Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

271 Pages V  « < 45 46 47 48 49 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
wannaBfree
post Jan 26 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #921

QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Jan 26 2009, 04:06 PM) *
Your so right! I guess Doctor's think finding a cure for more dire illness' are more paramount compared to vaginal infections. More research is being done on bacterial vaginosis. Research studies are decently expensive and very time consuming, which is why most of it isn't being done. Maybe if there was a Vaginal Health Organization set up maybe there would be more answers. After all, most women will experience at least one vaginal infection throughout their lifetime.
--I always heard it was bad to wear tampons when you have an active vaginal infection.

Yes, I have heard that too about tampons. I am trying to stay away from them. I am supposed to start the Nuvaring today and I am hesitating to put it in. I hope it's not going to be a nightmare for me. I just don't think frequent vaginal infections and putting something up there for 3 weeks at a time is going to work out for me. I guess I'll give it a shot. dry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 26 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #922

Oh yeah, I emailed Culturelle about their product containing Lactobacillius GG on whether it would help urogenital infections and this was the response:
"01/22/2009
On 01/21/2009 you wrote:
Is Culterelle good for urogenital health in women? Meaning preventing urinary
tract infections and yeast infections.

Dear Ms. Desruisseaux,

Thank you for your inquiry. Culturelle, containing Lactobacillus GG, is the most
clinically studied probiotic available. It will help regulate digestion, promote
proper absorption of nutrients, as well as strengthen the bodies defenses
against bad bacteria and allergens. Most find Culturelle very effective in
regard to urogenital health and infection prevention. The Lactobacillus GG is
good intestinal flora that will take over the space where bad bacteria and yeast
like to populate. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us
at 1-800-722-3476 .

Sincerely,

Angela
Consumer Resource Team
Amerifit Brands"

What do you think?

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 26 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #923

QUOTE(wannaBfree @ Jan 25 2009, 10:27 PM) *
Hello All,

As I sit here reading for hours (with my metrogel inserted), it saddens me to know that Dr's have figured out cures to many diseases, deadly diseases, but no one can figure out how to keep a healthy balance in the vagina? I feel like all these medicines do is mask the problem for a while and in most cases, it just comes back anyway.

I had a case of BV about 4 years ago - one and only one case. All of a sudden out of no where, December of 2007, I noticed a very pungent, almost sour odor when removing my tampon on the last day of my period. I went to the Dr. a month later because it wouldnt go away and I had a case of BV. He prescribed Vandazole. It masked the problem for a few months then again it was back. I have been trying to be very consistent with Acidophlus which does seem to help the odor. I notice the smell mostly a week before my period and right after it. Sometimes I have discharge, sometimes I dont. And this past weekend was the first time I smelled it after sex and was absolutely mortified sad.gif

Your so right! I guess Doctor's think finding a cure for more dire illness' are more paramount compared to vaginal infections. More research is being done on bacterial vaginosis. Research studies are decently expensive and very time consuming, which is why most of it isn't being done. Maybe if there was a Vaginal Health Organization set up maybe there would be more answers. After all, most women will experience at least one vaginal infection throughout their lifetime.
--I always heard it was bad to wear tampons when you have an active vaginal infection.

+Quote Post
wannaBfree
post Jan 25 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #924

QUOTE(Stone @ Jan 25 2009, 11:28 AM) *
The best place to order metronidazole (generic flagyl) to treat vaginal fishy odor & gray discharge of bacterial vaginosis (BV) is here: buy metronidazole!

I have been using them multiple times and have been very satisfied with excellent service and prompt (you can even get it overnight but 2-3 days is the best) delivery.

Hello All,

As I sit here reading for hours (with my metrogel inserted), it saddens me to know that Dr's have figured out cures to many diseases, deadly diseases, but no one can figure out how to keep a healthy balance in the vagina? I feel like all these medicines do is mask the problem for a while and in most cases, it just comes back anyway.

I had a case of BV about 4 years ago - one and only one case. All of a sudden out of no where, December of 2007, I noticed a very pungent, almost sour odor when removing my tampon on the last day of my period. I went to the Dr. a month later because it wouldnt go away and I had a case of BV. He prescribed Vandazole. It masked the problem for a few months then again it was back. I have been trying to be very consistent with Acidophlus which does seem to help the odor. I notice the smell mostly a week before my period and right after it. Sometimes I have discharge, sometimes I dont. And this past weekend was the first time I smelled it after sex and was absolutely mortified sad.gif

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Jan 24 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #925

BUSTie

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Jan 24 2009, 04:57 PM) *
Yeah for me BA is Balance Activ, not Boric Acid - should have clarified that. I've never tried Boric Acid, scares me a bit. And I don't think you can get in the UK (like so many bloddy things - I think there must be tighter regulations on chemicals and supplements here).

Lori - yeah, I did look into mfc10's tip-off about OMBE but there's nothing at all online about it.

Hi, Grace 08: I had a friend in Austria get it for me--it was available over-the-counter at pharmacies there. Perhaps if you go to an area pharmacy/chemist's and ask about it, they might know how to obtain it if they don't have it. I, too, tried to find something about it online a few days ago, and couldn't. I wonder if it's under a different tradename now? sad.gif

Maggie C.

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Jan 24 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #926

BUSTie

Yeah for me BA is Balance Activ, not Boric Acid - should have clarified that. I've never tried Boric Acid, scares me a bit. And I don't think you can get in the UK (like so many bloddy things - I think there must be tighter regulations on chemicals and supplements here).

Lori - yeah, I did look into mfc10's tip-off about OMBE but there's nothing at all online about it.

+Quote Post
neptune
post Jan 24 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #927

BUSTie

Ah yes. BA and BA. I'd forgotten about boric acid. Yep, I was talking about Balance Activ smile.gif

Good link thanks Lori.

+Quote Post
lori
post Jan 24 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #928

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(neptune @ Jan 23 2009, 01:12 PM) *
My bv responds to this antibiotic, but the problem just returns within a few days.

That's the case with ... probably most of us. I call it "the vicious cycle."

Read my blog post on why that happens:

http://allaboutbv.blogspot.com/2008/12/bv-vicious-cycle.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
lori
post Jan 24 2009, 04:57 AM
Post #929

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Jan 23 2009, 11:36 AM) *
What's really frustrating is that we can't get FemD here in the UK.

Grace,

Bustie mfc10 said:
Before FemDophilus was available in the US, I obtained it in Austria. It goes by the brand name OMBE. Perhaps it is also available in other European countries under that name?

Do you know if OMBE is available in the UK?

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Jan 23 2009, 11:36 AM) *
So yeah, I'll see how I go in the next week then maybe do a run of BA / inserting probiotics.

Let's just make clear that BA = Balance Activ, not Boric Acid. (Right? smile.gif ) Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 23 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #930

There's a study going on about a vaginal powder called (Lactin-V) "made of naturally occurring Lactobacilli that can prevent the occurrence of bacterial vaginosis (source) ." I read about it from the clinical trials website. If all goes well, this could be a whole new pharmaceutical drug that can help women with bacterial vaginosis.

+Quote Post
neptune
post Jan 23 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #931

BUSTie

dp

+Quote Post
neptune
post Jan 23 2009, 04:12 PM
Post #932

BUSTie

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Jan 23 2009, 07:36 PM) *
Yeah, I don't feel it's gone completely, so I bought another box today, which I'll use in a week or so. I thought about alternating using the BA one night and the next inserting live yoghurt + contents acidophilus caplet sprinked in. So one night I'm balancing the pH, the next I'm adding some friendly bacteria to this mix.

What's really frustrating is that we can't get FemD here in the UK. I've emailed Jarrow to ask if there's any way of ordering it or if plans to do so in the future, but they haven't replied yet. I've searched online a lot for a UK distributor, the only place I can find that ships to UK is ebay so I think I'll have to order it from there, unless anyone knows any other info?

I bought a probiotic today which has Lactobacillus Rhamanous in it from Holland and Barrett (about our only health food shop in the UK) and have started taking it orally.

So yeah, I'll see how I go in the next week then maybe do a run of BA / inserting probiotics.

Metrogel - is that something you can buy in the UK and what does it do?

Cheers,
Grace.

Hmmm. Good idea about alternating BA with acidophilus. I haven't inserted acidophilus vaginally for a long time now so I might start doing it again.

Metrogel is only available on prescription here - it's just Metronidazole in a gel to insert, for those who can't tolerate the oral antibiotics. My bv responds to this antibiotic, but the problem just returns within a few days.

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Jan 23 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #933

BUSTie

QUOTE(neptune @ Jan 23 2009, 05:52 PM) *
biggrin.gif Glad you've noticed an improvement! I'm still using it (about twice a week) as I find that while it's not a cure, it makes the symptoms so much more manageable.

Now I'm toying with the idea of using a course of metro gel then continuing with the BA and seeing if that gets rid of the problem completely.

Yeah, I don't feel it's gone completely, so I bought another box today, which I'll use in a week or so. I thought about alternating using the BA one night and the next inserting live yoghurt + contents acidophilus caplet sprinked in. So one night I'm balancing the pH, the next I'm adding some friendly bacteria to this mix.

What's really frustrating is that we can't get FemD here in the UK. I've emailed Jarrow to ask if there's any way of ordering it or if plans to do so in the future, but they haven't replied yet. I've searched online a lot for a UK distributor, the only place I can find that ships to UK is ebay so I think I'll have to order it from there, unless anyone knows any other info?

I bought a probiotic today which has Lactobacillus Rhamanous in it from Holland and Barrett (about our only health food shop in the UK) and have started taking it orally.

Metrogel - is that something you can buy in the UK and what does it do?

Cheers,
Grace.

+Quote Post
neptune
post Jan 23 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #934

BUSTie

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Jan 22 2009, 09:22 PM) *
Just an update on my progress with Balance Activ.

I applied the seventh and final application last night, and have to say my symptoms have definitely improved. I have hardly any discharge (the bit that's there is about the size of a 50p coin - sorry - not sure how big your US coins are but you get the picture...) and the smell on my pants is so much fainter, hardly there. And if I put my finger in my vagina the smell is so different, not entirely odourless but so so much better. I know (though it's hard to remember what it smelt like before I got BV) it's normal to have a slight odour.

It's still early days and I want to see how I go in the next week and after my period, which is due next week actually. So I'll report back and let you know if it's continued to help me.

I'm not celebrating just yet, because I know the pH could get ropey again and the bad bacterias could thrive, but I'm hoping my ladypart (he he) is stronger now and might be able to cope on her own. We'll see.

biggrin.gif Glad you've noticed an improvement! I'm still using it (about twice a week) as I find that while it's not a cure, it makes the symptoms so much more manageable.

Now I'm toying with the idea of using a course of metro gel then continuing with the BA and seeing if that gets rid of the problem completely.

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Jan 22 2009, 04:22 PM
Post #935

BUSTie

Just an update on my progress with Balance Activ.

I applied the seventh and final application last night, and have to say my symptoms have definitely improved. I have hardly any discharge (the bit that's there is about the size of a 50p coin - sorry - not sure how big your US coins are but you get the picture...) and the smell on my pants is so much fainter, hardly there. And if I put my finger in my vagina the smell is so different, not entirely odourless but so so much better. I know (though it's hard to remember what it smelt like before I got BV) it's normal to have a slight odour.

It's still early days and I want to see how I go in the next week and after my period, which is due next week actually. So I'll report back and let you know if it's continued to help me.

I'm not celebrating just yet, because I know the pH could get ropey again and the bad bacterias could thrive, but I'm hoping my ladypart (he he) is stronger now and might be able to cope on her own. We'll see.

Also might be worth noting that for the past 3 days I've taken 1600mog folic acid after reading the post from wanabefresh. I already had it at home from trying it before with little success, but after reading all the Earth Clinic posts I thought I'd give it a go, increasing the dose I took before (which was 800mg).

I've also been 'airing' my vagina - like just not wearing pants for a while and wafting some air into her (just in my own living room, by the way!)

How's everyone else doing?

Healthy wishes to you all.

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 20 2009, 07:42 AM
Post #936

QUOTE(wanabfresh @ Jan 19 2009, 05:20 PM) *
im not sure how 2 post never reallly posted much but
To Lori and Sweaty
just wanted you alls opinion on this because i read yall blogs all the time an no that yall no what yall talking about so what do u think
Hey evry1 im not new here but i always read u guys post, an i to have been suffering from this for years and i just came across this website for bv home remdies and started taking to mind some of the suggestions the ladies posted.
Actually its the earth clinic site if intrested. So what there talking about is this vitamin called folic acid which helps the red blood cell formation. An ive done a lil research on it what it seems to do is carry out oxygen to different places in your body and i think this may be a good thing, because we need the aerobic bacteria n the vagina to produce oxygen which keeps the bad bacteria from taking over.An it really makes sense n a way. So what i did was read all the post on the site before I decided on what ill try an these ladies to have suffered for years an claim to have had good results with the probiotic and folic combo.
So i actually begin taking them day 2 but cant really tell cause of my period but i think this may be a cure so ladies check it out, an good luck on this ugly disease. An ill keep u guys posted

www.earthclinic.com/cures/bacterial_vaginosis
or what i did was just typed n bacteria vaginosis home remedies and then went to the earth clinic site cause that address isnt really showing all the remedies

Here is the process by which BV develops in "Doctor Language"

Gardnerella (bad bacteria) increases, anaerobes increase, as a result the Gardnerella produces amino acids, the anaerobes have an enzyme that cleaves into amines. The amines raise the pH in the vagina, that cause the squamous cells to slough and desquamate and produce discharge characteristic of the disease. Then you have a cycle of elevated pH which kills more lactobacilli which allows the anaerobes to increase even more.

Lactobacillus bacteria are classified as aerobic bacteria, or bacteria whose growth is favored by an oxygen-rich environment. Lactobacillus bacteria produce small quantities of lactic acid, which account for the moderate acidity of normal vaginal secretions. This mildly acidic environment is thought to play a significant role in immune defense as this acidity has the effect of inhibiting the growth of many other microorganisms, which might be introduced within the vagina. Lactobacillus bacteria are also responsible for producing small quantities of hydrogen peroxide that has an additional role in protecting the vagina from particular infections

I remember visiting the Earth Clinic website a while back and I've read the posts about folic acid, apple cider vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and the like. What I know about folic acid is it's good for growth of healthy new cells and it's also a b-vitamin which is good for metabolism. I won't say that it won't help your Bacterial Vaginosis but from what you mentioned above, some of these women were also taking the folic acid with a probiotic. Probiotics are excellent for treating reoccurring vaginal infections and are better for your intestinal and urogenital flora in the long run.

I'm glad probiotics are used in this "remedy", it's taking a step in the right direction. I can see this remedy being helpful, mainly because of the probiotics usage. Folic acid is naturally occurring in foods which would be leafy green vegetables, fruits, dried beans, peas, nuts, enriched breads, cereals and other grain products. I always recommend that people eat foods in their most natural form for proper absorption, after all, there is no way of knowing whether a choice supplement will be absorbed properly. This could lead to the reason why choice supplements have no effect on some people. There was a time I spent somewhere around $40-$45 on various supplements attempting to treat one of my ailments, and I honestly didn't notice a difference after taking them regularly for weeks, the only affect I had was a neon colored urine. I eventually quit taking them and they're still sitting in my medicine cabinet today. That is why I don't typically recommend common vitamins to people because there is no way of knowing if it will absorb properly or not.

My conclusion: Probiotics are great for treating reoccurring vaginal infections and great for over all intestinal/urogenital health. Folic acid is great for growth of healthy new cells and metabolism. But choice folic acid supplements are wildcards, you'd be better off consuming it through whole foods.

+Quote Post
wanabfresh
post Jan 19 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #937

BUSTie

QUOTE(lori @ Jan 18 2009, 09:58 PM) *
I don't think anyone thinks/said that refrigerated probiotics are better.

However, I assume that if the packaging says that the products needs to be refrigerated, that means it's not freeze-dried for whatever reason, and so I'll just follow the directions and keep it in the fridge for maximum potency.

Which of course brings up another good thing about RepHresh Pro-B - apparently doesn't need to be refrigerated!

Good news is that this product is definitely being sold elsewhere besides CVS:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...mp;catid=132230

Bad news is that it's not any cheaper.

Yet another good news? It says you only need one a day, not two! This is a good thing, since it's over $1 per pill.

One drawback - "Do not use if pregnant or nursing unless directed to do so by your doctor."

Overall, I'm very excited about this product. I hope it works as well as Fem-Doph. It looks like they contain the same number of organisms, so if Fem-Doph works for you, this should, too.

im not sure how 2 post never reallly posted much but
To Lori and Sweaty
just wanted you alls opinion on this because i read yall blogs all the time an no that yall no what yall talking about so what do u think

Hey evry1 im not new here but i always read u guys post, an i to have been suffering from this for years and i just came across this website for bv home remdies and started taking to mind some of the suggestions the ladies posted.
Actually its the earth clinic site if intrested. So what there talking about is this vitamin called folic acid which helps the red blood cell formation. An ive done a lil research on it what it seems to do is carry out oxygen to different places in your body and i think this may be a good thing, because we need the aerobic bacteria n the vagina to produce oxygen which keeps the bad bacteria from taking over.An it really makes sense n a way. So what i did was read all the post on the site before I decided on what ill try an these ladies to have suffered for years an claim to have had good results with the probiotic and folic combo.
So i actually begin taking them day 2 but cant really tell cause of my period but i think this may be a cure so ladies check it out, an good luck on this ugly disease. An ill keep u guys posted

www.earthclinic.com/cures/bacterial_vaginosis
or what i did was just typed n bacteria vaginosis home remedies and then went to the earth clinic site cause that address isnt really showing all the remedies

Here is the process by which BV develops in "Doctor Language"

Gardnerella (bad bacteria) increases, anaerobes increase, as a result the Gardnerella produces amino acids, the anaerobes have an enzyme that cleaves into amines. The amines raise the pH in the vagina, that cause the squamous cells to slough and desquamate and produce discharge characteristic of the disease. Then you have a cycle of elevated pH which kills more lactobacilli which allows the anaerobes to increase even more.

Lactobacillus bacteria are classified as aerobic bacteria, or bacteria whose growth is favored by an oxygen-rich environment. Lactobacillus bacteria produce small quantities of lactic acid, which account for the moderate acidity of normal vaginal secretions. This mildly acidic environment is thought to play a significant role in immune defense as this acidity has the effect of inhibiting the growth of many other microorganisms, which might be introduced within the vagina. Lactobacillus bacteria are also responsible for producing small quantities of hydrogen peroxide that has an additional role in protecting the vagina from particular infections

+Quote Post
lori
post Jan 18 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #938

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Jan 17 2009, 08:10 PM) *
[b]It seems like a few people are really sold on the whole idea of refrigerated probiotics. With all of the research I've done on it, I've came up with nothing. There is no conclusive information that actually states refrigerated probiotics are better than the freeze dried variety.

I don't think anyone thinks/said that refrigerated probiotics are better.

However, I assume that if the packaging says that the products needs to be refrigerated, that means it's not freeze-dried for whatever reason, and so I'll just follow the directions and keep it in the fridge for maximum potency.

Which of course brings up another good thing about RepHresh Pro-B - apparently doesn't need to be refrigerated!

Good news is that this product is definitely being sold elsewhere besides CVS:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...mp;catid=132230

Bad news is that it's not any cheaper.

Yet another good news? It says you only need one a day, not two! This is a good thing, since it's over $1 per pill.

One drawback - "Do not use if pregnant or nursing unless directed to do so by your doctor."

Overall, I'm very excited about this product. I hope it works as well as Fem-Doph. It looks like they contain the same number of organisms, so if Fem-Doph works for you, this should, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 17 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #939

It seems like a few people are really sold on the whole idea of refrigerated probiotics. With all of the research I've done on it, I've came up with nothing. There is no conclusive information that actually states refrigerated probiotics are any different than the freeze dried variety. If anyone has any information on this I would definitely like to know. The one article I found to be somewhat helpful was this one (here) from the National Cancer Institute.

+Quote Post
lori
post Jan 17 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #940

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Jan 17 2009, 01:38 PM) *
according to THIS you only get a 30 ct for $29.99. Come out better buying 60 from Iherb and getting it cold - I think.... just IMO.

This actually sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing this, Sweaty.

I love that it's available at CVS. Let's hope this means that it's going to be available soon at Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc.

(Unfortunately, having it widely available doesn't mean it's going to be cheap. Bah.)

--------------------

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 45 46 47 48 49 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 31, 2014 - 05:28 AM