The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hey fat Ass! Why is sizism still an acceptable prejudice?
jemisoutrageous
post Dec 29 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fbwsh9Iw_w

--------------------
Oh, Magoo---you've done it again!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jemisoutrageous
post Dec 29 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #42

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Dec 4 2008, 10:22 PM) *
This pissed me off.

Hi, Ricki Lake. YOU WOULD NOT HAVE A CAREER IN ENTERTAINMENT HAD YOU NOT BEEN *FAT*. You were were cast as Tracy Turnblad beacuse you were a fat girl that had the moves. A fat girl that was unabashed & not ashamed of being fat. Now that your career is in the tank, you step out in Legere when you've done NOTHING to speak of in YEARS. I don't fault you for becoming more healthy, but I don't think it's right to castigate the big girls now that you are skinny.

I would love to see Beth Ditto fuck your shit up.

High kick Hick kick Hick kick Jazz hands High kick.

He head is still 5 million fucking lbs. and she can't erase that like she's trying to erase history, sizist self-hating fucking asshole.

--------------------
Oh, Magoo---you've done it again!

+Quote Post
anarch
post Dec 9 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #43

Hardcore BUSTie

"I don't want to perpetuate that obsession," well too bad because the way she talks about it does nothing but rerun the same old. Ick.

Coincidentally, I came in here to post this Ask Metafilter thread: my body image just always makes me miserable unless I'm like, actively defeating the thing about it that bothers me (my weight). Unless I'm dropping a pound a week, I am in a state of "don't think about it you're fabulous don't think about it you're fabulous don't think about it OH GOD SOB SOB SOB." . . . I'm asking for tips on fighting this fear and self-hate that has had me in tears now and then, and not infrequently, for over 20 years. . . . I would like to stabilize my body image, and accept my body as it is.

There are some great answers and links in the thread. A nice antidote to the Ricki Lake take.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Dec 4 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #44

Big Fat Bitch

This pissed me off.

Hi, Ricki Lake. YOU WOULD NOT HAVE A CAREER IN ENTERTAINMENT HAD YOU NOT BEEN *FAT*. You were were cast as Tracy Turnblad beacuse you were a fat girl that had the moves. A fat girl that was unabashed & not ashamed of being fat. Now that your career is in the tank, you step out in Legere when you've done NOTHING to speak of in YEARS. I don't fault you for becoming more healthy, but I don't think it's right to castigate the big girls now that you are skinny.

I would love to see Beth Ditto fuck your shit up.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Oct 17 2008, 04:12 AM
Post #45

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Gah, that's awful. Speaking of offensiveness on other forums we post on, someone in one I post on said they were having to get a restraining order because a customer from the store she works at has become obsessed with her. This is the second time she's had issues with a customer (don't know what kind of store, or if it's the same one as the first time it happened.) They're transferring her to another store location, but when she was talking to the cop to file the report, he actually told her, "maybe you should just eat a bunch of chocolate and let yourself go and this wouldn't keep happening to you." ohmy.gif

Un-fucking-believable. No, actually, all too believable and just fucking infuriating. mad.gif

I told her that ordinarily I'd say she should report him, but if she's going to be depending on police protection, maybe that's not such a good idea. Grr.

P.S. Welcome to Bust! Swing by the Newbies thread and introduce yourself. Couple of suggestions- if you'd like to start a new thread, run it past us in The Community Forum. We're self-moderated, so we try to keep new threads to a minimum, unless it's something that really hasn't been covered. We're always happy to direct you to an existing thread if you're not sure.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
camaro
post Oct 17 2008, 01:16 AM
Post #46

on one of my other message boards, this guy is the biggest jerk ever.. eating disorder troll
supporting eating disorders.

he linked this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKPaxD61lwo

and had this to say

Saw this on a myspace bulliten and thought to myself.....
We need to put an end to this crap.
And end to what?
And end to women being able to post this shit online.
All this will do is encourage girls to eat MORE.
We don't have enough physically fit women anymore;
This garbage comes around and encourages girls to eat more.
The fat will get fatter and the fit will eat more comfortably.
Is that what we really want?
Never Never Never will I say. . .
"Ahh, we need more FAT women"

here's a link to the original message. this stuff pisses me off to no end.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003469

+Quote Post
anarch
post Oct 14 2008, 03:03 PM
Post #47

Hardcore BUSTie

from Samhita at Feministing: It is the worst feeling in the world to hate yourself because of your body weight and one of the deepest wounds in my psyche. My mom is starting to understand the impact it has on my emotional/mental health and I have worked hard not to take it personally and recognize that she doesn't mean it to hurt me. But that doesn't always change the way I internalize it.

What are your survival techniques?

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Jul 8 2008, 05:32 AM
Post #48

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

*sniff sniff*

Something smells like spam. mad.gif

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Apr 10 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #49

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(neurotic.nelly @ Apr 8 2008, 06:39 PM) *
ETA: In highschool, I didn't know any girls with an eating disorder, but then, I think that is b/c it was a predominately working class area. Maybe, some of the girls were from a middle working class background. The first time I met girls with eating disorders was at college: a private, upper middle class school.

Yeah, it was a private school in an upper middle class neighborhood. Socio-economic status plays a huge role in eating disorders. Many of my friend's mothers (though thankfully not mine) spent literally all of their time on their appearance. Diet, tan, religious exercise, and plastic surgery. It's a sad way to live.

I also agree with deschatsrouge, prejudice is just lazy and stupid.

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Apr 10 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #50

A symphony of atrocities.

I feel sizism still exists for the same reason racism still exists. It something we can see to use to judge others. People can easily apply a stereotype to something they can see. It's laziness.

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18

+Quote Post
neurotic.nelly
post Apr 8 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #51

Hardcore BUSTie

deleted

--------------------
Earth: A Satanically ran planet where 98% of it's inhabitants are unquestioning, conformist idiots who are totally controlled and manipulated by the Satanic governments of the world and have been made complacent by said governments, through rigorous brainwashing.

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Apr 8 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

From the second article -
It's a total fallacy that young girls are being pressured into near-starving themselves into being too thin.

Take a look around you and you will see that the total reverse is true. Teenage girls aren't in danger of falling victim to an epidemic of anorexia - but of obesity.

Really? Because I went to a highschool where it was shameful to break 100 pounds. In a class of 120, we had several girls faint from starvation and fatigue caused by purging exercise. Two girls, just in my class, were hospitalized. I remember having a society-supported ED from as young as 11 years old. My parents pulled me from gymnastics when I dropped to 60 pounds at age 13. Most girls I grew up with struggled with the same problem. The pervasive presence of eating disorders in teenage girls is in no way a fallacy.

This article's assertion that ONE average weight positive role model is instigating the obesity epidemic IS a total fallacy. Ms. Marshall promotes a healthy lifestyle AND a healthy body image. She is not telling young girls to eat Mcdonalds and skip the exercise. She is telling them to accept and celebrate who they are. I applaud her bravery and perseverance.

I actually believe that the obesity epidemic only strengthens the hold of EDs on our youth. Young girls are drowning in images of emaciated women. They are being sent a message that in a nation of overweight people, only the thinnest women are valuable. My heartfelt thanks to Ms. Marshall for proving how false that message really is.

thanks for sharing, Pugs!

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Apr 8 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #53

Chloe Marshall Article 1

Chloe Marshall Article 2

comments??

+Quote Post
josje
post Jul 2 2007, 07:09 AM
Post #54

BUSTie

yeah, I am slowly learning to love my body. I mean I used to eat junk everyday and I am slowly learning to treat myself better. It is easier said than done but I am getting there. I am still not what I used to expect myself to look like but hey, I am happy. It is amazing what completely cutting out fashion magazines can do for your self esteem. I mean you still see those images other places but it is one less way to brainwash you. It is sick once you think about it.

I like that knorl

+Quote Post
knorl05
post Jun 24 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #55

Hardcore BUSTie

josje i do agree..

candycane, here's something great someone told me a while back "there is no try, only do" it took me a while to be able to embrace it but i still think it rings true

--------------------
We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jun 24 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #56

Hardcore BUSTie

josje, I agree with you. I think it's one thing to say that you love your body but it's another thing to say that you love your body and actually treat it properly! I know that I don't do it, I eat junk food, drink, etc. but I'm trying to stop and feed myself healthy foods because I deserve to have a good, healthy body.

+Quote Post
josje
post Jun 21 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #57

BUSTie

wow, i just realized that i said almost the exact same thing as j'adore biscut

+Quote Post
josje
post Jun 21 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #58

BUSTie

I just want to say that for obvious reasons sizism is disgusting, and the media is disgusting for promoting it

But I think there is something to be said for people who disrespect their body by either depriving it or over-feeding it. How can you love your body and constantly abuse it? I realize that everyone comes in different shapes and everyone's healthy weight is higher but I know that a lot of people who claim to love their bodies go home at night and abuse their bodies by gorging themselves to reliever stress or whatever their reasons.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jun 21 2007, 01:01 PM
Post #59

Hardcore BUSTie

I'll say those ads backfired. I'll also say whoever took and then chose those photos of those amazingly beautiful and sexy women did so deliberately, and I think they were very much trying to subvert the stupid pseudo-yogurt company. "Men's tastes never change" is absolutely right: all those women are just like those countless, ancient "goddess" statuettes and figurines and statues and monuments of huge women, with ample thighs, breasts, hips, you name it. And I propose that these women in this campaign were presented as stunning, iconic, and arousing on purpose, to look as much like those ancient goddesses as possible.

Some of these goddess icons and images are so ancient and so powerful that we've never been able to let go of their hold on us, and that goes for men, especially (though really, many men just won't admit it because they're scared of what their buddies will say about them. Their buddies are all thinking just like they are!). These "tastes" are hundreds of thousands of years old, and despite whatever some woman-hating, junk-pseudo-lo-fat-yogurt manufacturer has to say about it, they are not changing anytime soon.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jun 20 2007, 09:47 AM
Post #60

Hardcore BUSTie

I just read an article in a magazine (I cannot, for the life of me, remember which magazine I read this in) about black men and new magazines (kinda like FHM and Maxim) geared towards black men, featuring photos of women they fantasize about.

None of these magazines feature women who are the skinny ideal. Actually, all the women shown and interviewed in the article were far more like what we would consider "big". Big breasts, big butts. And in one interview with one of the publishers, he talks about why: he said that after talking to and watching the behaviour of groups of men from all ages in the community, they would look at all kinds of women who walked by--big, tall, petite, everyday women. They talked about desiring all kinds of women, with big thighs, big butts, ample breasts, women we'd never see in a fashion magazine or in Hollywood, but the kind of women we see all the time, everywhere, around us. The publisher stated emphatically that there's only one kind of woman none of the men he's ever talked to or interviewed or researched for his publication never talked about, and that is the tall, skinny, fashion model ideal.

Oh, just remembered: it was the Village Voice, from about a month ago.

So, it seems that beauty ideal simply isn't being bought whole hog, as it were, by everyone in the world--it's just part of the hegemony.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 21, 2014 - 02:13 AM