Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't Make Me Shush You!--Librarians/Archivists/Info Professionals
dusty
post Aug 23 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

Yes, you need a master's degree to be a librarian, usually its Master of Library Science or Master of Information Studies or something similar. So for instance, I have an MLS. Normally, it is a two year program, but I know of at least one 12 month program here in Canada, I'm sure its not the only one. There haven't been library undergrad programs for many, many years. There are also Master of Archival Studies programs, but then we have a slightly different slant on that in Canada than in the US.

I think the Texas situation probably bears more looking into. Maybe they have a real shortage and they do expect to train their own librarians.

We also have library technicians and archives technicians in Canada, and that is a community college diploma, also two years, but you don't need an undergrad to take it. I think you probably have library technicians in the US as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Aug 23 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

well, i only know photo research stuff, and most people i use i met at other jobs or hire thru word of mouth. but i'd suggest checking craigslist and mediabistro for job listings. mediabistro also has a freelance marketplace where you can post a bio.

And how cool is this? The Feminist Press is seeking an editorial director

+Quote Post
faerietails2
post Aug 19 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #23

donut-lovin' heathen

*peeks into thread*

I have questions.

1) Do you need a MA of library science to be a librarian, or are there an undergrad degree programs for that?
2) If I were to go for the MA library science degree, how long do those programs usually take?

*scratches head* I had another question, but I can't remember it. Oh well...

I didn't think I'd want to go back to school so soon, having just finished my MA in May, but I can't find a job (granted a women's history degree is kinda worthless as an MA even though it's from one of the best programs in the country). But I've been debating the library science degree for quite some time now, and I'm torn between that and going for a PhD in women's studies or literature. I think I'd like being a librarian or an archivist a lot, and I think I'd be really good at it.

I was also looking at some higher ed programs in Texas (where I'm originally from), and you can get your MA library science degree (from Texas Women's College) completely paid for if you're a librarian in a small or rural town in Texas, which is why I asked about the bachelor's degree thing. Because if I could get a job as a small town librarian that's semi-close to a metropolitan area (and there are plenty), that would rock because then I could get a second MA paid for by the state of Texas.

nicklick, how do you even get into freelancing? i would love to do some freelance proofreading/writing on the side, and I'm so close to NYC that i know there's work available. i just have no idea how to find it! i signed on to write some encyclopedia entries for this multi-volume book being published in '09, but that was kind of a fluke. i just want to be able to use my degree some something. *sigh*

--------------------

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Aug 3 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

Moonpieluv, it's tough if not impossible to break into unionized fields without starting at the lowest paid rung, or getting the degree and being hired outside of the union..

Nickclick, thanks for all of this useful info you're posting--i hadn't even considered the historico-publishing field as a possibility before.

Dusty I can't believe they're shutting you down! You'll always be "Dusty" to me...

See here for a ghostly music video by a band called Haunted Love about the revenge of librarians ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne_WXP7lUWM

+Quote Post
dusty
post Aug 3 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

What the stylish archivist is wearing:
The blue kohl at the bottom of the page...
http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/coll...D=CATEGORY20903

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Aug 3 2007, 06:15 AM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

well, publishers often hire freelance photo researchers. if you know libraries and archives more than photography, you'd be especially useful to history textbook publishers who would need help with contacting and scouring those collections. and they would pay the most and give the most work anyways.

we also hire freelance proofreaders. that i know for sure. sometimes we also use freelancers to index or fact-check. again, maybe not your ideal but freelancing may free your time while going to school.

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Aug 2 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah... I'm looking into that, as well. There's just not a huge amount to choose from down here in the sticks, though. huh.gif
But, thanks for the suggestion! I would love to have your job, nickclick!

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Aug 2 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

i work for a children's library book publisher. most of the editors here were english majors. it's not the library environment you are probably looking for, but everyone here's also into books and we do research most of the day. so maybe it's worth looking into book publishing jobs.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jul 31 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #29

sassygrrl

wondering that as well.. so don't feel turd like.

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Jul 31 2007, 09:38 AM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey all, I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere down the line, but I'm am currently looking for a job in a new city and have always wanted to have a job dealing with some area of the library. Now... I'm going for my Master's in English. So duh... I love to be around books. I love to help others find what they are looking for...
Without having any library science experience specifically in my background, how can I get a job within the adminstrative, etc. department? I try to go to the website, but the postings just seem so rigid or under-paid. Would you suggest a more internal way to approach it?
That is, how can I qualify for job within the library without a library science degree and still get paid enough to support myself solo?
derrr... sorry if this sounds turd-like.

+Quote Post
dusty
post Jul 12 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

Sukouyant's library is quite lovely on the outside too. I was there a couple of months ago at a pulp fiction show.

I know I've said this about a million times, but I can't abide it when patrons whisper at me. It annoys the fuck outta me.

Apparently I am a soon-to-be unemployed archivist, as my archives is shutting down next year. How will I be Dusty if I'm not dusty anymore?

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jul 12 2007, 02:14 PM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

that sounds so cool. i'd love a day just to browse that collection. i spend so much time looking at reproductions of images - artwork, manuscripts, etc - that i could use a day of good ol' dusty browsing.

i have a fine arts degree with an emphasis in photography and art history. well, those just happen to be the classes i took most. out of college i shot full-time for some local newspapers for a few years, then wanted wekeends and holidays off and more $, so i switched to an administrative position in the photo dept. at a textbook publisher. from there i met some photo researchers and learned the job and got here, where i've been for 1 1/2 years. it's a fun job mostly. today i set up our mini studio and took photos of crafts for our how-to crafts books. but mostly i'm searching online and contacting photo agencies, archives, libraries, museums, historical societies, etc. we just published a young adult bio of dorothea lange, the depression-era photog, and she's always been a hero of mine. i got to look thru all her photos and decide which to publish. it was kinda like i got to curate a tiny retrospective, so cool. i even took the pic of the house in hoboken NJ where she grew up! but besides bios and crafts, we do science and history books, so i'm all looking at manuscript images of William the Conqueror one day and photos of baby monkeys the next.

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Jul 11 2007, 09:47 AM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(nickclick @ Jul 11 2007, 09:03 AM) *
A Hipper Crowd of Shushers in NY Times

i'm not a regular in this thread, but i browse once in a while since i'm a photo editor for a children's nonfiction (library) book publisher, and i have a couple of friends that are librarians.

suko, i'd love to hear more about the rare kid's book archive....

Hee I love the drink names at that party.
Hmm what's there to tell? It's a pretty outstanding collection; manuscripts, old children's games of the last two centuries, original illustrations. The librarian's job here includes pouncing diplomatically on important artifacts and collections when they become available (when collectors or authors/illustrators die). Most of this stuff is gorgeous, in the way that children's books always are. Beautifully illustrated, ornate leather binding, gold coloured leafs. The inscriptions in some of the older material are priceless and often very sweet. Sometimes they are gifts From Daddy or Grammie, sometimes it's kid's handwriting.

Nickclick, how did you qualify for your job?

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jul 11 2007, 07:46 AM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

A Hipper Crowd of Shushers in NY Times

i'm not a regular in this thread, but i browse once in a while since i'm a photo editor for a children's nonfiction (library) book publisher, and i have a couple of friends that are librarians.

suko, i'd love to hear more about the rare kid's book archive....

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Jul 7 2007, 03:36 PM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm beginning to consider which branch of LS I'd like to go into if they miraculously let me into grad school in the near future. I got transferred recently to a rare kid's book archive which I adore, although systems management might suit me better, still very uncertain.

I know we did this when this thread started, but would anyone mind doing a roll call again? What kind of archivists and info professionals do we have in this thread nowadays?

Me, I work in the public library system in my city and have for - a long time now.

+Quote Post
period_monster
post Jun 13 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

have you looked into Indiana University-Bloomington? it's a small town, but only an hour from indy.
bloomers has a certain charm. i don't know much about the library science program, but it is an
affordable town when living on a meager grad student stipend. just a thought...

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jun 13 2007, 07:32 AM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

i have a couple of friends that went to Rutgers U for library science. One got his Bachelor's and one her Master's.

+Quote Post
silverhalide
post Jun 11 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #38

BUSTie

My best friend is going to University of Pittsburgh for his MILS, he also checked out North Carolina, Chapel Hill--although he wasn't that impressed with Chapel Hill city wise. Those are the two that I know. Good Luck! Librarians are awesome!

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jun 8 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #39

sassygrrl

Okay stupid question, but I don't want this thread to die--

What are some of the best grad schools for getting your masters in library science? I really do this...I'm just dreading studying for the GRE.. boo-hiss.
sad.gif

+Quote Post
zillahgirl
post Apr 18 2007, 09:47 AM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

Good luck luleey! I bet you'll knock 'em dead!

Note: I am STILL tired of people saying to me, "You had to go to grad school for that?"

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 21, 2014 - 04:43 AM