The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

97 Pages V  « < 95 96 97  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
_octinoxate
post Apr 27 2006, 02:11 PM
Post #1921

Hardcore BUSTie

Risala, if I had to make a bet, I'd say that taking Yasmin continuously *won't* help the pimples. At least not at first. I have a very similar history to you: took ortho tri, helped with the acne, went off the pill then later switched to Yasmin, which cleared up the zits too, but I still get the occasional pimples nowadays even though I'm still on Yasmin. BUT- the last big breakout I had was when I decided to take Yasmin continuously (to avoid getting my period at an inconvenient time). For me, every time I fuck with my body's hormonal rountine (whether that means getting on the pill, getting off it, skipping the period, whatever), I tend to break out. Maybe that would normalize after several months of skipping the period, I don't know.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kbot79
post Apr 27 2006, 01:32 PM
Post #1922

BUSTie

2 of those 3 pounds are gone again, and when I've felt like raiding the fridge at night, I've done yoga. Still not as fit as I'd like, but I've averaged 4X a week at the gym plus occasional yoga and pilates for the past 4 months, so I'm giving myself props for consistency (in exercise if not in diet).

cclady, I am broke and so usually do yoga at home. My friend in boston is an instructor, so once in awhile I'll do it for her and have her adjust me...that seems to work for now. if only the $5 yoga co-op in park slope had become a reality!

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Apr 27 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #1923

the moistiest

syb- that's a tough call. i've been to class tae bo, but have mostly done it at home. i was a lot more sore after the class, i feel like having others around pushes you more, but i also know i'm more likely to stick to something that doesn't require getting into a car, driving down the road, paying money... then again, i like the variety of the live work outs, videos do get old after a while. ANYHOO, it doesn't matter now, b/c the closest tae bo center to me shut down :-(

BUT this also brings up a point i wanted to ask all of you: I love doing yoga in my own home, but I wonder, how much does a class help in positioning? Each time i do it @ home, there's always some element of "i hope i've got this position right". I'm assuming I am, basically b/c my ass is tighter now ;)

+Quote Post
ris
post Apr 27 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #1924

Hardcore BUSTie

Ha! RisaLa, I just fired off an email to you and then came into this thread, and here you are! (And all after doing my saline-Nasonex routine and eating one of those delish muffins. Coinkindinkies.) To answer your question, I'm on Yasmin too. I love it. I'll be on it til menopause. Sounds like allergy-induced asthma. Not fun. I hope the shots help. I'm sure they've come a long way since I was a kid. Good luck with tennis and your race! Be careful with that shoulder!

Syb, that sucks. Are they at least replacing that class with something else that appeals to you? If not, you may as well try a DVD.

Yummy, I'm so glad that you had a positive running experience and that you want to get out there again! Fabulous!

Raisin, I store my flax meal in the fridge. It takes me about 2 months to go through a bag, so it's not like it's hanging around for ages. Should I be putting it in the freezer?

Octinoxate, I don't know about baking with soy. Artemis would, if she were around. (I'm hoping the bold lettering is like a Beetlejuice call.) You could probably try it with apple sauce though.

Kbot, I know. That recipe was kind of heavy. The second recipe, in which I used mostly baking powder instead of all baking soda, came out lighter. Next I'm going to try it with apples and dried cranberries.

Quietmadness, I agree with RisaLa. If you don't walk much normally, and all of a sudden you start, it makes a huge difference. I remember years ago, when most of my friends went off to college and were gaining "the freshman fifteen", my other friends who were at NYU and walking everywhere practically LOST the fifteen. If you're not used to walking so much, you may get sore. Stretching afterwards helps. A little stretching before bed will help you to not feel stiff and creaky in the morning. Good luck!

+Quote Post
risala
post Apr 27 2006, 07:07 AM
Post #1925

Hmm. I usually get a few pimples the week before my period (when I'm still taking the active pills). It's better now (on yasmin) than it used to be (on ortho tri) but still annoying. I wonder if taking the pills all the time would work for me... HMMM. What pill do you take Ris? I should ask my doc when I go back in July. Last year she prescribed Retin-A for this problem but I have been afraid to start it because my skin is SO DRY anyway, and it's not like a month-long thing. Blah.

Well let's see about my allergy drugs. I take Zyrtec, Nasonex and now Singulair. And eye drops. Probably I should do saline spray but it makes me feel like I'm going to vomit. And now I started the stupid allergy shots so maybe next year I'll only need the Singulair. We'll see. It was so stupid when I went to the allergist, it went something like this:
Me: "Ahh sometimes when I run or walk or ride my bike outside (obviously), my chest gets tight and I start wheezing and coughing and my hands get really swollen and itchy and my sinuses close up. And the only thing to make it go away is copious amounts of benadryl."
Doc: "uh huh uh huh yup"
Me: "WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME? Why does that HAPPEN?"
Doc: "ummm, you're having an asthma attack?"
Who knew.

Those muffins sound delish.

QuietMadness - eating healthy and starting walking a lot more is a great place to start. Once you get moving on that you can pick up other activities! Good luck. One easy thing to do is: when you're looking for a sweet, eat fruit instead of candy. Satisfies the sweet craving but is MUCH better for you. My personal weakness is cookies, but I find that if I have strawberries or pears or grapes around, I eat those instead of the cookies.

CONGRATULATIONS PixieDust and YummyMum. It is awesome to approach (and ultimately reach) your goals. Makes you really want to stick to it, eh?

I personally just bought a new tennis racquet now that I'm allowed to play again (I had shoulder surgery in Nov of last year). I can't wait to hit the courts.

Hi, Sybarite and Octinoxate :-) Hee.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Apr 27 2006, 06:12 AM
Post #1926

it's cards on the table time

They may be cutting my tae bo class to one a week :-(, so I'm thinking of getting a DVD and doing a workout at home as well. I remember discussion in here about DVDs, although I think those were for yoga. In people's experience, is a home DVD workout as good as a class, or do you need that extra discipline?

+Quote Post
yummymum
post Apr 26 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #1927

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh I think I might have gotten over a hump, so to speak. I feel really good. Went out and ran on Monday night. I think that's what did it, because I was actually running with someone, and not alone this time. Then my treadmill and workout today felt great! I wonder if it's bad that I'm not totally expended right now. But maybe that's just because I'm getting in shape. I know that I will have a few muscle aces after I sleep on it- always do after a legs day.

So yes... this seems to be getting easier. And the "number" is down by 3!!!!! Finally. I keep looking at my stomach in the mirror, becuase it feels like I've lost 20 lbs. And anyway.... i don't look much different. But I feel a million times better! Oh well... baby steps, right?

I can't wait to get out and run again. Is that endorphins? I also found a good running partner for at least one night a week. Hey, it helps!

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Apr 25 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #1928

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks a lot for the recipe, Ris! I'm tentatively trying to go vegan at the moment, but I wonder if I couldn't sub in some applesauce for the yogurt/eggs. Or maybe soy yogurt...? Anybody know if you can bake with that stuff?

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Apr 25 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #1929

PANTIES! ew.

Oh, and the hardest part about this month-long commitment to get back on track (it's APRIL 25! Where has the time gone?) has been trying to not eat right before I go to bed. Like right now, I should be going to sleep soon (I have a super-early morning tomorrow), I've brushed my teeth and washed my face and everything, but for the last hour I've felt hungry. In the past, I would have eaten crackers or yogurt or ice cream or buttered toast (mmm, buttered toast ::Homer Simpson drool:: ) or whatever, even if it was just a half-hour before going to bed (BAD HABIT!), but it's still a little weird to be changing it, be aware that I'm changing it, and getting used to this new feeling. But it's a better feeling than feeling the food digesting while I'm trying to fall asleep.

(I'm not talking about a rumbling stomach, give-me-food-NOW feeling, just a dull I'm-feeling-a-tiny-bit-hungry feeling.)

Thanks for listening to me vent. Good night.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Apr 25 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #1930

PANTIES! ew.

Ris, those sound really good. Too bad I don't have a mixer (for the egg whites). Do you store the ground-up flaxseeds in the freezer?

A virtual toast to all of you for still being hot, intelligent, funny, and with great style no matter what your weight is.

You know what gets me? Take the amount of weight I still want to lose, give it to me in a box, and I would not be able to move the box very far after lifting it up. Yet I've been carrying it around for how many months on end with no rest? (And yeah yeah, I know all about weight distribution and I can't compare a heavy box to a human body, but please humor me here.)

+Quote Post
kbot79
post Apr 25 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #1931

BUSTie

I'll haveta try these too! I made your carrot-flax ones last week and they were delish. I used honey instead of brown sugar(less since honey is sweeter), but they weren't fluffy enough.

+Quote Post
ris
post Apr 24 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #1932

Hardcore BUSTie

And so what? Even with another pound or two (or ten, or twenty), I'm still fucking hot and intelligent and funny and have great style.
-- Yeah, girl.

Ok, Octinoxate, I tweaked the muffin recipe, and this latest batch is the shiznittle.

Healthy Blueberry-Banana Muffins

Ingredients:

2 cups either Kamut or regular whole wheat flour
¾ cup flaxseed meal
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt

2 cups blueberries (fresh or thawed and drained frozen)

½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 cup pureed bananas (about 4 medium or 3 large)
¾ cup sucanat
3 tbsp vanilla extract

3 egg whites

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients from the first section and mix.

In a small bowl, beat ingredients from second section.

Pre-heat oven to 350°.

In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.

Pour wet ingredients from second bowl as well as the 2 cups of blueberries into large bowl and mix until blended (no flour clumps) but don’t over-mix.

Fold in egg whites.

Spoon into muffin pan. Fill ‘em up to the top—they don’t rise as much as cupcakes.

Bake for 35 – 40 min. At 35 min, do the toothpick test. Don’t take them out until the toothpick comes out clean. They should be nicely browned on top.

I like to dunk them in yogurt for breakfast.

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Apr 24 2006, 09:28 PM
Post #1933

Hardcore BUSTie

Ha! Catlady, you're so right! It's always when I'm nasty and sweaty and wearing crusty soccer shorts and no make up, just having left the gym, that I get attention.

And yeah, actually, the times that I've weighed the most have probably been the times that I've attracted the most men as well. I chalk it up to the fact that when I was skinniest, it was because I was the most unhappy I'd ever been... and on the flip side, when I gained back most of the anorexia-induced weight loss was when I was happiest. Happy people are attractive. Self-loathing shows, and it's a turn off.

Catlady, I love love love to dance for cardio. Does that interest you at all?

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Apr 24 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #1934

the moistiest

gah... i think i don't have any ab muscles. billy kicked my butt today in that area.

ris, i think the cardio may be on the horizon. i was in the airport yesterday listening to my ipod's techno playlist--the one i used to use for running--and i had the sudden urge to run/dance/throw a rave.

and _oct, work your curves. i've noticed that in the times when i was plushier i got more pull. that also ties into my theory that the dirtier you are, the more likely you are to get hit on (now, i don't actively practice this, but there have been days where i was just rank [i.e. allnighters or whathaveyou] that i got hit on, and i was just like wtf?)

+Quote Post
quietmadness
post Apr 24 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #1935

Hardcore BUSTie

OH...KBOT79! Boy, can I *relate* to what you said!
I actually wake up in the morning, and I KNOW I AM NOT HUNGRY--but I'll eat anyway. Story of most of my days.
HOWEVER--I went to the doctor today, after several months of extreme water retention. He tested my blood for all kinds of shit, and I'm waiting on the results.
I couldn't BELIEVE what the damn scales said I weighed: Let's just say it's like 3 times what I *should* weigh.
I've found myself in size 3x clothes. I don't actually shop in stores anymore. I just order off of ebay.
I huff and puff if I walk to the mailbox and back. Or do anything *else* that requires movement.
I'm just tired of it. I'm tired of being fat as hell, and I'm tired of feeding when I KNOW I don't want to eat, not really.
My appetite is waning over the past few days, though...guess that's a "plus."
Guess I'll just try to eat healthier, and start walking? (yeah...that was a question posed to myself.)

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Apr 24 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #1936

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

Well, I am officially 2 pounds away from my first weight goal! I don't know what happened this week, but everything worked together and the pounds just started falling off. I think I lost 4 lbs last week. Mr. P and I were noticing last night the definite change in my overall shape. I confirmed it this morning on the scale at work. This is such a pick me up. I love that I know I didn't achieve thsi with crash diets and short cuts and that this is the real deal weight loss that should "stick".

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
kbot79
post Apr 24 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #1937

BUSTie

Thanks Octin!! Exactly what I needed to hear. Those episodes used to happen much more often for me (sometimes followed by purging), so it freaks me out when they happen now. I'm not talking about a little dessert or some fries one day--that's perfectly normal. I mean eating to punish myself (for what??), until my stomach is killing me and I can't fall asleep.

But today I've gotten back on a regular schedule and not even making myself go to the gym. I completely identify with the feeling of how always being just a little overweight fulfills some emotional hole, of something being "wrong"....

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Apr 24 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #1938

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey kbot, I've definitely been there. In fact, I go there regularly. I'll be eating great for a while, and then for a short period--usually a day or two--I just cannot stop gorging on junky food. I think it's partially physiological, because if I'm eating right and exercising I start to lose a wee wee wee bit of weight and my body says, "Girl, get me some more fuel in here!" But it's probably more psychological, because if I think I have or will lose weight then maybe I get a little freaked because feeling like I have a couple extra pounds on me serves some function, fulfills some emotional need for me (eg, giving me some small but consuming "problem" to focus on when I don't want to think about bigger stresses?). I think it also happens when I start to feel deprived, like I've been eating too healthy and I just want to pig out on brownies finally, dammit!

For me the best way to deal with it is to not sweat it. By refusing to freak out about a food binge I deprive food of some of its magic power over me. (Oh yeah, background: I used to be anorexic.) And by refusing to go into a super diet mode (eg, only fruits and veggies), I decrease the likelihood that in another week or two I'll feel deprived again and then binge out again.

I also remind myself that the worst case scenario about one of those food binges is that I gain a pound or two. And so what? Even with another pound or two (or ten, or twenty), I'm still fucking hot and intelligent and funny and have great style.

Tomorrow's a new day. Just hop back on the "becoming healthy" wagon and don't worry about it.

+Quote Post
kbot79
post Apr 23 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #1939

BUSTie

Sigh...I had a baaaad weekend. I never know whether to post here or in WW, since I'm unofficially tallying points, but here goes.

I fell off the wagon and binged for the last two days on all kinds of dairy, sugar and refined carbs (which I usually avoid, but once I start it's a train wreck). Last night I used getting high for the first time in awhile as an excuse, but I felt disgusting the whole time I was cramming chips and cookies into my gullet. Today I went to the gym and had a great workout despite the shitty weather, THEN came home and ate mac and cheese and ice cream and cookies. I'm not even PMS-ing...this just makes no sense! Actually, I have my 5-year college reunion in a coupla weeks and I think I'm obsessing about being thin for it. Thus causing me to overeat in typical self-defeating fashion.

My stomach hurts and is all stretched out. I think I gained at least 3 pounds in the past 3 days...it
s crazy how it takes me 10 times as long to lose weight (or maintain it) than to gain. I need to eat only fruits and veggies and do yoga for a week straight.

+Quote Post
ris
post Apr 23 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #1940

Hardcore BUSTie

Ok, this weather sucks. It's been raining non-stop since yesterday, and it's supposed to rain straight-through to Tuesday. And it's not even soft, warm, spring rain. It's cold, yucky, bundle-yer-ass-up rain.

At least the rain has given me an excuse to sleep in and rest a little. My muscles need a break. (But I'll still go to yoga tonight.)

I'm kinda proud of my restraint: last night I got together at a Japanese restaurant with a bunch of old friends from high school. The pitchers of Kirin beer (which I love) kept coming, and I had NONE of it. I had a couple of miniscule cups of sake. I barely even got buzzed. I just enjoyed the taste with the food. They were all trashed by the end of the meal and ready to move on to one of my favorite bars. I hugged everyone goodbye and went home. I was in bed by 1 am, and today I have no regrets.

You're right, Pixie, Pop/soda is totally toxic. And just tastes gross too.

Amilita, I'm right there with you. I've cut back to one cup in the morning, and if I'm working, I have one small cup at the beginning of my shift which starts at 5pm. And I'm sorry to hear that your gym's re-opening has been postponed again. That SUCKS.

So, speaking of migraines and such, that's why I don't get a period, RisaLa. I used to take the pill in the normal way (with the 1 week of placebos) and I would only spot for a day, but I would get wicked migraines. My doc said it would be fine for me to take the active pills continuously to avoid this. I do just that, and I'm a much happier person. Some people argue that the pill causes weight-gain, but that's *usually* just water weight. For people like me, not being on the pill means severe PMS in which I'm so depressed and irrational that I can totally justify eating half a bucket of fried chicken, a pint of mashed potatoes, and a root beer float in one sitting, thus causing real weight-gain vs. a little pill-induced water retention that I can just sweat out. Plus, without the pill, I'm cranky/tired/sluggish and wind up skipping any kind of physical activity. Oh, and before the pill, I got really bad pimples, which I used to hide under layers of makeup, which meant that I hated going places like the gym where I'd have to show my makeup-free, pimply complexion to the world. And that concludes my mini-essay on why the pill rocks my world and why I still take it even though I no longer sleep with men.

RisaLa, what kind of allergy meds are you taking? Have you tried any of the sprays like Nasonex? I start taking that before the leaves bud on the trees and I'm good to go all spring. I do the saline spray and then that each morning and I can run outside without allergy/asthma crap getting in the way.

Catlady, yoga's a great primer for cardio. You'll probably start to feel so good that you'll want to do cardio soon. I had such an amazing yoga class on Friday that yesterday, despite my tendency to feel less motivated on rainy/cold/grey days, I had my best run ever. I really feel that it's connected.

Zora, that's great! I totally hear you on that weird, simulaneous energetic/tired feeling after running.

My co-worker ran nearly 18 miles the other day... and then CAME TO WORK that evening. He's 42. He only started running in his 30s. I want to be him when I grow up.

And maybe I will. Yesterday, I registered for a marathon this fall. Training sessions start in 3 weeks. Have I lost my mind?

+Quote Post

97 Pages V  « < 95 96 97
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 20, 2014 - 06:34 PM