Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
neverending
post Oct 18 2008, 09:35 AM
Post #1161

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(roquelaure @ Oct 18 2008, 07:00 AM) *
hi all!!

first of all, i can't believe i've never been to the forums here. i read the mag, visit the site, browse/shop via the links page, but it wasn't until i googled "BV and SEX" in my current minor state of panic that i even thought about hanging out in the forums. i'm a freaking genius, i know rolleyes.gif and now, as my virgin post, i'm going to give everyone waayy TMI, haha.

right. so. late august i thought i had a yeast infection from a course of antibiotics i had just finished for an infected burn, because i ALWAYS get yeast infections when i have to take antibiotics for ear and sinus infections. my usual drugstore cure wasn't working though, so i finally couldn't take it and went to my ob/gyn.

turns out i had BV (of the gardnerella variety). i was surprised, i'm 33 and never had it or any symptoms- he thought it was probably because the antibiotics DID give me yeast, but my normal cure didn't work because it was an extremely strong abtibiotic, and i only managed to screw up my ph enough to cause mass bacterial pandemonium (in my words, not his of course). he gave me metrogel, and after the requisite being completely grossed out by the Random Metrogel Patented White Gooey String Effect that lasted a couple days after i finished the course, all seemed to be well.

last week though i started feeling itchy and burny (the unsuccessful spinoff of "Itchy & Scratchy"). once again i thought it was yeast, and started my yogurt and acidophilous routine, which usually kills it if i catch it in the first couple of days. i was feeling fine, until tonight- and here's where we reach TMI status... so tonight i was enjoying a solo Friday night at home with a few toys *wink wink nudge nudge know what i mean*. when i was done i noticed a little burning, and spots of blood on the sheets. needless to say i completely freaked the hell out- that's never happened before. i have NEVER bled during or after sex- not when i lost my virginity or after any particularly intense sessions- NEVER. and this was bright, fresh blood- not like anything brown or thick that may have been left over from my period for some reason. and now it feels like my vagina and vulva are on freaking fire.

after cleaning up, i came online and started looking for culprits. i've never bled from yeast before no matter how much i scratched or made things worse, so i looked up any combo of BV or vaginosis/isis gardnerella and vaginal bleeding/bloody discharge. the only things i find that mention bacteria and bleeding immediately after sex are reference to cervicitis.

GAH!!!

before i start freaking out that now it's moved up THERE, has ANYONE ever had bleeding like that from BV alone?! has anyone gotten cervcitis from BV?? i've tried to search the thread but keep getting an error message, sorry if it's been covered before. i am 100% most definitely going to call my OB/GYN first thing monday morning- there is positively no doubt about that. but monday seems like a looooooong way away right now... sad.gif

okay. i think i'm done now. thanks in advance, everybody, i'm looking forward to becoming a part of the baords!

You may have inflammation. (the unsuccessful spinoff of "Itchy & Scratchy") <---- I just lol. You are funny. Welcome to the board!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
roquelaure
post Oct 18 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #1162

BUSTie

hi all!!

first of all, i can't believe i've never been to the forums here. i read the mag, visit the site, browse/shop via the links page, but it wasn't until i googled "BV and SEX" in my current minor state of panic that i even thought about hanging out in the forums. i'm a freaking genius, i know rolleyes.gif and now, as my virgin post, i'm going to give everyone waayy TMI, haha.

right. so. late august i thought i had a yeast infection from a course of antibiotics i had just finished for an infected burn, because i ALWAYS get yeast infections when i have to take antibiotics for ear and sinus infections. my usual drugstore cure wasn't working though, so i finally couldn't take it and went to my ob/gyn.

turns out i had BV (of the gardnerella variety). i was surprised, i'm 33 and never had it or any symptoms- he thought it was probably because the antibiotics DID give me yeast, but my normal cure didn't work because it was an extremely strong abtibiotic, and i only managed to screw up my ph enough to cause mass bacterial pandemonium (in my words, not his of course). he gave me metrogel, and after the requisite being completely grossed out by the Random Metrogel Patented White Gooey String Effect that lasted a couple days after i finished the course, all seemed to be well.

last week though i started feeling itchy and burny (the unsuccessful spinoff of "Itchy & Scratchy"). once again i thought it was yeast, and started my yogurt and acidophilous routine, which usually kills it if i catch it in the first couple of days. i was feeling fine, until tonight- and here's where we reach TMI status... so tonight i was enjoying a solo Friday night at home with a few toys *wink wink nudge nudge know what i mean*. when i was done i noticed a little burning, and spots of blood on the sheets. needless to say i completely freaked the hell out- that's never happened before. i have NEVER bled during or after sex- not when i lost my virginity or after any particularly intense sessions- NEVER. and this was bright, fresh blood- not like anything brown or thick that may have been left over from my period for some reason. and now it feels like my vagina and vulva are on freaking fire.

after cleaning up, i came online and started looking for culprits. i've never bled from yeast before no matter how much i scratched or made things worse, so i looked up any combo of BV or vaginosis/isis gardnerella and vaginal bleeding/bloody discharge. the only things i find that mention bacteria and bleeding immediately after sex are reference to cervicitis.

GAH!!!

before i start freaking out that now it's moved up THERE, has ANYONE ever had bleeding like that from BV alone?! has anyone gotten cervcitis from BV?? i've tried to search the thread but keep getting an error message, sorry if it's been covered before. i am 100% most definitely going to call my OB/GYN first thing monday morning- there is positively no doubt about that. but monday seems like a looooooong way away right now... sad.gif

okay. i think i'm done now. thanks in advance, everybody, i'm looking forward to becoming a part of the baords!

+Quote Post
neverending
post Oct 16 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #1163

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(iHATEmetrogel @ Oct 16 2008, 04:23 PM) *
Good morning to everyone! I am new here wink.gif

Here is my story....
I went for my annual in July...doc called me a few days later and said I had a BV...however I didn't feel like I did...it was just a check-up in the first place. Needless to say...I never picked up the script b/c I felt fine. Last week I started having symptoms...to me it was a typical BV. I used to get them often (2 x yr) when I was younger/not married/& using condoms. I called the doc and they called me in Metrogel. This stuff is so freaking disgusting...it gets clumpy, slimy, thick, nastiness....

I am wondering if this is how it is for everyone, or did I have a bad reaction to it? I feel like the problem is WORSE now!!! I don't have an odor...but an irritation and a periodic itch from hell wink.gif A long time ago I was given a 1 dose suppository called WTF...I can't remember...anyway it worked great and I have not been able to get it since (I was pregnant @ the time...maybe it was the only safe thing?!?!?)

So I am going to the doctor today and I want to be armed with info so I get the right meds! Here is a (not so) funny story about my doctor before i go....

one time i had an "issue"..it was one spot that was really bothering me...no d/c or anything...just this one spot down there...went to the doc...keep in mind i am married and monogomus....he worked me up for everything...and told me it looks like HERPES...he was not sure b/c he had to send the test out but he really thought that's what it was....wtf...herpes??? i was going to KILL my husband...then i said...is there ANY chance i could have cut myself, or just have a sensitive irritaiton right there? he agreed yes it was possible...THEN WHY DIDN'T HE FREAKING SAY THAT FIRST...good thoughts before bad news...DUHHHHHHHHHH. turns out i never had herpes wink.gif i was able to pass the entire bag of meds i left there with along to a friend who suffers from bad cold sores!!!

have a great day ladies wink.gif

Hun,

You had better take info with you cause docs love to give false diagnosis. They would diagnose me with something, then call me back and say "no, it's not this but this". Then they call you back again and say "well, since it didn't go away, I'm sure you have this". Then you get frustrated and go to someone else and THEY do the same thing. I kept telling them it was my hormones but NOooooo they can't take the patients word for it. So yeah, being armed with info is a great idea. wink.gif

The Herpes thing is funny. I had one doc tell me that I had cancer before doing tests. I worried a couple of days then I got the call I didn't. So, I know how you feel. I understand doctor's are human but they should really do tests first before giving out the bad news. Another thing, everytime I went to a new doc and told them my problems, the first thing they wanted to test for was HIV. I've had over 10 hiv tests and every time I would tell them I've been tested for that already. That and all std tests but you know what tihngs are 100% better now. I've lost a considerable amount of weight ( I was 197lbs to be exact but lost like 30lbs), my acne is 85% better, I don't grow hair out of my chiny chin chin, I can wear thongs instead of granny panties, I date a guy and am still able to keep my husband and guess what they both know each other and have recently met. HAHAHAHAHAHA......I'm back to normal and life s much better.

+Quote Post
neverending
post Oct 16 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #1164

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(iHATEmetrogel @ Oct 16 2008, 04:23 PM) *

Here is my story....
I went for my annual in July...doc called me a few days later and said I had a BV...however I didn't feel like I did...it was just a check-up in the first place. Needless to say...I never picked up the script b/c I felt fine. Last week I started having symptoms...to me it was a typical BV. I used to get them often (2 x yr) when I was younger/not married/& using condoms. I called the doc and they called me in Metrogel. This stuff is so freaking disgusting...it gets clumpy, slimy, thick, nastiness....

I am wondering if this is how it is for everyone, or did I have a bad reaction to it? I feel like the problem is WORSE now!!! I don't have an odor...but an irritation and a periodic itch from hell wink.gif A long time ago I was given a 1 dose suppository called WTF...I can't remember...anyway it worked great and I have not been able to get it since (I was pregnant @

So I am going to the doctor today and I want to be armed with info so I get the right meds! Here is a (not so) funny story about my doctor before i go....

one time i had an "issue"..it was one spot that was really bothering me...no d/c or anything...just this one spot down there...went to the doc...keep in mind i am married and monogomus....he worked me up for everything...and told me it looks like HERPES...he was not sure b/c he had to send the test out but he really thought that's what it was....wtf...herpes??? i was going to KILL my husband...then i said...is there ANY chance i could have cut myself, or just have a sensitive irritaiton right there? he agreed yes it was possible...THEN WHY DIDN'T HE FREAKING SAY THAT FIRST...good thoughts before bad news...DUHHHHHHHHHH. turns out i never had herpes wink.gif i was able to pass the entire bag of meds i left there with along to a friend who suffers from bad cold sores!!!

Oops, sorry guys!

+Quote Post
Hunnibee79
post Oct 16 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #1165

I found another forum that discusses chronic BV. And one woman said she had luck with folic acid. Here's a link to the forum.

http://www.womens-health.com/boards/gyneco...ginosis-21.html

+Quote Post
sassy
post Oct 16 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #1166

Hardcore BUSTie

IHATEMetroGel: It sounds like the one dose medication you are talking about is Clindeese. I don't think it is available at all anymore because it can actually cause you to get vaginal strep B (correct me if I'm wrong ladies, I don't remember the specifics on this.) As for your doctor, he doesn't sound that great to me...

+Quote Post
iHATEmetrogel
post Oct 16 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #1167

Here is my story....

I am wondering if this is how it is for everyone, or did I have a bad reaction to it? I feel like the problem is WORSE now!!! I don't have an odor...but an irritation and a periodic itch from hell wink.gif A long time ago I was given a 1 dose suppository called WTF...I can't remember...anyway it worked great and I have not been able to get it since (I was pregnant @ the time...maybe it was the only safe thing?!?!?)

+Quote Post
LovelyLadyLuck
post Oct 14 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #1168

QUOTE(dani1983 @ Oct 14 2008, 11:24 PM) *
do you have to use a pantyliner or something? would the "powder" come out of the vag?

no nothing comes out. its funny cuz it almost seems like those organisms want to be up there. and i make sure to push it up far.

my TMI update: i think this stuff really likes my body. i just stuck my (clean) finger up there pretty far and pulled out the outer part of the capsule. there was a bit of the "powder" on it, but not much. i put it in at 3 am last night so its been almost 24 hours... so yes it definitely does hang around to do its job. anyways when i checked i discovered i have a "slippery" discharge with no smell, just like the last time i took it. its only been a few days but the same thing that happened the first time is happening this time so i am very encouraged.

+Quote Post
dani1983
post Oct 14 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #1169

BUSTie

QUOTE(LovelyLadyLuck @ Oct 14 2008, 10:37 PM) *
thanks for responding mfc10, i was just curious because i wanted to know if anyone had actually been cured of BV by the femd alone. i used it for a week by mouth and noticed a change in my discharge, and a better smell it seemed, but i wasnt consistent in taking it. 2 weeks later i started it again, only i have been inserting one vainally and one orally at night for the past few days. the capsule dissolves fine for me.

do you have to use a pantyliner or something? would the "powder" come out of the vag?

Anyways,my update: I'm having a "weird" result with fem-D. The first time I took flagyl, like in June, it stopped my BV for a while but then it came back, but ONLY the yellowish discharge, with no smell. Then 2 months ago or so I did the flagyl thing again, along with fem-d. Discharge wasn't as much as before, but still there. Up until today I still have a little discharge here and there, but no smell whatsoever. Now the weird part is that I only get the discharge when I take the femD. Yes I'm still taking it but since I'm at my bf's most of the time, there are days I don't get to take it.
So in short, the femD is making me have a discharge sad.gif

+Quote Post
LovelyLadyLuck
post Oct 14 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #1170

thanks for responding mfc10, i was just curious because i wanted to know if anyone had actually been cured of BV by the femd alone. i used it for a week by mouth and noticed a change in my discharge, and a better smell it seemed, but i wasnt consistent in taking it. 2 weeks later i started it again, only i have been inserting one vainally and one orally at night for the past few days. the capsule dissolves fine for me. i can still smell faint bv, but the smell from the capsule is stronger, so i dunno yet if its helping or just masking. either way i have an appointment at planned parenthood to get some flagyl, which i respond positively to. like many of you it also gives me yeast infections, so im hoping that the femd will help to keep that under control. thank heavens for this forum, i never would have known about femd, and i am fairly confident that it will keep my vag in check if i kill the BV off first with the flagyl. sooo sad you employed this method recently, correct? how are things going for you?

+Quote Post
Lolasaurus
post Oct 14 2008, 06:18 PM
Post #1171

BUSTie

I'm having that weird white "tissue" stuff that so many of us got from Rephresh/Replens, now... and I think it smells wrong, but can never be sure, lately. I was only clear and groovy for one fucking weekend. sad.gif

Back onto the FemD, vaginally, I suppose, but didn't we decide that that probiotics were gonna be a CURE, not just another treatment?

Furthermore, why isn't there a SOBBING emoticon?

+Quote Post
lori
post Oct 14 2008, 02:45 PM
Post #1172

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(mfc10 @ Oct 14 2008, 10:54 AM) *
I private-messaged/emailed you with a copy of the email minus my university email address.

There is a message board wherein women with interstitial cystitis are using FemDophilus vaginally with success: http://ichopeboard.proboards7.com/index.cgi?board=general

It would be easier (& less-web-ettiquette unacceptable than forwarding my private emails) for people to email or write to him directly with their questions.

Dr. Gregor Reid
Canadian R&D Centre for Probiotics
F2-116,
Lawson Health Research Institute,
268 Grosvenor Street
London, Ontario N6A 4V2
Canada

Fax: 519-646-6031
gregor@uwo.ca

All the best,
Maggie

Thanks for getting back to me, Maggie. I wasn't suggesting that you cut-n-paste his e-mail message, because that wouldn't be polite. (Web-etiquette or not, sharing private correspondence without consent is probably not the nicest thing to do.) I just thought he had said something more specific, and you'd be able to refer to it easily because it's in your e-mail. (vs. phone conversation.)

FYI to others - Another poster who used Fem-D vaginally used it with Rephresh. And because that is an acidic gel, it may have helped the capsule break down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
damselindistress
post Oct 14 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #1173

BUSTie

QUOTE(mfc10 @ Oct 14 2008, 01:56 PM) *
It does, but it takes hours. I put it in around 7 p.m. and I can still "feel " it in there when I go to bed. I usually put a smear of estrogen cream in first, and maybe that helps.

Hugs,
Maggie

Hmm, my girl must be very acidic right now, because it dissolved just like that. You guys were taking too long to answer me, my shipment came in, I tried it. I put it in at 11, checked at 2 and it was already dissolved. cool

Thanks for answering my question and I hope you have whipped this thing once and for all!

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Oct 14 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #1174

BUSTie

QUOTE(damselindistress @ Oct 14 2008, 09:58 AM) *
So, Maggie, for you the capsule straight out of the bottle dissolves, but for others it does not? I just don't want to wast any of these darn things since they're pretty expensive. I'm getting more today, gonna try them again...but vaginally this time...orally didn't do squat, even after a few months of devotion.

It does, but it takes hours. I put it in around 7 p.m. and I can still "feel " it in there when I go to bed. I usually put a smear of estrogen cream in first, and maybe that helps.

Hugs,
Maggie

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Oct 14 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #1175

BUSTie

QUOTE(lori @ Oct 13 2008, 11:07 PM) *
If it was via e-mail, would you mind sharing some of that insight with us? Because that is an amazing and helpful bit of information.

I private-messaged/emailed you with a copy of the email minus my university email address.

There is a message board wherein women with interstitial cystitis are using FemDophilus vaginally with success: http://ichopeboard.proboards7.com/index.cgi?board=general

It would be easier (& less-web-ettiquette unacceptable than forwarding my private emails) for people to email or write to him directly with their questions.

Dr. Gregor Reid
Canadian R&D Centre for Probiotics
F2-116,
Lawson Health Research Institute,
268 Grosvenor Street
London, Ontario N6A 4V2
Canada

Fax: 519-646-6031
gregor@uwo.ca

All the best,
Maggie

+Quote Post
damselindistress
post Oct 14 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #1176

BUSTie

QUOTE(mfc10 @ Oct 13 2008, 10:16 PM) *
No--I haven't had BV in 2 + years. I took the FemDoph as a preventive once I knew I was going to be on antibiotics a long while. So far, no BV or yeast infections! When I emailed Dr. Reid, he was pleased to hear how it has helped even when on broad-spectrum antibiotics.

Hugs,
Maggie

So, Maggie, for you the capsule straight out of the bottle dissolves, but for others it does not? I just don't want to wast any of these darn things since they're pretty expensive. I'm getting more today, gonna try them again...but vaginally this time...orally didn't do squat, even after a few months of devotion.

+Quote Post
lori
post Oct 14 2008, 03:11 AM
Post #1177

Hardcore BUSTie

--------------------

+Quote Post
lori
post Oct 13 2008, 11:07 PM
Post #1178

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(mfc10 @ Oct 13 2008, 07:17 PM) *
He definitely did. Anyone can Email him & ask.

If it was via e-mail, would you mind sharing some of that insight with us? Because that is an amazing and helpful bit of information.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Oct 13 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #1179

BUSTie

QUOTE(lori @ Oct 13 2008, 06:43 AM) *
Really? Did Dr. Reid say that?

He definitely did. Anyone can Email him & ask.

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Oct 13 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #1180

BUSTie

QUOTE(LovelyLadyLuck @ Oct 13 2008, 01:15 AM) *
Hi Ladies....

mfc10, you say you have been on the penicillin for 9 weeks, for an "embedded" bladder infection, but were you suffering with BV at the time? or did you just incorporate the femd as a preventative?

No--I haven't had BV in 2 + years. I took the FemDoph as a preventive once I knew I was going to be on antibiotics a long while. So far, no BV or yeast infections! When I emailed Dr. Reid, he was pleased to hear how it has helped even when on broad-spectrum antibiotics.

Hugs,
Maggie

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 57 58 59 60 61 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 16, 2014 - 05:21 AM