271 Pages V  « < 85 86 87 88 89 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
sooo sad
post Apr 15 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #1721

Hardcore BUSTie

mg86...

well, i've had this bv for about 10 months. i started femd about a little over a week ago, gonna start flagyl today. hopefully it works...so tired of not having a sex life with my boyfriend. but since the fem d, my discharge is less...but it's still there. i hope we can bet this....actually ALL of us! keep me updated!!

sooo sad
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lori
post Apr 15 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #1722

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(CanCan @ Apr 15 2008, 10:39 AM) *
Hi Lori, how are you. Yes, atrophic vaginitis, not what I was referring to.

May I ask - what are you referring to?

QUOTE(CanCan @ Apr 15 2008, 10:39 AM) *
When women have adequate and healthy colonies of Reuteri and Rhamnosis and other beneficial bacteria in their vagina, their skin is thicker and healthier. And the inverse. If for whatever reason your beneficial bacterial levels drop - whether from hormone changes, rough sex, too much friction, spermicide use, antibiotics, etc. - your vaginal skin will get thinner. And this starts a cascading effect which can lead to a BV recurrence.

So the decrease in good bacteria is what causes --> the thinning of the vaginal skin --> which leads to BV?

That's definitely new. May I ask - where do you get that info?

It's my understanding that:

the decrease in good bacteria is what causes --> BV

As far as I know, BV is about bacterial imbalance. I'm not sure what the thinning of the vaginal skin has to do with it.

I thought that the thinning of the vaginal skin/walls can happen because of estrogen-loss (leading to atrophic vaginitis). I've never heard of the thinning happening because of the decrease in good bacteria. How does that happen? I also don't understand how the thinner walls cause BV.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CarrieBradshaw
post Apr 15 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #1723

BUSTie

QUOTE(sooo sad @ Apr 15 2008, 08:53 AM) *
hi Lori and Carriebradshaw!

was wondering....after your treatment (while taking fem d, of course) how long did you wait to have sex again? it's been 10 months and it's pretty bad when you can't even have sex with your boyfriend!!! a little update on me...gonna start flagyl today, been taking fem d for about over a week. discharge is less and i haven't worn a pantyliner since day 2 of fem d. CAN'T BELIEVE IT...i always had to wear one. i hope this is the way to go. i'm keeping my fingers crossed...

sooo sad

Ohhhh.....I'm impatient and waited maybe 2 weeks after flagyl..... smile.gif Probably should have waited longer. It took me awhile to start to be able to really enjoy it again -- ya know, not worry that it's causing an infection, worrying that i already have an infection, yada yada....ick. i'd just say go with your gut as to when your body feels ready. I think your gut sometimes knows more than any doctor does. But, that's just me.

btw, one time after a course of flagyl and diflucan, we tried like my last day of flagyl. BAD IDEA!!! All the meds must have REALLY dried me up or something because I thought I was ready and as soon as we started, I felt some 'ripping' and I started bleeding profusely. So, that set us back another 3 weeks or so. sad.gif So sad...... So make sure you're either really ready or lubricated....with some Sylk or something....

+Quote Post
CarrieBradshaw
post Apr 15 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #1724

BUSTie

QUOTE(mg86 @ Apr 15 2008, 10:54 AM) *
sooo sad and carrie -

thanks for your replies. Carrie - I know you are taking FemD, how many do you take a day, one or 2? I would really prefer to take one a day because it gets expensive. Should you be able to see normal discharge coming out though, or no? I think what I saw last night may have been normal. It didn't have a strong odor and I read somewhere that thick white discharge is common at the beginning and end of your cycle. Actually after doing a lot of research last night I started to question if I had a yeast infection, not BV. there is no fishy odor...but then again the itching is minimal. I was tempted last night to run up and buy one of those ph test kits...but I figured I'd hold off a few more days.

I too am getting kind of irritated with the tone this board is taking, but, I just try to ignore it. Thanks again soo sad and carrie!:)

I normally take one/day. However, I felt a little off last week and upped it to 2/day. I'm feeling more normal again (might have been pre-period weirdness or something), but I'm still taking 2/day until I'm 100% sure I'm cool. But I took 1/day for a couple months and it worked well.

My discharge changes everyday....it's usually white or clear. Gets thicker and thinner throughout the month. I think the lowest amount of discharge is supposed to be right after your period or right before. Can't remember!!!

It is very hard to tell the difference sometimes.....but I think after a couple episodes of BV, I can tell which is BV and which is normal now. BV is VERY thick and white and gooey for me......

vaginas - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!!

Hope this helps!

+Quote Post
CanCan
post Apr 15 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #1725

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(mg86 @ Apr 15 2008, 11:54 AM) *
sooo sad and carrie -

thanks for your replies. Carrie - I know you are taking FemD, how many do you take a day, one or 2? I would really prefer to take one a day because it gets expensive. Should you be able to see normal discharge coming out though, or no? I think what I saw last night may have been normal. It didn't have a strong odor and I read somewhere that thick white discharge is common at the beginning and end of your cycle. Actually after doing a lot of research last night I started to question if I had a yeast infection, not BV. there is no fishy odor...but then again the itching is minimal. I was tempted last night to run up and buy one of those ph test kits...but I figured I'd hold off a few more days.

I too am getting kind of irritated with the tone this board is taking, but, I just try to ignore it. Thanks again soo sad and carrie!:)

I know these pills are expensive, and it sucks, but I spoke to a naturopath, and he told me in the beginning to take two per day. One in the morning at the crack of dawn, an hour or more before eating; and one pill in the evening at least one hour after your dinner, so they have no interference getting down there into your digestive system!

And also, even if you do have a BV infection and a yeast infection at the same time, which can happen - the probiotic is still important to take for both conditions. And just incase you have a yeast infection too.... the best thing and the first thing to do to kill it is to stop eating all forms of sugar. (At least for the short term.) It sucks, but it works. I did that, and I got rid of my yeast infection. Good luck with everything..

+Quote Post
CanCan
post Apr 15 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #1726

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(lori @ Apr 14 2008, 01:47 AM) *
What you've described is called "atrophic vaginitis." It's not BV caused by a hormonal imbalance, it's just another type of vaginitis. CanCan, I'm not saying YOU didn't have BV triggered by your hormones. But what you've described isn't BV at all.

I think this distinction needs to be made. I think there are too many women in here who self-diagnose a hormonal imbalance, and even self-treat, and others who jump on the bandwagon, thinking, "gosh, maybe I have a hormone problem too."

I think if anyone suspects a hormone problem, they should be examined by an endocrinologist.

I think it's useful to discuss hormonal imbalance, just for knowledge's sake, but it's really a different topic altogether. I think we should at least make a distinction.

Hi Lori, how are you. Yes, atrophic vaginitis, not what I was referring to. But good point, it is a condition women can have, and should read about it just to rule it out. Or in. However you can have it at any age. Of course it is more prevalent as a women get older, when their estrogen levels drop. Or at young ages because your estrogen is lower. But you can also have a case of atrophic vaginitis just by not having sex for a long time! So if you went to see an endocrinologist, he may test you, and find that your levels are fine. A young woman who is celibate, who doesn't have sex for a few years, can have shrinkage or her vaginal walls. And because of this shrinkage can develop infections easier. But once in a longterm sexual relationship again will come back into a healthy zone - vaginally speaking. But until adjusting to her new sexlife, she may be unfortunate enough to suffer from BV, or urinary tract infections!

Getting back to my previous post, I was saying that sometimes for different reasons women can have thinning of the vaginal walls. When this happens, it's easier to get bacterial infections. When women have adequate and healthy colonies of Reuteri and Rhamnosis and other beneficial bacteria in their vagina, their skin is thicker and healthier. And the inverse. If for whatever reason your beneficial bacterial levels drop - whether from hormone changes, rough sex, too much friction, spermicide use, antibiotics, etc. - your vaginal skin will get thinner. And this starts a cascading effect which can lead to a BV recurrence.

+Quote Post
mg86
post Apr 15 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #1727

BUSTie

QUOTE(sooo sad @ Apr 15 2008, 11:29 AM) *
hi again mg86...

you're very welcome. if you think that you might have yeast instead of bv you should go to the dr and get it check out. my dr keep treating me for yeast for 4-5 months and never did test, just treated me and came to find out i never had yeast and i was taking all kinds of meds and putting all kinds of creams in my vagina. my opinion, it's better to have a diagnosis so you know what you have. my dr does a "affirm" test...it checks for bv, yeast, and trich...all in one test!

btw, how long have you had bv or yeast?

sooo sad

hey again!

I haven't been to the doctor in almost a year, but I have been diagnosed more than once with BV. Sometimes though he would say it looked like a yeast infection, but it never tested for one. Actually, when this first happened I thought it was a yeast infection (I think my BV was brought on by a long course of antibiotics). I took Diflucan a few times and did some Monistat as well. When it never went away and even got worse, this is when I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with BV.

I have had this problem (whatever it is, LOL) for a little over a year and a half. I am not sure exactly what caused it. It all started in the spring/summer 2006. I was taking antibiotics for an ear infection, and I got a classic yeast infection. This was my first infection ever. It went away fine, but several months later I got a pap test that came back positive for HPV. It was the cancerous strain so I had to do that thing where they freeze the cells, cryo something or other. Everything was fine for a few months until I got an infection again. I thought it was a yeast infection because I was on antibiotics again, but coincidentally I also had a new sex partner. We were both treated numerous times and both tested for STDs. I am no longer with that person and haven't had sex in 6 months so I am having a hard time narrowing down what the root problem is!!

How about yourself?

+Quote Post
sooo sad
post Apr 15 2008, 10:12 AM
Post #1728

Hardcore BUSTie

hi again mg86...

you're very welcome. if you think that you might have yeast instead of bv you should go to the dr and get it check out. my dr keep treating me for yeast for 4-5 months and never did test, just treated me and came to find out i never had yeast and i was taking all kinds of meds and putting all kinds of creams in my vagina. my opinion, it's better to have a diagnosis so you know what you have. my dr does a "affirm" test...it checks for bv, yeast, and trich...all in one test!

btw, how long have you had bv or yeast?

sooo sad

+Quote Post
mg86
post Apr 15 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #1729

BUSTie

sooo sad and carrie -

+Quote Post
sooo sad
post Apr 15 2008, 07:46 AM
Post #1730

Hardcore BUSTie

hi mg86...

are you taking fem d while you're taking flagyl? if you are you should take it after also...it puts the good bacteria back into the vagina...it might make your discharge less. just a suggestion wink.gif . hopefully we can beat this thing and help other ladies in this forum... good luck to you.... and me too!!!

sooo sad

+Quote Post
sooo sad
post Apr 15 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #1731

Hardcore BUSTie

hi Lori and Carriebradshaw!

was wondering....after your treatment (while taking fem d, of course) how long did you wait to have sex again? it's been 10 months and it's pretty bad when you can't even have sex with your boyfriend!!! a little update on me...gonna start flagyl today, been taking fem d for about over a week. discharge is less and i haven't worn a pantyliner since day 2 of fem d. CAN'T BELIEVE IT...i always had to wear one. i hope this is the way to go. i'm keeping my fingers crossed...

sooo sad

+Quote Post
sooo sad
post Apr 15 2008, 07:29 AM
Post #1732

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(sooo sad @ Apr 12 2008, 01:13 PM) *
hi carriebradshaw.....
i'm fairly new and just wondering if you have to do maintanence or do something after your period or sex. i'm so happy for ya that you're bv free...hopefully i can be too.how long did you have bv before being bv free? i'm currently taking fem d ..(thanks to lori's suggestion!!) i've had this bv for 10months and i'm afraid it would come back again after i take flagyl. i wish i could be like lori and not do nothing but i'm too scared to not "maintain"
thanks...sooo sad

+Quote Post
CarrieBradshaw
post Apr 15 2008, 07:17 AM
Post #1733

BUSTie

QUOTE(kristen @ Apr 14 2008, 10:29 PM) *
when i got on the computer a few minutes ago i had all these things i wanted to say and so many funnies and the changes that i have gone through the last few days, but after reading the posts from the last day i am only annoyed. i used to like coming here and reading this stuff. but recently all these posts have been putting me in a bad mood. all this back and forth bull shit. some people on this board are annoying. can i get a HEARD!! maybe if i'm lucky i will even get quoted... i can't wait.

i'll quote you! i agree! some of this stuff you just have to laugh at though. good luck to everyone!!

+Quote Post
CarrieBradshaw
post Apr 15 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #1734

BUSTie

QUOTE(mg86 @ Apr 14 2008, 07:05 PM) *
hi all
GREAT!!!! well the past week I have been obsessively smelling and checking myself and just now, after i made the last post, I checked and there was all this white stuff coming out. there is not much of an odor....the consistency is thick, like of an ointment. is that normal?? like are you able to see normal discharge coming out or shouldn't you?? if it helps I am on the first week of BC pills after my period. I know discharge can be different at different points during your cycle. ??

Hi there -- when I had full blown BV, my main and most noticeable symptom was thick, gooey, white discharge. I feel for you honey. I totally know what you mean about obsessively smelling yourself -- I do the same thing....

but ya know, it does take a long time for me to get back to normal after taking the flagyl.....even after the course is over.....

I hope you feel better soon. smile.gif

+Quote Post
lori
post Apr 15 2008, 02:01 AM
Post #1735

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(tabby @ Apr 15 2008, 12:25 AM) *
I realize you want to help others, but by telling someone like Maggie or me that our experiences are not reverant, or purport *my* problem isn't what it is, I tend to take offense to that Lori.

Thanks for recognizing that I do want to help. And just like with each of our own vagina-care, you have your methods for helping ... and I have mine, I guess?

QUOTE(tabby @ Apr 15 2008, 12:25 AM) *
... but please do not tell me that I don't have bv or yeast, when I have been dx with it. Thank you.

I don't know what you have at all, and I said that very clearly.

However, what you've DESCRIBED, is text-book atrophic vaginitis.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tabby
post Apr 15 2008, 01:22 AM
Post #1736

BUSTie

Before I exit the board, I don't want to leave what I have tried, open -ended.

On the 2nd boric acid, I experienced a cooling sensation coupled with a slight burning sensation that went away. I have read that many women experience a burning sensation upon using boric acid before it actually begins to work. I'm not experiencing any burning right now. I'm going to see the treatment through for a full 10 days. Stop, and re-assess how I'm feeling physically. If anyone is interested in contacting me please email me! Tristessaruby@yahoo.com

Peace!

+Quote Post
tabby
post Apr 15 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #1737

BUSTie

QUOTE(lori @ Apr 14 2008, 07:12 PM) *
Once again, it looks like what you're describing, tabby, is "atrophic vaginitis," which can happen to women approaching menopause, and one of its known symptoms is burning, which is not typical of BV.

No. I was not dx with atrophic vaginitis. The exams I have/had ruled this out. As did the blood work and saliva testing for hormone imbalance. With my burning, I have been tested multiple times and came up positive on yeast and bv. Sometimes, just yeast.

Looking at your very long list of stuff you've tried and didn't work - it looks like a lot of treatment for BV and yeast, but nothing specific for atrophic vaginitis. Do you think it's possible that you might be focusing on BV/yeast when in fact you might have a different problem?

Nope! I have had enough exams to rule out what the problem is, otherwise I wouldn't be wasting my time on a BV forum!

As I pointed out before, boric acid IS a known cure for certain yeast infections that don't respond to monistat, etc. So this may be the answer for you, and it made Maggie feel better. But obviously some women in here aren't clear about all your issues, so they've come to think boric acid is the answer for their BV. This kind of confusion needs to be cleared up.

I'm not sure what is confusing about me in particular. I'm a 40 yo old woman, entering peri-menopause, not menopause. And I listed all of the things I have tried, including the allopathic treatments and testing I have had. I have been dx with bv and yeast. I never said that boric acid is the solution to everyone's problems here, nor will I. And I'm sorry I must disagree, after speaking with an ND, Herbalist, and GYN, boric acid can be quite effective in treating bv and yeast for many women. And that is what I have gathered from my personal battle with this. I just happened to come back here and saw it worked for Maggie, and thought what the heck, I'll give it a go.

Women of any age can experience hormonal issues, because of birth control, childbirth, and many other reasons. But the potential hormonal problems have been lumped together as a general possible cause, and that needs to stop. Because it really is an entirely different category, with an entirely different set of treatments.
History of this thread will indicate that not every one can.

Hormonal imbalance IS a contributor, but not in every case. The plural of antedote is not data. Now in my case, it is hormonal. I have ruled that out for myself. For someone else, it may not be. I certainly never stated that EVERYONE is suffering from yeast and bv due to hormonal problems.

And it's not even just about get-well-quick schemes for me, but potential injury. Not that Sylk lubricant is in that category, but if you read this entire thread like I have, you'll know that it's been an issue in the past.

Oh believe me. I have read the thread and posted here before! I know I have seen women try everything, but that is their personal choice eh? I have had the misfortune of something not working for me, ie: hydrogen peroxide set my vagina on fire. But I didn't blame anyone else because *I* chose to try it. I realize you want to help others, but by telling someone like Maggie or me that our experiences are not reverant, or purport *my* problem isn't what it is, I tend to take offense to that Lori. I have been suffering for YEARS and, frankly you do not know my body any more than I know yours or anyone elses here. I respect the fact that you have done your research, and appreciate anyone's input, but please do not tell me that I don't have bv or yeast, when I have been dx with it. Thank you.

I agree with that. That is why I think before advocating a course of treatment, we should provide good explanations and research for why we've chosen it, so each reader can make an informed decision about whether it's an appropriate option for them.

That's exactly what I have done albeit, not scientific information regarding my own body. I'll make it simple by jotting down what works, or doesn't work for *me*. I cannot be bothered to tell any other woman what they shouldn't try though. That is up to them.

I'm going to leave the board and find another place to discuss this. I'm not feeling very comfortable here anymore.

+Quote Post
kristen
post Apr 14 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #1738

BUSTie

when i got on the computer a few minutes ago i had all these things i wanted to say and so many funnies and the changes that i have gone through the last few days, but after reading the posts from the last day i am only annoyed. i used to like coming here and reading this stuff. but recently all these posts have been putting me in a bad mood. all this back and forth bull shit. some people on this board are annoying. can i get a HEARD!! maybe if i'm lucky i will even get quoted... i can't wait.

+Quote Post
mg86
post Apr 14 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #1739

BUSTie

hi all
GREAT!!!! well the past week I have been obsessively smelling and checking myself and just now, after i made the last post, I checked and there was all this white stuff coming out. there is not much of an odor....the consistency is thick, like of an ointment. is that normal?? like are you able to see normal discharge coming out or shouldn't you?? if it helps I am on the first week of BC pills after my period. I know discharge can be different at different points during your cycle. ??

+Quote Post
mg86
post Apr 14 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #1740

BUSTie

ok, its been about a week since i took the flagyl and so far so good - i THINK. i am driving myself nuts with checking and sniffing...I am just afraid I'm going to wake up the next day and it will be back. Before I had this thing with BV, I never obsessed so to speak over my discharge. so I am not sure if what I am smelling is normal or not. It is not an overpowering smell, but if I smell it enough I start to think it smells like BV again. I dont mean to get too graphic but if I stick a finger up there and take it out, there is discharge on it, although not all white or gooey or anything. is that normal?? its been so long since i've been normal down there, i'm not so sure anymore

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 85 86 87 88 89 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 21, 2014 - 06:01 PM