Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chracka-thoom-the Comic Books Thread
missladyj
post Oct 9 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

I am totally with you on the serious love for Sandman!!!!

I am rereading the Sandman which I haven't looked at for about 10yrs. It is so fantastic. I have to say I think it is the best comic book evah. the library at the school where I work has started having graphic novel collection so they have four volumes of collections of the Sandman. I told the librarian that he has the best comic book evah! I think they will order the rest of the series.

I brought it home to show my husband who has never read the Sandman and is more of a Silver Surfer , Spidey kinda guy and I keep asking him" Isn't this the best comic book ever?" he says he can't answer until he reads all of them

I also just finished Aline Kominsky Crumbs MOre Love. which is awesome too. She rules!

I am totally going through a graphic novel phase. huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VanillaXtraDry
post Oct 8 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #2

BUSTie

i'm not too into comics but i LOOOOOVVEEEDDDD Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series years ago...

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Oct 8 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi, wow, I've never even seen this thread before.

So, my baby brother is really into Manga (as are all of my brothers), and I'm looking for some recommendations.

His 16th Bday is coming up (this month!!) and I have nothing. I know he has read and enjoyed:Death Note, Pet Shop of Horrors, Confidential Confessions, Kodocha, Wallflower, Fruits Basket, and many others I don't remember.
He really enjoys romantic comedy with some sort of violence thrown in. School drama should be okay, nothing thats 18+ or explicitly violent/sexual please. Ummm, he likes animals, especially cats.
Anime recs are welcome too, I'm just at a loss for what to get him.

I guess I'll do some more research and come back if I find anything

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
NocturnalCatie
post Jul 15 2007, 07:25 AM
Post #4

BUSTie

Yeah, it was definately more on the "horror" end of the spectrum. I did not see the movie, but I've seen several stills from it. From what i can tell it stayed very true to the art work. The infamous "spiral man" picture has to be my favorite scene in that book! I think I read it because I've always been obsessed with spirals. I've filled whole pages with them, and to find a comic ABOUT spirals, and a horror one at that, made me excited. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jul 11 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #5

new highs in personal lows daily!

oh, uzumaki was hardly fantasy. i've never seen the manga, but the movie was j-horror. uzumaki, or spiral is about a town that is cursed by a spiral, and is about the horrible, literally twisted deaths of the people in the town.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
.em.
post Jul 11 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #6

BUSTie

QUOTE(missjoy @ Jul 11 2007, 07:32 AM) *
I thought I would pop in here for a look. When I was in school I had a good friend who loved comics and gave me a bunch to read to show me how good they could be.

The one I remember the most is the Sandman series - those were great. I also read some others including Rorshack (am I even spelling that right, it's the same as the name of the inkblot tests psychiatrists use). I'm trying to think of more because I know that I read a bunch of great ones... it'll come to me.

Funny story, and I have no reason to doubt the guy who told me this. I had a friend who went by the nickname Duma. He was getting something signed by Neil Gaiman who was in the middle of writing the Sandman series at the time. My friend asked to have the signing made out to Duma and Neil Gaiman asked him about the name.

Well in one of the next books that came out a minor charactor went by the name Duma... coincidence? Who knows!

ah, I love the Sandman! that story is pretty neat too~

QUOTE(girltrouble @ Jul 11 2007, 11:06 AM) *
catie have you seen the movie they made from uzumaki? very creepy...
and suko--- i love your avi-- so cute!

i don't know if i've heard of that or not.
personally, i'm more into the 'realistic' type mangas. i don't really care much for the magical/fantasy/action type stuff.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jul 11 2007, 09:49 AM
Post #7

catie have you seen the movie they made from uzumaki? very creepy...

and suko--- i love your avi-- so cute!

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
missjoy
post Jul 11 2007, 06:15 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

I thought I would pop in here for a look. When I was in school I had a good friend who loved comics and gave me a bunch to read to show me how good they could be.

The one I remember the most is the Sandman series - those were great. I also read some others including Rorshack (am I even spelling that right, it's the same as the name of the inkblot tests psychiatrists use). I'm trying to think of more because I know that I read a bunch of great ones... it'll come to me.

Funny story, and I have no reason to doubt the guy who told me this. I had a friend who went by the nickname Duma. He was getting something signed by Neil Gaiman who was in the middle of writing the Sandman series at the time. My friend asked to have the signing made out to Duma and Neil Gaiman asked him about the name.

Well in one of the next books that came out a minor charactor went by the name Duma... coincidence? Who knows!

+Quote Post
NocturnalCatie
post Jul 11 2007, 03:54 AM
Post #9

BUSTie

There are a few manga or manga-esque things I liked. My favorite was Uzumaki. Weird, creepy, and sooo well drawn!

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Jul 7 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

ha, thanks, i didn't know any of this stuff.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jul 5 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #11

the subject matter is also wider. you can find anime on almost any subject matter, from sports, basket ball etc, to romance, to fantasy, to historical drama, or social commentary, sex or action.

--------------------

+Quote Post
.em.
post Jul 5 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #12

BUSTie

QUOTE(Lesbajew @ Jul 4 2007, 08:30 PM) *
Manga is comics in Japanese. However, here stateside we use it to refer to Japanese comics. Think anime, but on paper.

right! ^^
It's also backwards...you read from right to left. (and what we would call the back cover is the front in most manga.) And yes, the art is like anime on paper. It's usually all in black and white. I really enjoy it, and recommend them! As I said before, NANA and Paradise Kiss are really great. Fruits Basket, Chobits, and CLAMP manga (an all-female manga team) are usually pretty good too.

Manga @ Wikipedia

+Quote Post
Lesbajew
post Jul 4 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #13

BUSTie

QUOTE(sukouyant @ Jul 4 2007, 05:53 PM) *
I'm woefully ignorant about the different categories of comics. What's the difference between Manga and American comics?

Manga is comics in Japanese. However, here stateside we use it to refer to Japanese comics. Think anime, but on paper.

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Jul 4 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm woefully ignorant about the different categories of comics. What's the difference between Manga and American comics?

+Quote Post
.em.
post Jul 3 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #15

BUSTie

oh! comics!

My favorite comic book/graphic novel series is the Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Awesome story.
Ultimate Spiderman is pretty good too.

as for manga....Nana and Paradise Kiss (or anything else by Ai Yawaza) are absolutely the best. I almost think I shouldn't have read them first because it sets the bar so high for other mangas!

+Quote Post
Lesbajew
post Jun 30 2007, 06:12 PM
Post #16

BUSTie

The_geiger- The comic was sexist, but pretty run of the mill in that sense. Okay, the more I think about it, the more I disagree with that statement, but back to that later. What was horrible was the popularity of the thing, and the letters to the writers... I don't know how to describe it. Many wished painful death on all the female characters, often saying that the men should ditch there "whiny" wives, girlfriends, and children and live in a "paradise" with the silent and nude girls who never said no. The character Nancy received so much hate mail I wanted to cry. Nancy was crazy, but never was there never was a single letter complaining about her equally if not more crazed husband, and he was sometimes looked on a figure to be pitied! Much of the hate was directed at her age and looks.

As for the series itself, it was pretty bad too. After going over the letters, I've had my daily dose of blatant sexism. I'll post a list of the offenses of the series itself later.

Heroes for Hire's issue #13 cover made LJ very mad. Really disgusting. Marvel's standards seem to falling as of late.

+Quote Post
the_geiger
post Jun 30 2007, 11:00 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

LJ: The "Girls" you mentioned apparently wasn't what I was thinking of! I think I would remember reading that atrocity.

What I was thinking of was "Girl," which is this three-issue series put out by Vertigo in the mid-90s which is actually kinda cool. It's about this girl who develops a split personality/alter-ego and thinks that she killed her father and a stranger in a junkyard. The whole crazy-girl trope is a bit problematic, but I like it.

+Quote Post
NocturnalCatie
post Jun 29 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #18

BUSTie

Ha! I read the first few Books of Magic in order, and later I just got so lost with all the different sections of it, i just said screw it, and read them as i found them. tongue.gif I was going back through my comic collection and found a Too Much Coffee Man book. I'd forgotten all about that!
I'm not sure if anyone remembers or even heard of it, but my brother and I used to read a comic called Lethargic Lad. My brother was so into it, he ordered the doll. When he got it, he was thrilled to see the doll had been handmade by the artist.
My point is, I love the fact that I've found a group of comic geeks,( like myself!), who love to read some fairly big comics, but are equally excited digging through the back to find those few golden comics that most people never give a chance.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 27 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #19

man... what have they done to misty?grr. the thing i always liked about the heroes for hire was that it was zero to no cheesecake, it was more gritty, not bulshitty. booooo!

that offically gets my big stinky dooley award, right on it's head!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Jun 27 2007, 08:17 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

So I think I posted a few lines figuring that Marvel stopped the Alias series because of 'adult content besmearing other stock Marvel characters" or some such. Obviously I'm seriously mistaken rolleyes.gif and I just came across the cover for Heroes for Hire #13

The cover is here

ASIDE from Misty Knight's improbable hairstyle; Typical-over-the-top-comic-art? Attention-grabbing-commercial-misogyny? Marvel-editor's-wet-dream?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 1, 2014 - 05:32 PM