Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hot for teacher part III
missladyj
post Aug 12 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks bunny! I had tried searching but didn't find it.

Okay I officially go back to school on the 21st of August and I am at the point where I am convinced that this year isnt going to be any better than last year which totally sucked. I am goin to try to not be enraged by the stupidity of some of my coworkers who think it is cool to swear at their students and act like frat boys or by my division head who allows this behavior to continue.

My schedule looks good so far. I am not teaching 8th period which is the last period of the day nor am I teaching four periods in a row which I did last semester. So I am happy about that.

I am most excited about buying new clothes for school. which is just sad to me.

Enjoy the rest of your summer ladies!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Aug 10 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #42

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

bump for missladyj.

The thread hasn't been deleted, just fallen off page (you need to search all at bottom, rather than last 30 days).

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Jul 2 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #43

belligerently lazy

wait, this thread isn't about having a crush on your teacher?

Well, I actually do have something more relevant to the topic..
The community college I go to just started a massage therapy program, and someone suggested that I look in to assistant teaching, at least for the hands on, as I am a licensed massage therapist. Do you need to have a teaching degree to be a teacher's assistant, or since this is a vocational skill, and I am licensed in the field, will I be able to do this?

and for shits and giggles, my philosophy teacher is seriously hot. Like so hot, that he very intentionally mentions his WIFE any chance he can get, to deter his students from falling in love with him. He mentioned her the first day of class, and several times after. He tries to work a mention of her into his philosophy lessons any chance he can get. When he was explaining the philosophy about how when you love something, you can't just love part of it, you have to love the whole thing, he said, "kind of like how I love my wife-I don't just love how she's beautiful, or she has a great sense of humor, I love all of her, including all the imperfections."
wretch.
maybe I'm just jealous tongue.gif

--------------------
I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step.
-Matt Groening, Life in Hell

+Quote Post
kelkello
post May 30 2007, 02:20 PM
Post #44

The rest is gravy...

8 more teaching days. Just 8. I can do this.

--------------------
The greatest instance of serendipity since penicillin.

+Quote Post
laurenann
post May 30 2007, 04:50 AM
Post #45

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm doing my student teaching as a special education aide in an inclusive classroom - think I've mentioned that before - and all of the "normal" kids have been driving me crazy since, like, after spring break. I still love the students I work with, but I'm tired of teaching them. I just want to have recess all day.

I got a teaching job for next year! I'll be a upper high school teacher at a private special education school. The school is awesome - gorgeous facilities, really nice kids, fabulous staff. My students will all be 18-21 years old with low-incidence and multiple disabilities, and I'll be teaching a lot of functional and life-skills type stuff, as well as going on community trips, doing vocational training, and teaching social skills. I'm really pumped.

Do you all think it is too much to ask if I could visit the school again before the summer to meet the students who will be in my class next year? My other idea was to get their names and addresses and send letters home mid-summer with an invitation for a home visit. I'll get their IEPs and other info to read, but I'd like to know them beyond their paperwork before the first day of school.

+Quote Post
samiam
post May 29 2007, 08:17 PM
Post #46

BUSTie

Ok, I am ready to be done. It's official. Kids are wild, principal is crazy, and I am exhausted.

Good luck to all of you as we head into the last few days!

+Quote Post
missladyj
post May 16 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #47

Hardcore BUSTie

I am officially done June 8th. We start like two weeks before Labor Day usually around August 22 or 23.

don't worry ladies something will come up. Even if it doesn't subbing is a great way to have people get to know you and you get to see lots of different schools. Sometimes you can land a sweet long term sub position usually for someone who goes on a maternity leave. ( Thats how I got my job , I subbed for a woman on a maternity leave at the high school I student taught at after that, they hired me. )

what levels/subject do you teach? I am a high school science teacher and I know that in general high school math and science teachers have an easier time getting gigs because there are lots of positions and not as many teachers to fill them. For english and social studies it seems to be more competitive because there are more people who are certified in english or social studies.

Good luck and enjoy your last summer before starting to teach full time!!!!

+Quote Post
octobersky
post May 16 2007, 07:44 AM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

Laurenann - I'm sorta in the same position as you. I just finished my teaching degree, I went back to school for a teaching degree after spending some years in the soul sucking corporate world. I went to a teacher recruitment seminar at my campus and had some really good interviews. But I haven't heard a word from any of them. They haven't had any positions posted on their sites yet. My mom's a teacher and she said that it's always a nail biter for jobs. She said she know people who have gotten hired in July and August, so don't give up yet. But still I worry. I'm in central Ohio and the market is extremely competitive - it's possible that I could spend the entire year working at Starbucks and subing.

+Quote Post
laurenann
post May 15 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #49

Hardcore BUSTie

I have 25 days left. Where do you guys live? I teach in Massachusetts, near Boston. We start after Labor Day, which is nice at the time, but it'd also be nice to have more time off in June.

I've been applying to tons of teaching jobs for next year. I sent out about 25 resume packs. I'm feeling discouraged. It seems like the market here is so much more competitive then I've heard other places are. People told me "Oh, you'll have NO problem getting a teaching job!" but I keep hearing that I don't have enough experience (getting a degree, passing the test, and doing a full year of student teaching isn't enough??) and I should consider being an aide for another year. Most of the places I applied haven't called me but they still are advertising jobs in the want ads. LAME. Who do they think they are waiting for?

Anyway, we can all make it! The year is almost done!

+Quote Post
missladyj
post May 15 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

17 days left. I can do this!! (hopefull without punching anyone in the neck)

I am so ready for this year to be over

+Quote Post
kelkello
post May 14 2007, 07:50 PM
Post #51

The rest is gravy...

19 days left. I can do anything for 19 days. Really.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wilhelminawonka
post Apr 23 2007, 05:26 PM
Post #52

BUSTie

I can't believe there are only 2 months left in my first year of teaching!
It has gone by so fast!

I really love this job. I have really been thinking about the kids at the starting of the year, they were just babies (I teach first grade)! Now, they are reading and writing and making decisions! It's so exciting, and I feel like I am making a difference with this job!

+Quote Post
laurenann
post Apr 2 2007, 04:29 PM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

my break is the 16th to the 20th. i have class on the 13th and 14th (i.e. the first friday night and saturday of my break) but i am REALLY looking foward to having the next eight days off.

+Quote Post
kelkello
post Apr 1 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #54

The rest is gravy...

Why do I work in school districts that only give 4 day spring breaks? It's pathetic, really. Mine doesn't even start until this Thursday. Bastards.

--------------------

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Apr 1 2007, 09:14 AM
Post #55

Hardcore BUSTie

I am in what I like to refer to as the "death throes" of my vacation. This is my last day of freedom before going back to the grind. Which means holding out until June 8. I can do this. Here is what I did

Sunday, swim meet, nap out late in my skin tight shiny pants and heels with Hubby
MOnday, sleep till 2pm, teach water aerobics, go bowling with hubby, hit two bars home by 3am
Tuesday, chill
Wednesday slept till 2pm, grad school, watch hubby play gituar at his show, hit two bars home by 5am
Thursd,ay, slept till 3pm , went to our friend's club for dinner and saw the most amazing jazz trio then went to the note to watch hubby deejay till 4am home by 5am
Friday- I did literally nothing. It was beautiful
Saturday- went to the spa with my girlfriend, hot tub, dry sauna, steam sauna cold pool, nap room, then sushi for dinner.
Sunday? maybe brunch with some folks.

I don't want to go back!!! I much prefer coming home at 5am to getting up at 5am to go to work.

Le sigh

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Mar 17 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #56

Hardcore BUSTie

Good Luck Sassygirl

although I will tell you the same thing I told the last person who was thinking about getting certified to teach
DO NOT DO IT !!

maybe it has been the fuckin totally shitty year at school that is really depressing me with all the NCLB bullshit and ineffectual administration at my school but I am thinking about within the next two years quitting and going back to school full time for my PhD. I am feeling really burnt out and that I need to stop before I get even more bitter. I am trying not to take it out my students because they are the best part of what I do , but all the politics and stupidity is really getting to me after 9 years in the classroom and I just don't know how much longer I can continue where I am at . this has been a difficult realization to come to. I am just feeling that it may be time for me to move on. Not sure where yet.

on a lighter note, 5 more school days till spring break!!!

+Quote Post
tempest
post Mar 17 2007, 06:49 AM
Post #57

BUSTie

Haven't posted in forever, but...I need Spring Break, as well! Thursday is our last day with the kids, all of whom are going nuts because they can't handle the wait. But, I love 'em anyway.

Though I'm cranky as hell thanks to my newly torn rotator cuff and subsequent shoulder immobilization. Hopefully I can eithe start PT or get scoped over break, so I don't miss any class time. Subs here lately have been ineffective; I went to my good friend's room yesterday to get her kids to clean up for dismissal, and several were playing baseball with a yardstick and wadded-up paper, while others ran around screaming. The sub never even looked up from the newspaper, even when I reamed out the kids, each of whom I knew, and they ceased the shenanigans. Sigh. I was a sub in college, even before I wanted to be a teacher, and I was always circumspect and, well, present. Argh. Even if this person had just come in to babysit, they should at least have paid attention to what was going on!

...is it Thursday yet?

--------------------
Paddington Bear, you randy bastard!

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Mar 13 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #58

sassygrrl

I've decided finally to leave my 7 years of shitty jobs, and start a alternative prep program! I just hope I get in. I'm going to go to an information session in two weeks. It's for 2 years, but I think I could do it. It sure would be the hell out of what I'm doing now.. Just wanted to tell everyone the good news!

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Mar 12 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #59

Hardcore BUSTie

yay spring breakers! i don't have an extra day off until memorial day mad.gif

wil, sounds like you are doing great too. maybe because my roommate is not from the neighborhood or economic or racial background of her students, the parents and even the administration are not so receptive. last week a parent did complain to the principal that her daughter wasn't bringing home enough work, and instead of apologizing for not having all the equipment ready and available for her teachers, the principal got angry at my roommate for tattling. ugh!

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Mar 10 2007, 05:16 AM
Post #60

Hardcore BUSTie

my official spring break countdown is at 10 school days. I will make it. despite the fire alarm that a student pulled yesterday because she was upset about her performance in the multicultural show. Nice way to handle technical difficulties that arise when performing. she was caught and will have to pay for the firedepartment coming out. that is not cheap! I think she got arrested too! never a dull moment

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 2, 2014 - 10:35 PM