The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> heard any good music lately?
devotchka
post Jul 3 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #41

I'm really torn because i dont want to admit to actually listening to panic! because it seems so teenybopper, but i heard that one song...you know the one everyone has heard and i literally sang it everyday for 3 weeks straight.

Also i adore the dresden dolls, and they are amazing live.

so im torn, risk what little hipster cred i have to see panic! at the disco and dresden dolls, or stay home and be a pussy?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
the_geiger
post Jun 24 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #42

Hardcore BUSTie

Speaking of Fueled By Ramen, has anyone here listened to the Gym Class Heroes? My brother gave me "The Papercut Chronicles" about two years ago. If nothing else, I recommend the song "Taxi Driver," because it is hilarious and name drops a bunch of bands: "I took Cutie for a ride in my death cab/ she tipped me with a kiss I dropped her off at the meth lab/ before she left she made a dashboard confessional...something something something...and I can still see her bright eyes like sunny day real estate...something...your little chemical romance left a bad taste in my mouth."

Lately I've been having fun taking cds from the public library home and copying them onto my computer. I've got some Husker Du and some Urge Overkill, as well as the Empire Records soundtrack. Because I just can't live without grunge. Oh, and I need to find myself a copy of "Sweet Oblivion" by the Screaming Trees because the cassette tape I bought for $0.25 got destroyed months ago.

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jun 24 2006, 03:28 AM
Post #43

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

the best analogy I've found is the 1930s art movement in germany. They sound what that looks like.

+Quote Post
tyger
post Jun 23 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #44

Hardcore BUSTie

there's a place where panic! aren't hyped out to wazoo? as far as i knew they were everywhere's new darlings.

i'm sad to hear panic! isn't that great live (i trust your opinion far more than the girls on posting boards that are like 'ohmigod, brendon, is, like, sooooooo hot and panic! is amazing and i love them and want to have their babies!') i started listening to them before they really hit, and i actually couldn't get their album without ordering it in, so i waited until i went on vacation, then came back and there were racks full of it at my local store. they are seriously the reason the hmv in my town started carrying bands on fueled by ramen other than fall out boy.

hmmm, how to describe the sound of the dresden dolls. i honestly can't, and i can't think of anything that sounds like them at all. it's all piano and drums (with a few other instruments here and there), and very strong and powerful. it also has a sort of 'fuck you' attitude, like they're going to do exactly what they want no matter what is expected of them. i'd suggest downloading 'bad habit', 'mrs. o', and 'girl anachronism' to get a good feeling of them overall

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jun 22 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #45

I like the Dresden Dolls. It's different to a lot of what I usually listen to, but it sounds good. I like "backstabber" for some reason. There's lots of attitude, and it seems tongue-in-cheek at times. The album flows nicely too; I haven't listen to it enough to pick out many tracks, but I haven't had a "eurgh, I don't like this" reaction to any track.

Guilty pleasure music = Smoosh. For my inner teenybopper.

+Quote Post
littleladylila
post Jun 22 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #46

BUSTie

In regards to Panic!, they're not that hyped over here. I suppose the word about how fast they got signed and snagged the tour is coloring things in your neck of the woods. They're still new and young, so perhaps they'll work it out. How's that Dresden Dolls cd? What's the overall sound?

As for me, it's nothing but guilty pleasure music right now.

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jun 22 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #47

I just got the dresden dolls album. I suspect it was you lot in here who got me into them (I got stuff on a mixtape). Woo! I'm going to have to get thier last album now, and that's expensive. Damned import cds.

tyger - do it do it do it!

Also, tapes 'n' tapes, and Vincent Vincent & The Villans.

I am ashamed to admit, panic! are growing on me. They still sucked live, but maybe that's 'cos they seemed really up themselves. They're one of the over-hyped teenybopper bands over here, so it wasn't the usual audience there either, which might have had an effect.

+Quote Post
tyger
post Jun 22 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

i love abandoned pools. of course, i first heard of them from the clone high theme song, but that's okay, as clone high is cool, and so are they.

i love snow patrol. 'hands open' is quickly becoming the most played song on my itunes. okay, second most. bss 'anthem for a seventeen year old girl' will take a long time to surpass, as it is my broken heart song. it's most played by, like, 20 times.

i'm excited to see panic! at the disco, but moreso for the fact that dresden dolls is opening. i was gonna brigade for the show, make myself a collar covered in glitter and take confession, but i'm thinking the vast majority of the crowd wouldn't know that i was there for the dolls, and wouldn't get what was going on. i'm gonna get to the line early, though, and bring my collar, in case there is a brigade presence to join. it's still more than a month away, but it was, like, more than 100 days when i bought my ticket, so it seems eons closer than to begin with

+Quote Post
fred_the_girl
post Jun 22 2006, 03:39 PM
Post #49

wolf paraid

+Quote Post
gigikinks
post Jun 7 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #50

antony and the johnsons are amazing. 'You are my sister' is one of those empowering yet unbelievebly moving songs, watch the video on subterranean.

+Quote Post
the_geiger
post Jun 6 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #51

Hardcore BUSTie

Panic!At the Disco has grown on me. At first I thought their video was boring, but now I like it.

Has anyone seen Wintergreen's "When I Wake Up" video? If not you should look it up on youtube or ifilm. It's a good song, and I like the concept: the band goes to a landfill in New Mexico to dig up a bunch of ET Atari game cartridges.

Does anyone else think that most of the stuff played on rap radio nowadays sucks? I remember that when my older brother was in his rap phase in the mid-to-late 1990s a lot of that stuff was pretty good. Now my cousin's in his rap phase and I want to shoot the car radio. Badly.

+Quote Post
tyger
post Jun 5 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

hot hot heat is amazingarific. i love shuffling stuff on my ipod, i'll come across and song and go 'that's awesome! why havent' i listened to that for months?'

i'm going to warped tour AND seeing panic!at the disco/the dresden dolls/the hush sound this summer. i will be poor from all the merch buying, but i will be a happy happy panda

+Quote Post
nereid
post May 24 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

I went to a site called What's That Called? and asked there. No responses. Damn. I think commercialbreaksandbeats.com is down, when i tried to get in, it wouldn't come up.

+Quote Post
miss_jane
post May 11 2006, 04:09 AM
Post #54

BUSTie

nereid have you tried commercialbreaksandbeats.com? I don't know if it is regularly updated though.

+Quote Post
nereid
post May 7 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #55

Hardcore BUSTie

Have y'all seen those newer air force commercials? Well, there's one with a guy who fixes a cops little car computer, and then they show him working on air force computers. There's a caption that says something like "We've been waiting for you" or something like that. Y'all know the commercial? Well, there's this kick ass song playing in the background, it sounds techno, and I can't find the name of it anywhere on the net. Does anyone here happen to know? Or perhaps it's just a short segment of music made specifically for the commercial?

+Quote Post
rocketscience
post May 7 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #56

BUSTie

I'm a big fan of Ben Gibbard AKA singer/songwriter for Death Cab For Cutie and The Postal Service, I love his lyrics. I listen to both alot when walking to class, kind of a sound track to my life at the moment

+Quote Post
greenaardvark
post May 5 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #57

Omg, modest mouse! *swoons*
The song that makes me smile, even if i don't really feel like smiling (in fact, it makes me dance around my bedroom most of the time!) is Mr. Blue Sky by E.L.O! Seriously, listen to it whenever you're feeling down!!
And my all time favourite band is The Decemberists, they always have something up their sleeves that makes me feel good!

I kind of agree about the whole punk thing.. it's so confusing to know what is really classified as punk! I'm not that great at that sort of thing but sometimes i listen to something and think.. you call that punk? i'd call it, well, crap!

Hehe, anyways... if all else fails, make your own music. Sing in the shower ! Yay! :D

+Quote Post
kaitlinthebull
post Apr 27 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #58

BUSTie

yes, at the music store back home they totally have this bizarre punk section that makes no sense.

currently been in an ani difranco mood for a week. *sigh* oh ani. i hadn't even listened to her before i came to college. i think it's because of the exorbinate number of lesbians who attend my nature, hippie school turning me on to her. ani is definitely god in these parts.

does anybody else in residence halls use ourtunes? because i LOVE ourtunes. the internet on campus has blocked other downloading systems but ourtunes makes it so that you can download the music of other people on the same network as you in your dorm. it's sweet.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 1, 2014 - 06:41 PM