Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When The Food You Love Hates You
ohmaude
post Oct 9 2006, 01:16 PM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

pepper-I don't know if you have tried this or not, so forgive me if I suggest something you have already tried, but, have you considered going to a naturopath?

I had IBS for years, thinking it was stress related and that i had to really restrict what i ate when I had an "attack". Despite my best efforts, it just kept getting worse and was totally affecting everything i did and how I planned my day.

I ended up finally going to a naturopath, who helped me figure out it was really just a handfull of foods that caused the problem, and gave me some gut-repair stuff that made a huge difference right off the bat. Like in four or five days my symptoms have all but dissappeared.

Turbo-the potluck instance was at a LARGE potluck a week ago when I ate small amounts of food that looked like it had no flour or soy sauce in it. Something did, as I found out about four hours later. lovely. sad.gif
The nice thing about a metropolitan type academic setting is usually someone says, "ooh who brought the quinoa/tofu salad. It is divine"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Oct 5 2006, 02:39 AM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

Nope, I think you're drinking enough water...but you need to make sure you're hydrated while you've got these symptoms again, so maybe you should add a bit of sea salt to the water to help restore and maintain your electrolytes. There are some tissue salts you can take which will help restore that balance and calm things for you significantly, too.

The diet you were on granted you a bit of a reprieve, but it didn't cure you of the IBS. Cure means cure: your symptoms never come back no matter what you eat, and no matter what kind of event later comes along to make life difficult for you. If you were feeling the changes come on about 2 years ago, ask yourself what changed in your life back then, because it was the beginning of what's taking place now.

Whatever it is, I can tell it sounds horrible, and I'm so sorry you're going through it. If things have actually come to some kind of head now, then at least you'll be able to start making things better and you'll be healthy again, hopefully in all aspects of your life.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 4 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #23

chacha, i did recently have a traumatic event that i'm still working through but my gut was already bothering me. it's been getting worse and worse over the last two years or so, more in the last year, way worse over the past couple of months. it's like when it first started, irritable belly that got worse and worse until eventually i just couldn't eat anything at all without it being painful and yuck. even a glass of water set it off.

my diet has been getting less and less perfect since i had this kid (he's 5.5 now). i just don't have enough time to spend eating as well as i used to, i make things that are quick. quick for me might be annie's organic noodles and cheese with broccoli, cauliflower and yogurt instead of milk but that's not as healthy as i prefer to eat.
the last two years i've been drinking coffee every once in a while and drinking more wine that just occasionally too.
i really do have an exceptionally healthy diet compared to the norm.
maybe i don't drink enough water.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Oct 4 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

ohmaude - maybe you'll be like me at potlucks...where first people are a little scared of what you bring...but then...they taste it...and then you're lucky if you even get to eat your own food! Its so funny how its happened, but at any gathering now, my food generally generates the most interest! ...And there is something about the care and love that I put into my food too. I'm never gonna walk in the door at a party with a bag of chips and jar of salsa....its always something homeade.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Oct 4 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

Pepper, I didn't ask what you "did"--I asked what's been going on, what's happened, as in what's happened in your life at the moment which has made you suddenly susceptible, when for 5 years or more you were not susceptible to the return of these symptoms.

Has there been some emotional upset, some major unexpected change, some trauma of any kind? Financial, familial, sexual, anything? Usually these events become the thing that suddenly take us down where we're usually quite capable of dealing with any challenges that come our way, including challenges in health.

IBS is totally curable--any illness our bodies can get, our bodies can cure. All you need to do is find out what makes the body suddenly incapable of doing what it does so effectively all the time...which is keep you healthy.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 4 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #26

the raw vegan diet for two months then a five day master cleanse followed by a colonic totally cured my incurable ibs actually. my digestion started to slowly get fussy and then gradually irritable again when i started eating other foods. it's been about 5 years since i was totally raw vegan and totally free from ibs but here it is again.
it's not any one thing that i've done that's suddenly set it off, it's just gotten worse and worse over time and now it's right back to totally sucking.
i still eat really well but coffee, dairy, grains, cooked foods, alcohol, irregular eating, etc, it's all contributed bit by bit to re-creating the problem.
i was told that ibs was incurable, i didn't believe that at all. i realize that it can come back at any time if i treat my body the way i was before i ever got it at all. the cure is in maintaining a diet that supports good health instead of occasionally indulging to my own detriment. whatever the reason, my system is particularly sensitive and needs extra special care.
sucks for me, but it'll keep me healthy in general if i have to think about every bite i put into my mouth!

+Quote Post
ohmaude
post Oct 4 2006, 02:01 PM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(_octinoxate @ Oct 2 2006, 05:44 AM) *

Sorry if this comment is irritating--I know sometimes it's frustrating to hear people telling you to look on the damn bright side all the time-- but in a way this wheat allergy could be a blessing, right? Because it seems like all the food options that are safe for you are going to be super healthy because they'll be less processed, more based on whole, fresh, natural, organic ingredients. You know? So maybe they'll improve your health in untold ways that you never even intended!

That comment isn't irritating at all, that's actually how I've been thinking about it! Sure, it can be a hassle, but I have also been just eating whole foods or foods with very little processing for the past month. I have always been pretty organic/whole foods minded before (My food comes from the co-op, farmers markets, or it comes from our garden/local woods) I had eaten that way most of the time, but now its all I eat.

I also have to pay attention to everything that goes in my mouth, and as a result I have become much more aware of my eating habits, for the better.

One thing that makes me sad is I've discovered a couple of eateries that use flour/soy sauce in food that traditionally doesn't contain it. Another thing I sadly discovered this last weekend is I need to avoid big potlucks. sad.gif

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Oct 3 2006, 04:07 AM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

That's wonderful, Turbo! Mainly because it sounds like these new foods are such a pleasure, but also because it's a really clear sign that you're gaining health (cause you're not sensitive to them so much anymore). It's wonderful that you have access via a local coop and you can get them as you need them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Oct 2 2006, 07:06 AM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

chacha - I did splurge and get some soft raw milk cheese this weekend, and it was absolutely the best thing I've tasted in a very long time! I'll definitely be ordering my butter with the co-op from now on, for the little dash of something special every once in awhile in my cooking.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Oct 2 2006, 03:05 AM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

Corn is actually in pretty much every product you can buy at the grocery store. (Read Margaret Visser's book Much Depends On Dinner--she spends an entire chapter detailing this fact).

Cultures which weren't agrarian in any way depended on fat rich animal foods in order to produce sufficient and nutritious milk in mothers who raised children--and breastfeeding went on much longer in these cultures than in cultures where cow's milk was a staple food, not simply as a form of birth control (because how effective is that, really?) but also as a means of allowing full development of the gut. We're mammals--by that alone we're dependent on milk for our survival, so all human cultures have had to have milk as the integral food in the diet. What they couldn't get from milk, they got from eating all kinds of high fat animal organ meats, eggs, and insects; much of it raw. Once different people began to turn their lifestyles towards agrarianism, however, and cows were kept for their milk, raw milk became an important food for many, many different peoples in a variety of places in the world.

The "special" cow's milk for babies with milk allergies went on as long as dairy farms were allowed to operate without pasteurization--as recently as the 1930's in places like Switzerland (I'm citing that because of a study done on a group of people in the mountains of Switzerland by Weston Price) and even more recently in other European countries where people weren't legislated into producing pasteurized milk.
But here's an article:traditional foods. I also got the information about treating milk allergies with fat and nutrient rich milk from this site--though I do believe I've read it many places when researching food and nutrition history.

If you're avoiding wheat foods because of sensitivities it's a good idea to avoid soy foods as well (except for the fermented stuff, like miso made from grains you can tolerate).

But its a good idea to avoid most soy foods anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Oct 1 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

Anytime, maude! I'm definitely no expert, but I used to live with a girl who had a whole handful of severe food alergies, wheat included, and YEAH- I had no idea how many foods all those alergens sneak their way into! What really fucked her up was the corn syrup, because any trace of corn ingredients would make her react, and man, that syrup is in sooo much stuff.

Sorry if this comment is irritating--I know sometimes it's frustrating to hear people telling you to look on the damn bright side all the time-- but in a way this wheat allergy could be a blessing, right? Because it seems like all the food options that are safe for you are going to be super healthy because they'll be less processed, more based on whole, fresh, natural, organic ingredients. You know? So maybe they'll improve your health in untold ways that you never even intended!

+Quote Post
ohmaude
post Oct 1 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

pepper, yikes sorry to hear that. be nice to yourself.

chacha, I am totally in agreement about what you say based on my experience. I wonder though, what about cultures that traditionally don't have milk as part of their diet? How is that related? Where did you hear about the special cow's milk for children's allergies? When in the past was that done? Was it widespread?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious.

ETA: Thanks octinoxate for the food recs. That was generally what I have been eating, but I wanted to make sure....Lately when I have been eating food other people make, I have been aslking them if there is any wheat or soy sauce in it, I've been suprised how much of the food I didn't suspect contains wheat or some wheat product.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Sep 29 2006, 02:49 AM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

ohmaude, it's a wonder any of us can digest the "dairy" we're sold at all. Pasteurization and homogenization destroy or remove all the absolutely necessary nutrients we need from milk, but they also destroy enzymes and other chemicals which act as catalysts and co-factors when we ingest milk; without these, we simply can't break the proteins, sugars, or fats in the milk food down and absorb any of their nutrient value We then have to rob our own bodies of stored nutrients (nutrients we need to produce cells, tissue, life) in order to get this food to be of any value for us--it's no wonder, after long term use of this kind of milk as a "food", that people simply start reacting to its strange and undigestible altered nutrients. Babies and children who were allergic to milk in the past (even to mother's milk) were always fed raw milk from cows given a special, restricted diet of hays and sweet grasses (foods guaranteed to have a greater concentration of vitamins and minerals than the fodder other dairy cows were routinely fed). This super nutrient rich, super fatted milk could be digested far more easily than other food, enabling the digestive tract to fully develop; after that, "allergic" children could eat any kind of milk food (and any kind of food, really) with no problem.

So many of us were raised without access to raw milk at all; and its one huge reason why leaky gut syndrome--which goes hand in hand with food allergies and sensitivities of all kinds--is so prevalent now, and plays such a big role in many chronic "developmental" diseases like autism. Along with this food source, we've also lost an effective cure to this increasingly widespread illness, and we have no way to avoid the progressed pathologies associated with it.

Pisses me off. That's all.

So, with my little spiel over, I just wanna say Turbo--order the butter in when your coop does and it will be even fresher...and consider eating raw milk cheeses as well (start with the fattier ones first, then try the harder cheeses as you go...ever tried a triple cream brie cheese made from raw milk? Quebec farmers are legally producing raw milk artesanal cheeses in Canada and they are out of this world good. Such a nice change to have really good cheese, a well matched, complementary wine, and fresh fruit as a dessert!).

Restaurants which don't serve wheat foods: the suggestions below are excellent, and I also thought of
Ethiopian (the bread used, injera, is made with teff).

Pepper, what happened? There's got to be some kind of trigger other than food for this renewed sensitivity; and though being careful about what you eat in order not to suffer is a good temporary strategy I don't think the vegan diet actually did anything curative, cause here you are again in pain. Anything in particular set it off? Any one food or food type?

--------------------

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 29 2006, 01:28 AM
Post #34

oh, oh ugh. irritable bowel has sneaked it's way back into my gut and is now back in full force.
it's my own damn fault for thinking that i can just eat and drink anything i want 'cause i made it go away once before.
back to the raw vegan diet i suppose.
such a bunch of terribly hard work, so expensive, and i get so skinny!
i hate this.

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Sep 28 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

Maude, do you just mean "safer" in terms of "no wheat products"? If so, I would think sushi/japanese (w/o soy sauce, just ginger and/or wasabi), thai, or indian. Do you have any Guatemalan places near you? That can be tasty and wheat-free. (Traditional) Latin American food in general is going to be based around a lot of rice, potatoes, veggies, and meats, and not be as likely to use wheat flour. Or what about any sort of soup and salad place... say, a Greek place with some great lentil soup or Athenian green beans and a big Greek salad. Also, if you have vegetarian/vegan restaurants, a lot of times those places are conscious of peoples' dietary restrictions in general and have wheat-free, gluten-free bread and such.

Oh my God, this thread is making me hungry!

+Quote Post
ohmaude
post Sep 28 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

Turbo & chacha I hear you on the organic butter, I have not eaten dairy for about ten years, but for some reason organic/happy cow butter, cheeses and yogurt especially the stuff I get at the farmers market don't give me any problems at all.

Our kitchen floor is being redone and so I have no access to cooking space. I'm terribly hungry so I'm reposting my question: as far as eating out, is there some types of cuisine that are safer than others? I am trying to completely avoid wheat...or anything that means wheat, like soy sauce. Any ideas?

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Sep 28 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah, chacha, I will *cry* when the farmers market ends next month, and I won't be able to get the butter as easily...but I know my organic co-op gets a shipment from the dairy once a month, so I'll just have to make a special order. This week, I'm going to hope they have some fresh cream, and make some yum yum yummy roasted butternut soup. That is my favorite taste of fall.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Sep 28 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh Turbo, I am so thrilled to hear the good stuff's not harming you in any way (although, you know, I knew it wouldn't wink.gif !). I know you won't slather it cause it cost more than diamonds, but consider it a very tasty, extremely bioavailable, incredibly effective vitamin, mineral, enzyme and X/co-factor "supplement". Cause that's what it is, after all. Eat lots and enjoy.

Years ago, I had an "in" at a local apiary/dairy place, who would make pure raw milk butter for me. I paid close to $20 a tub for it. But when we had it, we put it in everything! I still have dreams about the saskatoon berry pie a friend and I made with it, it was so good it was staggering.

And then my "in" moved away! So heartbreaking. I'm still looking for my raw milk source, like it's some kind of crime to be able to eat real food.

Pollystyrene, MSG is in almost every processed food. If you're buying something ready-to-use, chances are very good it's MSG loaded, especially if it's a "baked" savory food. It doesn't have to be listed as MSG on labelling--other names which generally mean MSG include "spices", "natural flavours", "natural aroma", hydrolized protein (usually soy), and there are many more.

--------------------

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Sep 28 2006, 08:27 AM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

I just use the small corn tortillas, and then I'll eat a couple of them. There's something fun about playing with your food and making a burrito that I really enjoy....the chipotle burrito bowls are indeed good...haven't had one in ages though.

I need to eat my morning fruit now - all this chatter is making me hungry!

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 28 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #40

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Oh, trust me, I know there are sooo many reasons not to go to Taco Hell, and I only give into that craving a couple times a year. Hmm, MSG in tortillas? That might be it. I've had some bad reactions to Chinese food in the past, and they're notorious for their MSG usage (though I think a lot are not using it anymore, or at least giving you the option of not having it.) At my old job, one day a bunch of us ordered Chinese food from the same place and about an hour after we all ate, we were all falling asleep at our desks, and just felt run down. We figured it was the MSG, and we didn't order from there again. I guess I never thought about tortillas having MSG in them, so maybe that's what it is. I'll have to look into it some more.

Turbo, do you get "burrito-sized" corn tortillas or do you just use smaller ones? I've never found big corn tortillas (maybe because they tend to be a little more brittle than flour, so I figured they would fall apart if you tried to do all the folding.) This is one of the only reasons I sometimes go to Chipotle- they have the burrito bowls, where they put all the stuff in a bowl without the tortilla.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 21, 2014 - 03:49 PM