Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Oct 15 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #2

Big Fat Bitch

*bump*

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
neurotic.nelly
post Apr 15 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(opheliathemuse @ Oct 29 2007, 07:44 PM) *
re models natural size and why it doesn't happen often on the market: runway fashion is controlled by gay men--not to stereotype, but largely it is. commercial fashion is controlled by hetero men--on a business sense. Who is buying all the looks from the runway? Them, and translating it over. Young, virginal women that have appealed to many cultures for thousands of years are lissome with perky breasts.

The last part of this paragraph is confusing to me, especially, the answer to the question, "Them, and translating it over." Do you mean that the young viriginal women are buying the clothes or the gay men that run the fashion industry.

--------------------
Earth: A Satanically ran planet where 98% of it's inhabitants are unquestioning, conformist idiots who are totally controlled and manipulated by the Satanic governments of the world and have been made complacent by said governments, through rigorous brainwashing.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Apr 4 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

"Somehow, even though I didn't truly value appearances, I came to wear the make-up just because society told me I was supposed to want to. That realization was one of the weirdest feelings I've ever had; you think if you have your priorities in order, you're immune to that sort of thing. The best thing I can compare it to is a superstition. I didn't actually care much what I looked like, even knew that I felt better without the make-up, but somewhere in me I had the idea that Something Bad would happen if I stopped wearing it."
from a metafilter thread about 8-year-old girls getting bikini waxes (WTF?)

+Quote Post
opheliathemuse
post Nov 1 2007, 05:20 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

/gigglesnort

--------------------
There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream.
There with fantastic garlands did she come...

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Oct 30 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(opheliathemuse @ Oct 29 2007, 10:44 PM) *
.... No information whatsoever to back me up, but since we in a global sense are becoming an industrial world, wouldn't it make sense to become more and more attracted to something that looks like a robot? At least theoretically.

Which would give apt meaning to the phrase "baby turn me on" tongue.gif

+Quote Post
opheliathemuse
post Oct 29 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

I feel bound to say something since I am enmeshed at this at present. In some measure I feel grateful for retouching, as long as it's not out of control. It makes me feel like the picture captures more of the essence of a moment, and it also makes me feel like I have a little control over life?
I weigh 95lbs and I am 5'2". I wear size 00 or smaller and I can still look heavy on camera if my arms are not placed right. My skin is flawless most of the time, but retouching will make the lighting glow even if they don't really do much. Maybe they're fabrications, but it's about making pictures, not reality. Everyone realizes that: models, makeup artists, and photographers.

re models natural size and why it doesn't happen often on the market: runway fashion is controlled by gay men--not to stereotype, but largely it is. commercial fashion is controlled by hetero men--on a business sense. Who is buying all the looks from the runway? Them, and translating it over. Young, virginal women that have appealed to many cultures for thousands of years are lissome with perky breasts.

Cultures that are traditionally attracted to women who have demonstrated child-bearing ability are generally agrarian such as rural Mexico. No information whatsoever to back me up, but since we in a global sense are becoming an industrial world, wouldn't it make sense to become more and more attracted to something that looks like a robot? At least theoretically.

--------------------
There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream.
There with fantastic garlands did she come...

+Quote Post
dj-bizmonkey
post Oct 5 2007, 09:22 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

your site is waaaaay creepier nickclick. eve longoria looks like a bobble head doll after they slim her down. i though it was interesting how they actually widened cameron diaz out!

--------------------
"To lose everything at the edge of such a glorious eternity is far sweeter than to win by plodding through a cautious, painless, and featureless life."

+Quote Post
dj-bizmonkey
post Oct 5 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

this is similar link about retouching, but it has a fun, interactive way to switch back and forth between the original and the fabrication:
http://demo.fb.se/e/girlpower/retouch/

--------------------
"To lose everything at the edge of such a glorious eternity is far sweeter than to win by plodding through a cautious, painless, and featureless life."

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Oct 2 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #10

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

That was just weird, nickclick. It was like they were making whole new people in some cases.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Oct 2 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

ick. check out the 'portfolio' section of this photo retouching studio's site. click and rollover photos for before and after.

the worst is beyonce (i think). they actually chopped off her jelly rolls. as a photo editor who looks at photos all day and appreciates a good photo, i'm okay with using lighting or photoshop for flattery. but actually altering the shape and pose of a model is ridiculous!

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Aug 30 2007, 09:52 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

celebrity advertising and magazine shoots have that strange dual purpose- the celebrity both advertises a product and is a product, even more so than regular models.

there's a documentary called "A Perfect Fake", by and about men actually, whose thesis is that men respond to symbols more than they do to actual beauty -- and i guess that's what's going on in these images. they've been pared down to the most basic symbols - a smooth skin, thickened hair, and lips, white skin, thin body, large breasts. i can look at those pictures now and recognize when i'm looking at a product rather than an individual. creative fiction is clearly the intent.
no wonder celebrities are irritated by the results.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Aug 23 2007, 06:38 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

pretty interesting conversation about Brittney Spears' airbrushed photo in Allure magazine on the Popular Photo site....

Annals of Airbrushing: How Much is Too Much?

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jul 3 2007, 08:06 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(dolla_loco @ Jul 3 2007, 01:51 AM) *
I will now segue into a personal dilemma i have been having regarding the television show "what not to wear". on the one hand, its perpetuating the idea of female value associated with physical attractiveness and promoting consumerism, but on the other hand, the show is all about accepting your body and your personal beauty and style. i dont know about this one, i might just have to say that as a mainstream television show, you have to take the good with the bad.

i admit i love watching WNTW. maybe because i usually like the clothes they advise they pick, and i dream of having free money to shop for clothes with in NYC. but it certainly promotes (a fairly homogenous) appearance as the epitome of self-esteem, but much less than say, extreme makeover, where they say the only way a woman's gonna feel good about herself is if she chops off her nose.

(in full disclosure, i had breast reduction surgery a few years ago. back pain was a big issue, but being more comfortable and better liking the way i look were certainly pluses.)

+Quote Post
dolla_loco
post Jul 2 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #15

i think while the chicken and egg issue is a vital part of this discussion, there is also the part about cute lingerie for real women. The fact that women of all sizes want to enjoy their bodies and feel sexual, whether its for an appreciative partner or for just themselves, should be an accepted reality and not like a "oh wow" kind of moment. Women shouldnt feel like they have to be a certain size to be sexy and my biggest problem with the media is that theres a message that goes something like - you are either thin and sexy or you are dumpy and unattractive. just because you are wearing lipstick and silk panties, it doesnt mean you are giving into unrealisitc beauty standards, rather that you are rejecting them by saying you can be happy and beautiful no matter who you are.

I will now segue into a personal dilemma i have been having regarding the television show "what not to wear". on the one hand, its perpetuating the idea of female value associated with physical attractiveness and promoting consumerism, but on the other hand, the show is all about accepting your body and your personal beauty and style. i dont know about this one, i might just have to say that as a mainstream television show, you have to take the good with the bad.

+Quote Post
sixelacat
post Jul 2 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #16

Creating demon-radical feminist hybrids since 1974

is the media creating an image, or is it building on what we're already biologically hardwired to see as attractive?

Actually, mornington, that's an interesting point. I mean, wouldn't we biologically find the women with the "child-bearing hips" more attractive than the thin, waifish airbrushed pictures? Would the trend towards airbrushed impossibility be some sort of species reaction to overpopulation? I'm talking about on a very slow, subconscious level, of course....I know nobody's actually thinking "hey, she's hot, and I bet I couldn't breed with her!". But still, it's an interesting thought....

I still think that playing up to the universal fear of "age=dying=scary" is the modus operandi of the current beauty/fashion industry, simply because it's proved to be the most lucrative advertising strategy. And I don't think that will change until fear stops equaling money. Which is where Busties come in!

kittenmiami, I second mornington. I'm more apt to buy something if it looks great on a model that is my body type. Lane Bryant used to have a virtual model thing on their website, where you could put in your own measurements (and details down to your hair and general coloring) and it would create a surprisingly accurate model which you could then dress up in their clothes. I don't think they do it anymore, but it was a great tool, as you could dress it in outfits that you might not bother trying on in the store but sometimes turned out looking great. I wish more shops had it.

--------------------
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jul 2 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #17

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

kittenmiami, i know it's just imnsho, but I think that's a great idea! I mean, people responded really well to the dove "real beauty" ads (boo, unilever, boo hiss i know) but honestly - I'd be encouraged. I much prefer seeing everyday people modeling clothes - if nothing else, it helps me see what the clothes/lingerie would look like on me.

I think it might help if more and more people refused to buy into the media standards - which takes me back to small businesses using ordinary people - but at the same time, I think we've got a chicken and egg situation like sixie said; is the media creating an image, or is it building on what we're already biologically hardwired to see as attractive? A lot of people aren't as stupid as advertising seems to assume - they know that the images are both digitally altered and not representing an average body size/shape. Sometimes, knowing that doesn't seem to help, which is what annoys me.

The f-word did an article on a women's magazine which used size 16 models (the average size in the uk is a 14/16, which is (I think) equivalent to a US size 10-12). The pictures can't be seen online, which is annoying, but I thought they were beautiful - striking because it was so unusual to see actual boobs etc - and actually went back to look at where the clothes came from - which I rarely do, because I know that I either can't afford those clothes, or won't suit them when I squeeze my size 14 backside into them.

+Quote Post
kittenmiami
post Jul 2 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(nickclick @ Jul 2 2007, 09:58 AM) *
so i guess the challenge is: could the few of us who live in reality, who are buying into a more realistic beauty standard, break the majority that wants to live the fantasy?

Now that is a challenge. This issue is one that I'm actually having to face with my own business. I design lingerie with this idea that there are women out there who buy based on wanting something to make themselves feel and look nice, not to look like the supermodel in the undies. It is difficult now that I do not have any mannequins, so I have to use plain, clear shots of just the undies. Business is still on the slow side. I'm wondering if with lingerie, women actually prefer to buy based on how it looks on the model. What if real girls were used? a little booty, some hips, a tummy, boobs that aren't a plastic D cup.

--------------------
Bianca. kittenmiami.etsy.com

'WOman's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.' -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jul 2 2007, 07:41 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

so i guess the challenge is: could the few of us who live in reality, who are buying into a more realistic beauty standard, break the majority that wants to live the fantasy?

+Quote Post
dolla_loco
post Jun 30 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #20

i think the fact that women are so intrigued by pictures of unmasked celebrities reflects the tension women feel about their relationship to their bodies. The problem is not just that women are targets of the beauty industry, its that the beauty industry exists because women have a "responsibility" to look a certain way. Isnt it funny how when women are too busy or frazzled to do their hair or put on makeup, its a sign of a personal failure on their part? The reality of it is that if they dont have time for themselves, its part of the unrealistic standards society sets out for women. But i am sure this is all well tread territory. The point is, if there was more acceptance of different types of women as beautiful, it would go a long way towards bridging some gaps and relieving some of the tensions that might exist among women.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 23, 2014 - 03:17 AM