The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vinyl Voyager..the Record /lp/ Music Discovery Thread...
go_kayte
post Dec 18 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

Oooh I love this thread! I actually just did this yesterday:
IPB Image
IPB Image

My records were previously in crates on the floor so I finally got a shelf and alphebetized and got the records off the floor! We have sooo much more floorspace now. I'm going to make a list (I love lists) of what we have and I'll post it here.

The shelf is from Sears by the way, it was $45.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Dec 17 2006, 11:18 PM
Post #42

brown delicious

i was thinking how i would love for us busties to get together in here so i could hear all of these albums live. that would be so lovely....

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
wombat
post Dec 17 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #43

Dragon Velocity

That's good.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Dec 17 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #44

new highs in personal lows daily!

i'm not worried. most of my up load music isn't on cd anyways. i have a lawyer friend who does a lot of civil liberties cases, and i think because we are talking about vinyl transfers, i think there is a case to be made that this is not much different than making a tape for someone since the inital recording is less than digitally pristine. besides,

there are kazillions of blogs offering downloads of songs way less obscure than mine...

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
wombat
post Dec 17 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #45

Dragon Velocity

well, maybe you shouldn't, girltrouble. Being just one person running a site -- they could sue you so you don't have a life any more. People only get away with doing it anonymously or giving a few of their own songs away to get an audience.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Dec 16 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #46

ok, so i get to eat crow... i can't seem to upload my songs, so.... i dunno best laid plans... i'll post here when i do get them up... sorry...

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
wombat
post Dec 16 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #47

Dragon Velocity

I forgot the Kraftwerk collection!

We bought reissue of the Shangri-Las album and wish I got Ronettes. wow! I will check out your waxdj site!

I like early Chicago too!

OMG! We also have Chic!

You both have some stuff I don't have. This is why I think they should not be against MP3 swapping (or the cassettes we made!) because if you like music you will still buy a lot!

I hunted down a cheap copy of "Performance" movie soundtrack on vinyl -- people dont know how weird it is. It's the Stones with Jack Nietsche and Merry Clayton Thomas.

I would almost kill for early Ike and Tina Turner.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Dec 16 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #48

just to celebrate this thread, later this afternoon i'll put up "man-ha, man-ha" diana ross doing a cover of "come together",
lord sitar's "if i were a rich man" and a fantastic steel drum cover of santana's "oye-come va" and maybe a couple of other gems on my waxdj site.

i'll keep em up for download for the weekend....

um.... drool....?

wombat: the shangri-las? i LOVE the shangri-las. i could listen to remember (walking in the sand) for days... and jeannie reily is great... have you heard "satan place"? she kind of got me into that era of country, and my favorite singer song writer bobbie gentry (i adore bobbie gentry...oh!), and if you love the tiajuana brass, you will love the lord sitar @ my site. it's hilarious. sitars+ that tiajuana brass sound doing "if i was a rich man." it's a riot!

aural i would kill for some of those records... i've been dying for some thin lizzy, new york dolls, rare earth and otis redding is a god.

if you don't want your journey, i'll take it. and chicago is actually good if you listen to their early early stuff, it's actually good. saturday in the park? yes, please!

i love that story about glam rock. too funny! music i heard when i was a kid like mickey mouse's factory put me in a trance...

hey, of the albums that you have, have you heard these hidden gems (if you're asking me?)
    staples singers (you've got to earn it),
    isaac hayes (hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedaliymistic)
    marvin gaye(i want you/after the dance)
    curtis mayfield (kung fu-- this is an easy one-- you can hear it at my site)
    roberta flack(reverend lee, sister jones)
    bill withers (sweet naomi, better off dead)
    gladys knight+pips (cover of bill wither's who is she and what is she to you?)
    average white band (school boy crush)
    jackson five (blue skies)
    commodores (slippery when wet, sebu, shotgun)
i am so jealous of your record collection! drool! the guiding rule for my collection-- so i wouldn't lose my shirt-- was that i never pay more than $5 for a record, but more often than not a thrift store find price of $1-2, if it was more than that, i had to be looking for it forever (barbarella sound track, lord sitar's full album) or something i lost and loved (the atomic tom jones) or at an estate/garage sale.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post Dec 16 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #49

Dragon Velocity

Oh, lordy!! We've got all of PFunk, all the Doors, some Temps, no Tops, Clash, Bad Brains, mixed feelings about Fleetwood Mac, complete Bowie, Robert Johnson, all the T. Rex, all the Queen, Dead Boys, Pere Ubu, Tom Verlaine, Pattie Smith, all the Talking Heads. some Sweet, earl AC/DC all on vinyl.... the other day I played "Fat Bottom Girls" for the new generation. A classic..

boy.

and more.

too awesome.

Hah! Party at Aural's house! Party at Aural's house! The biggest balls of them all! That are always swinging to the left and to the right!

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Dec 16 2006, 05:52 AM
Post #50

Big Fat Bitch

Oh you know you're gettiing laid at my place if I bust out a Roxy Music record.

Things I inherited when my dad died & all are an artists original issue, full repertoire (Unless a lot of it sucks like Rod Stewart!):
Zepplin, the Who, Jethro Tull, Aerosmith, Queen, Mott the Hoople, Thin Lizzy, the Kinks, Blondie, Talking Heads, Jimmy Cliff, Bob Marley, Santana, Marc Bolan & T.Rex, Lynard Skynard, CSNY, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Parliament Funkadelic, Deep Purple, Warren Zevon, J Geils, Stooges, Tod Rundgren, New York Dolls, Montrose, ZZTop, the Cure, the Stones, Robin Trower, Edgar Winter, Supertramp, BOC, Three Dog Night, America, Staples Singers, Isaac Hayes, DEVO, Traffic, Mountain, Big Star, the Nuge, Joe Tex, ELO, the Cars, KISS, Springsteen, Marvin Gaye, Bad Company, Foghat, Molly Hatchet, Commodores, Clapton, Earth, Wind & Fire, Alice Cooper, Janis Joplin, Curtis Mayfield, the soundtrack to Carwash, Al Green, Elton John, Steely Dan, Patsy Cline, Sabbath/Ozzy, Tom Petty, Joan Jett, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, the Atlanta Rhythm Section, AC/DC, Stevie Wonder, the GOOD Rod Stewart, Heart, Roberta Flack, the Stylistics, Sly Stone, CCR, Rare Earth, Jackson Five, the Temps, the Tops, Bill Withers, Grover Washington Jr, the Sweet, WAR, the Average White Band, Shocking Blue, the Knack, the Clash, the Police, Gladys Knight/Pips, the Chi-Lites, Faces, the Small Faces, Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa, the Doors, Allman Brothers, Cheap Trick, etc. I've got the late sixties through the mid eighties covered when they switched to CDs. I suppose the diamond of things is a two record set of Otis Redding that my dad saved up for weeks for when he was a kid.

Things I have that I don't like: Kansas, Fleetwood Mac, Buckingham Nicks, Stevie Nicks, Foreigner, Carly Simon, Jackson Brown, Bob Seger, Linda Ronstadt, Simon & Garfunkle, Paul Simon, Jim Croce, Journey, Styx, Doobie Brothers, Chicago.

Don't even get me started on the eighties, my blues collection or my own buys!

Music was an integral part of my childhood. My parents used to put me to sleep with glam rock. I had a particular love for Slade, I dunno why. They used the Doors to coax me out of my room. I got my first record player from my grandma for my third birthday. A blue denim number. It came with Disney records & books. I still love Peter & the Wolf to this very day. The Tigger song, too. My mom hates Snow White because of me! I loved the Steve Miller Band (I was FOUR, sue me!) & my Disco Duck record. Every time we went to the local pre-Walmart store, I got to pick out a few new 7". I played 10cc's I'm Not in Love for weeks. Badfinger's Day After Day, too. Later I got the Smurfs & Pac Man Fever. I still have that record player & it still has the pennies my dad taped to the arm.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
wombat
post Dec 16 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #51

Dragon Velocity

Ohmigod.

I'm BRAGGING!!

I have: from my parents: all on ORIGINAL VINYL RELEASE!

Roy Orbison
Roger Miller
Johnny Cash
Herb Alpert and the Tiajuana Brass!! Me and my sister would come out and dance wearing crinolines that looked like spanish girl skirts!!

the Chipmunks Christmas album

and OOOOOHHHHH Anna K! The "racy" Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gormé records!

and Harper Valley PTA by Jenny Riley and These Boots are Made for Walkin' by Nancy Sinatra.

My dad was into "Spanish Eyes' by Perry Como and we would play that on the Juke box at the pizza place or at the rod and gun club where we shot pool!!

And -- Elvira by the Oak Ridge Boys!

And I had my sister's Tommy James and the Shondells -- still have them on Roulette 45 -- the original Redbird records version of "Give Him a Great Big Kiss" by the Shangri-Las.

Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced" All the original Led Zeppelin and Alice Cooper.

etc.

OH, Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed, 12 x 5, Out of Our Heads, and Exile on Main Street.

Aerosmith Get Your Wings, and the First one

All of early Bob Dylan through Blonde on Blonde, Electic Ladyland Jimi Hendrix, all of the early Velvet Underground and Lou Reed.

All of Iggy and the Stooges.

Mott the Hoople, the Undertones, the Lyres, Gang of Four, Magazine, Black Flag, Stiff Little Fingers, X, Patti Smith,

the Flex Your Head and Decline of Western Civilization and Repo Man

Pink Flag, Chairs Missing and Snake Drill by Wire

Orchestral Maneovers

Polyrock

All five first five Roxy music records on Vinyl AND CD

the first four Eno "song" albums.

Um-- Neil Young "Harvest"

All of the KINKS

LKJ and Bob Marley

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five! the Sugarhill Gang and Kurtis Blow!

Sparks!

Freaking -- Arlo Guthrie, Hank Williams

and Seventies lesbian folk singers Lavendar Jane Loves Women, Betsy Rose and Kathy Winter, and Libana.

Sweet Honey in the Rock, Toshi Reagon.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
anna k
post Dec 16 2006, 01:06 AM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

My dad had an old record player, and gave it to my sister, who played a lot of punk rock on it. When she got tired of them, I took them, and added stuff like Mabel Mercer and Billie Holiday and my grandpa's swing records. Now my brother has the record player, and is a huge collector. The only record I saved was Hole's Retard Girl:

IPB Image

It features 1990 classics like "Johnnies in the Bathroom" and "Phonebill Song." I liked the old scratchyness of it and the raw, messy quality of the songs.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Dec 16 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #53

i can certainly understand records having a lot to do with childhood memories. i started because my mom was getting rid of hers, and while she never had the biggest collection, the record she did have mean an awful lot to me. it's how i got into roberta flack and diana ross, donnie hathaway. my sisters records played a part too. last week i was really getting into rick james' album, "stone city band" and while everybody else remembers mary jane, or, if you know soul, you and i, but the songs that really bring me back are "sexy lady" and "dream maker" which lead me to rediscover tina marie.

the cool thing is the places the music takes you. i love hunting down songs that i just remember like steely dan's "peg", david bowie's "fame" switch's "i call your name" or the blackbyrds' "rock creek park" just for cause. or even better was player's "baby come back", which was such a guilty pleasure, that i never played it in my dj sets, and then going over to a friend's party where a couple of us record addicts always dj and my friend threw it on, and we all talked about how much we loved that song, and 3 out of the 4 vinyl addicts had it in our collection. i was amazed. but we all remember hearing it as a kids and connecting with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Dec 15 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #54

brown delicious

i did check out your website girltrouble. once i'm done with this internship thingy, i will have more time to devote to all of these programs. awesome.

i actually inherited my father's record collection. he was telling me how he had some albums appraised and how he could get $200 for an album. it hit me. he's gonna sell his albums. my response, "why are you gonna sell 'em?" his response, "you want them?" "yes!" i know alot of it has to do with my favorite childhood memories with my father include him playing music for me. my father's alive by the way...we're just estranged. i realized the last paragraph makes him sound like he's dead. blink.gif

i remember i briefly dated a guy who was an avid record collector with a great collection. i think that is why i really like him. *giggles* i mean, he did buy me a record player for christmas. i got something out of it.

i haven't shopped for vinyl on my own yet. i'm looking forward to it though. AP and girltrouble...it is cool to hear your varied tastes in music.

last lps i listened to are led zepplin's houses of the holy, something loungey that i can't remember the name of, michael jackson's thriller

weirdest find...well, i haven't searched for this lp...but, i would love to find this lp my uncle had when we were kids...it was an lp with all of these "space" songs...elton john's rocket man, david bowie's space oddity (excuse me, ziggy stardust)...i just remember the album cover being cool....

weirdest song...i have to think about this one...

you know, there is alot about music i don't know about...i like to get turned on to new music...i guess i'm really sensitive to how it is brought to my attention...i like it when people can articulate what they like or love about certain music...i mean, i gotta be seduced people...i'm not that easy!! tongue.gif of course, there is some music that i just listen to and i like it. that easy. there's that word again!

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Dec 15 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #55

Big Fat Bitch

Thanks! You're no slouch yourself! I have a few greedy DJ friends that are always trying to get their slimy hands on my wax, but I gots to say the nay-no. I'll not risk destruction/desecration.

Best garage sale ever! Muy treasures. You should have seen my poker face! I didn't want to rip them off, but they had no idea what they had. I started idly flipping through the records & nearly shat myself. I started pulling things out to buy, but eventually decided that it would be easier to toss the things I didn't like. I kept the tiki records, the easy listening, some Ray Charles, & a buttload of comedy records. Roger Miller, some *blue* Redd Foxx, & my personal favourite, the Bill Cosby one with the "Chicken Heart That Ate New York."

There was all kinds of cool late fifties early sixties stuff, not just music. I got a vintage shadow plaid smoking jacket with satin lapels/cuffs, barware, & tchotchkes.

Ever buy the collector type records? One offs, European prints, picture discs? I have a beloved David Bowie picture disc from about ten years ago that's really cool. I used to be really avid until I had to move & haul the bins around. That shit is heavy, yo!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Dec 15 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #56

OMG! you have some great stuff. i would kill for esquivel.

and i love the cowsills-- not so much for the music, but just that their story was sooooo fucked up....as for crazy religious familys i have this great rock-opera osmonds record about the apocolypse. hilarous!

as for vampyros lesbos, i have a re-issue copy of it. it's awesome!
i have been hunting for a spanish movie called Torremolinos 73. it's a newer movie (2003) but it has a similar soundtrack....

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Dec 15 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #57

Big Fat Bitch

Last few listens:

Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks
Ramones - various
Smiths - Meat Is Murder

Best find:
A *HUGE* stack of mood music with everybody from Martin Denny, Esquivel, Jackie Gleason, etc. For five bucks about five years before the whole space age bachelor pad music thing was hip. A copy of Sargeant Peppers in mint shape with the insert with the moustache & badge intact inside. A 7" of the Doors Hello I Love You. Oh, & an original copy of Nancy & Lee.

Weirdest LP Song:
The Cowsills - John the Baptist. Most people associate the Cowsills with hair & as being the basis for the Partridge family, but they were crazy religious. The chorus is all about, "Six is the nunber, six is the number of a maaaaaaan," & there's a weird sort of sermon of sorts in the middle.

Weirdest 7" song:
The Crusher. I can't remember who it was by, some obscure stomp rock 60s band. It's a dance song dedicated to their local fave wrestler. It's sung like the guy is constipated with lots of grunts & groans. They offer such dance moves as "the hammerlock." Like, "Do the hammerlock, ungh! Do the hammerlock, UUUUNNNNGGGGHHHH!"

Favourite record cover:
The Many Facets of Roger

Have you ever heard the soundtrack to Vampyros Lesbos? QT used "The Lions & The Cucumber" on the soundtrack to Pulp Fiction. Sexadelic Dance Party it's called. Worth tracking down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Dec 15 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #58

hopefully this thread is about finding, sharing music, and what you love about it. there is a thread about new music here: new bands

i'd like this thread to be about encouraging busties to listen to explore music differently-- in an old school kind of way.

about exploring thrift store finds, LPs your parents had, records you find yard sailing, or at a record store, and sharing it.

that said, i have to up everybody on waxdj.com, which is a place you can upload and share your records. super easy, and free. they just opened their free membership again, so sign up now. it's FREE and easy. and a good way to share some of the music you find.
here is my site so you can see what it's about:
waxdj.com/lady_schick

also you can download audacity, which is also FREE (audacity.sourceforge.net), which, with a cord from radioshack will let you convert lps from your turntable into mp3s. (warning the mac version is not very stable.)

hopefully, we can have a gang of busties recording and sharing some amazing goofy music and we can explore different themes, genres, artists and covers.

there are a lot of great records out there. it'd be cool to hear what vinyl other people buy...

that said the last few lp's ive listened to are:
    devo~ freedom of choice
    lou rawls~you've made me so very happy
    liberace~here's liberace.
    tom jones~help yourself

my favorite new/old discovery is "los tres sudamericanos" the three south americans... it's fantastic 60's/70's pop in spanish. pop is so much fun in other languages. i am thinking about uploading some "international pop" i have a couple of things, but i think it might be funner to do some weird movie music. i have barbarella, manah manah, and some and two fantastic covers of the odd couple. the newest one sounds more like it's a james bond theme.

anyways, to start this off, we need a couple of questions:

what are the last few lp's you've listened to,

and what is your best find?

what is the weirdest song you found on one of your lps?

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 1, 2014 - 01:44 AM