The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

271 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
crabcakes
post Jan 21 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #101

For all the ladies using usinig oral and vaginal lactobacillus to help with their vaginosis. There are these vaginal probiotics called PurFem, which contains Lactobalcillus Gasseri EB01, and L. Rhamnosus PB01. These strains are taken from the vaginas of healthy women (I know, eww), but they are the same Lactobacillus strains found in healthy women of childbearing age. L.Acidophilus come second to these, so if you want to try them along with Femdophilus, and the boric acid acid suppositories to keep the ph down, give them a try. I ordered these from Amazon, just before I found out that I had a tiny amount of L.Gasseri high up in my vagina, so I'll see what happens.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
crabcakes
post Jan 21 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #102

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 21 2012, 12:16 PM) *
Thank you for opening up about your situation. What really baffles me is the fact that some gynecologists can't seem to detect the odor, or at least they say they can't. There are some people suffering from TMAU and they have went to their doctors complaining about a strong body odor (strong enough to fill an entire room) and their doctors claim that they can't smell it. For example, I remember back when I was dealing with a troubling vaginal infection and I had a constant discharge and odor, I asked my gynecologist if she could smell the odor and she looked at me like I was crazy and said that she would tell me if she did, and she also mentioned that I passed the whiff test.

The fact that she mentioned this critical piece of information meant that she had to prove that the odor actually existed. Maybe they can't rely on their own senses, in this case, their sense of smell, because smells are very subjective. One person might smell something and interpret it differently than another person. Some women dealing with bacterial vaginosis say their odor smells like fish, some say ammonia, some say "dirty feet" and so on. Some people can't pick up on certain smells. And then, doctors need to be objective due to the nature of their work. Doctors actually need to buy a special insurance in case they get sued for malpractice, but that's a whole other topic.

Basically, doctors need to be able to prove something before they can actually make a conclusive diagnosis, or they can get in a lot of trouble.

Thank you so much for replying to my plea Sweet Simplicity, as for one, I know that I am not the only one who has suffered through this ordeal.
Well for one, my doctor allowed me to sniff the whiff test, and I admit, I smelled nothing at that time, but everytime I'm out and about I get the bad remarks that I haven't showered, or I need to douche, and this has been an ongoing thing since the diagnosis of 2009. First of all let me say that I do know quite a bit about vaginal care, so I do know the remarks weren't due to my cleanliness. In fact, I think that women who suffer from bacterial vaginosis or any type of body odor disorder are cleaner than the average person simply because they have this issue. I just did not appreciate the way my doctors and the nurses went out of their way to make me feel like I was making this up. Who would want to make up that they have feminine odor? Not me. They just don't understand the toll this has taken on my life. My doctor couldn't even explain to me why I didn't have any lactobacillus. The only way I knew I had a very minute amount of lactobacillus was by me being a fast reader because she was acting like she didn't want me to see my chart, but wanted to try another expensive procedure on me, while trying to figure out "my problem." I can't say for sure, but I think that I may need hormone balancing, I know that estrogen is what helps to keep the vagina happy and healthy, and I didn't start to experience these issues until the effects of the Depo Provera wore off. I have one more thing to say. Ladies, I know t is a rough ride dealing with this, there are times when I don't know if I may see another day due to the shame. It takes lactobacillus approximately 6-8 weeks to grow back to normal levels.

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Jan 21 2012, 01:16 PM
Post #103

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(crabcakes @ Jan 15 2012, 12:06 AM) *
Hi ladies, I'm still not quite sure how to post yet, but here goes.
Anyways, I have been reading and lurking on this forum since my battle with BV started in 2009. I did get bv when I was nineteen after coming off of the Depo shot, but it cleared up just fine with meds, and I didn't have a problem with it until June of 2009.
This has been the most humiliating and debilitating thing to happen to me because the odor is overwhelming. One day at work the air conditioning was broken, I am a chef, and it was pretty hot that day, and all of a sudden my area was engulfed with the scent of fish and the scent of my favorite fragrance. That was pretty traumatizing being the only woman in the kitchen filled with men. Since that day I have been on a quest to find the answer to my issue. I went to the doctor the very next day, and it was confirmed that I had bv, I took the meds, the bv didn't budge. I went back to the doctor's and they told me that the bv was still there, took the meds again, it only let up a little bit. I thought there is something else going on here. I had to leave work because the stress and embarrassment became to much for me to handle, and these were guys that I talked and joked around with everyday, but when my coochie got sick, they showed me who they really were. I went back to the doctor's not only for the bv, but I was also having trouble conceiving, so I requested a STD panel, low and behold, I checked out positive for chlamydia, got meds for that, tried to kill my husband, left him, and moved back home. I found a new gyn, and explained my problems to her, and asked her which route I should take. She first wanted to make sure the chlamydia was gone, so she took swabs, and once we discovered that it was indeed gone I had a HSG done, and it showed that I did have blockage in my left tube, which is probably why I was having trouble conceiving. I got that cleared up, but there was still no let up in the odor, I mean everywhere I would go someone would comment on it, and we all know how pretty mean people can be. This has pretty much destroyed me. I have gotten three jobs since and had to leave them because of this. I go back to my doctor to explain to her what's going and she always says that she can't smell anything, but that is not what I witness when I go places. I've tried everything that I possibly know how to do, my bathroom is like a little pharmacy. Now my my doctor and the nurses were calling me crazy because I kept going back to them, everytime I would get examined she would inform me that I had no lactobacillus, and I would ask her why not, and she sayed that she didn't know, and was I like yeah right. Anyways, I asked for a full culture bacterial culture, and a culture for STD's that's not usually checked for on a routine visit, I'll come back to this part later. I've even had testing for Trimethlyaminuria, and that came up negative, Thank God! I've also had a Hysteroscopy and DnC done because I'm thinking that something inside of me is dead, and producing the horrible odor. Then it hit me! Through my research, I went back on Depo in 2000 and stayed on it until 2006. I had perfect 30 day cycles, then all of a sudden they went to 23 cycles. I usually bled for five days, then it went to three days. So I'm guessing it took the Depo 18 months to clear from my system, and my body went wacky as far as hormones go. So when I get back to the doctors to find out about my results from the cultures and tests they ran, I tested negative for the all of STD's, which is a good thing, but while she was thumbing through my folder I noticed the page about my lactobacillus count, comes to found out I only had a minute amount of Lactobacillus, you know she abrubtly closed the book while I was reading, but I did catch what type of bacteria it was before she could, and it was L. Gasseri. So I already have some Lacto vaginal tablets at home that contain gasseri I was relieved to know that. She wanted me to keep coming to her and getting meds things that are not working, and trying to make me feel like a moron and call me crazy when I know what I deal with all of the time. I"ve ordered some feminine wash from China that's suppose to keep the Ph of the vagina down, but I was wondering why it wasn't working, and why I don't have a sufficient amout of healthy bacteria, I've used the Vagisil screening kit, ladies they do not work, at least they didn't for me. So I bought some regular ph strips from the pharmacy, and it clearly shows that my ph is at 6, and it hasn't dropped. A ph of 6 does not make a happy vagina. I thought they were faulty at first until I started testing them with things that I know are acidic like vinegar, my feminine wash which has a ph of 3.8, lemon juice, and they do what they are suppose to. That let's me know that I have the ph balance of a woman in menopause that's why when I use these things that really do work, they don't stick. Neverending was one who confirmed my thoughts, so now I'm on a mission to help cure myself. I have lost out on so much because of this, how do you go from smelling like Victoria Secrets to Sockeye Salmon all of a sudden, and there are no specific answers, that's bull. Jewels, Pianogirl, Neverending, Lori, Sprinkles, Konphusion, and all of the other girls thank you for being a light in times of darkness. Leggo!

Thank you for opening up about your situation. What really baffles me is the fact that some gynecologists can't seem to detect the odor, or at least they say they can't. There are some people suffering from TMAU and they have went to their doctors complaining about a strong body odor (strong enough to fill an entire room) and their doctors claim that they can't smell it. For example, I remember back when I was dealing with a troubling vaginal infection and I had a constant discharge and odor, I asked my gynecologist if she could smell the odor and she looked at me like I was crazy and said that she would tell me if she did, and she also mentioned that I passed the whiff test.

The fact that she mentioned this critical piece of information meant that she had to prove that the odor actually existed. Maybe they can't rely on their own senses, in this case, their sense of smell, because smells are very subjective. One person might smell something and interpret it differently than another person. Some women dealing with bacterial vaginosis say their odor smells like fish, some say ammonia, some say "dirty feet" and so on. Some people can't pick up on certain smells. And then, doctors need to be objective due to the nature of their work. Doctors actually need to buy a special insurance in case they get sued for malpractice, but that's a whole other topic.

Basically, doctors need to be able to prove something before they can actually make a conclusive diagnosis, or they can get in a lot of trouble.

--------------------
You can save $10 on your first purchase at iHerb if you use my referral code LUN601. Great selection of feminine hygiene products, candida/fungal/yeast products, and probiotics.

+Quote Post
crabcakes
post Jan 14 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #104

Hi ladies, I'm still not quite sure how to post yet, but here goes.
Anyways, I have been reading and lurking on this forum since my battle with BV started in 2009. I did get bv when I was nineteen after coming off of the Depo shot, but it cleared up just fine with meds, and I didn't have a problem with it until June of 2009.
This has been the most humiliating and debilitating thing to happen to me because the odor is overwhelming. One day at work the air conditioning was broken, I am a chef, and it was pretty hot that day, and all of a sudden my area was engulfed with the scent of fish and the scent of my favorite fragrance. That was pretty traumatizing being the only woman in the kitchen filled with men. Since that day I have been on a quest to find the answer to my issue. I went to the doctor the very next day, and it was confirmed that I had bv, I took the meds, the bv didn't budge. I went back to the doctor's and they told me that the bv was still there, took the meds again, it only let up a little bit. I thought there is something else going on here. I had to leave work because the stress and embarrassment became to much for me to handle, and these were guys that I talked and joked around with everyday, but when my coochie got sick, they showed me who they really were. I went back to the doctor's not only for the bv, but I was also having trouble conceiving, so I requested a STD panel, low and behold, I checked out positive for chlamydia, got meds for that, tried to kill my husband, left him, and moved back home. I found a new gyn, and explained my problems to her, and asked her which route I should take. She first wanted to make sure the chlamydia was gone, so she took swabs, and once we discovered that it was indeed gone I had a HSG done, and it showed that I did have blockage in my left tube, which is probably why I was having trouble conceiving. I got that cleared up, but there was still no let up in the odor, I mean everywhere I would go someone would comment on it, and we all know how pretty mean people can be. This has pretty much destroyed me. I have gotten three jobs since and had to leave them because of this. I go back to my doctor to explain to her what's going and she always says that she can't smell anything, but that is not what I witness when I go places. I've tried everything that I possibly know how to do, my bathroom is like a little pharmacy. Now my my doctor and the nurses were calling me crazy because I kept going back to them, everytime I would get examined she would inform me that I had no lactobacillus, and I would ask her why not, and she sayed that she didn't know, and was I like yeah right. Anyways, I asked for a full culture bacterial culture, and a culture for STD's that's not usually checked for on a routine visit, I'll come back to this part later. I've even had testing for Trimethlyaminuria, and that came up negative, Thank God! I've also had a Hysteroscopy and DnC done because I'm thinking that something inside of me is dead, and producing the horrible odor. Then it hit me! Through my research, I went back on Depo in 2000 and stayed on it until 2006. I had perfect 30 day cycles, then all of a sudden they went to 23 cycles. I usually bled for five days, then it went to three days. So I'm guessing it took the Depo 18 months to clear from my system, and my body went wacky as far as hormones go. So when I get back to the doctors to find out about my results from the cultures and tests they ran, I tested negative for the all of STD's, which is a good thing, but while she was thumbing through my folder I noticed the page about my lactobacillus count, comes to found out I only had a minute amount of Lactobacillus, you know she abrubtly closed the book while I was reading, but I did catch what type of bacteria it was before she could, and it was L. Gasseri. So I already have some Lacto vaginal tablets at home that contain gasseri I was relieved to know that. She wanted me to keep coming to her and getting meds things that are not working, and trying to make me feel like a moron and call me crazy when I know what I deal with all of the time. I"ve ordered some feminine wash from China that's suppose to keep the Ph of the vagina down, but I was wondering why it wasn't working, and why I don't have a sufficient amout of healthy bacteria, I've used the Vagisil screening kit, ladies they do not work, at least they didn't for me. So I bought some regular ph strips from the pharmacy, and it clearly shows that my ph is at 6, and it hasn't dropped. A ph of 6 does not make a happy vagina. I thought they were faulty at first until I started testing them with things that I know are acidic like vinegar, my feminine wash which has a ph of 3.8, lemon juice, and they do what they are suppose to. That let's me know that I have the ph balance of a woman in menopause that's why when I use these things that really do work, they don't stick. Neverending was one who confirmed my thoughts, so now I'm on a mission to help cure myself. I have lost out on so much because of this, how do you go from smelling like Victoria Secrets to Sockeye Salmon all of a sudden, and there are no specific answers, that's bull. Jewels, Pianogirl, Neverending, Lori, Sprinkles, Konphusion, and all of the other girls thank you for being a light in times of darkness. Leggo!

+Quote Post
stefani88
post Jan 12 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #105

QUOTE(CarrieBradshaw @ Nov 20 2011, 04:29 PM) *
Hey everyone,

Well after 3+ years of being all clear down there, I'm back having problems I just got married 6 months ago, too, so it's not the greatest timing (is it ever though??)

The thing that kept me well for 3 years was FemD. Well, I went off it and thought I was good. I was ... for awhile. I decided to try something really dumb this year -- the DIVA CUP. Apparently not a good thing for women dealing with feminine infections!! I also tried the cup right around the same time as going off the pill. I think it was just too many changes for my body.

Well, here we are 2 months laters, and I'm still in daily agony. This infection is a bit differen't. I'm mostly itchy/burning around the major labias -- and mostly when I sweat. How strange?? I did have some discharge, but it comes and goes. And ... I'm now having a smell (something I never had with my original bouts of BV three years ago).

Went to the gyno last week. She said it's Group B Strep. WTF? I'm on Amoxicillian (plus FemD) and see no relief in sight. I just don't know what to do -- the outer part of my girly bits are just so irrititated and uncomfortable! There is not much info on the Internet about Group B Strep, so I'm not sure what to do about it.

All I know is that when I DO get back to normal again (whenever that is!), I will NEVER stop taking FemD ever again. It is a miracle pill! The 3 years when I was "clean" were amazing!!!!

Thank you so much for your post.

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Jan 2 2012, 06:43 PM
Post #106

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Jan 2 2012, 06:47 PM) *
Hi Sunflowerchick!

You should get examined by a gynecologist to be sure that your actually dealing with bacterial vaginosis (if you haven't already). Bacterial vaginosis isn't recognized as something that is contagious or passed back and forth between partners, although I have read medical research that says men can carry the bacteria that causes bacterial vaginosis temporarily in their urethra (which is here, under the subtopic "sex").

The thing is, the research isn't conclusive and it hasn't been studied thoroughly. But, just to be on the safe side, you should use a condom when your having sex. Some women discover that their vaginal flora doesn't recalibrate after having unprotected sex since the semen's pH lowers/alters the pH of the vagina temporarily. I guess that is why some people will notice a smell in the "V area" after they have sex but a healthy vaginal flora should be able to bounce back.

And saliva contains an ecosystem of it's own. I think a good portion of the bacteria resides on the tongue itself, although I'm not too sure. The saliva can also affect the pH of the vagina as well as the vaginal flora. I think there was a study that linked oral sex with yeast infections, because of the candida yeast that can be present in the mouth, sometimes you can see it on a persons tomgue if they have a candida yeast overgrowth. The white coating on their tongue cannot be brushed off. The bacteria H.pylori can be spread to the vaginal flora during oral sex (here is a medical article on this). H. pylori is linked to a number of gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, stomach ulcers, and intestinal bacterial overgrowth among many other things. But, the saliva also contains hundreds or even thousands of different bacteria. Most of them should be harmless, but of course you can never know for sure.

In short, your boyfriend should not be affect by your possible bacterial vaginosis. But just to be on the safe side, you should use a condom to prevent the bacteria from possibly colonizing in his urethra and passing back to you. You also want to take precautions if he's going to perform oral sex on you. You can use dental dams.

Take probiotics for feminine health. They work wonders.

Good luck!

I forgot to insert the link for the quote. (Here) it is.

--------------------
You can save $10 on your first purchase at iHerb if you use my referral code LUN601. Great selection of feminine hygiene products, candida/fungal/yeast products, and probiotics.

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Jan 2 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #107

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Sunflowerchick1 @ Jan 2 2012, 02:10 AM) *
I would really like to know something, me and boyfriend we have sex and normally he performs oral sex on me, but lately I have been smelling like fish and it's embarrassing. I thought I had a std but a few years ago I had one and it went away and I had no smell. I don't know what to do. Can bv affect him sexually and orally?

Hi Sunflowerchick!

You should get examined by a gynecologist to be sure that your actually dealing with bacterial vaginosis (if you haven't already). Bacterial vaginosis isn't recognized as something that is contagious or passed back and forth between partners, although I have read medical research that says men can carry the bacteria that causes bacterial vaginosis temporarily in their urethra (which is here, under the subtopic "sex").
Gardnerella vaginalis colonization and/or infection predominantly occurs in women. Men rarely develop infections with G vaginalis; however, the urethras of men whose sexual partners have symptoms of BV are frequently colonized with the same strain of G vaginalis. A recent study by Bradshaw et al found that G vaginalis is not associated with nongonococcal urethritis.

The thing is, the research isn't conclusive and it hasn't been studied thoroughly. But, just to be on the safe side, you should use a condom when your having sex. Some women discover that their vaginal flora doesn't recalibrate after having unprotected sex since the semen's pH lowers/alters the pH of the vagina temporarily. I guess that is why some people will notice a smell in the "V area" after they have sex but a healthy vaginal flora should be able to bounce back.

And saliva contains an ecosystem of it's own. I think a good portion of the bacteria resides on the tongue itself, although I'm not too sure. The saliva can also affect the pH of the vagina as well as the vaginal flora. I think there was a study that linked oral sex with yeast infections, because of the candida yeast that can be present in the mouth, sometimes you can see it on a persons tomgue if they have a candida yeast overgrowth. The white coating on their tongue cannot be brushed off. The bacteria H.pylori can be spread to the vaginal flora during oral sex (here is a medical article on this). H. pylori is linked to a number of gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, stomach ulcers, and intestinal bacterial overgrowth among many other things. But, the saliva also contains hundreds or even thousands of different bacteria. Most of them should be harmless, but of course you can never know for sure.

In short, your boyfriend should not be affect by your possible bacterial vaginosis. But just to be on the safe side, you should use a condom to prevent the bacteria from possibly colonizing in his urethra and passing back to you. You also want to take precautions if he's going to perform oral sex on you. You can use dental dams.

Take probiotics for feminine health. They work wonders.

Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sunflowerchick1
post Jan 2 2012, 01:10 AM
Post #108

I would really like to know something, me and boyfriend we have sex and normally he performs oral sex on me, but lately I have been smelling like fish and it's embarrassing. I thought I had a std but a few years ago I had one and it went away and I had no smell. I don't know what to do. Can bv affect him sexually and orally?

+Quote Post
neverending
post Dec 7 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #109

Hardcore BUSTie

Hello ladies,

I had a horrific battle with BV for nearly 10years. I finally tried Estroil Suppositories, Vagi- fem, and finally the Nuvaring. Let me tell you, the Estroil worked. I thought, this is hormonal. Then I tried Vagi Fem, it worked too. From there I went on to discover and try the Nuvaring. All my BV worries have gone away and have been gone for more than 4yrs. Look back to my previous posts. So, with that being said, I found out that I had Atrophy of the vagina with a secondary bacterial infection. Once you clear up the Atrophy the BV goes away. Estrogen brings oxygen to the vagina which turns around and grows the Lactibacillus so the vagina can stay healthy. You all should try the Nuvaring. It works.

+Quote Post
jularee
post Dec 4 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #110

BUSTie

QUOTE(kaylan80 @ Nov 24 2011, 02:42 AM) *
Hi jularee,

did you take antibiotics when you started the treatment that ultimately worked, or did it go away on its own? How long did you have bv before then? sorry Im just trying to get an idea of what I should do next...

I got bv for the first time this past summer, I took metrogel for 5 days and it cleared up, since then i have had some of the same discharge and some odor but most of the time I have no symptoms. I frequently have unprotected sex, but I always be sure to wash myself well in the shower with soap immediately afterwards. I want to know what else I should know before going back to the doctor, because at this point it kinda looks like I need to :/

Thanks

Hi Kaylan! I gave up on antibiotics for my BV years ago. I just got so frustrated with the horrible side effects of the flagyl and metrogel and the inevitable return of the cooley funk a few days after I finished them. rolleyes.gif

I've had BV for almost 10 years now. Took antibiotics for maybe the first 2 or 3 years in a vicious cycle, then tried to find a more natural approach...tea tree oil, boric acid, vitamin C, vitamin D. You name it, I tried it. My poor hoo-haa was definitely a guinea pig for quite some time! The probiotics are the only thing I've been doing differently. Haven't changed my diet, still eat tons of sugar, no condoms during sex....and everything continues to go well.

Hope this helps!

+Quote Post
princessmombi
post Dec 4 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #111

I apologize in advance for the longwinded post but I feel its important to give my history with this infection.

So I will get right to the point. I am writing this because I finally feel like I have fixed my problem with recurrent bacterial vaginosis. First a bit of history of my situation... I am 26, one child, began sexua| activity at 13. I first experienced symptoms of bv at 14 years old, I noticed a terrible odor coming from my vagina. I wasnt being sexually active at the time so I knew it wasnt an STD. I thought maybe I just wasnt being hygenic enough but the more antibacterial soap I used, the worse it seemed to get. I told my mother and she made an appointment with the gyno, who incorrectly diagnosed me with a yeast infection. Eventually the bv symptoms went away on their own and I would only experience the odor every now and then. I still didnt know the name for it.

ANTIBIOTICS
When I was 16 it came back FULL FORCE. I was absolutely miserable and could not figure out why I felt so dirty down there. This infection was really hurting my self confidence and esteem. So I made an appointment at Planned Parenthood and the doctor immediately diagnosed me with BV and gave me an Rx for oral Flagyl. I was thrilled with the results, finally a little relief! But it didnt last long. Soon enough I was back with the odor and absolutely miserable. So I went back for more Flagyl. Between the ages of 16-25 I probably used oral Flagyl and the vaginal version(metrogel)50 times. I would feel better for a week at the most then it would be back with a vengeance. My doctor just kept telling me not to wipe from front to back(what female does this anyway??) and not to take bubble baths (but im a shower girl!). She even started telling me I had no odor and tried to insinuate that the problem was in my head. Like its normal for a healthy vagina to smell like cat urine. I wanted to slap her.

PROBIOTICS
The BUST forum was the first place I heard about Femdophilus. So I bought some and started to insert them vaginally and actually DID notice a positive change, but I still had so much bad bacteria in me that taking the probiotics alone just wasnt getting it. So I got yet another Rx for metrogel and started the probiotics AFTER my medication was finished, still had the odor. I did this several times and it never worked. I refused to resign myself to the fact that I would spend the rest of my life smelling like garbage even though I could barely remember a time when I didnt. I cried about it, prayed, and did countless internet searches. My doctor had stopped prescribing the metrogel and started giving me Clindamycin, my symtptoms would be nonexistent during treatment so I knew that bacteria was the issue, but they'd come right back after I was finished and the more I used it the more my body became immune to it. I did countless internet searches on bv and read hundreds of stories from other women who had my same issues, and it seemed like the answer for most had been probiotics. So I decided to give them another try.

RELIEF
I began inserting one Femdophilus capsule in my vagina in the morning, then taking the oral Clindamycin 4 hours after. Then inserting another Femdophilus at bedtime. Symptoms cleared up immediately then two days later I realized that I was only taking one Clindamycin a day when I was supposed to be taking TWO! On top of that I had a raging yeast infection, my vagina was really swollen and irritated so I stopped inserting the Femdophilus vaginally and began taking two orally in the morning with water then using my Clindamycin as prescribed, one pill twice a day for the next 5 days. My symptoms definitely werent as severe, but I still had a discharge and it still had a smell to it that wasnt pleasant. But my research assured me that I was on the right track and I just needed to keep taking the FemD as I had been. Im still taking it every morning and I am happy to report that for the last two weeks (apprx two days after finishing my antibiotics) I have had a normal discharge and absolutely NO odor!!!! NONE. I have to keep checking to make sure I'm not dreaming. I am ecstatic!! I continue to take two FemD every morning and will continue to take it until I feel its safe to go down to one a day.

What I Learned
The more antibiotics you take, the more you deplete your healthy bacterium and the vicious cycle continues. But for me antibiotics WERE a crucial component in my treatment, I just didnt realize that I needed to be using them in conjunction with a probiotic. For me that means both in the same day. Taking the probiotic at the same time with the antibiotic is obviously not helpful. In studies they typically instruct the women to take the probiotics in the morning so I made sure to take mine first thing then waited 5 hours before taking my antibiotic. That way the antibiotic had all day and night to work in my system then I could replenish the good bacterium in the morning. If you decide to switch the order make sure you find out the half life of your oral antibiotic(thats the amt of hours it stays active in your system), that way you arent wasting your probiotics because taking them too soon after the antibiotic will kill the good bacteria. Make sure you are taking two probiotics as well. I know that it is popular to insert them vaginally, but I personally believe this can cause irritation and is unnecessary. To each his own though. Here is a great study done on the benfits of probiotics to cure bacterial vaginosis when used in conjunction with an antibiotic(in this case tinidazole)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&a...967J2jFJxycvtXA

My condolences to everyone who is suffering with this, I know firshand how hopeless it can feel at times but please DONT EVER GIVE UP!!! I will continue to update you guys on my status, I see the doc on Tuesday and I am going to have her run tests to see if the mobiluncus(the name of the nasty bacteria that was taking over my vagina) is still running rampant. Good luck Ladies!!! (((HUGS)))

-Mombi

+Quote Post
kaylan80
post Nov 24 2011, 02:42 AM
Post #112

QUOTE(jularee @ Nov 15 2011, 03:51 PM) *
Hello all! I haven't been to this thread in forever, so I thought I would give a quick little update.

I've been BV free for almost 6 months now. I think I owe it all to the probiotics I started taking for my stomach problems. They're called Dr. Ohhira's Professional Plus. They're pretty expensive but if this is my cure, then I'll continue to take them forever! lol

I also started using plain ol' Ivory soap for my ladybits. So far everything is great. Even after condomless sex there's no smell! I'm still so paranoid and cautious that it'll return..I constantly do "whiff" checks and have my SO (who has been super supportive and understanding thru this ordeal) be truthful if he smells anything as well. smile.gif

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck to you all.

Hi jularee,

did you take antibiotics when you started the treatment that ultimately worked, or did it go away on its own? How long did you have bv before then? sorry Im just trying to get an idea of what I should do next...

I got bv for the first time this past summer, I took metrogel for 5 days and it cleared up, since then i have had some of the same discharge and some odor but most of the time I have no symptoms. I frequently have unprotected sex, but I always be sure to wash myself well in the shower with soap immediately afterwards. I want to know what else I should know before going back to the doctor, because at this point it kinda looks like I need to :/

Thanks

+Quote Post
CarrieBradshaw
post Nov 20 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #113

BUSTie

Hey everyone,

Well after 3+ years of being all clear down there, I'm back having problems I just got married 6 months ago, too, so it's not the greatest timing (is it ever though??)

The thing that kept me well for 3 years was FemD. Well, I went off it and thought I was good. I was ... for awhile. I decided to try something really dumb this year -- the DIVA CUP. Apparently not a good thing for women dealing with feminine infections!! I also tried the cup right around the same time as going off the pill. I think it was just too many changes for my body.

Well, here we are 2 months laters, and I'm still in daily agony. This infection is a bit differen't. I'm mostly itchy/burning around the major labias -- and mostly when I sweat. How strange?? I did have some discharge, but it comes and goes. And ... I'm now having a smell (something I never had with my original bouts of BV three years ago).

Went to the gyno last week. She said it's Group B Strep. WTF? I'm on Amoxicillian (plus FemD) and see no relief in sight. I just don't know what to do -- the outer part of my girly bits are just so irrititated and uncomfortable! There is not much info on the Internet about Group B Strep, so I'm not sure what to do about it.

All I know is that when I DO get back to normal again (whenever that is!), I will NEVER stop taking FemD ever again. It is a miracle pill! The 3 years when I was "clean" were amazing!!!!

+Quote Post
jularee
post Nov 15 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #114

BUSTie

Hello all! I haven't been to this thread in forever, so I thought I would give a quick little update.

I've been BV free for almost 6 months now. I think I owe it all to the probiotics I started taking for my stomach problems. They're called Dr. Ohhira's Professional Plus. They're pretty expensive but if this is my cure, then I'll continue to take them forever! lol

I also started using plain ol' Ivory soap for my ladybits. So far everything is great. Even after condomless sex there's no smell! I'm still so paranoid and cautious that it'll return..I constantly do "whiff" checks and have my SO (who has been super supportive and understanding thru this ordeal) be truthful if he smells anything as well. smile.gif

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck to you all.

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Oct 27 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #115

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(jsell1981 @ Oct 12 2011, 08:33 PM) *
Thank you so much for the information. It sounds like you have done your research and have put a lot of time and thought into this! I haven't really started to look for other alternatives in the past because the antibiotics always helped for an extended period of time. Now it just seems like things are getting worse. I will definitely be checking into the whole hormone thing. Thanks again!

I hope everything works out for you.
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsell1981
post Oct 12 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #116

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Oct 12 2011, 06:22 PM) *
It sounds like your BV has a hormonal trigger, especially since you've been dealing with it since you were 13 (assuming this is about the same time you've started menstruating), and it comes back a few days after your period ends (also a time when women are more prone to vaginitis). I actually did a short post on hormones and bacterial vaginosis (here). But still I haven't been able find what exactly is the cause. I've come to the conclusion that there probably isn't an exact cause since hormones are pretty complex and vary from person to person. The research was based on the levels of estrogen in the vaginal flora of women who have a normal flora compared to those who have bacterial vaginosis, and those with bacterial vaginosis had considerably less estrogen in their flora than those with a normal flora. That basically sums up the results. It did mention the flora of women who smoked; their vaginal flora had less estrogen than those who didn't smoke, but still had much more estrogen than those with bacterial vaginosis. Unfortunately, there isn't much else (as far as I know) about the cause of this hormonal imbalance. There are several things you can do in order to get your hormones in check. I actually have links to great sources about balancing hormones from Dr. Oz, The Doctors, and CNBC. Since everyone's body functions differently, it can be difficult to pin point an exact cause. It's very important to keep this in mind.

For the Fem-Dophilus, you should start off taking it twice a day for a week. After that first week is over, you take it once a day. But this rule isn't written in stone. If you respond better to taking it twice a day, then you should do that, even if it is a less cost effective method. Since you have chronic and reoccurring BV taking Fem-D twice a day would be a good idea in my opinion (or until you feel comfortable taking it once a day).

When you are taking the antibiotics, try to take them at least two hours to four hours before you take the Fem-Dophilus. If you take the antibiotic right after you take the Fem-Dophilus, it will kill the good bacteria. If you take the antibiotic first and it has worked it's way through your system and then a couple of hours later you take the probiotic, the probiotic can replenish the lost bacteria.

Taking birth control to control bacterial vaginosis can be kind of "ify". Studies have said taking birth control does help bacterial vaginosis to a certain degree, as in preventing reoccurrences and the chances of developing it, but the percentage isn't high enough for me to really suggest you go for it. So in other words, if you really want to try that for sake of knowing for yourself, then go for it. But don't be surprised if it doesn't help at all.

If you need someone to talk to, I'm here. You can also email me or send me a message.

Thank you so much for the information. It sounds like you have done your research and have put a lot of time and thought into this! I haven't really started to look for other alternatives in the past because the antibiotics always helped for an extended period of time. Now it just seems like things are getting worse. I will definitely be checking into the whole hormone thing. Thanks again!

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Oct 12 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #117

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(jsell1981 @ Oct 11 2011, 10:41 PM) *
Hi everybody, I'm a newbie on here just looking for some advice and a place to vent. I have been suffering from chronic BV off and on since I was 13. I was picked on in middle school because of this and also by men as an adult. It appears that now that I am in my "child bearing" years (30) the situation has gotten much worse. When I was younger I was able to take the antibiotic and be BV free for years at a time. Over the past two years I have probably had BV about 10-12 times, maybe more. I am always prescribed an antibiotic and then subjected to STD testing when it comes back because the Dr. can't explain it otherwise. I have tried RePhresh, didn't work and very messy. I have tried VH Essentials suppositories, worked unti the dose was over and then symptoms came right back. I have tried the hydrogen peroxide douche, helps with the smell immediately but eventually stopped working and I hate douching. I was treated with Flagyl in April 2011, came back in August 2011. The last time I was treated with Flagyl was on August 28, 2011. That same day I started taking Fem-Dophilus, one capsule per day. I have been on the probiotic since August 28th. As I sit here typing this, I now have BV again. I have had it so many times that I immediately know when I have it. Starts with a horrible odor and dishcharge, sometimes it escalates to burning and sometimes it doesn't. I don't understand how there can be so much watery discharge but yet I feel so dry and itchy/burny. I don't even go the Gyn anymore for it, I just go to Centra Care and they give me a prescription with refills without an exam because they trust that I know my symptoms. I just finished filling my last flagyl refill online which I will pick up tomorrow. My question is, am I not taking enough Fem-dophilus? Should I be taking two capsules a day? Should I take one capsule twice a day or two capsules once a day? I live in a big city and Fem-dophilus is easy to find so I'd really love for this stuff to work! I really don't know what else to do anymore. I don't douche and I don't use scented soaps. Sex is not even fun anymore. This always seems to come back a few days after my period ends. I am not on birth control because I don't have sex often and my periods are very regular. I have even thought about getting on the birth control that stops your period for months at a time to see if that keeps it at bay but I don't like the side effects of birth control pills either! I really hate taking medication and would love to be done with Flagyl forever! Help!

It sounds like your BV has a hormonal trigger, especially since you've been dealing with it since you were 13 (assuming this is about the same time you've started menstruating), and it comes back a few days after your period ends (also a time when women are more prone to vaginitis). I actually did a short post on hormones and bacterial vaginosis (here). But still I haven't been able find what exactly is the cause. I've come to the conclusion that there probably isn't an exact cause since hormones are pretty complex and vary from person to person. The research was based on the levels of estrogen in the vaginal flora of women who have a normal flora compared to those who have bacterial vaginosis, and those with bacterial vaginosis had considerably less estrogen in their flora than those with a normal flora. That basically sums up the results. It did mention the flora of women who smoked; their vaginal flora had less estrogen than those who didn't smoke, but still had much more estrogen than those with bacterial vaginosis. Unfortunately, there isn't much else (as far as I know) about the cause of this hormonal imbalance. There are several things you can do in order to get your hormones in check. I actually have links to great sources about balancing hormones from Dr. Oz, The Doctors, and CNBC. Since everyone's body functions differently, it can be difficult to pin point an exact cause. It's very important to keep this in mind.

For the Fem-Dophilus, you should start off taking it twice a day for a week. After that first week is over, you take it once a day. But this rule isn't written in stone. If you respond better to taking it twice a day, then you should do that, even if it is a less cost effective method. Since you have chronic and reoccurring BV taking Fem-D twice a day would be a good idea in my opinion (or until you feel comfortable taking it once a day).

When you are taking the antibiotics, try to take them at least two hours to four hours before you take the Fem-Dophilus. If you take the antibiotic right after you take the Fem-Dophilus, it will kill the good bacteria. If you take the antibiotic first and it has worked it's way through your system and then a couple of hours later you take the probiotic, the probiotic can replenish the lost bacteria.

Taking birth control to control bacterial vaginosis can be kind of "ify". Studies have said taking birth control does help bacterial vaginosis to a certain degree, as in preventing reoccurrences and the chances of developing it, but the percentage isn't high enough for me to really suggest you go for it. So in other words, if you really want to try that for sake of knowing for yourself, then go for it. But don't be surprised if it doesn't help at all.

If you need someone to talk to, I'm here. You can also email me or send me a message.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsell1981
post Oct 11 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #118

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie on here just looking for some advice and a place to vent. I have been suffering from chronic BV off and on since I was 13. I was picked on in middle school because of this and also by men as an adult. It appears that now that I am in my "child bearing" years (30) the situation has gotten much worse. When I was younger I was able to take the antibiotic and be BV free for years at a time. Over the past two years I have probably had BV about 10-12 times, maybe more. I am always prescribed an antibiotic and then subjected to STD testing when it comes back because the Dr. can't explain it otherwise. I have tried RePhresh, didn't work and very messy. I have tried VH Essentials suppositories, worked unti the dose was over and then symptoms came right back. I have tried the hydrogen peroxide douche, helps with the smell immediately but eventually stopped working and I hate douching. I was treated with Flagyl in April 2011, came back in August 2011. The last time I was treated with Flagyl was on August 28, 2011. That same day I started taking Fem-Dophilus, one capsule per day. I have been on the probiotic since August 28th. As I sit here typing this, I now have BV again. I have had it so many times that I immediately know when I have it. Starts with a horrible odor and dishcharge, sometimes it escalates to burning and sometimes it doesn't. I don't understand how there can be so much watery discharge but yet I feel so dry and itchy/burny. I don't even go the Gyn anymore for it, I just go to Centra Care and they give me a prescription with refills without an exam because they trust that I know my symptoms. I just finished filling my last flagyl refill online which I will pick up tomorrow. My question is, am I not taking enough Fem-dophilus? Should I be taking two capsules a day? Should I take one capsule twice a day or two capsules once a day? I live in a big city and Fem-dophilus is easy to find so I'd really love for this stuff to work! I really don't know what else to do anymore. I don't douche and I don't use scented soaps. Sex is not even fun anymore. This always seems to come back a few days after my period ends. I am not on birth control because I don't have sex often and my periods are very regular. I have even thought about getting on the birth control that stops your period for months at a time to see if that keeps it at bay but I don't like the side effects of birth control pills either! I really hate taking medication and would love to be done with Flagyl forever! Help!

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Sep 20 2011, 10:40 AM
Post #119

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(RockMamma @ Sep 17 2011, 08:36 PM) *
Julie,

BV is caused by an imbalance between "good" bacteria and "bad" bacteria in the vagina.
Whenever a woman sees a doctor and is diagnosed with BV, the doctor always prescribes antibiotics. And it is essential that if you start the antibiotics you finish all of them. Otherwise your BV will return and it will take stronger antibiotics to fight off the infection. But the challenge with antibiotics is that they can't tell the difference between "good" bacteria and "bad" bacteria and it kills it all.

BV is the most common vaginal infection in women 15-44 and many women have recurring bouts of BV so I prefer using natural remedies to combat the disruptive irritation. Visit http://vaginosisnaturalcure.com/ to read about natural remedies and home remedies. Much safer than taking antibiotics when you don't have to.

Hi!

If you don't mind me asking, what remedies have you used that work for you? Does what you do work in the short term (as in temporary relief), or long term (your BV clears up completely)?

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RockMamma
post Sep 17 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #120

Julie,

BV is caused by an imbalance between "good" bacteria and "bad" bacteria in the vagina.
Whenever a woman sees a doctor and is diagnosed with BV, the doctor always prescribes antibiotics. And it is essential that if you start the antibiotics you finish all of them. Otherwise your BV will return and it will take stronger antibiotics to fight off the infection. But the challenge with antibiotics is that they can't tell the difference between "good" bacteria and "bad" bacteria and it kills it all.

BV is the most common vaginal infection in women 15-44 and many women have recurring bouts of BV so I prefer using natural remedies to combat the disruptive irritation. Visit http://vaginosisnaturalcure.com/ to read about natural remedies and home remedies. Much safer than taking antibiotics when you don't have to.

QUOTE(julie @ Aug 9 2011, 07:03 AM) *
hey im new here..
anw.i have been reading every where bout BV..ITS KILLING ME..M STRESSED OUT.

please help

i found out that i had bv 3 months ago..but i didnt realize that its serius
i stop the antibiotics as soon as the symptomes went
i didnt finish the course
n it came back
and then i went twice to the doctor and had two rounds of antibiotics
but it jus came back
so i used boric acid with coconut oil for a week n it came back
so i used it again for two weeks and during that time i had my period too.
and then now m back with the BV

please help.i dont know what to do anymore..exept suiside

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 30, 2014 - 02:45 PM