The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

27 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sufferin' Suffragettes..., ...the voting thread...
konphusion26
post Oct 13 2008, 05:02 PM
Post #381

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(nohope @ Oct 13 2008, 04:33 PM) *
I can't believe that we think that electing a Christian is a good idea. I mean do we really want someone who believes in fairy tails having there finger near the button.

I mean i think we have had enough faith based governing during the last eight years. We don't need more decision making predicated on superstitions and wishful thinking.

What is wrong with electing a Christian?? George W. Bush is a horrible example of "faith based" governing honey! Christianity and GW Bush shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. He's a screw up on his own -just hiding behind his "faith". He is a snake, period.

I would "take this outside" but that is all I have to say. I have no interest in arguing the point whatsoever. Been there, done that. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents like everyone else.

--------------------
Faith is hoping for and believing in things you cannot see!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Oct 13 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #382

It's Calamity Jenn

I agree with you. But, at this point in time, I don't think the majority of Americans would want an atheist or agnostic as President. It's another hurdle for another time, I guess.
Can anyone shed a little light on this fellow who was with the PLO who threw a fundraiser for Obama? It doesn't seem to me that he'd be so frightful or dangerous if an American politician will associate with him, but the only thing I've been able to find is right-wing crap along the lines of "OBAMA AND PLO GUY, BAD!!!!1!!11! AAAAYMEN!"

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. — Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
nohope
post Oct 13 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #383

Hardcore BUSTie

I can't believe that we think that electing a Christian is a good idea. I mean do we really want someone who believes in fairy tails having there finger near the button.

I mean i think we have had enough faith based governing during the last eight years. We don't need more decision making predicated on superstitions and wishful thinking.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Oct 13 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #384

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I know, the whole thing is like, "he's not a terrorist *wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more*"

That video you posted, rose, the footage of the McCain supporters at the town hall meeting he did....gah, that woman who said she's afraid of Obama because she heard he's an *dun, dun, DUN* ARAB!- she looks like the Crazy Cat Lady from the Simpsons. You can tell McCain is just embarrassed of his own supporters, and realizing that he's painted himself into a corner.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Oct 13 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #385

Pacifism kicks ass!

What I don't understand is when those same people who claim that Obama is a Muslim then proceed to slam the Christian pastor from Obama's old church. How can Obama be Muslim and Christian? Don't they see how those two pieces of info are contradictory? And even if Obama were a Muslim, there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't mean that he hates America or that he's a terrorist or anything like that. But of course, the idea that you can be "a good American" and not be a Christian is above the heads of far too many people. Sigh.

Speaking of contradictions ...
The McCain ads about Ayers are now showing on TV in my state. How ridiculous. And that first link Anarch posted just showed the additional hypocrissy of the whole campaign. Looks like McCain is trying to speak out of both sides of his mouth ("I respect Obama and think he's a good man and you shouldn't be scared if he becomes president, but OMG!!1! TERRORIST!!!1!!1!!!!!"). Luckily, the negative campaigning is hurting them worse than ever. Polls show that Obama's lead just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Oct 13 2008, 10:34 AM
Post #386

It's Calamity Jenn

What's so sad, to me, is that so many people believe that rumor. I know of some otherwise intelligent, educated people who were circulating those e-mails calling his religious affiliation into question.

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. — Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Oct 13 2008, 07:53 AM
Post #387

They've pinpointed the source of the "Obama's a Muslim" rumor.

Oh yeah, he sounds credible. blink.gif

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Oct 13 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #388

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(girltrouble @ Oct 12 2008, 09:21 PM) *
anarch thank you so much for the margret and helen blog. super funny.

Yes, isn't Helen lovely!

McCain Volunteers Taught to Accuse Obama of Terrorism

Amy Goodman interview with Greg Palast about his new comic book co-written with Robert F Kennedy Jr Steal Back Your Vote: [PALAST:] How many new voters in America that have just signed up and all of those Obamaniacs realize that [according to the Help Americans Vote Act, HAVA] if you mail in your ballot on a first-time vote, almost every state requires you to also include a photocopy of your government ID? Obama is going to lose a million votes from absentee ballots which are mailed in without ID. It’s a new requirement. They don’t tell you that. In some cases, like Kentucky, you’ve got to serve—you have to notarize it. I mean, it’s completely out of control, the mass purging.

. . . don’t mail in your ballot. There’s just too many ways that they can throw it out: you didn’t have your ID, you didn’t have your—you know, you’re not—you’re on some type of purge list, you don’t know it.

Vote early. Today, right now in Ohio, what are you doing after this program? You’re voting. That’s what you’re doing. In Ohio, in Indiana, you can vote right now. In Florida, you can vote right now, in many states, because if you are on a purge list, Amy and Juan, then you have time to correct it, to scream.

We also have the 800 number from Election Protection, so that—bring this in with you, by the way, please. Don’t leave the voting booth. And then we say things like—that’s number four.

GREG PALAST: One, don’t mail in your ballot. Don’t go postal.

Second, vote early, vote now.

Three, register and register. What we mean by that is check your registration. We give you a place to go from our sponsor Voto Latino. We also have this in Spanish, Voto Latino.

AMY GOODMAN: You mean, you go online.

GREG PALAST: Go online to stealbackyourvote.org, and then you can check your registration and see if you’re valid, how you’re registered, because you better know how it’s spelled. You know, if you’re Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., you better have ID that says “Jr.” on it.

The fourth thing is vote unconditionally, not provisionally. Three million people were handed provisional ballots. Now, if you’re a white listener to this program, you may not know what a provisional ballot is. If you’re Hispanic or you’re black, you sure know what it is, because they gave out three million in almost all minority areas. Provisional ballots are what you get if there’s a dispute on your ballot or your ID. They challenge you. Some guy with a Blackberry from the Republican Party is challenging you. And I’m not being partisan. It’s just the Republicans that are doing this, challenging you. You get a provisional ballot, and then they throw it out. Don’t accept a provisional ballot. Demand adjudication. Go to stealbackyourvote.org for the steps on how you do it.

The fifth one is—I call it “occupy Ohio, invade Nevada.” What that means is you should be working, you should be working on Election Day. You should vote early now, and on Election Day help people get out the word, get out the comic book, get out—you know, get out the protection. You can’t win anymore by 51 percent. You’ve got to win by 56. I’m not an Obama supporter, but I do believe that every single vote should count.

Six, we call it date a voter. As our sponsor Jesse Jackson said, arrive with five. But, you know—and what we say is, like bowling and love, don’t vote alone. The reason is, you have to protect each other. And when you go in in a group, it’s a lot easier to have the courage to stand up to the vote thieves when they’re challenging you.

And then, of course, last one is, make the democracy demand, which is that if there is games with the vote, the election doesn’t end then on November 4th.

That thing about "don't mail your early ballot" - wonder what the Obama campaign would say to that? I just signed up to call Ohio voters about voting early, and according to the script you're supposed to encourage Obama supporters to vote early whether in person or by mail. I'll see if I can find out from the local office tomorrow.

And looking at Wikipedia re HAVA, "HAVA requires any voter who registers to vote by mail and has not previously voted in a Federal election show current and valid photo identification or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter. Voters who submit any of these forms of identification during registration are exempt" - not exactly what Palast says (he says that not including ID in the envelope with your registration = it'll be thrown out), but it's close enough that I can see massive throwing out of such registrations happening "by accident"...

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Oct 12 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #389

new highs in personal lows daily!

anarch thank you so much for the margret and helen blog. super funny.

you're dead on with the post from tom matzzie-- they've been at this little shtick of theirs for years. point the finger at the democrats while they use all the dirty shenanigans they can come up with. nevermind that it undermines and erodes our democracy in the long run, just give them a little taste of power....

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
anarch
post Oct 12 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #390

Hardcore BUSTie

Tom Matzzie at the Huff Post: First, the ACORN myth allows the Republicans to do more purging of the voter rolls . . . Second, in the event that campaigning, purging and intimidating voters doesn't work, the Right is creating a myth like they did in 1960. They are creating the myth of a stolen election. Conservatives plan to claim that ACORN and Barack Obama stole the election. Their hope is to steal the legitimacy of what is looking like a massive repudiation of Bush, conservatives and the Republican Party.

Wired blog: Florida Primary Recount Reveals Grave Voting Problems One Month Before Presidential Election

The non-partisan group Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) has just released its 2008 Congressional Report Card. Not surprisingly, the group gave John McCain a "D," while giving Barack Obama a "B."

Scathing political commentary by 82-year-old Helen Philpot. Recent posts:
"Sarah Palin is a Bitch," ""Yep. I called her a bitch and I am not taking it back.", "Maverick my ass!" and "BUSH-shit!"

+Quote Post
Divala
post Oct 12 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #391

Hardcore BUSTie

I've gotta say, I'm embarassed that people like those at the McCain rally live in my state. In fact, I feel embarassed for them. I guess they only watch Fox News. I know a guy who gets most of his info from them, and he's the same way.

Is everyone else seeing a lot of adds about the Employee Free Choice Act regarding private votes? I'm trying to find some stuff to debunk what they say, but it's not mentioned anywhere I've looked. I find this all very difficult to believe.

It's sad that ACORN is being put through this. The real problem in this country isn't people voting more than once, it's that they're being purged from the rolls for no reason with no recourse. It's voter disenfranchisement that's the problem, not a voter voting twice.

--------------------
"After all those hours of concentrated effort, I come home pure as the driven snow." -Gidget

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Oct 11 2008, 08:25 AM
Post #392

it's cards on the table time

GT, thanks so much for posting the links and info about purging voter rolls; I had no idea. Bloody republicans will stop at nothing... except actually developing workable, equitable policies of course.

I vote absentee so I have to request my ballot each election. My state confirmed it's in the post this week!

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Oct 10 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #393

Pacifism kicks ass!

I just found a link to an interesting article through Jezebel. Looks like McCain was booed at his own town hall meeting today. There's some very interesting video footage with the article. Definitely check it out: "McCain Faces Backlash Over Rabid Crowds"

I found that top video to be especially enlightening (Here's a direct link to the video). It reveals a brief glimpse of the person I though John McCain was a year ago. Granted, I think he could have done a better job of clearing up the misinformed in his audience (He should have flat-out stated that that woman was wrong & that Obama is not an Arab and that even if he were of Arab decent, there's nothing wrong with that). However, he finally attempted to show a bit of class. Good for him. Perhaps if he'd stayed classy instead of going the snarky route in recent months, then he might have a chance in this election. Instead, he's backed himself into a corner. He went too heavily on the offensive so that now when he tries to backpeddle out of it, he ends up offending his supporters, too. I don't envy him one bit, but he definitely deserves what he's getting.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Oct 10 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #394

just in from the irony department: a sign from a palin rally: "got a brain? vote mccain/palin"

ok--- this is the fucking deal.

the thing with ACORN? IT'S ALL BULLSHIT. every damn bit of it, is fucking misdirection.

you remember that DOJ scandal? the department of justice scandal where alberto gonzoles fired all of those attorneys got fired for not towing the GOP line? remember what they were being pushed to investigate?

yup. voter fraud.

guess who they were being pushed to investigate?

yup. ACORN.

now if you will remember, many of these state attorneys were told to investigate acorn, when many of them balked because there was no there there, they were fired.

from huff post article:
The raid to uncover alleged registration fraud was the result of a joint investigation by state agencies, the U.S. Attorney's Office, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. A similar task force, convened in New Mexico in 2004 to investigate "vote fraud" complaints lodged by high-ranking Republicans, found no evidence of illegality. According to an independent government report issued last week, the U.S. Attorney for New Mexico, David Iglesias, was later wrongfully fired by the Bush Administration for failing to prosecute the case despite the lack of evidence.

if you haven't been paying attention, you might not have noticed that this is an old republican trick-- say that there has been voter fraud all the while purging voter rolls.

this time is no different. according to the new york times, 33,000 people have been illegally removed from michigan voter rolls and 37,000 have been illegally purged from colorado. (the article explains why these deletions are illegal)

they didn't mention most of the other swing states, but in those two states it effectively reduces the huge advantage that obama has in voter registration.

so what can you do?
call your local officials and ask them about purges, and encourage your friends to do the same. this will put them on notice that they are being watched. this will make them much more cautious about doing something bad.

*sigh* i love randi rhodes. she gives me homework! smile.gif her show tonight was briiiiiiiliant. the best top to bottom look at the whole acorn thing. she is sooo good.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
faerietails
post Oct 10 2008, 04:53 PM
Post #395

donut-lovin' heathen

my friend posted this video on a myspace bulletin, and i don't even know how to respond.

he's soooooooo one of those "hillary lost so vote for mccain" people now, which makes my head spin.

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Oct 10 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #396

It's Calamity Jenn

Thanks for your post girltrouble, you put in some great links!
Now I'm hearing about how Obama is tied to a PLO activist. I'm still reading up on that, but I'm sure conservatives are making it into something it's not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Oct 10 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #397

a little election fun! every election 7/11 does their own poll by cup. you can go into any 7/11 and choose an obama cup or a mccain cup. it usually is skewed only slightly to the right, but check out this year's tally: 7-election.com

and a little teaser-- you can look at the results of 7/election can be viewed state by state, and right now texas is running 60/40 in favor of obama.

ETA:so it seems mccain is dropping ayers in favor of the ACORN thing (see below). in particular, they are trying to suppress the black vote, according to talk radio news. check out some of the articles on this site. scroll down and look at the left side for todays date.
Ohio voter suppression strikes again
Staff
Ohio Democratic Party Chairman Chris Redfern and Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman expressed concern about recent voter suppression activities occurring at local polling places in Greene County. Led by the former law partner of McCain Ohio Campaign Manager Mike DeWine, Republican officials in Greene County are staking out polling places and requiring names, addresses, and social security numbers of any Ohio voter who registered between Sept. 30 and Oct. 6. The chairman and mayor are both concerned with the targeting of African-American college students, some of whom are first-time voters, due to the two historically African-American colleges in Greene County. Redfern called the actions in Greene County a “textbook definition” of voter suppression, although there has been “no evidence of voter fraud whatsoever.” In response to this suppression, the men have alerted the national media in hopes of external support to allow people to vote in Greene County and to prevent a repeat of the similar circumstances that occurred in Ohio during the 2004 election.

rep. bernie sanders (who i is a terrific independent, but calls himself a socal democrat (!)), says that he is going to push for congress to meet for a lame duck session around november 12th to craft legislation before obama gets into office, so he can hit the ground running-- but more, if you want to push for universal healthcare, you can do that by calling your reps, and telling your friends to do the same. this is our window.

--------------------

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Oct 10 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #398

for any information (about voter rights, etc.) you can contact obama's campaign locally. where ever you live, they are a fantastic resource. call them. oh, and volunteer too, because the chances of one of us getting our vote taken away from us is pretty slim but some of the poorer or minority folks, well they have a greater chance, so they need your help.

mouse-- what i do know is that they are using the ACORN raids to smear obama, saying he is trying to jigger the vote. this is NOT TRUE. i heard one of the directors of acorn on the radio a few days back and he said that they are REQUIRED BY LAW to review all of the people canvasers sign up to vote (what's more they are paying these people), if they think that there are fake people on this list (famous names, bad addresses, etc) they MUST report them. what's more he said they have been working with state officials for the last couple of months.

this has got carl rove tactic written all over it.

rep. jesse jackson jr says, Attacks on ACORN Based Not on Facts, But on Fear of 1.3 Million Poor People Registering. article.

washington post article

here is acorn's statement.
and their home page shows all the states they register people in. if you hear people talking about ACORN it is crucial that you tell them the facts. this can be an excuse they use to steal the vote this year. the ACLU doesn't have anything about it on it's site, but it does talk about another pivotal issue with voter rights. many of those swing states (and ones that acorn canvases in) are doing voter roll purges-- which they are not supposed to do.

ACLU article

hey jsmith:
obama's own site is pretty good and constantly updated: fight the smears.com. but i wouldn't direct people there. rather use it for the info that you are seeking and rephase it in your own words. why not direct people there? it restates many of the rumors, reinforcing them. instead approach it like this article in the huff post--which you'll want to read first.

here is a good article from the nyt, that tracks down info on an afl/cio union pamphlet to debunk many of the rumors.

i'm assuming that most of the people in your area are probably working class, no shame in that-- i'm working class-- so you can direct them, or read the afl/cio union site yourself.

i think in this case, the best tact is to raise questions on what they "know." if they are using some of the phases that you are talking about they are suffering from dittohead overdose-- they are listening to republican talking points. so what you want to do is to play like you're one of them-- to a degree, the answers i propose below should not be taken as my pov, but rather the one that would be most salable to a dittohead. also, talk about how alienated you feel about some of those things that people have said at mccain/palin rallies, talk about how mccain seems to be trying to whip up the racism in those crowds. he hasn't been helping by having those people introduce him as "barack hussain obama." as if obama chose his middle name. that's just ugly.

Q:(to any question, you can start or end with the answer below, but keep coming back to it)
A:do the research. when you look into it, it seems like a distraction to me. if there's proof, get it out. it just bugs me that mccain doesn't really talk about the economy. that's what is important. we need jobs and god, obama's plan makes sense. and mccain said he doesn't know anything about economy. he said that. and his main guy, phil gramm helped deregulate the banks at that's what is at the heart of this, not fr

A: more:mccain's plan-- it's just like those rumors. he says "he knows how" he'll balance the budget but doesn't say how. no new taxes, and just freeze progams? there is so much interest on the trillions we owe, that the debt will continue to grow, he says he knows how to do all of these things, and i wish he did but he doesn't look into his stuff and read what the critics say and... his plan is just a mess.

A:even more:and look at his behavior. i watch some of those talking heads shows and one of the democrat's talking points is that mccain is erratic, but he is-- i mean have you been watching how he's been handling the economy? it's like he's got multiple personalities. he says one thing in the morning, another in the afternoon. or at the debates? obama's got facts and figures and mccain just wants to call me friend. he's got no plan. and don't get me started on palin. does anyone in their right mind think she can be president?

Q:did you know he's a terrorist?
A:i doubt that. i think it's just a rumor. no proof. do you remember the primary? if there was any dirt about obama being a terrorist, clinton would have had it published-- and mccain hasn't any proof either. if he did he'd do the same. he's got the same guys who found those swift boat veterans against kerry, and they haven't found anything.

Q:well the media is all a bunch of left wing nuts (or something similar).
A:sorry. i don't buy that either. GE owns NBC, and they make weapons. how left wing is that? these are big companies, and they want lower taxes-- why would they push a left wing line. that doesn't make any sense.

Q:what about that ayers guy?
A:what about him? obama was 8 when ayers did what he did, and was APPOINTED to a board that ayers was on. he had no say in the matter. there were republicans on those boards too. when you start to do the research on that, you realize, ayers, who is an education professor is kind of a power broker in chicago. if you want anything done in education wise in chicago, you have to talk to him. obama was a community organizer-- he needed to talk to him. what's more, if you know anything about the way boards work, you don't have any say about who is on the board. it's like taking a new job, do you have everyone you work with investigated before you take the job? no. even if you did, you need to get the job done to pay your bills, so you work with people you don't agree with.

Q:what about his crazy preacher?
A:yeah! but omg, have you seen the one that palin has? he got this mob to chase this poor woman out of a city in africa because he thought she was a witch who caused traffic accidents! that is crazy, and this is a guy who palin credits for her getting into office. they speak in tongues, and all kinds of weird stuff. at least obama's guy didn't do that. plus i kinda think you have to look at what obama's guy was saying in context. he was talking about a lot of the racial stuff in america, and i may not agree, but black people haven't had the easiest time in this country.

Q:well what about obama getting money from freddie/fannie?
A:you know what's funny about that? they make it sound like freddie and fannie as an organization gave obama money. they can't. a bunch of people who work at those places think that obama would make a good president. so they gave money. that's not illegal. what's more, one of the big guys in mccain's campaign was a lobbyist for f/f till a month or so ago. so mccain's hands aren't clean.

Q:more: but this bank problem is bigger than just f/f. this is about deregulation, and mccain's economic advisor was phil gramm, who had ties to enron failing, and he pushed the sort of legislation for banks that got us into this mess. don't forget that mccain was involved in the keating5, which was when we had to bail out savings and loans in the 80's. the savings and loan thing was a smaller version of what we see now, and mccain was smack dab in the middle of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Oct 10 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #399

I've already double and triple checked my registration. I'm still thinking of voting early- to be mentally "done" with it and to avoid any possible rethuglican shenanigans on Election Day. My polling place isn't close enough to walk to and I'm afraid they might create an "accident" to clog up the roads or something.

I hope the Chicago Tribune does what they did last year, where you could see all the offices and issues that were up for vote, down to all the judges and water reclamation commissioners, they give a little background info and you could make a list of who you liked to take into the booth with you. It was really helpful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Oct 10 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #400

Pacifism kicks ass!

Just a quick up-date on my last post...
I found out that thousands of voters have been stricken from the voter rolls in NC this year. Luckily, the board of elections has a website where you can check whether you're still on there & eligible to vote. I checked it & I'm okay. Personal crisis averted!

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 20, 2014 - 07:14 AM