The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't U 4get About Me..it's The '80's Again, step back into the future and talk about what was
girl_logic
post May 17 2009, 11:48 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Where are they now? The Facts of Life cast members then & now

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Oct 23 2008, 08:10 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Ok I had an old military jacket! My dad gave it to me when I was young and I wore it constantly. I loved it because it was warm and I thought I looked cool. And OS that is hilarious!!!

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Oct 11 2008, 08:09 AM
Post #3

it's cards on the table time

QUOTE(octobersky @ Oct 9 2008, 04:21 PM) *
as a result I ended up looking like a derranged third world dictator but thinking I looked FAB!

laugh.gif laugh.gif That's hilarious.

I had a secondhand army jacket (in retrospect, I'm trying to work out its origins: it was quite small but didn't seem cut for a woman) which I wore to death. I had that thing for five years and only reluctantly got rid of it because I could never get it cleaned properly, which considering how often I wore it out was probably pretty disgusting. I loved that jacket.

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Oct 9 2008, 10:21 AM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Speaking of Star Wars and adult reflection ellenevenstar that reminds me of my friend N and I. When we were little we were obsessed with Star Wars - she had a crush on Luke and I on Han, funny thing is that completely and totally sums up our differing personalities :-)

Dunno if this belongs in the CoF thread or here, since it's 80's related I'm putting it here:

Here's a crime of fashion I am totally willing to admit: back in the 80's I was REALLY into Duran Duran (side note I'm going to see them in December - squee!) If anyone remembers they were quite the fashionable at the time and a lot of their female fans copped their style. I once conned my mom into making me this long (mid-thigh) red watch plaid shirt that I wore belted over black skinny pants with slouch boots and a beret - all because I saw John Taylor wear something very similar when his side band PowerStation played on Saturday Night Live. *Cringe* I believe I was about 12, maybe 13....I seriously thought I was the sh*t.
For a brief time in the early 80's I was really into military style jackets and such - think Adam and the Ants or Sgt. Pepper as a result I ended up looking like a derranged third world dictator but thinking I looked FAB!

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Oct 3 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

I had skates but cannot remember what they looked like! We went to the roller rink every once in a while but mainly it was skating outside or downstairs in the basement. Trying to do cool tricks like skate backwards without running into the poles!

I also loved He-Man and She-Ra. I always thought they should be together until I found out they were cousins. That just made it messed up once I found that info out!

+Quote Post
ellenevenstar
post Oct 3 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

My skates were white and pink. So girly. Our local skating rink was called B-Gs and it was like a roller disco every weekend... and my fiancee's cousins were on the TV ad for it! hahahaha

I was thinking today about this R2-D2 toothbrush I had when I was about 7. I have always liked R2-D2 the best of all the Star Wars characters and upon adult reflection I think it's because I identify with his role and personality. Always kind of there, doing the right thing despite a bit of cynicism, bailing people out.. but a bit forgotten. Anyway, this toothbrush was nothing fancy - just dark blue with a picture of R2 on the handle. God, I loved it. I wish I still had it.

+Quote Post
zoya
post Oct 2 2008, 07:52 AM
Post #7

uh huh.

I had skates that looked like adidas low-top superstars, sort of a royal blue with yellow stripes, yellow laces, wheels, and toe stop. I still had them until about 5 years ago, when in a moment of madness, I gave them to goodwill. ARGH!!

+Quote Post
period_monster
post Oct 2 2008, 06:50 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

i grew up in a town too small for a roller rink, but we had the best driveway. the hours my sister and i spent out there with the huge speakers from our parents' record player sitting in the window... such good times. olivia newton john was a particular fave of ours, and of coure the grease soundtrack.

white with pink wheels and laces...

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Oct 2 2008, 05:35 AM
Post #9

it's cards on the table time

Mine were white with purple wheels too. I was nuts about purple then, hate it now.

Roller rinks were the best place to meet boys!

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Oct 1 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #10

beachcomber

ok - my high school boyfriend just posted our Prom picture ('89) on my facebook..

if you wanna see it, let me know. cool.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
llamas
post Oct 1 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Heh. My skates were white with purple wheels and laces, and I still have them. Just in case, y'know. wink.gif

+Quote Post
kari
post Oct 1 2008, 08:41 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

OMG, we used to roller skate in our driveways all the time! We did the limbo, made up dances, etc. White skates were about the coolest thing going 'round that time.

Freckle, your mention of the pom poms on your skates reminded me that we used to incorporate actual pom poms into our skate dances.

Rubberdollz...yes! White rain! And Mink! And was it Salon Secrets?

What about Coca cola shirts....

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Sep 30 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #13

beachcomber

mine were white w/ orange & I had huge fluffy orange pom's on there (orange was the local hs colors) and they used to play whatever that song was 'another one bites the dust' and I Swear it made everyone skate faster & then one by one you'd watch usually the little kids wipe out on the beat. it was too hysterical.

when I am behind a pokey joe at a light change I often say ' let's Allll Skate- EveryBody Skate "

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 30 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #14

Big Fat Bitch

Mine were white with pale blue wheels/laces & a white & blue puff on the toe!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Sep 30 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh gag, I remember that creme deoderant! My mom bought for me once and I loathed it. Didn't work at all.

Thirties/Iamjan: that song list reminded me of roller skating back in the day. "Gloria, I think they got your number! I think they got your alias!"
Ahh how I loved that - I had these really cool white skates with bright blue stripes on the sides and marblelized blue/white wheels and toe stops. I adored skating on Saturday afternoons. The rink had a DJ and they would have races, couples skate, ladies choice etc. They always played Rio, Billie Jean, Centerfold, Let's Go Crazy, memories *sigh*

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 30 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #16

Big Fat Bitch

I was shopping at the walgreens on Saturday & my friend was going through their bargain bin. she actually tossed out a tub of Tussy creme as she was digging through. I started cracking up right there in the aisle. she looked at me like I was bonkers.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Sep 22 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(i_am_jan @ Sep 22 2008, 08:30 AM) *
Man I love reading the posts in this thread.

Ya'll remember the 80's LADY? The Power Suit gal with (of course) the big shoulder pads and fancy hat with black fishnet coming down over the eyes? Think of the following tunes and it should all come flooding back:

"She Works Hard for the Money"
"Gloria" (the LAURA BRANIGAN version)
"New Attitude"
anything by Melissa Manchester

they had me and friends listening to and loving this crap in MIDDLE SCHOOL?! tongue.gif

Yes! I am so there with you. I wasn't into that look in high school, but I LOVED Working Girl when I went to see it in the movie theater (late '80s, I know, but still the '80s). I was just starting college and I easily got sucked into that ideal of the working girl, living in a cool apartment, making her own money and having corporate adventures. I couldn't wait to join the workforce...at least, until I actually did and started working retail. My big ideas got put on hold while I worked 32 hours a week to put myself through college. ...Anyway, I think those ladies you mentioned perfectly epitomized that working girl ideal and even though I wouldn't have admitted it at the time, I kinda dug their moxie.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Sep 22 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Man I love reading the posts in this thread.

Ya'll remember the 80's LADY? The Power Suit gal with (of course) the big shoulder pads and fancy hat with black fishnet coming down over the eyes? Think of the following tunes and it should all come flooding back:

"She Works Hard for the Money"
"Gloria" (the LAURA BRANIGAN version)
"New Attitude"
anything by Melissa Manchester

they had me and friends listening to and loving this crap in MIDDLE SCHOOL?! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 22 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #19

Big Fat Bitch

Andrew McCarthy. I don't get it, never have. All pale & pasty, barely a seam of a mouth. Blech.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Sep 21 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Ok the only thing I hated about Andrew McCarthy in PIP is his hair at the end! Why the f* did they style it like that for the dance??? It looked like a weird wig or someone just didn't know what they were doing. I always felt bad for him at the end because he looked weird.

Blaine... hehehe.... he was such a dick.

I remember wearing wet n' wild nail polish.

In elementary school I went through this fluorescent sock thing. I would wear these nylon socks that were fluorescent but I would put 2 different colors on. So picture this.... I would have pink on first and then put on a lime green sock over it and then fold the pink over, then I would wear these little silver dress shoes. So you would see the green coming from the top of my foot but then see the pink folded over. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they also had black lace around the trim!!! I was fabulous! hahaha... I loved fluorescent when I was younger, I also had this bright yellow/greenish winter coat. It was so bright people would ask me if I had batteries in it (which was stupid).

I used to use White Rain hairspray to keep the old bangs from moving. It was sick. A friend of mine had THE WALL, did anyone else do this? Her bangs were flat and high!

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 22, 2014 - 12:04 PM