Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

294 Pages V  « < 231 232 233 234 235 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BustSecret: Ordinary Confessions from Extraordinary Busties
katiebelle2882
post Sep 19 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #4641

Hardcore BUSTie

in my experience, you need a college degree to even remotely live or even have a chance at doing anything interesting or fulfilling at this point. in fact half the time you need a masters or higher. i dont like it, but hell, its the way it is where i am right now. and it sucks bc how the hell am i going to pay for grad school?

--------------------
“There's something about the Irish that is remarkable.”-François de la Rochefoucauld
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wombat
post Sep 19 2006, 07:57 AM
Post #4642

Dragon Velocity

I do graphic design, and you used to be able to make connections, develop skills and show that you could do it, and that's it, you'd get jobs. You could work your way up on your own ideas, if you could be reliable and deal with pressure and cooperate with others and deal with technical things.

A couple years ago, the real estate market went up and the price of the necessary equipment to accomplish these tasks went down. This means there is a lot more competition, and, along with corporate mega-mergers and swallowing up of small firms and independent media, means you have to get a Bachelor's degree in a closely related field to get a job - or even get in the door to get interviewed and show your portfolio.

I tried clever work-arounds for awhile, but realized I'd better suck it up, budget and work like HELL, and cash in my previous education chips. You can complain forever that it's not fair, but if they require a degree and it's not fair I still better GET ONE.

There are still people trying to get inferior jobs in the company and then manipulate their way, or getting "certificates" or trying to find some guy running something out of his living room or something, but that is just plain pathetic.

The other thing is, a lot of my friends try to dump on me for thinking I need a car. Well, I live in the city so I do the reverse commute thing, and while I'd RATHER just hop a train into the groovy hipness city the way I do now, the fact that I CAN drive to the suburbs and they CAN'T means that I have more opportunities. Places that offer mid-level positions sometimes can't afford rent around here. Not all public transit goes there, and the highways and winter make it hard to bike.

I spent money I needed to spend. I'm going to spend more on a laptop and software. That's just the way it goes.

I also know that looks and health and grooming and clothing are important. I'm not personally being a prissy snob -- I'm in a visual field. I'll get judged by hipness, I'll get hired on how well I can exercise and eat and have reasonable vitality and a lack of scary medical things and cop out excuses. My boss will be judged by how hip and attractive and conformist I am by her boss. It might not be "niiiiice" but it's the truth -- ignore it at your peril.

sure, I guess if you're parents buy you medications you can cruise on their dime, with them paying your rent, medical bills and retirement, you can just go out shopping and watch dvds and live in fantasy land. Rah rah for you. I personally would rather DIE than live that way. That's like being in an effin' nursing home.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 19 2006, 07:02 AM
Post #4643

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Oh, I'm not doubting that it's hard, but I get sick of people acting like a college degree is the be all and end all. Of course, if your passion is to be a doctor/lawyer/teacher/nurse/engineer, etc., then yeah, you don't really have a choice, but after having a miserable educational experience for 15 years, I decided there are other ways to fill my head and other ways to be sucessful and feel fulfilled in life. I also came to the conclusion that I didn't want my job to be the center of my life, so what was the point of spending all that time and money for it. I have a feeling that even if I had stayed in school and gotten a degree, I would still be questioning whatever I ended up doing, and I'd be much farther in debt than I am now on top of that. I choose to look at it as having more choices and less debt.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Sep 19 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #4644

PANTIES! ew.

Doodle, reading your confession reminded me that I, too, was considered to be one of the school's "druggies" because I wasn't so easy to pin down; no one could figure me out. Hell, I couldn't even figure myself out for half of high school (and, really, isn't that NORMAL?!). Funny to think that now they thought I was a druggie; no one ever approached me to see if I had stuff. I never even tried alcohol in high school. I was too funny/weird/had friends in different cliques to be voted for "class radical" and the obvious girl who was the star of all the theater stuff won the dumb award. I was a band nerd and too weird for even the drama nerds, so I know where you're coming from. (except my parents would have killed me if I had cut school)

I've got to visit my grandmother this morning and I kind of don't feel like going. I know I'll feel differently when I get there, but UGH... guilt. Stupid.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 18 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #4645

i confess that i love doodlebug. and many others here too, but right this minute it is the queen of bees.

+Quote Post
lowredmoon
post Sep 18 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #4646

Hardcore BUSTie

confession:
if it was up to me, i would marry this boy, seven year age difference and his girlfriend be damned.

--------------------
"Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."
--Margaret Atwood

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Sep 18 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #4647

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

I have to say, life without a post-secondary education has been really hard, and I am very afraid of what comes after this job. I've been very lucky that the feminist movement as an employer acknowledges life experience alongside education and work experience. So I'd hate it if I were being held up as an example without folks knowing that side of things.

But thanks... smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 18 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #4648

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

((Doodle)) Your childhood could have been mine (in terms of school, anyway).

I had this asshat teacher for 6th grade (I confessed about him here earlier, shortly after the thread started) who told me that he and my parents had talked about my future and agreed that I'd be a high school dropout. I was pretty sure my parents would never have said that, and when I told my mom about it later, she was shocked that he would tell me such a thing. I now believe that I had been depressed since I was a child, stuggled all through school and it finally became too much in college, so I stopped doing my work and got kicked out, had to move back home. I got into therapy, went on meds, took a few classes at the community college, but even that got to be too much and I never got my degree. I think if I had been diagnosed earlier and some action had been taken, school would not have been the major hellish experience it was and I would have made it through college. At this point, I just have such a horrible reaction to it, I really don't think I could go back.

But in all seriousness, you seem to be a shining example of how much you can do without a college degree and it really gives me hope wub.gif

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Sep 18 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #4649

confession: I was one of the students that teachers stopped believing in. They thought I was a "stoner" even though I had never done any drugs or drinking. They thought I was an underachiever or dumb or uninterested in learning. But nobody ever bothered looking into what was going on at home that prevented me from doing my homework, that filled me with anxiety and depression, that made me numb and unable to concentrate in class. I certainly never had the language to articulate what was happening, not that there was anyone I trusted to tell. Nobody ever bothered looking into the school bullying that also filled me with anxiety and depression, and finally made me start skipping classes. Even though the first time I skipped school was in the 6th grade, nobody tried to find out the reasons. By the 9th and 10th grades, when I started ditching all the time, many of my teachers assumed I was skipping out to get high, but I was actually walking around listening to music and thinking, or I was holed up somewhere writing or drawing, or I was hanging out reading at the public library (though sometimes I went to museums instead). Nobody cared. Nobody thought I could be saved. Nobody ever encouraged me to dream about what my life could be. I was one of the ones who was supposed to never amount to anything. So all I could plan for was growing old enough to get away from the hell I was living in. I barely made it through high school and I never went to university. I left home at 17. As a young adult, I experienced a lot of heartache, made a lot of mistakes, and underwent a lot of counselling and group therapy before I finally got my shit together and carved myself a place in the world. Now I am considered a "community leader." I run a non-profit advocacy organization, and I helped form a province-wide coalition of similar organizations. Which gives lie to my teachers' beliefs that I was a hopeless wastrel and stoner who would probably never amount to anything. If one teacher - or one adult of any stripe - had reached out to me and taken an interest in my life, asked me the questions that would have made me spill my guts on the whole, sad situation, perhaps I could have overcome it a lot sooner, and gone on to do something even more outstanding.

confession: writing that last paragraph and knowing people will be reading it makes me so uncomfortable that it aches inside, and I would never, ever have posted something that intensely personal except for the fact that I think kelkello probably needs to read it. So if the rest of you like me as much as you say you do, you will completely ignore this post and act like it never existed. *weak smile*

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
kelkello
post Sep 18 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #4650

The rest is gravy...

confession: I'm a teacher who is starting to no longer believe they can all be saved. Some of them will never amount to anything. This is a traumatic realization for me. I always thought that all my students had potential good, but I'm not so sure anymore. And it makes me sad. I gotta get my belief back or I need a different career. Since I love my job, I gotta find a way to believe.

--------------------
The greatest instance of serendipity since penicillin.

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Sep 18 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #4651

Pacifism kicks ass!

Mouse, I know exactly how you feel! I used to live downtown & worked in the suburbs. My commute was about 15 minutes, but if I'd been traveling the opposite direction, it easily would have been more than twice as long. I admit to cackling with laughter a few times during that drive. wink.gif

I confess that I really really miss my cat. And I often wish that I hadn't let my ex keep her. But for some reason, it hurts when he mentions her. It's so upsetting to me that I never ask him about her. Somehow hearing about her makes it harder.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Sep 18 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #4652

sassygrrl

Mouse, I so heart your confession. I always think that on my way to work, I take public transit and just laugh... smile.gif

Cranberrigirl, I loved your confession as well.

CCC, I like that feeling too. That happened at work today with cunt supervisor, and it sort of reminded me that she had a personality (even though she denies having a brain, heart, or soul).

Confession: I went to work hungover today and no one seemed to notice. I don't know if this was a good thing or a bad thing.

Confession: I really need to stop buying shit food. I need to cook more, but my damn kitchen is so freaking dark.

Confession: I want to smack my roommate.

Confession: I also still believe in magic. smile.gif

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Sep 18 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #4653

confession: even though 1) I was young once, and 2) I do enjoy listening to music myself, and 3) I don't usually complain about other tenants and especially not about their music (see parts 1 and 2)....I finally complained about that young dickhead neighbour's music. Because even though the only place our apartments are connected is via my bathroom and my bedroom closet, I could hear heavy thumping bass in the LIVING ROOM when I got home from work today, even after I closed the bathroom door, plus I could hear it in my bedroom at 3 and 4 in the morning on the weekend. And also because, even though he got arrested and fined $1000 this summer for being a dickhead to other tenants with his little mini-motorbike, he's STILL got a little too much white male privilege and he STILL needs to learn that he's not king of the fucking world.

confession: I hope he hates me even more than he already did from thinking I was the one who called the cops over the mini-motorbike. In fact, I hope he hates me so much that he moves out soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cranberrigirl
post Sep 18 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #4654

Hardcore BUSTie

I believe in teaching children about fairies, and magic and gimme monsters. I warp their minds to make wishes on stars, avoid cracks in sidewalks, moles are really beauty marks... freckles are beautiful and if you step on a daddy long legs it will rain.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Sep 18 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #4655

the moistiest

when people screw up around me, i like it. not because it makes me feel superior, but because it reminds me that they're human too, and i have some company in fuck-up-ville.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Sep 18 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #4656

Most Likely Procrastinating

confession:

i have a long commute to work, but it's the opposite direction of everyone else (most people leave the valley to go into the city, i leave the city to go into the valley) and sometimes i think a terrible nelson-esque "HAW-HAW!" when i see the cars in the other direction bumper to bumper not moving as i'm zipping along at 75mph. most of the time i see them and just feel really grateful that it's not me, but i have to confess that sometimes i think "ha! suckers!" unsure.gif

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
prettynpink
post Sep 18 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #4657

Hardcore BUSTie

I firmly believe that the white horse I see in the pasture on my way to work from time to time is magical.

--------------------
Whats brown and sticky? A STICK! bwuahahahahahahahahahaaaa

+Quote Post
wombat
post Sep 18 2006, 08:53 AM
Post #4658

Dragon Velocity

I'm not acquiring stuff, I'm getting rid of stuff.

Will soon start selling things.

I won't break my own heart though, getting rid of stuff I really care about.

Bunny_b -- ~*~*~ vibes for finishing dissertation ~*~*~

I laughed when I read about the Irish Setter and your sister just because I initially read it as, "when we had a sister we had to get rid of her" ha ha! (and I'm the younger sister, so you know that's funny) "Hello? Adoption agency? Our new baby is conflicting with our dog, so she has to go! Could you come pick her up?"

Confession: I waste too much time. Also! I spend too much on eating out instead of cooking. It's better than it used to be, though

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Sep 18 2006, 03:36 AM
Post #4659

sassygrrl

Confession: Katie, sounds like a plan.

Confession: It is nearly 6 a.m., and I'm still HUNGOVER.

Confession: I can't get McCrush's lips out of my mind.... smile.gif

+Quote Post
katiebelle2882
post Sep 17 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #4660

Hardcore BUSTie

i vacillate between wanting to save the world, make alot of money, or move to tahiti and be a bartender. i cant decide which. sometimes, the bartending option sounds like the best one.

--------------------
“There's something about the Irish that is remarkable.”-François de la Rochefoucauld

+Quote Post

294 Pages V  « < 231 232 233 234 235 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 23, 2014 - 07:26 AM