Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quitting the pill
candycane_girl
post Aug 3 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

madame, I'm having the same doubts as you.

How the hell do iud's work anyway? I would never not want to get a period because that's my way of knowing that I'm not pregnant. Also, aren't they painful for women who have never had children? Would I still be able to use tampons or a diva cup?

I'm seeing my doctor this week. Hopefully he can help me out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Aug 3 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

hey madame.. despite my boyfriend being 100% willing (and even encouraging me to quit the pill) we had a lot of trouble switching back to condoms, including some fighting and crying during sex. It took a little while to get used to it again, but yeah, you can go back even if you don't really want to. It's still better than being on the pill, and it's better than being preggers! I feel like I've tried everything under the sun, and condoms are the only thing that don't srew with your body in one way or another. I tried and IUD once and hated it, but a lot of girls here have them and love them, there's a thread about them somewhere if you want more information. Modern IUDs are quite safe and effective, and really very cost effective. Just keep in mind that any brand of IUD promising to get rid of your peroids will be injecting hormones straight into your uterus!

+Quote Post
MadameHooch
post Jul 27 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #23

BUSTie

I've been toying with the idea of quitting the pill, because I have doubts about how safe man-made hormones can really be for your body. However I realllly don't want to go back to using condoms with my boyfriend - once ya get that real dick, you aren't so quick to go back, you know? Haha. I am not sure about how many options are out there without fucking with my body. I've been considering giving the cervical cap a whirl, but I've heard mixed things. Does anyone have any opinions on using them, or know of any other alternatives to the pill that might be good for me?

+Quote Post
truthseeker
post Jul 25 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #24

OK, well, let's hope for the best for me. I have horrible periods. I've been on it so long I hardly remember my period before. I'm just done with the pill.

+Quote Post
designermedusa
post Jul 25 2009, 09:09 AM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

truthseeker, before I started taking the pill at 19 I had really bad periods, heavy bleeding. With the pill I had light periods, and now the first period post pill has been a light flow. Also, I had some cramping with pill, but hardly any cramping with my first period post pill.

+Quote Post
truthseeker
post Jul 25 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #26

hey, thanks so much for the update. I'm still waiting on my DH post v test results too. Did you have bad periods while on the pill and were they better without the pill --- or vice versa? That's my biggest fear, is that I'll have gawd awful periods when I'm off the pill.

QUOTE(designermedusa @ Jul 24 2009, 05:55 PM) *
I wanted to share an update to my quitting the pill. I quit the pill almost 6 weeks ago, and so far feel better, but no drastic changes. I haven't had any bad side effects. I started my period one week later than I would if I had still been taking the pill (I read it usually takes 4-6 weeks, so that was correct for me). I can't really say about my sex drive because Mr. DM is working on getting his post vasectomy analysis, so it will be another month or two.

I'm glad I made the decision after 10 years of continuous use to quit the pill.

+Quote Post
designermedusa
post Jul 24 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

I wanted to share an update to my quitting the pill. I quit the pill almost 6 weeks ago, and so far feel better, but no drastic changes. I haven't had any bad side effects. I started my period one week later than I would if I had still been taking the pill (I read it usually takes 4-6 weeks, so that was correct for me). I can't really say about my sex drive because Mr. DM is working on getting his post vasectomy analysis, so it will be another month or two.

I'm glad I made the decision after 10 years of continuous use to quit the pill.

+Quote Post
truthseeker
post Jul 14 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #28

oh sure, no worries! I just didn't want anyone to think I was one of those women, the kind that actually do force their guys to do it. Thanks for the thread links angie.

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Jul 14 2009, 02:54 PM) *
lol, I didn't mean to make it sound like anyone made their husband or SO go out and get a vasectomy done, I just meant that it happened, hopefully a decision they made together. Either way, I thought you might be interested in hearing their stories. I believe it might have been in the "childfree by choice" thread. Hope the test results come back how you want them, anyways!

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jul 14 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

lol, I didn't mean to make it sound like anyone made their husband or SO go out and get a vasectomy done, I just meant that it happened, hopefully a decision they made together. Either way, I thought you might be interested in hearing their stories. I believe it might have been in the "childfree by choice" thread. Hope the test results come back how you want them, anyways!

+Quote Post
truthseeker
post Jul 13 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #30

Angie: One quick correction just to be clear: I didn't have my SO have a vasectomy, but instead my DH had enough of pregnancy scares and since we were sure we didn't want kids, he scheduled one on his own right away. I'm pretty clear on Vs and what we need to do as far as understanding sterility. Basically he gives samples to a lab and they determine whether he is sterile.

Thanks for the links!

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Jul 11 2009, 06:57 PM) *
A lot of girls here have had their SO have a vasectomy, but I don't know what thread it was posted on. If anyone does know could someone bump it for us?

fertility awareness - software, info, and message boards

Fertility awareness basic description

herbal fertility stuff and some info this one's a bit out there, but I had fun reading some of the information abyways

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jul 11 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

A lot of girls here have had their SO have a vasectomy, but I don't know what thread it was posted on. If anyone does know could someone bump it for us?

fertility awareness - software, info, and message boards

Fertility awareness basic description

herbal fertility stuff and some info this one's a bit out there, but I had fun reading some of the information abyways

+Quote Post
truthseeker
post Jul 10 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #32

Angie: Thanks -- I'm not sure about tracking my fertility and all, but I totally get what you are saying about my body evening out after going off BC. It has been a long time and honestly I didn't even realize it. I don't feel old but 20 yrs. seems like forever! I'm anxious to go off -- but must first make sure my DH is sterile. We are pretty sure he is, it's been a year since the big V and he's had plenty of times of ejac. but still, we'll make sure first.

So back to fertility tracking, can you recommend any good sites for a total newbie?? Because I don't want to completely write that off just because it's foreign to me.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jul 9 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey truthseeker, all your symptoms can happen on the birth control pill, including weight problems and wicked pms. I didn't take any supplements or anything, but I was only on it for 3 years. I would suggest reading up on fertility monitoring so that you can track how well your body is readjusting to being without the extra hormones. If you know where you are in your cycle, it's easier to tell, for exmaple, why it might take 8 weeks to get your first peroid off the pill, and you don't have to be paranoid that you're pregnant. Fertility monitoring websites also usually have some information on herbal supplements to help regulate your cycle until your body gets back into the swing of things, but I can't say much about it because I've never tried.

20 years is a long time, so I think the only good advice I can give you is to be patient. Your body has to heal before it can return to normal, and it can take half a year or more for things to really get better in terms of sex drive, weight loss, hormonal balance, etc. And good luck! I know I am sooo much happier now that I am off BC!

+Quote Post
truthseeker
post Jul 9 2009, 01:07 PM
Post #34

unsure.gif

Hi all, new here. I love this thread. Exactly why I joined the Bust anyway.

So I want to quit the pill. I've been on it for approx. 20 yrs. now. I'm in my late 30s. I don't know when it happened, but it did, my sex drive went kapoof! My DH brought it up a few weeks ago, and for our anniversary surprised me with a box o fun if you know what I mean. Of course I said oh yes, let's give this a try, thinking my urges would come back, but noooo.

here's the kicker too --- he had a V last year and is sterile (soon to be checked out anyway). We DO NOT want kids. So once he's got the A-OK on sterility, I'm gonna quit the pill.

I'm on OrthoCept. Anyone else here? I'm worried about what'll happen. As it is now, I have horrible periods, I mean outright insanity for a few days. I'll cry for no reason and fight for no reason. I am really hopeful this will get better once I quit. Right now, I have a period every 4 mos. or so and that's great, but I'm convinced I can't lose weight because of this stupid pill and the loss of my sex drive is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts? Any good tips on what to do when you quit the pill, i.e. supplements, etc.? I exercise regularly but am overweight.

+Quote Post
BustiRubi
post Jul 6 2009, 01:40 AM
Post #35

BUSTie

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Jul 1 2009, 08:38 AM) *
... skipping your periods like on the new pills (seasonale) is even worse, I've done it two or three times, after asking my doctor if it was safe (she said yes) and it made me physically and emotionally off balance for months afterwards

I (think) I have quit using nuva ring (ran out of the prescription-is there a nuva ring thread??) unhappy realizing that since I've been using it every week I would be irritated and/or depressed and it took me a while to realize it.

I chose the ring because I am forgetful and didnt want to worry about taking the pill perfectly but in turn it resulted in my leaving the ring in an extra week skipping my period-because I forgot about it! I did that too much :/ I was kind of happy because I'd rather not have my period but there is something definitely off balance with my hormones now and I think I was already a bit off to begin with!

Sooo who knows? I can say I've been having the time of my life these past couple weeks with moving with my new roomates and not dealing with relationship stress since I don't live with my bf n e more (we're still together) so I don't know what to attribute my good mood to heheh rolleyes.gif It's tough being a sensitive girl I don't know who to blame or to blame myself and for that I am going to therapy. I just don't need to have children right now and I just want to be happy.

maybe lil off topic but is it?

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jul 1 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

right now I am using a combination of condoms and fertility awareness. There's a thread on it somewhere but it's relly old. I would just go to Fertility Awareness Toni Weschler if you are at all interested.

I have a lot of opinions about the pill, but I also recognize the amazing benefits it can have, and that it's a good thing for a lot of girls, and healthier for your body than being preganant or having an abortion. But, otherwise, no, it's proven to have significant and sometimes lasting "side-effects," some of which are very subjective and easy for the pharmaceutical industry to dismiss. And it hurts your body more than they will tell you to mess with it - skipping your periods like on the new pills (seasonale) is even worse, I've done it two or three times, after asking my doctor if it was safe (she said yes) and it made me physically and emotionally off balance for months afterwards

+Quote Post
JessieLaFemme
post Jun 30 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #37

I haven't had any bad experiences on the pill, thankfully, but I often have wondered if it is good for your body. Can it really be all that safe to fuck with your hormones? I'm paranoid about prescription medications and their affect on your body in general, does anyone have any opinions or suggestions on other forms of birth control (besides condoms, haha).

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Jun 27 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

hi dm, that's exciting! hope things continue to go well. It's been five months for me now and things are slowly and steadily getting better. I'm a bit disappointed in how slowly my sex drive is coming back, but it is definitely so much better than before. I think the pill I was on really did a number on my body, and it might take a year or two to get back to normal.

+Quote Post
designermedusa
post Jun 27 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

I extended taking the pill another month, but I am now done with the pill. It's been two weeks (one week of sugar pills which I don't take, and then this week I would have started a new pack). So far everything has been good, I had a headache one day, but I don't know if that's due to quitting the pill or not.

+Quote Post
designermedusa
post May 1 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

From all the stories I've heard from Busties and others it seems like quitting the pill is a good choice for me. I'm really anxious to end this pill pack, and see how my body will react. I have two more packs because of mail order (you get three packs in one shipment), but I'll just save those, and then throw them out later if I don't need them.

I'll post an update after I quit the pill in the next two weeks. Thank for the advice everyone.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 18, 2014 - 09:24 AM