The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

32 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What bands are you currently listening to? What excites you?
auralpoison
post Sep 26 2008, 02:30 AM
Post #221

Big Fat Bitch

I've been a DIE HARD fangirl since the first ep. Let me put it this way: I've never thought to myself, "Hey, I'd like to get gangbanged!" This TVotR album is so GOOD it has me convinced that they should absolutely pull a train on me. GENIUS! But I expected that.

Tunde is in the new Jonathan Demme movie. He's sooooo talented & sooooo HOT!

The video for the first single, "Golden Age". This shit is so tight it squeaks.

Weirdly, "Shout Me Out" is reminiscent of Tom Petty's "Running Down a Dream" before it veers off into total fucking awesomeness.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Sep 25 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #222

brown delicious

dood, everyone and their mother is raving about the new Tv on the Radio. i guess i need to get on it and check it out.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 25 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #223

Big Fat Bitch

Karen Dalton (folk/bluegrass/country) & the new Tv on the Radio.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
lestercrawley
post Sep 19 2008, 03:37 AM
Post #224

BUSTie

Agent Ribbons do get down there once in a while, mouse, so I'm sure you'll get to see 'em eventually. And what's really cool is that not only do they sell their own records, some of the CDs you can get at their shows come with handmade sleeves. Mine's got some fabric glued to paper they stitched together and a cute illustration of a monkey they colored and a button sticking out on one side. Their craftmanship ain't all that great, but it's cool they took the time to offer their fans these one-of-a-kind souvenirs.

Well, this isn't a new band by any stretch of the imagination, but I just saw X tonight and was thrilled to see they hadn't lost their mojo after all these years. I saw 'em in Davis, CA back in '85, literally half my lifetime ago. Only a handful of people showed up at that show and stood perfectly still while I was dancing all by my lonesome. Oh, and I remember one brave soul taking a chance on diving into the lackluster crowd from the stage. This time the club was jam-packed and literally hoppin' (and conveniently located just two blocks from where I live). I was lucky I didn't get thrown off my feet by the big-drunk-and-scary boys who were moshing in the middle of the floor. What a difference 23 years make! And to top it off, I got Billy Zoom to sign my CD when he walked out to kiss the girls after the show. I met John Doe some years ago at a Borders in-store (a story for another time), so I just need Exene and D.J. to make their mark and I'll be all set! Needless to say, I'm excited about X all over again!!

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 18 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #225

Big Fat Bitch

Besides the music, I like that I can buy Agent Ribbons directly from Agent Ribbons.

FUCK THE RIAA! THEY'RE A BUNCH OF GREEDY DINOSAURS THAT ARE CAUSING THEIR OWN DEMISE BY NOT CREATING A NEW BUSINESS PLAN THAT WORKS WITH NEW TECHNOLOGY!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mouse
post Sep 18 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #226

Most Likely Procrastinating

seconded the agent ribbons rec! they sound great. i'll definitely keep an eye out to see if they come to LA soon....looks like they're just doing a radio show thing. boo.

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
lestercrawley
post Sep 17 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #227

BUSTie

Glad you like Agent Ribbons, anna k. They recently flew to the U.K. to do a tour there but were refused entry into the country and ended up being banned by immigration officers for the next ten years! I don't know the whole story, but I felt so bad for them knowing how much they were looking forward to it. They certainly deserve to be better known outside of Sacramento.

BTW, I looked up Rachael Sage on Allmusic.com and thought she was quite promising, so I'll keep an eye open the next time I drop into one of our local independent record stores. Any particular CD that you'd like to recommend?

+Quote Post
anna k
post Sep 16 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #228

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for that Agent Ribbons, lestercrawley. They're really great.

I like Rachel Sage. She seems influenced by Fiona Apple and Ani DiFranco, and has an interesting voice and style.

This thread is great, I'm looking for new things to hear.

+Quote Post
lestercrawley
post Sep 16 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #229

BUSTie

My favorite band-of-the-moment during the past year or so is Agent Ribbons, a pair of happenin' gals who hail from my hometown of Sacramento, CA. I've got a fairly sizeable crush on singer Natalie Gordon, and I've always thought of them as BUST-friendly, if there is such a thing. (I know they're not famous, but I'd love to see them on the cover of a future issue someday!) Drummer Lauren Hess tends to vanish onstage cause she's shy and all, but she's pretty darn cute too. Check 'em out here!

+Quote Post
Jezebel
post Sep 13 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #230

BUSTie

Still on my Jack's Mannequin kick. Also really liking Kerli right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjXnwas8ytU

http://www.myspace.com/kerlimusic

--------------------

+Quote Post
knorl05
post Sep 11 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #231

Hardcore BUSTie

nice! ty je.ne.sais.pas wink.gif

--------------------
We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
je.ne.sais.pas
post Sep 11 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #232

BUSTie

QUOTE(knorl05 @ Sep 11 2008, 06:18 AM) *
electrocute

and getting into death metal lately..
any busties know of any good metal bands?

ooooh, if you like electrocute you should try ultraviolet sounds or gravy train laugh.gif

+Quote Post
knorl05
post Sep 11 2008, 06:18 AM
Post #233

Hardcore BUSTie

electrocute

and getting into death metal lately..
any busties know of any good metal bands?

--------------------
We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
mouse
post Sep 10 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #234

OMG ANNA YOU MET DAVID BYRNE IN CIVILIAN LOCALE?????? *jealous*

--------------------

+Quote Post
thepointybird
post Sep 10 2008, 08:11 AM
Post #235

Hardcore BUSTie

Y'all should check out Ponytail, this band from Baltimore - find them on Myspace. Fab!

+Quote Post
anna k
post Sep 9 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #236

Hardcore BUSTie

So cool! This may sound like a brag, but he came into the museum where I work a couple of weeks ago. I recognized him immediately, then when he talked to his friend his voice boomed out, sounding much like his singing voice. I didn't talk to him much, just took admission, but it was a cool surprise.

I heard Sax and Violins on the soundtrack to Until the End of the World, and really dug it. I also like the version of Burning Down the House in Stop Making Sense, it's more funkier and wilder than the album version.

In my dance class, the instructor picked Busta Rhymes' Don't Touch Me Now, and it is such a fantastic, funky, percussion-driven song. The routine we did was hard and rough and made me feel so strong and badass and cool.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Sep 9 2008, 01:24 AM
Post #237

anna, sax & violins is my absolute favorite talking heads song of all time! definitely an earworm.

speaking of, i'm going to brag again about how i am going to go see david byrne next month wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Sep 8 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #238

Hardcore BUSTie

I posted this a few days back in the 'what song is in your head' thread, but I thought I'd add it here...

I'm in a dreamy mood and currently grooving out to ethereal folkie Marissa Nadler... Mexican Summer (love love LOVE this video; absolutely gorgeous. I don't think it's an official video, as Marissa's a very independent artist and doesn't have a video director on her payroll, but it should be.) Here's another gorgeous song...Fifty Five Falls, which I usually tend to listen to when the weather starts to change. It hasn't started yet, but I think I'm ready for it to get a little colder.

I'm also grooving out to the new Stereolab album and can't wait to see them live in another few weeks. Yippee!

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
anna k
post Sep 8 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #239

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been into Kid Sister, and have downloaded various songs that have been earworms for me:

Keith Whitley - When You Say Nothing At All
Father MC - I'll Do 4 U
Sonny J - (Handsfree) If You Hold My Hand
The Waterboys - Sweet Thing
Talking Heads - Sax and Violins
The O'Jays - Cry Together
Mint Condition - Breaking My Heart
Connie Francis - Siboney

This may sound nerdy, but Bruce Springsteen's Human Touch is one of the sexiest songs I've ever heard. It's the drive and the passion, the guitar solos, Bruce's wailing, and the desperate tenderness of it all.

+Quote Post
gluelita
post Sep 8 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #240

BUSTie

Beach House truly is yay. thanks!

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 20, 2014 - 10:53 PM