The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 62 63 64 65 66 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
llamas
post Mar 13 2007, 02:14 PM
Post #1261

Hardcore BUSTie

I seriously lust after my SIL's tshirt from the original production of A Chorus Line.

Seen from behind today in Target: what looked to be a cute cropped green cord blazer, unfortunately paired with grey highwater sweatpants, white socks, and black leather loafers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Mar 11 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #1262

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

*de-lurks*

the other night in work I was admiring a co-worker's t-shirt: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon tour tee (1973); she wasn't born until 1983 but she's a huge fan and the tee was bought by her mum. Talk about vintage.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
herculesgirl
post Mar 11 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #1263

Hardcore BUSTie

I dig the whole retro band tee look, I have quite a few myself, but only bands that I actually listen to/have seen (the Doors, Hendrix, Blondie, and lots of Grateful Dead). It never occurred to me that someone might be wearing a shirt for some other reason! Huh...

Last summer I saw a guy about my age at Toys R Us wearing a Stylistics shirt; I'd never seen an old-skool R&B shirt before. We had a nice conversation about how much better the music was "back in those days", when it really was all about the music and the talent, as opposed to the pre-packaged commercial shit that seems to be so prevalent now. Then we each went home, drank some Geriotol, and watched the Matlock marathon until dinner at 4:30. *sigh*

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Mar 11 2007, 07:55 AM
Post #1264

Hardcore BUSTie

wait a minute Baudrillard is dead? How'd that happen or was it just a simulation of reality fourth order that is?

Man that totally makes me sad.

+Quote Post
mornington
post Mar 11 2007, 06:35 AM
Post #1265

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

i've had a minor obsession since alexander mcqueen did a dress covered in sparkly skulls about 3 years ago... it just seemed to take a while to get down to where i can afford over here - and the cartoony style makes me smile.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Mar 10 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #1266

Most Likely Procrastinating

omg, don't get me started on skulls! they were in, and then they were out. and then they were in again, and then they were out, and then they were in but only if paired with something else (preferably hearts and/or stars or possibly anchors) and then they were out again, and now they're back in.

just like zombies.

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
mornington
post Mar 10 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #1267

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

ooh, me too! I have your envelope on my mantelpiece in my bedroom, mouse.

part of me enjoys the indie/retro stuff (but yes, wearing a band t-shirt you don't listen to/know is stupid)... I'm having a slight skull fixation thanks to h&m.

although some of the 80s stuff is getting a little beyond ridiculous. all this neon...

+Quote Post
kelkello
post Mar 10 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #1268

The rest is gravy...

I have no problem with a resurgence of rock t-shirts or the vintage style. I have a problem with people wearing band shirts when they have never listened to the band or sometimes never even heard of the band. I'm a huge fan of a cool, quirky printed t-shirt. I would LOVE to see your designs, Mouse, as I've seen some of your amazing artwork on the cd cover you made and envelope you sent it in. I can't throw that envelope way...it hangs in my studio as inspiration!

--------------------
The greatest instance of serendipity since penicillin.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Mar 9 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #1269

gk, just feel proud that you were ahead of the game smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Mar 9 2007, 02:00 PM
Post #1270

Hardcore BUSTie

Rock shirts at stores like that kind of crack me up. I remember seeing one with a cartoon of Ozzy biting the head off a cartoon bat at Walmart and chuckling. Nothing says Rock and Roll like Walmart! I always hated it when people wore concert T's to shows they had never been to. My sister in law runs around in Misfit t-shirts but doesn't own a freaking cd. It seems so phony to me.

Sometimes I get kind of mad, when I see retro looking clothes becoming fashionable, b/c I wore similar prints and fabrics from thrift stores for years and was fun of. But then I realize it will be a lot easier for me to find the stuff I really like so I don't mind much at all. I feel an urge to stock pile so when they aren't 'cool' anymore I will still have tons.

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Mar 9 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #1271

well.......okay. full disclosure: i work in the fashion industry. but i do think that a lot of the "retro" shirts are kind of cute (and yes, i've designed about seventy billion of them). it's a matter of aesthetics, and i think that the distressed retro style has obviously gotten really popular and i think it's moved far beyond just imitating vintage and has become its own aesthetic. one could easily write a dissertation on it. i'd be very interested in what, say, baudrillard might say about this transformation but unfortunately he died three days ago. sad.gif

anyway, that said, i think it's gross and stupid to have band shirts of bands you don't know , never saw in concert, and bought for $25 at macy's......especially bands which were originally so counter culture as the sex pistols.

--------------------

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Mar 9 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #1272

Hardcore BUSTie

Yes - those "retro" band/punk/rock-n-roll t-shirts are HI-larious!! The most amazing one I've seen was worn by a college-age kid - it was the washed out retro style in gray and had all of these words (like "Sex Pistols" and "punk" factory-written across it but in handwriting font - and one of the words was "DIY". (!!)

+Quote Post
Onna-Otaku
post Mar 8 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #1273

BUSTie

speaking of students...
I am working towards a degree in education, so I intern at a local elementary school. I was thinking the other day about how an outfit that would be heinous on an adault is all rightr on a ten year old. I would stand agape if I saw a full grown woman in camo pants and t-shirt, both of which are different camo types (camo in general=bleahh). But on a ten year old, it is like, whatever.
I just think its funny to take some of the outfits that the kids are wearing and imagine them on adults. It makes me giggle because I'm sure some adults actually wear that.

ETA: yeah that pink stuff is crap. I own a few pairs of underwear that I liked from the line, but nothing that screamed "PINK" across my bum.

--------------------
"Children know perfectly well that unicorns aren't real.
But they also know that books about unicorns, if they are good books,
are true books" -Ursula Le Guin

+Quote Post
kelkello
post Mar 8 2007, 07:58 PM
Post #1274

The rest is gravy...

I hate that pink crap from VS. It's what every sorority girl in my town is sporting on a Saturday morning at the local bagel bakery in an attempt to look like they don't care. Hmmm...the carefully coiffed hair and makeup says otherwise, dear. I find it garish and very middle school. And the Led Zeppelin thing...the old rock and roll bands are popping up all over the kiddie clothes these days. Go to the junior department at Target and even Walmart and you'll find Blondie, Pink Floyd, ACDC, Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Beatles, etc. emblazoned on "retro" style tshirts. My students come in wearing this stuff and they don't even know who the damned bands are.

--------------------
The greatest instance of serendipity since penicillin.

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Mar 8 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #1275

Hardcore BUSTie

the only word that I would ever wear on my ass would be " smart"

+Quote Post
mouse
post Mar 8 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #1276

word, the pink line is boring as hell. at my job actually a client wanted some loungewear in the same style, and i was sent on a shopping trip to vs to "research" (ie, buy stuff, copy it, and then return it....oh, the fashion industry is cracked) and i swear to god i couldn't understand why. some of their underwear prints are pretty cute but rock'n'roll...fake "doodles"...baroque flourishes...nautical.....this is stuff that was popular a year ago, it's nothing new, it's boring, it's repetitive and when victoria's secret sells pair of lounge pants with "led zeppelin" printed across the ass you know the world has already gone to hell.

--------------------

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Mar 8 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #1277

Hardcore BUSTie

Does anyone else find the Victoria's Secret "Pink" line a little boring & dull?

I mean, what's so hot about the words "angel" "love" and "pink" written all over everything- the mascot is a little dog with nothing remarkable about it.

Plus who actually walks around with a big logo that says PINK on their ass. It's a bit "on the nose" right

+Quote Post
herculesgirl
post Mar 5 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #1278

Hardcore BUSTie

I like that dress, Mouse, but yeah, same dress every day is bad, even if it is a favorite. Putting that dress with leggings, a turtleneck (WTF?!?) and loafers is just...well, God killed a kitten because of it, I'm sure.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Mar 5 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #1279

i just have to say, re: the fug girls' recent fugging of shannyn sossamon, that shannyn used to come into the coffeeshop i used to work at on a regular basis and honestly, i don't think i've ever seen her not wear that dress. i mean really, if you are a movie star, and get invited to the spirit awards, and get paid like a moviestar and even if you don't you obviously could coerce half a dozen designers to custom make you an amazing gown--WHY NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE OPPORTUNITY and i don't know, maybe NOT wear the dress you wear EVERY. FREAKING. DAY. privilege gone to waste!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post Mar 5 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #1280

Dragon Velocity

What bitches me out about movie star fashion is that movie stars used to be all different types of people, so looking at what they wear and how they style themselves could give you some clues if you were the same type.

Now, regardless of race or nationality or age or -- they select movie stars based on them fitting the same mold ( few exceptions, not many) and that is, small straight nose, eyes a certain width apart, big forehead, tall and thin.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 62 63 64 65 66 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 20, 2014 - 11:34 PM