Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Girl With Bad Skin- All About Adult Acne
stargazer
post May 20 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #41

brown delicious

Artstar, I have a similar history with benzoyl peroxide. I have had skin reactions. Proactiv worked for me in my mid20s, but, my skin built a tolerance and it became ineffective. Plus, with aging, my skin has become drier. When I went to the dermatologist in my early 30s for cystic acne, the creams he gave me really were too harsh for my skin. I told the dermie about my history with benzoyl peroxide and my current reaction to the creams. He said I was not applying the creams properly. Uh, no. I should've gotten a different dermie after that. Oh well. I took antibiotics and Accutane at the age of 19. Both worked well; however, antibiotics were not helping me in my 30s. I think I developed some type of antibiotic resistant form of acne (after thorough research online recently). I wish my dermie would've gone the extra mile instead of pumping me with more antibiotics, creams, and laser treatments which were not working at all for me. So I just went cold turkey on the stuff. I think I will return to a dermie for cosmetic stuff like skin resurfacing for my acne scars.

I don't know if my info is helpful, but, I would totally listen to your gut about how you want to treat your skin. Make sure you find a doc that will listen to your concerns and a willingness to work with you. I'm taking my own advice when I finally go to a dermie. Let us know how things work for you.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
angie_21
post May 20 2009, 06:35 PM
Post #42

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi girls, I am checking out the thread partly because I just came off the pill and am having minor breakouts, and partly because I am looking for advice with my boyfriend's back acne problem. He's too embarrased to go to a doctor about it, so does anyone have a good recommendaiton for over-the-counter solutions for body acne?

I did have average to bad acne on my face from 18-23, no massive breakouts, but also no days with fully clear skin. he only thing that worked was going on the pill.... but it so wasn't worth it! I've been using the Clean & Clear benzoyl peroxide and it seems to work for mild cases, and keeps them from returning. As for antibiotics, couple of my girl-friends used them for about half a year (also both for back acne!) and it didn't come back when they stopped. I would be wary of using them longer than that, myself.

Some one mentioned face washes that won't irritate the skin - I love the Tea Tree Oil wash and oil-free moisturiser from the Body Shop. It works great for me, and they also have a toner, spot treatment stick (not really helpful for anything but blackheads) and night treatment lotion.

+Quote Post
dayglowpink
post May 20 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #43

Hardcore BUSTie

I was extremely reluctant to take antibiotics. I had been dealing with my acne for YEARS before I finally broke down and took doxycycline. I'm really glad I did. It was the only thing that really cleared up my skin, and it really helped with the neck and jawline ones. I took it for about a year and then weaned myself off about six months ago. I break out a little more now than I did when I was on it, but it's much better than it was before I had taken it. I did have some problems with yeast infections while I was on doxycycline. I only got nauseated if I took it on an empty stomach. I definitely had to take it with food. There is a new formulation of it called Oracea that is an extended release version. You take a lower dose since it's extended release. Supposedly it has less of an antibiotic effect and only gives you the anti-inflammatory effects and thus would theoretically avoid some of the antibiotic side effects. My dermatology NP said that it might be a marketing thing but that it could possibly be better for some people. It's only available in the brand name, not generic, so it would be more expensive for most insurance plans. If I need to go back on, that's what I am going to try to see if it cuts down on the yeast problems.

I use three different topical prescriptions, Retin-A micro, Finacea, and Duac. I hate having to use all this stuff, but every time I have tried to go without them, my acne has come back with a vengeance, so I'm resigned for now. The topical creams have helped a lot with my red marks and scars, but it's taken at least a year and a half of regular use to see a difference.

+Quote Post
artstar
post May 19 2009, 09:14 PM
Post #44

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks so much for your response, Kari smile.gif

It's good to know the antibiotics might work. I will probably end up taking them, but it seems as if my skin is wanting to clear up a little now. If it flares up again I'll probably give them a try. It's the ones that I get on my throat under my jawline that are the worse. I am lucky I don't have too many scars from those, but I do have some pretty bad red marks on my face, mainly on my right side. For some reason my skin's been the worst on the right side of my face since the breakouts started...wtf?! I don't even sleep on that side and I have started keeping my phone clean. I actually don't even hold the phone to my face anymore. Still get them on that side a lot...grrr. I am still using the Cleocin and it seems to be drying some of them up a bit..yay! Some look a little red but it might just be drawing them out.

I am not too crazy about taking the pill. I did try it once, when I was about 18 (Mircette, I think) and it didn't go well. Went a little bit nutty and had constant nauseous. I would prefer my period to come back naturally, which I think it is trying to do. I had some spotting last week and all the PMS symptoms (including horrible breakout) just no full period yet. I really hope it was just the weight loss plus stress and not PCOS or anything more serious.

If I do decide to go on the pill, does anyone know which one might the best at controlling acne or at least not making your skin worse? I know everyone's body reacts differently, but I have read that Yaz or Yasmin are both good for clearing hormone related acne.

+Quote Post
kari
post May 19 2009, 07:31 AM
Post #45

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi, artstar. I've taken antibiotics for acne & they worked great for me. I am also prone to yeast infections, but didn't have any problem while taking the medication. The only thing to beware of...it it directs you to take it with a glass of water, do so. I made the mistake once of not doing that, & then going to bed, and I got terrible acid reflux. The antibiotic I've got now is minocycline, but I think I've had doxycycline in the past. I started taking it when I was having breakouts on my back & shoulders. I took it for a relatively short time, til things got under control. I still have some & I take it when I have a flare up. It works well, and I usually only have to take it for a few days. Also, my derm told me that some women eventually only take it the week or so prior to their periods.

I think I have also used cleocin-T in the past, but it's been a while & I don't really have any info on it, sorry.

There are a wide variety of topical meds out there, if the one you have doesn't work for you, or irritates your skin, your derm can give you something else. I know it's frustrating, but I also know how maddening it is to have acne that won't go away.

Hang in there.

+Quote Post
artstar
post May 19 2009, 02:07 AM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey everyone,

This my first post in this thread. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

I have had some mild to moderate acne ( mainly on my jawline, neck, and right cheek) for about the past year. I finally broke down and went because everything over the counter was just making it worse. I have had some mild to moderate acne ( mainly on my jawline, neck, and right cheek) for about the past year. I think it is caused by my hormones. I am 25 and I have never had skin this bad. My period has been irregular for about the past year as well. Then I lost some weight due to stress last year and my period just dissapeared with it. The last one I had was last November. I've gained some weight back and am waiting for my period to return. I am going to be seeing my doctor on June 2nd for a pap and will ask her about going some type of birth control to help regulate my period and and possibly help my acne as well. The dermatologist also said if I could get my hormones regulated my acne might improve.

Anyhoo, in the meantime the dermatologist gave me a script for 150 mg Doryx (doxycycline) to take once a day, Cleocin lotion to apply twice daily and a 7 % benzoyl peroxide wash I can try. I have sensitive skin so all this really scares me. Plus, I am not too thrilled about taking an antibiotic daily. I know they can wreak havoc on your body (upset stomach, yeast infections, etc.) I plan on taking some probiotics with it, if I do start it.

I starting using the Cleocin-T twice a day yesterday. It already looks like it has helped one pimple that has been under the skin on my forehead for a week now, so that promising. I haven't tried the Benzo wash because benzoyl peroxide had always irritated my skin in the past. I always end up just using plain 'ol Dove beauty bar for sensitive skin on my face. Have never been able to find a good cleanser that doesn't irritate me, even Cetaphil.

I am debating whether I should wait and go to my doctor first to get a checkup and maybe try the pill to see if that helps the breakouts or should I just go ahead and start the Doryx right now? Is Doryx effective is treating mild and possibly hormonal acne? I am kinda afraid the Doryx might interfere with my pap smear results. I also can't afford to have a nauseous stomach. I am trying to keep my weight up, so my period might come back.

I think I am just gonna continue with the Cleocin lotion for now and see if maybe just using that without taking the Doryx helps. Anyone ever had sucess with Cleocin-T?

I am sorry for the novel. I am just at my wits end with my skin sad.gif

-Erin

+Quote Post
bottleblack
post Dec 24 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #47

BUSTie

QUOTE(vixen_within @ Dec 10 2008, 12:30 AM) *
hmm, something else I believe is helping is this stuff Perfect Skin - spendy but it's been very beneficial.

I started using perfectskin vitamins a few weeks ago, and I think it does help. I'm also using Neutrogena Advanced Solutions acne line, it's hardcore! It's hard to find in some stores but the overnight cream is powerful stuff, pretty much stops breakouts. I decided to buy it after reading about it in Allure magazine, they were going over the supposed best products of 2007

+Quote Post
dayglowpink
post Dec 13 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

The only thing that has finally helped with my long term acne (I'm 32, and I've had it since my teens) is oral antibiotics. I was extremely reluctant to take them, but once I finally decided, I'm happy with the results. I'm on doxycycline. I started with taking it twice a day (I think 100 mg.), and after a while I cut back to once a day, and I've been able to maintain on that. If I take it with food, I don't get nauseated. My NP told me that taking oral antibiotics helps more with the inflammation associated with acne than actually killing the bacteria. I also use Duac and Finacea creams and just started using RetinA Micro for some remaining issues.

+Quote Post
neptune
post Dec 11 2008, 05:59 PM
Post #49

BUSTie

QUOTE(olivarria @ Jul 21 2008, 04:10 AM) *
So the new dermatologist I'm seeing is going to put me on spironolactone and birth control, and after reading about it I feel very hopeful. However, I can't start taking it until September because I'm getting tested for poly-cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) then, and I was told these new medications might mess up the test results, so I have to wait. Has anyone ever tried spironolactone and gotten results? Anyone diagnosed with PCOS?

I suppose you've been tested by now and may or may not be on the bcp and spiro?

I've got PCOS. My blood tests came back as "normal" but a scan showed the classic cystic ovaries (actually, only one ovary) and I have had acne and well as other symptoms. They based my diagnosis on the cystic ovary and my symptoms, and said I was mild or borderline. My acne is pretty bad - definitely my worst pcos symptom so far.

I started on Dianette which helped a lot, but didn't work like it worked for me in the past (was on it for 5 years in my teens). I then added spiro about 4 months ago and am thrilled with the results so far. I'm on 75mg a day (usually at least 100mg is prescribed) and while I'm not completely clear yet, and still break out sometimes, I'm hopeful. It can take 6 months to get maximun results apparently. If you have pcos, or even suspect your acne is hormonal, I'd recommend spiro.

I'd be happy to take it for life if it continues to work wink.gif

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Dec 11 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

catwalk, I asked my old dermatologist about Accutane and he was the one who told me that they are absolutely not allowed to prescribe it to people with a history of depression because of the possible side effects. So actually it is true..

vixen, thanks so much for those tips. I think I'll talk to my regular doctor about it first. I also just got back on the birth control pill which might help a bit. The makeup thing is a huge issue too. I want coverage because there is a lot of redness on my face but I can feel that the makeup I use is a bit too thick.

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Dec 9 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #51

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Dec 8 2008, 09:13 PM) *
I am so frustrated with my skin. I'm 24 and I think it's the worst it's been in a few years. I have deep red pimples and more keep on sprouting up. I have no idea what to do about it. I can't go on Accutane because I have a history of depression and it's been known to make people suicidal. I guess I should talk to my doctor about it. I used to be on tetracycline but it didn't do much for me.

Candycane_girl, if you're OHIP qualified you should be able to see the derm for free (just get the reference from your doctor). Might be worth it, even though it can be a frustrating road too while the derm experiments with treatments. There's a place called The Acne Clinic in Toronto and they don't require a doctor's reference, but they charge a small fee above OHIP covereage (I think $25 per visit).

Do you have insurance coverage for prescriptions? That was the other frustration with a derm at the beginning- I just couldn't afford to buy the treatment she wanted me to use, so I have a lot of tips for soothing acne on a budget. Learned to eliminate certain foods (milk, some wheat products that made me flare up with painful subdermal acne).

I did try another at home treatment from a book called The Acne Cure - which did work but was super time consuming and didn't suit my lifestyle.

What partially worked for me when I finally got some coverage was Retin A micro which I only use occasionally now. And on the acne that Retin R didn't work for, I used Tea Tree oil on my skin which has been affordable and VERY effective. It stopped the dirt that was attracted to the oils in my skin from turning into acne infection. I started cleaning my cell phone with it too (and all phones that I hold against my face).

I also recently switched make-up - big help. I was almost in tears at the cosmetics counter a couple months ago (skin frustration, PMS misery, the works). The lady hipped me to talc-free makeup (the talc was apparently a big irritant). I'm using Physician's Formula Talc-free Mineral makeup and I think it's actively *helping* my skin. It has all kinds of goodies in it for sensitive skin (Kaolin and some other stuff). I'm using Oxy Facial Cleanser (the one with 2% salycylic acid) with a wash cloth instead of rough exfoliants (the retin -a is a chemical exfoliant too). It's good.

hmm, something else I believe is helping is this stuff Perfect Skin - spendy but it's been very beneficial. Before this I used to squeeze half a lemon into a mug full of cooled, boiled water, and drink it in the morning as a cleanser. The lemon works, but again I am a woman of little patience and a lazy sleeping-in girl who couldn't do it every morning.

Sorry this post isn't more organized. Hope you get something that works for you out of it. ((CCG))

--------------------
you cannot erase the reality of me

+Quote Post
catwalk
post Dec 9 2008, 10:41 AM
Post #52

BUSTie

QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Dec 8 2008, 09:13 PM) *
I can't go on Accutane because I have a history of depression and it's been known to make people suicidal.

This is TOTALLY and completely and utterly UNTRUE.

I have several people a week for the last two years from all over the world ask me about accutane and I have helped a LOT of people. Everyone has been more than ecstatic with the results.

My story is almost like yours, and accutane was the best thing I've ever done.

--------------------
Thanks everyone on Bust Lounge!!! Fem-D changed my life! BV be gone! Try from Iherb (cheapest) with code LAZ615 & save another $5! :D

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Dec 8 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

I am so frustrated with my skin. I'm 24 and I think it's the worst it's been in a few years. I have deep red pimples and more keep on sprouting up. I have no idea what to do about it. I can't go on Accutane because I have a history of depression and it's been known to make people suicidal. I guess I should talk to my doctor about it. I used to be on tetracycline but it didn't do much for me.

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Jul 20 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #54

Hardcore BUSTie

I have had acne-prone skin (cystic acne) since I was in my early teens. I went on Accutane when I was 20 and it cleared my skin up for like 3 years, and now it's back to the way it was, so I've been seeing a dermatologist, who of course put me on anti-biotics to clear it up. It's doxycycline, it makes me majorly nauseous, and besides that I'm usually dead-set against using anti-biotics unless they are absulutely necessary (ear infections, etc.) but doctors seem to hand them out like candy. And they wonder why there are super-infections! But I am desperate because my skin really bothers me and lowers my self-esteem. But I know the way my body works: I've been on every type of anti-biotic there is, and what happens is: it works for awhile, then stops. Plus yeast infections ahoy! The only thing that's ever really worked for me was Accutane (although I understand why many people decide against it, with the risks and all).

The catch is: I have a family history of mental illness AND cystic acne (lucky me!). I've been diagnosed with severe depression and attempted suicicde twice (it was a few years ago, before I took Accutane). However, while on Accutane I was closely monitored and took my anti-depressant medications, and I was fine. I was happier ever since because I no longer had a mountain range on my face! So the new dermatologist I'm seeing is going to put me on spironolactone and birth control, and after reading about it I feel very hopeful. However, I can't start taking it until September because I'm getting tested for poly-cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) then, and I was told these new medications might mess up the test results, so I have to wait. Has anyone ever tried spironolactone and gotten results? Anyone diagnosed with PCOS?

On a side note, i want to share what I've been using for my acne and scars, because I've found products in the last few months that have really helped:
-I use a product called AMBI from Walgreens. It's actually a skincare line for women of Latin, Asian, and African descent (I am lily-white, haha), but anyone can use it. I use the "Even and Clear" lotion and face wash that help with skin tone and texture, and it's oil free. The lotion has SPF 30, which is great. has Viatamin C & E and soy.

-I use Indian Secret Aztec Healing Clay once a week, although I think many of ladies on this board know about it already. Combined with the price and effectiveness, I will never use another mask! I lurve it.

-At night I use Retin-A Micro, prescribe by dr., and i use Epidermx microdermabrasion with camellia oil for the scars. The most effective things I have found so far for scars, and it helps with acne, blackheads, and skin tone/texture. Highly recommended!

--------------------
"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -Anais Nin

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Jul 14 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #55

So you all know I'm all about Clinique. It's the greatest line for my skin. I was using the Acne Solutions Cleansing Bar for Face. I thought this was working well. For my birthday, my mom bought me the All About Eyes™ Rich which is an eye cream I can't live without. Because she bought me the larger container I got the free beauty kit with it. Well it contained the Mild Liquid Facial Soap which works even better. I've been using it for two weeks and I've already seen a big improvment. My skin is less dry. Maybe I thought I needed the acne soap but all in all it was drying me out too much. The mild is great. When it runs out I might try the Liquid Facial Soap for Oily skin. The lady at the Clinique counter told me that it's less drying then the acne soap and not as moisturizing as the mild liquid facial soap. It might be even more perfect for me. We'll see.

+Quote Post
ellenevenstar
post Jul 1 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #56

Hardcore BUSTie

I had acne on my face for years - from about the age of 16 or 17 until 28. I actually think that going on the pill at 17 made it a lot worse than it would have been otherwise. I tried SO many things to ease it, and then at 28, I just made my GP refer me to a dermatologist. I stopped taking the pill at that time because I wanted my body to find its own equilibrium. I was on a twice daily antibiotic for about 3 months plus a cream each night (it was Differin - same as you candycanegirl!) and used Neostrata cleanser and Neutrogena oil free moisturiser that my derm recommended. I stopped using the cream after about 12 months and now - 2 years after first seeing the dermatologist - I just maintain use of the cleanser and the moisuriser - both inexpensive.

To be honest, around this time I was also exercising really well and my housemate was a dietician so I was more conscious of what I ate than usual. But two years have passed since then, with varying levels of commitment to good food and diet, and my skin has stayed clear.

Now I just get the odd zit - usually just one - when my period is due. It feels indescribably better physically and psychologically to not have painful blocked / infected pores on my cheeks, forehead and jaw and so the poverty I endured in order to pay for the dermatologist has been more than worth it.

So I just recommend to anyone struggling with congested skin to see a dermatologist sooner rather than later if you can afford it.

snarky, candycane et al - I always found tea tree oil to be awesome on particularly nasty pimples - and great for all piercings too! It's a natural disinfectant. My dermatologist was a bit taken aback by this so I didn't use it when on her prescribed treatments but I've found it good otherwise and soothing too.

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Jun 16 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #57

Hardcore BUSTie

hi all - here's another thread where i've lurked awhile but never posted.

i was recently thinking of trying proactive. my acne isn't as bad as the people on the commercials, though, so i was thinking it might be too much. per y'all's comments, i think i'll pass.

i have been using the system from philosophy.com that's specially designed for congested skin. i pair that with their faux microderm abrasion stuff once a week and i can control pretty well. i still have breakouts tho, like the pimple on my inner right nostril right now. ugh! suggestions? off to dig in here some more.

+Quote Post
honeybunch
post Jun 16 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #58

BUSTie

QUOTE(J @ May 31 2007, 10:06 PM) *
My skin isn't terrible, but I have acne lightly allover my back and chest. I wish it was at least just kept off my face. It doesn't help that my peers all have perfect skin. mad.gif

I know what you mean, and people take it for granted as well.
I haven't had clear skin since I was 8 (I'm 21 now), and it makes me feel self conscious. I don't have acne per se on my back, chest, or arms, but I have the hyperpigmentation left. I'm gonna try some dead sea salt, that is supposed to remove toxins and improve skin. Sometimes I don't wear cute tanks b/c I don't want my marks to show.

I was using proactiv for a while with good results. Then my dermatologist switched me to Medicalia.

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Jun 16 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #59

I didn't like proactiv. It really burned my skin. Especially on my cheek bones. I find I spend the same amount of money on Clinique and get better results.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jun 13 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #60

Hardcore BUSTie

That's the thing, I can't say I'm noticing much of a difference. In fact it kind of seems like zits just keep coming back and I've been using it for about a month now. I think that after I finish it I'll just try using coalface from lush.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 20, 2014 - 06:04 PM