Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Writer's Block
Gypsymoth
post Aug 11 2008, 06:52 AM
Post #81

BUSTie

olivarria- I just read Reading Like a Writer. I got it from the library and devoured it in about a day. It's really great.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Aug 11 2008, 01:04 AM
Post #82

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm feeling a little shy about posting the summary of my book.....when I look over the summary it just seems silly, although I really like where it's going and plan to keep working on it. I was supposed to post a summary a while back, but got kind of sidetracked. I don't think that i can realistically expect to finish this book in one year: I am about to start 5 classes, I start studying for the GRE in January, want to join the campus ACLU in fall, and need to start some kind of volunteer work because i want to apply for masters programs in social work. So writing a book should really not be a priority right now! But I will continue writing when I can, because it's my way of coping. I just have to do it in my spare time (if i have any left!). If anyone would like to know what I'm writing, I can send a summary or excerpt via PM, that would be less scary for me! Then you can critique it or ask questions, give suggestions, or whatever. And if somebody would like to share what they're writing, I would love to read it. We could be critique-buddies! That would be fun.

I bought a really beautiful journal and I've been decorating it with pictures: Charles Bukowski and Paul Bowles, Fellini's 8 1/2, Doeothy Parker, Desperately Seeking Susan, anything that inspires me to write. And I'm pasting quotes by great writers on the pages so hopefully they will rub off on me!

Right now I am reading Francine Prose's book "Reading like a Writer," and it's amazing. I love her books - she wrote the film Household Saints and also "The lives of the muses - nine artists and the women who inspire them." I'm also reading the screenplay, Synadoche, New York by Charlie Kaufman, another one of my favorite writers: i love the surrealistic nature of his scripts.

--------------------
"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -Anais Nin

+Quote Post
kissmeducky
post Jul 28 2008, 02:32 AM
Post #83

BUSTie

One of my guilty self-indulgences is to flip through my writer's/inspiration notebook and think about how cool it is/I am. It's an unlined black Moleskin, classic. There's just something about flipping those pages...

Now if only I could use all of that inspiration to write something! I came up with a vague idea for a longer short story or perhaps even a novel and wrote a page and a half of it. I have a whole bunch more to write stocked in my head but for whatever reason I've just stopped. usually my motivation is lost because I don't know where the story is going but that isn't really the case here, so I don't know what's up! It's so frustrating!

I think part of it is that I sent what I had written already to my editing board (aka boyfriend) and he hasn't gotten back to me. I had some focus questions for him to discuss with me and I'm afraid to write a whole bunch more that's just following the same mistakes as I had with the first bit. (There's also the confidence part: aw man I can't even get people I know to read my writing so what's the point?!)

--------------------
www.audreymonroe.blogspot.com

www.kissmeducky.etsy.com

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Jul 23 2008, 02:06 AM
Post #84

Hardcore BUSTie

I want to read What It Is, too! Unfortunately I don't have the money right now, and it's not at the library, so I'll have to wait. I will be getting more creative writing books tomorrow, and I'm finishing up Virginia Woolf Writing Workshop right now.

Anna K, your writing on Asperger's Syndrome sounds really interesting. I'm taking a Theories of Learning class right now, and was thinking of writing my paper on something in that realm.

Crazyoldcatlady, I have to admit I am very shy about my writing. Not only that, but what I'm working on now seems hard to summarize with just a few cohesive statements, because I think the writing is well....abstract and weird. Like, I tell my mom everything because we're very close, but I never even tell her what my stories are about, because so much of my writing is extracted from real-life situations, especially family, and I don't want her to recognize that! There are no thinly veiled people (except myself, maybe! is that narcissistic?), just situations. Also I'm afraid I will tell people what's it's about, and people will be like, oh my god what a steaming pile of shit. I am going to try and write a short summary of it, and make it sound really good and not like dogshit, but I will have to do post it later because I just got my August BUST issue, so....I gotta go read! But will post it later this week.

--------------------
"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." -Anais Nin

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jul 21 2008, 08:20 PM
Post #85

the moistiest

r_c, what is lynda barry's book about? (i suppose i could check out amazon, but link is so... far.. away... catlady... lazy... and drunk...)

i agree on the 100words, it helps you stay consistent. however, it has succeeded in stunting me so that i am only able to produce 100 word-vignettes, and nothing of length, which is what i really need to work on. and the glitches on that site are getting more frequent and annoying.

oliv- what's your book peripherally about? you don't have to spill if you don't want to.

+Quote Post
anna k
post Jul 21 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #86

Hardcore BUSTie

Most of my writing is blog posts, but I'm trying to write more about growing up being thought of as learning disabled, and how it affected me. Today it would be called Asperger's Syndrome, but it was called "high-functioning mild autism," so I had to see an OT, be in resource rooms, and treated like I was slow or mentally retarded. I was a shy and introverted kid, and went through years of being teased by my peers and patronized by school officials, which led me to being on medication and in therapy in my teens. I enjoy writing about it, but it can feel boring of writing things that I already know so much about.

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Jul 20 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #87

Hardcore BUSTie

I know what you mean - it's difficult to make myself write everyday. Sometimes if I'm stuck I do writing exercises, or just stream-of-consciousness writing, which believe it or not, sometimes gives me something I can use. Last night I made a character chart, even though I felt totally uninspired. Another great motivation is I just bought myself a really beautiful journal that is only for my story-writing, as opposed to my old spiral which is full of school assignments, etc. I am reading Mrs. Dalloway right now and finding it inspirational, but it's taking me a longer time to get through it. Every sentence is so loaded to me that I have to ponder it for a moment before moving on. Beautiful prose!

I'm trying not to read any advice on how to get published, etc., because I wouldn't want that to change the vision in my mind of what I want my work to be. Besides this is just for fun - I don't worry about that (yet?).

--------------------

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jul 20 2008, 07:47 AM
Post #88

the moistiest

yeah, we closted writers (nice term, btw) are like farts in a windstorm. writing is such a solitary activity but it never hurts to step outside your own head and get other writer interaction.

how productive of you to have a timeline! any time my keyboard spends more time with my fingers than my forehead is a good writing day...

+Quote Post
olivarria
post Jul 19 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #89

Hardcore BUSTie

When did the writer's block thread die? I've never posted in here, but I've always been a lurker and a closet writer. The last couple years I've been writing short stories, but one has been kind of growing organically into a novel, which I'm really proud of. I've laid out a plan to finish it in one year, but I don't know what I'll do with it. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about creative and experimental writing, and I'm currently reading the Virginia Woolf Writing Workshop (it's just ok). Anyway I was hoping I could find some other writing junkies so we discuss our methods and influences together. Hopefully we can motivate eachother in our endeavors! Anyone working on anything?

--------------------

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Mar 3 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #90

the moistiest

also, is that you on the mainpage???? smile.gif

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Mar 3 2008, 05:48 AM
Post #91

the moistiest

r_c; i haven't had the problem, altho on march 1 there wasn't an option to start the new month, whatever that was about.

+Quote Post
sexysandee
post Feb 8 2008, 07:57 AM
Post #92

Hardcore BUSTie

For the past few years I have been posting my writing on Writers Cafe and I just got an E-mail saying that all of our writing has been lost.... I don't know if that makes me happy or sad.... It's a very odd feeling

--------------------

"This could be the very minute
I'm aware I'm alive
All these places feel like home"

+Quote Post
yess
post Jan 28 2008, 05:56 PM
Post #93

I am planning on writting a short story about a woman, probably in her 20's, who gets an abortion. I have chosen this idea because the lack of pro-choice stories out there. It seems the only way to make a heart-warming story is using that same formula: girl gets pregnant-girl thinks about abortion but can't do it-girl goes thru pregnancy and lalalala-we all know the story(e.g. Juno). Anyway, I want to write a postive-abortion story but I am having some trouble with how to go about it since once you have an abortion it's done and I need a whole lotta middle action. Any suggestions on how I can make this into a truly postive story would be greatly appreciated!!! Actually, any ideas/thoughts period would be great!!

+Quote Post
datagirl
post Jan 4 2008, 04:53 PM
Post #94

Hardcore BUSTie

I haven't been on here in ages and I'd usually call myself a musician as that's what I get paid for.But recently I've been blogging alot on my
myspace page.Just about my life,alcohol,mental hopsitals,dating,relationships.I've gotten some pretty good responses from 'friends'on there ie wanting to
know the next installment ect.I guess I just wanted to share and say yeah I've discovered what is to me a whole new way of expressing myself.
I'm going through alot of family (abuse) stuff and Augusten Burroughs (the author of Running with Scissors) has been a huge comfort for me.I'd love to write a book in that sort of vein.

Just bumping.

Oh dcg123? For the getting great ideas ect in your sleep?I'd keep a portable dictophone by my bed for such occasions. smile.gif

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Dec 7 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #95

PANTIES! ew.

I didn't end up doing the NaNoWriMo after all, and I don't have regrets about not doing it. It felt too much like I was going to be adhering to someone else's timetable.

COCL, I do the notebook thing, too. Every purse, every jacket, I've got to have a notebook in it, or at least an index card so I can jot stuff down -- impressions, snippets of overheard conversations, signs on the side of the road... just to have some record of things that I notice.

The hardest thing of all for me has been trying to turn down the noise in my life and training myself to just show up day after day and make a firm commitment to write. Turning down the noise includes Busting, too, for better or for worse.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Nov 3 2007, 06:03 PM
Post #96

the moistiest

i've been through so many muses over the years that i'm suprised they come sniffin' around anymore. i'm an abusive, neglecting writer. do muses have labor unions?

but they/he/she/it has been finding me in my car lately. i got me a note pad to write down the bait so that i have something to come back to when i'm staring at that blank page.

NaNoWriMo might be a NoGo. it's already the 3rd, and i'm more enticed by 100words. AND... that damn test that's coming up. (these sound like excuses!)

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Oct 30 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #97

PANTIES! ew.

Nice job, COCL!

Yeah, I think I'm gonna do it. Don't know what to do to prepare for it, other than sharpen my pencils like Papa Hemingway (that woman-hating bastid). I have no premeditated characters, no dialogue, no nothin' going through my head. Blank slate.

I just really want to make the time for this, carve out a spot in my day and commit to it so it becomes habit by the end of the month.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Oct 30 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #98

the moistiest

i totally want to raisin, but i've got a large test coming up, and Nov was sort of dedicated to studying... i mean, i can, technically, but it's going to require a continuous IV caffeine drip.

in other news, i have to catch up on like 18 entries for my Oct batch of 100words.com. i did a whole lot last night, and couldn't sleep because all these fun ideas were running through my head. an entry totally got featured not too long ago, so that made me sorta happy ::blushes and digs toe into ground:::

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Oct 30 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #99

Hardcore BUSTie

I still don't have the time or da' noive. Maybe next year for me.
Are you doing it Raisin? How much time do you generally spend preparing to start before November?

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Oct 29 2007, 08:11 PM
Post #100

PANTIES! ew.

Are any of you going to do nanowrimo this year?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 23, 2014 - 11:59 AM