The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vinyl Voyager..the Record /lp/ Music Discovery Thread...
raisingirl
post Dec 21 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #1

PANTIES! ew.

Ooh, thanks for the reminder, Torch. Q-Tip definitely hasn't lost his touch! wink.gif I'm gonna watch that video another few times.

Speaking of Q-Tip, I never knew there was a video for the Chemical Brothers's "Galvanize" (maybe it's unofficial?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APqm36XTqKE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Torch
post Dec 21 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #2

BUSTie

Finally he was allowed to drop a solo again. I think he has two shelved by previous labels. It sound like a breath of fresh air though compared to this current wack rap music on radio.

Gettin Up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcL3_GKS0wg

One of the best hiphop releases this year, don't sleep!

--------------------
I'm silently hating on you! - Check out my Podcast - http://torch.podomatic.com/

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Dec 17 2008, 05:56 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

that Q-tip album is definately on my list

+Quote Post
Torch
post Dec 17 2008, 07:18 AM
Post #4

BUSTie

Hello all, I'm new to the thread and mostly lurk around this site. Just wanted to come out and play a little awhile today. The latest album I've bought is the new Q-Tip album. Very, very good and quality Hiphop album.

--------------------
I'm silently hating on you! - Check out my Podcast - http://torch.podomatic.com/

+Quote Post
Melanielouise
post Dec 8 2008, 09:18 AM
Post #5

BUSTie

Same here, thirtiesgirl. Jenny Lewis was one of the last times I spent money on an album, I have really enjoyed it. Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis and Lou Cowell's I... Um... were the 2 itunes spendings last month and this month seems I am buying other people itunes gift cards for Christmas. (In hopes of receiving some myself I am creating a cheeky list smile.gif)

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Nov 22 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(ihateoly @ Nov 22 2008, 12:13 PM) *
Hey, thirties! April March is awesome. Have you heard the record April March Sings The Makers? It's The Maker's backing April March singing their songs and she totally should have been their new singer. She does a better job than he ever did and I actually like The Makers.

Haven't heard that one yet mostly because I'm having to limit my spending on music at the moment. But that's next on my list to buy, along with Jenny Lewis' new solo cd, as soon as I get some spending money again. I probably shouldn't have bought the new Mercury Rev last week, but I just can't pass them up. I've been in lust with Rev frontman Jonathan Donohoe for ages. He's like a young Pete Townsend, only better looking.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Nov 22 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

On the back of the Miles Davis album is this :
" This Columbia High Fidelity recording is scientfically designed to play with the highest quality of reproduction on the phonograph of your choice new or old. If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true to life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future".

there is nothing like the sound of vinyl. nothing at all .

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Nov 22 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

my mom just gave me permission to ransack her record collection . here's what I came home with.:

Johnny Mathis Greatest HIts ,
Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass Whipped cream and other Delights ,
Gene Ammons Boss Tenor,
ARt Blakey and the jazz messengers Soul finger ( this album features a book in side of photos )
Nina Simone in concert,
Ahmad jamal Trio at the pershing ,
The soundtrack to the movie Black Orpheus,

and the best is the original Columbia records release of Miles Davis Kind of Blue.

Mom has excellent taste in music.

+Quote Post
ihateoly
post Nov 22 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey, thirties! April March is awesome. Have you heard the record April March Sings The Makers? It's The Maker's backing April March singing their songs and she totally should have been their new singer. She does a better job than he ever did and I actually like The Makers.

--------------------
"Let's go dancing in high heels!"-Liz Lemmon

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Nov 22 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(girltrouble @ Nov 20 2008, 09:07 PM) *
lately i've been surfing for international pop and found some great stuff. the newest is a sub genre called "ye-ye" which is a kind of 60's now sound composed of girl groups.

I enjoy some ye-ye, and would recommend April March (this is a link to her myspace page), an American girl who sings in English and French, with French pronunciation so flawless, the French have adopted her as their own. She's also an animator (known most for her work on Ren & Stimpy), and married to Warren Zanes, the former Vice President of Education for the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. Musically, she's probably best known for her track Chick Habit (video remix with clips from Russ Meyer's Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill). Quentin Tarantino featured the song prominently in his movie Death Proof, although April recorded it long before that. She's put out several great albums since then, some more electronic than others. Favorite tracks include the acoustic Cet air-la, and Mignonette (very ye-ye).

Another recommendation is France Gall, a true ye-ye French pop singer from the '60s. Here's her original version (in French) of Chick Habit, and her version of Poupée de cire poupée de son (sorry about the bad lip synching).

On a completely different note (no pun intended), lately I've been listening to Mercury Rev's new album "Snowflake Midnight" (which comes with a free instrumental companion album, "Strange Attractor"). You can see some video clips and live performances (none of them from the new album yet) here. I love these guys.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
ihateoly
post Nov 21 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Girltrouble, you like the same kind of things I like! That's amazing! Yay! Devo's Freedom Of Choice is one of my favorite albums ever. (If I were ever in a rock band I would have to cover "Gates of Steel"). I have recently discovered ye-ye as well and think it is most fabulous. I have been listening to a lot of Frech pop lately, mostly Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot., so I have to check out the Belinda Carlisle covers! I recently found an obscure-ish track from the 50's that is sooo very kitschy and wonderful by the Teen Queens called "You Good Boy, You Get Cookie". It totally belongs in a John Waters movie. I have also been really digging 60's brazillian pop and have been listening to Sergio Mendes on my record player. Oh! And I always loooove old blues! I have Howlin' Wolfe and John Lee Hooker in heavy rotation at all times. Americana is always popular in our house and the older, darker and creepier the better. The husband and I both can't get enough Leadbelly. Yay! I am so glad I found this thread because it is so awesome!

--------------------
"Let's go dancing in high heels!"-Liz Lemmon

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Nov 21 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #12

new highs in personal lows daily!

aw, thanks riot!

i just love music.

i should have been posting in here more. i should have told you about the best music search engine out there-- hushie. but well it got closed down thanks to the nazis at riaa suing them. hmph. hushie was dreamy. now it's gone. there are some other ones, but hushie was like the mp3 search engine that your friend made just for you. i'll miss it. now i check every mp3 s.e. by seeing if it can find songs by josie and the pussycats songs from the 70's, or rare bobbie gentry.

lately i've been surfing for international pop and found some great stuff. the newest is a sub genre called "ye-ye" which is a kind of 60's now sound composed of girl groups.

the french are always good, of course, and speaking of which, check out ex-go-go front lady belinda carlisle's album voila! it's a bunch of french covers. bonnie and clyde is good, but i am in love with her version of contact! which is so much better than the original.

and while i am talking about girl groups, in the words of the shangri-las (and quoted by the new york dolls), i am in LOVE, L-U-V..... with the pussycats. not of the cartoon. just the pussycats. no josie. they are right up there with the shangris in my book. favorite song: the rider

and if you haven't heard of the peanuts, check them out too. they were the two girls who sang to mothra in the japanese monster movies. they had a singing career, and they were brilliant!

i tried to up load some songs to my dj page on tues, but the website did not like it, so it did not work.

it's a pity. i had some pretty awesome stuff that's pretty rare. i've been recording some of the music i play in some of the dj sets i used to do. i'll p.robably find some other site and link the music here... when i get around here.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
riotgrrrl
post Nov 20 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(girltrouble @ Dec 15 2006, 03:57 PM) *
hopefully this thread is about finding, sharing music, and what you love about it. there is a thread about new music here: new bands

that said the last few lp's ive listened to are:
    devo~ freedom of choice
    lou rawls~you've made me so very happy
    liberace~here's liberace.
    tom jones~help yourself
my favorite new/old discovery is "los tres sudamericanos" the three south americans... it's fantastic 60's/70's pop in spanish. pop is so much fun in other languages. i am thinking about uploading some "international pop" i have a couple of things, but i think it might be funner to do some weird movie music. i have barbarella, manah manah, and some and two fantastic covers of the odd couple. the newest one sounds more like it's a james bond theme.

I saw this old thread and just had to bump the original post. Girltrouble, you're so eclectic! What kind of person listens to Tom Jones, Liberace and Devo?! You're crazy.

I agree with you about "international pop," it's so cute! Those crazy foreigners are just adorrrable; I just love the way they sound (even though I don't understand any of it- LOL!)

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jul 14 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #14

*does a back flip that dolor is in the thread!*
i do so lurve me some dolor!
and i can't wait till i can hear that song, i'm crazy curious of what music you'd listen

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
dolor
post Jul 14 2008, 10:08 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

FINALLY heard the original of "Steal your heart Away" by Bobby Parker!! Is this the tune I've most been wanting to find, over the years? Could be. It turned up on You-tube (sp?), you listen while you watch the 45 spin. Better n' nuttin'.

The title is mis-read, so if you want to hear this, search for "Watch your Step" by BP. Killer 45!

Love those covers of Primtiva and Hawaiian Eys, G-T!!
Come join me beneath the waterfall... Huck honey...

--------------------
mostly to all over

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jul 12 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #16

well some of my music wouldn't load up, but i put a few new things up on my site:

wax dj:lady schick

just click on the music tab...

i'll try to put more later along with music info.

--------------------

+Quote Post
anna k
post Jul 11 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

I just got turned on to Margie Joseph, and I love her voice. She's an R&B singer who became known in the '70s, and her voice is rich and gorgeous and deep. What's Come Over Me is so beautiful and lovely and sad, and I found myself singing along, wanting to harmonize. She has an 80's dance-pop song called Midnight Lover that, while cliche as a remnant of the 80's, makes me smile and sing along, it's very catchy.

Jody Miller's voice doesn't match her looks. It looks like a funny combination.

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Jul 8 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

Oooo, GT, looks like you totally scored at the thrift store! I especially love Martin Denny and exotica. Les Baxter, Esquivel, etc. All that stuff ~ love it!

Last thing I purchased was Sigur Ros, Heim/Hvarf, the double cd with re-workings of some of their songs from their first album, Von (gotta love those 'mystical' Icelandic song titles) and other un-released stuff, plus a second cd of acoustic stuff. Haven't listened to it yet, but will get to it shortly. I kind of have to be in the mood for Sigur Ros. They're ethereal, majestic, chilling, spacey, etc, etc, but sometimes I find they lack a little substance in their songs. I'm not always into pretty without substance (apologies in advance to fans who may disagree w/ me), but sometimes it fits the bill.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jul 8 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #19

smart ass. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 8 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #20

Big Fat Bitch

I do try to make your day, dear.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 25, 2014 - 12:41 PM