271 Pages V  « < 68 69 70 71 72 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
lori
post Jul 24 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #1381

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(ladyheart @ Jul 24 2008, 04:33 PM) *
hey everyone...i was wondering if ANYONE could shed some light on exactly the symptoms they got. i have odor with my discharge and though the discharge is all white i know it isnt right. ive had sex with only my boyfriend for two years and no one before that. today i went for a yearly pap and she tested me for chlamydia. yikes! im just gunna be a nervous wreck till i get the results back...i hope hope hope itll be ok.
sad.gif

Hi ladyheart! Don't be nervous. It will be okay.

Chlamydia/gonorrhea tests are very routine. Everyone gets those tests. If the tests are positive, then ... you'll take some antibiotics. Just make sure to get treated, and ... have a chat with your boyfriend, who will need to be treated as well.

But don't worry. It's not the end of the world, either way. You'll be fine. Good for you for going in for an exam.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ladyheart
post Jul 24 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #1382

hey everyone...i was wondering if ANYONE could shed some light on exactly the symptoms they got. i have odor with my discharge and though the discharge is all white i know it isnt right. ive had sex with only my boyfriend for two years and no one before that. today i went for a yearly pap and she tested me for chlamydia. yikes! im just gunna be a nervous wreck till i get the results back...i hope hope hope itll be ok.
sad.gif

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Jul 24 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #1383

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(damselindistress @ Jul 24 2008, 08:58 AM) *
Hey, Melis 19750...question. I too have been treated for BV, because there were clue cells in the office. I had the same symptoms you discuss, but no smell etc. All of the cultures come back negative for the usual BV culprits. I was told I had a mild issue with Group B strep in my urine, but that it wasn't of concern, was common. I was given some sort of antibiotic, I believe. How is your GYN treating you...as far as medications, advice, etc..?

I can almost bet you have GBS in your vagina. Ask for a vaginal culture!

Im being treated with ampicillin 500 mg 4 times a day for 7 days.
the bad thing about gbs, it always comes back because its a NORMAL bacteria.
the trick is to get it under control so it does not over grow.

There is some research garlic cloves in the vagina, 1 a night every other night for a month may reduce GBS in the vagina.
I would say, please go back to your OBGYN and request a vaginal culture, specifically testing for GBS!!!

If it comes back moderate, or heavy growth... than thats probably your culprit causing vaginitis...

+Quote Post
damselindistress
post Jul 24 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #1384

BUSTie

QUOTE(melis19750 @ Jul 23 2008, 12:01 PM) *
Group B Strep

Hi ladies
so I went to a new OBGYN
because I was frustrated with my old one.

My cultures- all of them came back in
I DON'T HAVE Bacterial Vaginosis. I never did!
she even specifically cultured me for it this time, and did 3 other cultures for yeast, GBS, a bacterial swab, etc;
and tested my pH

My pH was NORMAL

so got my results, it turns out I have Group B Strep over growth.

which is a normal bacteria found in many (about 40%) of healthy womens vagina's
I have dealt with GBS over growth on and off since 2002, so Im very aware of this.

PLEASE make sure to get cultured

especially if you have A) NO FISHY SMELL and cool.gif NORMAL pH RANGE
because usually with GBS you don't have those

Im never again going back to the old NP- she mis diagnosed me with "BV"
when I never had unbalanced pH and no fishy smell..
just "clue cells"

you ladies need to know "clue cells" are white blood cells. Which when there are too many WBC's
it indicates an "infection"
it does not always mean "BV"

so if you do not have a "fishy smell"
request several cultures

they now offer a culture for "Bacterial Vaginosis"
which I had done this time with the new OBGYN

my symtpoms of GBS vaginitis;

1) sometimes itching
2) pain/ burning off and on in the vagina (somewhat like a yeast infection)
3) lots of clear, yellow, or white discharge (the white discharge was thick like people describe BV to be like)
4) sometimes no symptoms at all.

Hey, Melis 19750...question. I too have been treated for BV, because there were clue cells in the office. I had the same symptoms you discuss, but no smell etc. All of the cultures come back negative for the usual BV culprits. I was told I had a mild issue with Group B strep in my urine, but that it wasn't of concern, was common. I was given some sort of antibiotic, I believe. How is your GYN treating you...as far as medications, advice, etc..?

+Quote Post
p_176
post Jul 24 2008, 05:38 AM
Post #1385

Hardcore BUSTie

<delurks> from what little i know, smoking affects the body in lots of way and impedes the immune system from what it is supposed to do. so, stopping smoking may have allowed your body to heal itself better, even though there may be no direct connection to smoking and BV.
<relurks>

+Quote Post
LauraLynn
post Jul 24 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #1386

BUSTie

QUOTE(cmolaison @ Jul 23 2008, 04:38 PM) *
I would really like to know how many of you smoke cigarettes. Please respond and let me know. Keep reading and I will tell you why I am asking.

<snipped for brevity>

Please respond and let me know how many of you smoke and if any of you quit smoking and still have it.

Sorry.....no correlation between smoking and BV here. I've never smoked, and in general try my best to avoid being around second-hand smoke as much as possible.

I'm wondering if my diet plays a role. I've been thinking about just when I first started having issues with BV, and it definitely came around (and stayed) once I gained quite a bit of weight. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

--------------------
Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.
Timothy Leary

+Quote Post
cmolaison
post Jul 23 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #1387

I would really like to know how many of you smoke cigarettes. Please respond and let me know. Keep reading and I will tell you why I am asking.

I suffered with BV for atleast 6 years. Notice I said suffered and not suffers. Meaning I no longer have BV. There is hope!

I was first diagnosed with BV about 6 or 7 years ago during a routine pap smear. The nurse called me a week or so later saying she was calling in a script of antibiotics(Flagyl) and that I needed to take 2 times a day for 7 days because I had Bacterial Vaginosis. I said "baterial who". I just knew my husband at the time had given me some kind of STD. She went on to explain that it was a ph imbalance in my vagina and you ladies know the rest of the story blah blah blah. I took the round of antibiotics and never got it again until about a year or so later. Ever since I had it the second time I was unable to get rid of it. Everytime I had sex with my husband or had my period that awful fissy smell was there. I have tried every home remedy I could find. I have tried every prescription drug and OTC drug and none cured me. A lot of them gave me false hope. Some worked for a little while others did not work at all. Below is a list of the treatments I tried:
Acidophillus, folic acid, hydrogen peroxide douche, vitamin c, garlic in vagina, boric acid, apple cidar vinegar baths, rePhresh, Flagyl, Clindesse, Metrogel and believe me many more.

I quit smoking cigarettes and I have not had BV one time since!!! I quit smoking cold turkey because my new gyno said that smoking cigarettes was probably my reason for it not going away. I told her all the things I had tried and she said quit smoking and see what happens. Of course it is hard to quit smoking but believe me it is well worth it. I have my sex life back and everytime I think about smoking a cigarette, I think about that awful fishing smell reeking out of my vagina.

Please respond and let me know how many of you smoke and if any of you quit smoking and still have it.

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Jul 23 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #1388

Hardcore BUSTie

Group B Strep

Hi ladies
so I went to a new OBGYN
because I was frustrated with my old one.

My cultures- all of them came back in
I DON'T HAVE Bacterial Vaginosis. I never did!
she even specifically cultured me for it this time, and did 3 other cultures for yeast, GBS, a bacterial swab, etc;
and tested my pH

My pH was NORMAL

so got my results, it turns out I have Group B Strep over growth.

which is a normal bacteria found in many (about 40%) of healthy womens vagina's
I have dealt with GBS over growth on and off since 2002, so Im very aware of this.

PLEASE make sure to get cultured

especially if you have A) NO FISHY SMELL and cool.gif NORMAL pH RANGE
because usually with GBS you don't have those

Im never again going back to the old NP- she mis diagnosed me with "BV"
when I never had unbalanced pH and no fishy smell..
just "clue cells"

you ladies need to know "clue cells" are white blood cells. Which when there are too many WBC's
it indicates an "infection"
it does not always mean "BV"

so if you do not have a "fishy smell"
request several cultures

they now offer a culture for "Bacterial Vaginosis"
which I had done this time with the new OBGYN

my symtpoms of GBS vaginitis;

1) sometimes itching
2) pain/ burning off and on in the vagina (somewhat like a yeast infection)
3) lots of clear, yellow, or white discharge (the white discharge was thick like people describe BV to be like)
4) sometimes no symptoms at all.

+Quote Post
werder1031
post Jul 22 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #1389

so im new to all this... i just started not wearing underwear cuz i few of my girlfriends do... and i just noticed that im starting to smell and i never did before any ideas that this is what i have?? blink.gif

+Quote Post
lori
post Jul 20 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #1390

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(suburbangirl @ Jul 20 2008, 12:19 PM) *
I think the only reason that Clindesse and Metrogel have not been put on over the counter drugstore shelves, unlike Monistat, is because MEN run the FDA and they know BV is way more common than vaginal yeast infections. And there are still more male gynos than female ones, and I'd bet that a good majority of gyno visits are for BV. They would loose all that insurance billing. Either that, or the manufacturers of Monistat have better lobbyists to the FDA.

I don't think so. Antibiotics need to be regulated, because over-use and mis-use created "superbugs" like MRSA that regular antibiotics can't kill anymore.

In fact, antibiotics being over-prescribed is part of the problem with BV. Instead of coming up with a permanent cure, the doctors just keep pumping you with more antibiotics. Repeatedly using antibiotics simply sets the stage for new BV because it kills off all the good bacteria, too. So you go back to the doctor, and get another prescription ... lather, rinse, and repeat. In the meantime, your body reacts to all that medication - the pills stop working, and your intestines get wrecked.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Jul 20 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #1391

Hardcore BUSTie

Have anyone tried using olive leaf, whether it be capsules, extract or tea? I have had a yeast problem in my intestines for years and found that olive leaf (which I get online in capsule form) actually helps kill yeast and bacterial infections. My sister called me about a week ago complaining of a yeast infection she couldn't get rid of for over a month. She saw her doctor who gave her the pill to ingest to kill the yeast... it didn't work. I recommended the olive leaf and she has already noticed a huge change.

Has anyone else tried this?

+Quote Post
suburbangirl
post Jul 20 2008, 01:02 PM
Post #1392

I think the only reason that Clindesse and Metrogel have not been put on over the counter drugstore shelves, unlike Monistat, is because MEN run the FDA and they know BV is way more common than vaginal yeast infections. And there are still more male gynos than female ones, and I'd bet that a good majority of gyno visits are for BV. They would loose all that insurance billing. Either that, or the manufacturers of Monistat have better lobbyists to the FDA.

+Quote Post
LauraLynn
post Jul 19 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #1393

BUSTie

QUOTE(kegom @ Jul 17 2008, 06:37 AM) *
Hi LauraLynn Im using Vital Vitamin C tablets. They have no additives nor preservatives. So far so good

Thanks!

--------------------
Timothy Leary

+Quote Post
lori
post Jul 19 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #1394

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(missjennieb @ Jul 17 2008, 10:19 AM) *
Hi Lori.. I'm afraid I don't have a sure answer for your question. I've used FemD on it's own and the capsule broke down easily. But I would say you have a valid reasoning. RePhresh would definitely be helping more to break down the capsule than not. And another benefit, the applicator allows me to push the femD cap further up the passage!

I probably won't continue using RePhresh every 3 days, since that would be expensive! But I definitely will use it again right after my next period for a couple of times. BTW ladies, don't fear the clumpy discharge. You'll only experience it the first day after you use it.

I will continue to insert one cap of FemD in my vagina every night, and I orally ingest 2 caps of acidophilus daily.

Good luck ladies!

~Jennifer

Thanks for your reply, Jennifer!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Jul 18 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #1395

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(melis19750 @ Jul 14 2008, 04:24 PM) *
Please be CAREFUl with tea tree oil everyone!

I will tell you why. Several years ago after seeing my OBGYN I was diagnosed with a mild yeast infection... and instead of using Diflucan or a yeast med... or even boric acid, I decided to use tea Tree Oil instead. I only used a few drops of it... diluted of course for inside my vagina. I only used it for 3 days. So not very long.
However, instead of treating my yeast infection the Tea Tree oil ended up causing another bacterial infection to grow.
Yes thats right... it made a "normal" bacteria inside of my vagina grow out of wack causing an infection.
In which case I had to go back to the Gyn... and she had to put me on CIPRO for 2 weeks because of this.
I caution you all... please DO NOT use TEA TREE OIL for anything INTERNAL unless directed by a PHYSICIAN!

it even states this on all tea tree oil bottles...= "not for internal use"

I just wanted to warn you.

I think your safer with boric acid!

Well... You might ONLY be safer with BORIC ACID, if you are not ALERGIC TO IT!!! Once again, if you are alergice to the antibiotic "Bactrim" or any Sulfer/sulpher type products, DO NOT USE BORIC ACID. 1st off, boric acid has been proven by most ladies on this board, that it does not CURE BV. It only takes the symptoms away, just for them to return, in most cases.

I tried TTO, I can't even tell you, what, 6 months ago now??? Whens the last time I posted?? I've been suffering from BV for over 6yrs. And mine, is 100% gone. And I have not used a TTO suppository for close to 4-5 months. I can't even remember because it's been so long.

With Boric Acid, I broke out in a rash on my arms, forehead, and my legs. A rash so bad that the sores were bleeding. So, Just as we can warn everyone about all products, CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. We found the Idea of the TTO Suppositories from a poster here, who's doctor prescribed it for her!

So, I am still going strong!! No BV for me, and it's all been thanks to the person who posted the TTO Supositories!!

I'm so happy to here the FemD is working for so many of you!! Congratulations!!

Also, I no longer lurk, and hardly post. And refuse to stress... I think those things have also helped with my recovery!!!

Good luck ladies!!!

+Quote Post
missjennieb
post Jul 17 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #1396

QUOTE(lori @ Jul 15 2008, 08:45 PM) *
The instructions for Rephresh explains that the discharge happens because the product is removing dead cells from the vagina. Personally, I don't mind the discharge, because I'd rather have the icky stuff OUT than staying IN. And I did find that the discharge stopped after a while.

However, I didn't find the product effective for prevention/treatment of BV. So I can't justify spending so much to use it on a regular basis. (I think it's a good ph-balanced lubrication option for some ladies, however.)

Anyway, to refine my question to Jennifer:

Do you think the acidic quality of the Rephresh gel is helping break down the Fem-D capsule? And do you think the remnants/residue of the Fem-D capsule is included in the "clumpy" discharge you're experiencing?

Thanks!

Hi Lori.. I'm afraid I don't have a sure answer for your question. I've used FemD on it's own and the capsule broke down easily. But I would say you have a valid reasoning. RePhresh would definitely be helping more to break down the capsule than not. And another benefit, the applicator allows me to push the femD cap further up the passage!

I probably won't continue using RePhresh every 3 days, since that would be expensive! But I definitely will use it again right after my next period for a couple of times. BTW ladies, don't fear the clumpy discharge. You'll only experience it the first day after you use it.

I will continue to insert one cap of FemD in my vagina every night, and I orally ingest 2 caps of acidophilus daily.

Good luck ladies!

~Jennifer

+Quote Post
kegom
post Jul 17 2008, 05:20 AM
Post #1397

BUSTie

QUOTE(LauraLynn @ Jul 17 2008, 09:42 AM) *
Just a stupid question about the vit c.....what type of pill are you using? Chewable, caplets, capsules, etc? Thanks. :-)

Hi LaraLynn Im using Vital Vitamin C tablets. They have no additives nor preservatives. So far so good

+Quote Post
LauraLynn
post Jul 17 2008, 01:25 AM
Post #1398

BUSTie

QUOTE(kegom @ Jul 16 2008, 10:26 AM) *
Oh my word!I remeber the first time I saw this website, it must have been about two to three months ago.I cried, like a baby knowing that there are other people out there, like me. I have had this problem for 9 years now. Even my sister and mother dont understand. They make funny remarks about 'people who smell'. I have cried for 9 years and when I first saw this website I decided that since I am not an alien, I might as well try to enjoy life even though i have this condition. Like many women here Iv tried it all, metrogel, garlic suppositories,yoghurt, you name it iv tried it. But a month ago I tried inserting a vitamin c pill down there. I did it for a week before night (300mg) and it worked like a charm. No smell for a month!Today i could smell a faint bv smell down there when i went to the loo four hours ago but that was it.Im still not using tampons as a smell barrier. I think I'll stick to the vit C for now. Im just waiting to see how long it will last. But my dear sisters dont let this condition ruin your life. We have this embarrassing condition but how we live our lives is up to us.

Just a stupid question about the vit c.....what type of pill are you using? Chewable, caplets, capsules, etc? Thanks. :-)

--------------------
Timothy Leary

+Quote Post
LauraLynn
post Jul 17 2008, 01:22 AM
Post #1399

BUSTie

Hello everone....this is my first post, although I may wander over to the newbie thread to say hi there, too. I joined just for this particular thread, though.

I've been reading with great interest since I found this forum. Like others have said, I thought I was the only one with this hideous issue, and it was very depressing. I have run the gamut of prescription meds and usually just have a yeast infection to show for it. I am glad to have found this place, and have just begun to try some of the helpful hints found herein. I do have a question, though, if anyone can help.....

A little background: I went to the local healthfood store and bought some Ultimate Floral Vaginal Support--50 Billion, as they do not carry Fem D. I have been taking it for a few days now. I also ordered some Femanol from the website, and it came in about the same time I bought the UFVS, so I've been taking them together.

I've actually noticed an increase in the discharge/smell since then and have also been feeling "sore," almost like I'd had a marathon sex session without enough lube. Has anyone else experienced this after beginning the capsules? Or am I overdoing it by taking both of them together?

Any insight would be much appreciated. I am leaving the country in less than a month, and would like to have as much odor/pain/gunk- free sex as possible, since I won't see my SO for about 6 months or more once I leave. sad.gif

--------------------
Timothy Leary

+Quote Post
kegom
post Jul 16 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #1400

BUSTie

Oh my word!I remeber the first time I saw this website, it must have been about two to three months ago.I cried, like a baby knowing that there are other people out there, like me. I have had this problem for 9 years now. Even my sister and mother dont understand. They make funny remarks about 'people who smell'. I have cried for 9 years and when I first saw this website I decided that since I am not an alien, I might as well try to enjoy life even though i have this condition. Like many women here Iv tried it all, metrogel, garlic suppositories,yoghurt, you name it iv tried it. But a month ago I tried inserting a vitamin c pill down there. I did it for a week before night (300mg) and it worked like a charm. No smell for a month!Today i could smell a faint bv smell down there when i went to the loo four hours ago but that was it.Im still not using tampons as a smell barrier. I think I'll stick to the vit C for now. Im just waiting to see how long it will last. But my dear sisters dont let this condition ruin your life. We have this embarrassing condition but how we live our lives is up to us.

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 68 69 70 71 72 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 23, 2014 - 03:55 AM