Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's In A Name
Arcadia
post Jun 28 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

I stole my "handle" from the main character from one of my favourite books, "The Rules of Engagement" by Catherine Bush.

The main character's name was Arcadia, and I fell in love with her and the book itself. It was such a good read and I would have never known about it if it wasn't for the Intro to English Lit class I took in my second year of uni.

--------------------
"Humans are the only animals that have children on purpose - with the exception of guppies, who like to eat theirs."
- P.J. O'Rourke
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sassafrass
post Jun 26 2007, 02:33 PM
Post #22

BUSTie

My brother's beloved childhood pet was a grumpy tortiseshell cat named Charlie (she was a girl), and one of her nicknames was "sassafrass".

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 19 2007, 03:08 AM
Post #23

new highs in personal lows daily!

bumpty!

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
aviatrix
post Feb 22 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

um, no, it's fucking serious... wink.gif

--------------------
are you kidding? WHAT COULDN'T YOU DO WITH A THINGAMABOBERED KIDNEY?!? a paperweight, a hat. a shoe stretcher, fill it with baking soda and it will freshen your 'fridge. a hamster house, a beer cozy. a teething ring. a keychain charm. a hackysack. a loofa. the mind reels!

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Feb 22 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #25

(o)(o)

Llamas I just finished reading your avatar, and fucking hysterical!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
llamas
post Feb 22 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

I normally leave avatars, pics, etc. turned off on here for work purposes, but I just had to turn them on, and and damn, gt/avi, definitely hot! cool.gif

Oh, and I do use killed by llamas as a handle on a few things where just plain llamas isn't available.

+Quote Post
aviatrix
post Feb 22 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

lol...alright, cut it out....i'll get a big head.

--------------------
are you kidding? WHAT COULDN'T YOU DO WITH A THINGAMABOBERED KIDNEY?!? a paperweight, a hat. a shoe stretcher, fill it with baking soda and it will freshen your 'fridge. a hamster house, a beer cozy. a teething ring. a keychain charm. a hackysack. a loofa. the mind reels!

+Quote Post
Onna-Otaku
post Feb 21 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #28

BUSTie

Aviatrix, I was reading your post and my husband came up behind me and saw your avatar and said HOT!

I Love Killed By Llamas. Thats good enough to be a handle in itself.

--------------------
"Children know perfectly well that unicorns aren't real.
But they also know that books about unicorns, if they are good books,
are true books" -Ursula Le Guin

+Quote Post
kelkello
post Feb 21 2007, 05:54 PM
Post #29

The rest is gravy...

My mama lived a llama farm. No lie. No chance of getting killed by them, but a heck of a lot of spit. Spit upon by llamas just doesn't have the same ring, though.

--------------------
The greatest instance of serendipity since penicillin.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Feb 21 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #30

the moistiest

oh snap, avi/gt! is that you in the avatar?
hottness smile.gif

+Quote Post
mouse
post Feb 21 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #31

Most Likely Procrastinating

girl! you have been confusing the HELL out of me with these two names. MAN. glad to get it all sorted out. don't ever do that again! tongue.gif

"killed by llamas"....this is awesome.

lovemypugs, my friend is currently working on some graphics for the new tori spelling show......apparently she has pugs....so right now he is animating some little flying pugs with golden wings and i thought of you immediately.

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
aviatrix
post Feb 20 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

one of my favorite songs to longboard to is "lady pilot" by neko case, cos carving down long hills feels like you're flying. and being a word nerd i always loved the word aviatrix. plus i wanted something more hopeful than my usual pessimism in gt.

the name girltrouble came when i was looking for some words to go with a tattoo i was working on. i was reading some gender theory and the writer was talking about a "troubling" of gender roles created by transexuals. and there it was: girl. trouble. i thought it was so odd but sounded like it meant so many other things, (my grandma saying my sister was having 'girl trouble') and had a sense of rebelliousness, but most of all it kinda suited me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Feb 20 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

os: the movie is good enough to be shown in school (they got to watch it at the very end) so maybe you can skip the book and just use the cliffnotes version via the film? if you only lived on our coast- how totally cool would it be to have my frecklette taught by a Bustie?!

I love that crazyoldcatlady figurine. ( I liked the librarian figurine too!) if only she had red instead of blond hair though! I can usually be found in men's pajama pants and a mismatchy robe bc my 'stay home' outfits are notoriously unique.
- 1/2 way there already!

blinded by science and then killed by llamas.

I don't know why but those two things seem to go together in my head, but then, I am am sick so that might explain it.

--------------------
I am a *spark* in this world; get lit.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Feb 20 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #34

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

*slaps hand against forehead* thanks lmp! d'oh.

loving the stories and I need to find a way to get killed by llamas into a conversation ... maybe anna nicole smith was killed by llamas?

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Feb 20 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #35

llamas -

I feel like such an idiot. blink.gif I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and I just now go your avatar joke.

Are you fucking serious (black)? LOL! laugh.gif I'm a little slow I know. I apologize. dry.gif

+Quote Post
llamas
post Feb 20 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

*snort*
We really ought to tip off the CSI writers to a potentially fabulous plotline.

And LMP, I have a kitty named Pinky!

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Feb 20 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #37

Big Fat Bitch

Freckleface, I gotta admit, I thought Octobersky was referencing that memoir as well! There's also a film starring a young Jake Gyllenhaal.

Crazyoldcatlady, whenever I see you name, I think of this:

http://www.mcphee.com/items/11377.html

LMP, I always think of this when I see yours:

http://www.noisebot.com/pug_power_t-shirt

Ah, consumerism of useless, but cute products!

I love killed by llamas. I want to hear the guy from CSI Miami say, "She was killed... *dun dun dun* ... by llamas."

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Feb 20 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #38

(o)(o)

October, that totally sounds like a monty python skit! Oh imagine it! It would be great!

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Feb 20 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #39

I saw my first pug when I first met Mr. Pug's family. His aunt's friend had one and I just loved its energy from the start. I wanted one from that second on. I had two dogs (cocker spaniels) growing up and when they died (a week a part from one another) my parents told me that I couldn't get a dog until I moved out on my own. When Mr. Pug and I moved into our first apartment we were nervous about money so Mr. Pug got a second job at night. We never saw one another (which was the reason we moved in together in the first place, to see one another more). One night he came home and asked how my day was. I just started crying and hysterically and yelling that I missed him and was so lonely. Everyone who knew me knew I wanted a pug. The next day after my little melt down I got my tax money. The security guard at work used to check the paper for me everyday to see if any pugs were for sale in the pets section. That day there were four females and two males for sale by a breeder in Maryland (I live in DE). I asked my boss (huge dog lover) if I could leave early to go buy a dog. She said sure. I went to the bank to get the money and then I drove an hour and a half into Maryland, which is not me at all. I only go places that I've already driven to on my own once. However, I was determined. I walked up the house and they were outside running around in a confined area. They were biting, chasing and playing with each other. Only one stopped to come to the gate and say hi to me. I picked her, my Pinky. She was so tiny and pudgy. I had nothing to take her home in. I had a half sheet of newspaper. I put it on the floor of the car and placed my little darling on it. She just sat there staring at me while I drove her to Mr. Pug's shop. I called him while I was in route and told him that I had a surprise to show him. We hung up and when I got to the shop he just smiled and picked her up in one hand, held her in front of his face and looked her straight in the eyes. He said something nonchalant like, "Yeah, she's alright” She licked his nose and waged her curly tail. Let me tell you that I have been in constant competition for his attention ever since I brought my Pinky home. She was so good that first day. I drove her everywhere to show her to everyone. I went to Mr. Pug’s shop, his mom’s, my mom’s and the pet store. She didn’t have an accident once. However, the second I got her into the apartment she peed on the floor. That should have been a sign as to how frustrating her training would be in the next few months. My family adored her. They treated her like their first grandchild. When we moved into our house five years later Pinky was alone a lot so we always talked about getting her a sister. A friend of mine said that she worked with a girl who had a pug and a two year old child and that she just didn’t have time to give the dog attention (and they need a lot of attention). I got in touch with her and 20 minutes after talking to her for the first time I made arrangements to go to her house and meet Shelby. She was so hyper where my Pinky had calmed down over the years. She was so fresh and new. She took to me so fast. She never leaves my side. So my name LoveMyPugs comes from having and loving my two pug baby girls.

P.S. My parents now own two as well. So all together there is Pinky Floyd (Pinky for short), Shelby Girl (Shelby for short), King Louie (Louis for short) and Jealous Nellie (Nellie for short). They are all fantastic. However, when you have all of the together in one room (Christmas morning) it's a little overwhelming. LOL

+Quote Post
mornington
post Feb 20 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #40

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

if i ever get to choose how i get to go, i now want to be killed by llamas. if nothing else for the comedy obituary. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 30, 2014 - 03:48 AM