. I don't think I need the aggravation. What I need is more like-minded people.

+Quote Post
alluna
post Jan 19 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #63

BUSTie

Anyone written for Examiner.com?

If so, what are the pro's/con's?

Thanks!

--------------------
Rain Blanken
'Rain Strong!'

+Quote Post
anarch
post Dec 31 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #64

Hardcore BUSTie

One Two Fiver - a writer's warmup (via, which also includes a link to 100 Useful Web Tools for Writers)

+Quote Post
alluna
post Dec 16 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #65

BUSTie

Did anyone try the NaNoWriMo this year? I 'failed' miserably with a few thousand words under my belt...but if I didn't have the guilt of NaNoWriMo hovering over me, I would have probably not written at all.

It's a great motivator, but I can't say that it's ever going to get me to finish anything substantial. My excuse is that other writing I do that pays the electric bill. Somehow more inspiring.

--------------------
Rain Blanken
'Rain Strong!'

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Dec 9 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #66

the moistiest

yeah, i'm all about the freewriting, star; it can get me started alright. it's just i don't know what pervasive theme or topic i'd be able to carry over the course of an entire book. i'm a lazy motherfucker.

for all you memoir writers out there, here's an interesting link. sorry it's from reader's digest. blink.gif

thanks for the link, anarch. both of 'em. the first is definitely something to chew over.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Dec 9 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #67

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(stargazer @ Dec 9 2008, 02:44 PM) *
i also think of writing as being similar to jazz. just create without any form or structure. no goal. just write. although, that usually is how i write. then, i go through and edit like a motherfucker.

I do that too, often, just trusting that whatever comes out, somewhere in there are arrangements of words and ideas that are worth working with. Usually there are.

I don't think I've ever posted Writers Weekly here. It's a good free ezine on the practical aspects of writing and getting published, and making sure you get paid fairly for your work. I've been subscribed to them for a couple of years. Haven't gotten anything published from it, but that's due to my own not-getting-writing-done issues.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Dec 9 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #68

brown delicious

QUOTE(anarch @ Dec 9 2008, 01:42 AM) *
It's about musicians, but the larger point is about the importance of just putting your creativity out there and daring people to take you seriously. IMDB says, "The title refers to the many very talented artists that John Carney knew who put off their career by saying "once" they get this and that sorted out, but never succeed because they've put it off too long."

wow. i totally agree that creativity and success (however you define it) is part ambition, part confidence, and part talent. my ex was one of those in the abovementioned about waiting for things to be just right. i was like, "dude, you just got to take a risk." but, i'm more of a risk taker.

cocl, just write when it comes to you. i don't believe you can force or rush a process. i usually do my best writing at 1am - 4am. even since i was a kid, i wrote better at night when things are quiet. i also think of writing as being similar to jazz. just create without any form or structure. no goal. just write. although, that usually is how i write. then, i go through and edit like a motherfucker.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
anarch
post Dec 9 2008, 12:42 AM
Post #69

Hardcore BUSTie

purplestain, I'm glad you liked that article!

Here's an excerpt by Mario Puzo on writing and shooting The Godfather that might be of interest to aspiring writers.

I just watched Once (recently recommended in the Reel Life thread). It's about musicians, but the larger point is about the importance of just putting your creativity out there and daring people to take you seriously. IMDB says, "The title refers to the many very talented artists that John Carney knew who put off their career by saying "once" they get this and that sorted out, but never succeed because they've put it off too long."

anna k, I'd bet the salon and VV writers have felt exactly as you described, themselves, at some point in their careers (probably a few points, really).

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Dec 2 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #70

the moistiest

i stradle two worlds, my adult day job and the compulsion to write a book.

i don't know what it would be about. yet.

the best i can do is a month at a time over at 100words.com, so i suppose that's one small step in the right direction.

i love words.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Dec 2 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #71

Big Fat Bitch

It's funny, but my writing is the one thing about myself I feel I can actually count on. I may fuck everything else in my life up, but my words never fail me. I am 100% confident in my words. I can trust them. I may tweek, I may poke them a little to make them funnier or sharper or more whatever, but I know that with words I can largely do no wrong. As long as I am honest, so are they.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
anna k
post Nov 30 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #72

Hardcore BUSTie

I didn't feel so confident about my writing this morning. I wrote a review of a movie to submit to Venuszine.com, where I've been published before, but felt like my writing didn't match to more professional reviews on salon.com and the Village Voice. I felt like my writing was amateur, and I kept trying to make it better, feeling like I had lost some talent or creativity. I like what I wrote, but I felt like it wasn't as good as others.

I'm also not interested in writing fiction or poetry, finding more strengths with memoir writing and writing reviews, and would feel like that was less creative than writing fictional work. I just prefer writing about other people's lives and work, or writing about my own memories and experiences.

+Quote Post
purplestain
post Nov 27 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #73

BUSTie

anarch, THANK YOU for linking to such a great article. I have a persistent lack of confidence regarding my own writing... it's not even that I doubt my skill so much, but I feel the need to hide or apologize for my work even when it has been published and praised. I have a hard time seeking help with my writing because that would involve revealing my desire to be a writer, which I'm afraid would garner ridicule. I've recently realized that a lot of this has to do with my family and upbringing, but it's also related to the cultural conditions described in the article.

This paragraph really sums it up:
"Anyone who’s stepped into a literary community—readings, performances, writing workshops, MFA programs—will testify to the disclaimers that issue regularly from the mouths of women writers in particular. “This is just something I thought I’d try,” and “I’m not really a poet, but…” are words regularly uttered even by those who made drastic life changes in order to carve out time to write. I prepared for months for a major fiction contest in college, for instance, which I entered five years in a row, claiming to others each time that I just “threw something together.” Later, I applied to a single MFA fiction program, and told no one until I got in. I just didn’t want anyone to know what I wanted most. Perhaps I was preparing for failure: If I said openly that I not only wanted to be a writer but that I worked hard at it, my ambitions could be judged against external rewards—and easily dismissed when I missed out on them.
" [emphasis mine]

+Quote Post
anarch
post Nov 12 2008, 06:29 PM
Post #74

Hardcore BUSTie

from Bitch magazine, Anna Clark, The Ambition Condition: Women, Writing, and the Problem of Success: “If women scholars and advocates who aspire to a public voice shy away or sit back and wait to be discovered, we’ll continue to live in this echo chamber where the same three male pundits make the rounds on the Sunday-morning talk shows and the same 10 guys keep publishing op-eds.” 
. . . we must change the game so that when women writers publicly pish-tosh their ambitions as being pipe dreams, they no longer have reason to believe that they are. 

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Nov 10 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #75

Big Fat Bitch

I have taped this on a bunch of stuff in my house recently: "Our passion is our task. And the rest is the madness of art." (Henry James) For some reason I'm finding it quite motivating.

And yes, I do a lot of memoir type stuff. I'm trying to organize my thoughts on how I want South of South to be arranged, so I can actually really get started on it.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Sep 14 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #76

the moistiest

no memoir type stuff, but i can say i've used 10+% of somebody or some experience here or there in my writing. what writer doesn't??? wink.gif

+Quote Post
WriterTypePerson
post Aug 27 2008, 03:41 PM
Post #77

Hi, all. I just joined up. I'm finally able to spend some time writing that dang book I've been talking about writing. Anyone else in here do memoir type stuff?

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Aug 14 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #78

Hardcore BUSTie

Yes I have considered joining a writer's workshop or a writer's group, via meetup.com. I have always had a fantasy of starting my own modern-day "Algonquin Circle" a la Dorothy Parker.

I have a lot of things I want/need to do so I need to sit down and prioritize how I'm going to spend my time, because I'm coming to the realization that I can't do everything (you'd think this would be obvious to me, but it's not!). I have 5 classes starting soon and that is my #1 priority of course. I am trying to get my thyroid/PCOS under control and lose weight, so I need time to exercise. Also to start volunteering and join the ACLU or school social work club, because I'm in a new city and dying of loneliness - I need to make new friends! I think I should maybe get a time-management book to learn how to fit things in that i want to do. I just have to decide what's most important tin my life.

But back to the subject, in Austin TX there is a Henry O writing workshop, and online ZoeTrope workshops as well. Now I am not really reading literature of any kind....I have been reading more about French culture, cheesy books like "How to be Impossibly French" and "Joie de Vivre," also I've been obsessed with French cinema lately. I'm also reading many nutrition books because I'm preoccupied with my health. I haven't written much for 2 weeks because I was in kind of a slump and feeling depressed, but I'm bouncing back! I just really need to get off my ass and write.

--------------------
"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -Anais Nin

+Quote Post
anna k
post Aug 14 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #79

Hardcore BUSTie

I read Reading Like a Writer too! It was a good way to get excerpts of classic and contemporary literature all in one book.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Aug 13 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #80

the moistiest

oliv- it's totally understandable to hold your work up close to your chest, sotospeak. no worries. you said you would be busy soon, but have you ever considered like a local writer's group, or workshop, or other sort of feedback loop?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 24, 2014 - 11:57 AM