The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

271 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
yupidupi
post Jul 17 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #481

hey i was just wondering if any one here has been tested for a hormonal imbalance ? i believe bv in many cases could be caused by a hormonal imbalance. has any one taken macafem? it is supposed to balance your homones naturally u can order it at www.macafem.com I am going to try that and keep u guys posted
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Jul 15 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #482

BUSTie

QUOTE(bosslady @ Jul 13 2010, 03:40 PM) *
I been reading about the boric acid and sounds pretty interesting. I have already purchase it at a nearby drug store. Humco Boric Acid Power is the one I have. Now from what I have read so far sound like you ladies or purchasing a capsule to put the boric acid in to make a suppository for the vagina. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Where do you get the capsule from?
How many do you apply and how often?

...Somebody pls help

Hi--You can purchase empty gelatin (or vegetarian) capsules at healthfood stores. Carefully fill a capsule with the boric acid. Don't put your fingers in your mouth until you have washed off any boric acid residue. It is poisonous if ingested orally. I usually use a bit of vaginal lubricant on the filled capsule, then insert it vaginally. Don't use it if you have any cuts or open sores on/in your vaginal area. Even though it is an acid, it will feel soothing as it melts inside. I did the 14-nights-in-a-row method (inserting one capsule per night). Wear a panty liner after inserting, since when it all melts, it'll work its way out as a discharge. My gynecologist had a compounding pharmacy make the capsules up for me using boric acid plus powdered acidophilus. We used 300 mg. of boric acid instead of the 600 mg. advocated in the US. (Europeans use just 300 mg.) It worked like a charm. You might want to supplement with FemDophilus probiotic, orally or vaginally, in order to not kill off too much good bacteria along with the BV bacteria.
I did this treatment & have been BV free for 4 years now. (I use a smidgen of Estrace estrogen cream 3 times per week & take a FemDophilus nearly every day to maintain...).
All the best,
Maggie C. smile.gif

+Quote Post
bunny
post Jul 14 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #483

Hey ladies, I've read through a large chunk of this thread and I'm so sorry to hear that you're all suffering. BV is a horrible, horrible thing. Anyways, I found what works for me and hopefully it works for you as well. I do a hydrogen peroxide douche before bed, and then I insert a probiotic capsule inside. Every night after that, I continue to insert a probiotic capsule. For me, all symptoms instantly disappeared. I'm going to continue with the insertation of the probiotics for another month (that will make it 2 in total), and then I think I will be cured (hopefully). There is no quick fix for bv, as I'm sure you're all well aware. You have to build enough good bacteria (which the probiotics do) in order to eliminate the bad.

+Quote Post
tootsieroll
post Jul 14 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #484

QUOTE(antonia @ May 6 2010, 03:51 PM) *
Hi everyone, I too am a BV sufferer. I have utilized this thread for so much information : ) Thank you everyone, for sharing. I am writing with an update. I have been BV free for over a year now! I posted way back on 2/25/2009, reporting the following:
It has been over a year and I have been able to eliminate almost everything on the list. All I do now is right after my period, if I notice any increased wetness I do a "ph treatment". Which for me is the Astroglide Gel, administered through the oral syringe. You can put it in there on a sex toy or finger, but it is not as effective in getting the full "dose" to stay in ... but way more fun ; )

For about 2 months I did everything on that list, then I eliminated the ph strips (I was able to tell if I had a ph imbalance by the increased wetness). Then after about 3 more months I stopped the post sex ph treatments. Then after a few more months I stopped the folic acid (well there's 400mcg folic in my multivit that I try to remember daily). A few months after that I stopped the fem wash opting for water only with the occassional femwash if I want it.
  • So, all I have to do now is be aware after my period for increased wetness, if I get that symptom I do a ph treatment (Astroglide Gel). Lately, this ph treatment has only been necessary every other month or so.
I don't even remember the last time I had BV odor. I am so happy ... hope this helps someone else since it is so cheap and easy to get my "ph treatment".

I've wanted to try a more natural or organic lube, but this has worked so well I don't want to try anything else. If you wanted to try another lube, test it's ph (the Astroglide gel is ph4) and consistency. Since the one I use is a gel, it is thicker which may be a contributing factor.

Hey i want to try your method and was wondering what the astroglide gel is. i know it just as regular lubricant and wouldnt think that helps against BI

+Quote Post
bosslady
post Jul 13 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #485

I have been having BV and yeast problems since I was pregnant with my first son 2004. I'm so sick and tired of running to the Dr. every other month with this. I been reading about the boric acid and sounds pretty interesting. I have already purchase it at a nearby drug store. Humco Boric Acid Power is the one I have. Now from what I have read so far sound like you ladies or purchasing a capsule to put the boric acid in to make a suppository for the vagina. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Where do you get the capsule from?
How many do you apply and how often?

I was told you could take the boric acid an create a home your home douche (boric aid) and water

I was told by the Dr. a month ago that I had BV she gave me antibiotics to take. I started feeling better, but all of a sudden things seem to be getting worse. Now my cycle has been spotting for about 3weeks off and on. It smells so bad....Somebody pls help

+Quote Post
LauraLynn
post Jul 6 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #486

BUSTie

Hi BUST ladies...just checking in to see if anyone has found a miracle cure. lol Oh well, a girl can dream, can't she?

I'm still struggling with the BV, and so far nothing I've tried has worked permanently. I read with interest the folic acid/Fem-D (I think?) combo post, and may try that next payday.

I went overseas to work in August, 2008, and even not having sex until my vacation in May, 2009, didn't stop the BV from making my life hell. I changed my diet, lost almost 40 pounds, etc and so forth, and STILL cheesed and oozed and smelled bad the whole damn time. Now that I'm back in the US and living with my fiance', and of course having frequent sexual activity, it's driving me nuts.

I am lucky in that my fiance' was willing to educate himself about BV and is very understanding and not the least bit judgmental, but it still bothers me greatly that I can't rid myself of this burden.

Anyway, I finally remembered that I had signed up here and came back to see what was going on. Thank you ladies for sharing your experiences with the world. I, for one, appreciate all of you.

Laura

--------------------
Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.
Timothy Leary

+Quote Post
yme
post Jul 5 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #487

BUSTie

I hope you are still hanging in there better yet I hope you are well by now. I use boric acid but didn't work for me hope all goes well for you. I cant remember if my doc said to use it during my cycle or not but I do recall the Doctor telling me to use the antibiotic cream for seven days straight even on my cycle. I guess they are both the same and should be used straight through but I'd double check with the Doc. Keep us posted. Good health to you and Welcome!!!!

+Quote Post
yme
post Jul 5 2010, 09:11 PM
Post #488

BUSTie

QUOTE(jpeb808 @ Jul 1 2010, 07:28 PM) *
So I cant believe Im actually posting to one of these forums. I have been reading them for the last 3 years and Im finally going to do it. It so encouraging to know that other women stuggle with this as much as I do. I work in the healthcare/clinical industry and let me tell you...that still doesnt help me. I am about to embark on the boric acid suppository treatment once at bedtime for 2 weeks.

BV and YI have been part of my life for way too long. Im tired, emotional, fed up, and thankful to have a boyfriend that understands that us not having sex when these break outs happen, is not because im not in the mood....its because these infections are assholes!

The last straw....I have been at the ob/gyn 6 times in the last two months dealing with infections and negative tests of pretty much everything under the sun and more. Last visit we talked about vulvodynia, pretty crappy burning sensation. They gave me some lidocaine jelly to stop the pain and to help with intercourse. Well, its a week before my period and my symptoms are a firey hell. Of course, I get an infection with the onset of each menstrual cycle every month. So Im trying the boric acid, have a follow up with my doc in 4 weeks. Nervous abou the boric acid, is it safe to use while menstrating? I take probiotics everyday, eat yogurt everyday, clean well, no soaps, blah blah blah.

So here we go...wish me luck

I hope you are still hanging in there better yet I hope you are well by now. I use boric acid but didn't work for me hope all goes well for you. I cant remember if my doc said to use it during my cycle or not but I do recall the Doctor telling me to use the antibiotic cream for seven days straight even on my cycle. I guess they are both the same and should be used straight through but I'd double check with the Doc. Keep us posted. Good health to you and Welcome!!!!

+Quote Post
jpeb808
post Jul 1 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #489

So I cant believe Im actually posting to one of these forums. I have been reading them for the last 3 years and Im finally going to do it. It so encouraging to know that other women stuggle with this as much as I do. I work in the healthcare/clinical industry and let me tell you...that still doesnt help me. I am about to embark on the boric acid suppository treatment once at bedtime for 2 weeks.

BV and YI have been part of my life for way too long. Im tired, emotional, fed up, and thankful to have a boyfriend that understands that us not having sex when these break outs happen, is not because im not in the mood....its because these infections are assholes!

The last straw....I have been at the ob/gyn 6 times in the last two months dealing with infections and negative tests of pretty much everything under the sun and more. Last visit we talked about vulvodynia, pretty crappy burning sensation. They gave me some lidocaine jelly to stop the pain and to help with intercourse. Well, its a week before my period and my symptoms are a firey hell. Of course, I get an infection with the onset of each menstrual cycle every month. So Im trying the boric acid, have a follow up with my doc in 4 weeks. Nervous abou the boric acid, is it safe to use while menstrating? I take probiotics everyday, eat yogurt everyday, clean well, no soaps, blah blah blah.

So here we go...wish me luck

+Quote Post
hopeful143
post Jun 28 2010, 12:16 PM
Post #490

Take my word as someone who has been battling this miserable curse for the past 2 and half years! I would go to the gyn and cry to them, and they would just tell me the same thing..to pick up a prescription of mterogelor clandisse, flagyl etc etc etc blah blah blah. None of that stuff is permanent bc it is killing the bad and GOOD bacteria. NO GOOD! Your problem is back in a matter of weeks if not days. I, like everyone other female that suffers this hell researched all the time googling cures and treatments going on blogs to see if there were any natural remedies...I tired a bunch. It wasn't until last year that I tried a different type of probiotic called kyo-dophilus that I stopped getting those infections. The first time I tried it I would take 2 capsules a day (sometimes 3 becasue I really wanted to see if it would work) And I would open one up and empty the powder vaginally as well. After a day, I already starting noticing the difference. It was still itchy and there was still a slight smell, but I continued and after a week It was completely gone!!! THANK GOD! I would continue taking it for another week, and after while I would become cocky and not take them anymore. About 8 months later I started getting symptoms again and immediatley started taking the probiotics again and they would disseaper withing a few days. The MAIN trick I believe is inserting it vaginally for quicker healing. I noticed if I just took it orally, The symptoms wouldnt go away as quickly. I would only insert max 3 capsule (the powder of course, i never inserted the whole capsule) whenever I had symptoms.

I am SO SO SO glad I can come on here and share my success cure with everyone, bc for years I was coming on here and everytime, I said to myself I couldnt wait for the day till I can come on here and share something that actually works!!

kyo-dophilus!!! Wooo biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
yme
post Jun 18 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #491

BUSTie

QUOTE(Iamtrouble @ Jun 17 2010, 06:34 AM) *
Thanks Yme. So u say u have tried the boric acid?? I am thinking of trying it...Im hoping I can figure this out...Im soooo sick of it...it only started when I changed partners..never had this problem before.

Hi. I tried boric acid early last year and it was a total mess, it didn't work for me. But please dont let that discourage you, it just might work for you. I dont understand why nothing ever works for me I must have the MOST severe case of BV in the world and I truly mean it. My gyno gave me a script for Boric Acid but I have read you can buy it over the counter or online, I never done it before and I dont know how true it is but if you wish to save a few dollars going to the doctor do some research on Boric Acid online. Keep healthy.

+Quote Post
Iamtrouble
post Jun 17 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #492

QUOTE(Vega @ Jun 17 2010, 01:30 PM) *
You mentioned it started when you changed partners, have you had a regular check up to make sure it's not something else? Or is your doctor the one who diagnosed you with BV? Have you tried any antibiotics to try to kill whatever bacteria is causing it? Have your tried changing bath soaps and shampoos to make sure you aren't irritating or complicating the matter?

ive been checked for everything!!!! it all comes back negative...doc has said i have BV and have been on meds for almost 2 yrs. i have not tried to change bath soaps..only becuz i have used that way before my new partner and never had this...so im really not sure what to think!

+Quote Post
Vega
post Jun 17 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #493

QUOTE(Iamtrouble @ Jun 17 2010, 07:34 AM) *
Thanks Yme. So u say u have tried the boric acid?? I am thinking of trying it...Im hoping I can figure this out...Im soooo sick of it...it only started when I changed partners..never had this problem before.

You mentioned it started when you changed partners, have you had a regular check up to make sure it's not something else? Or is your doctor the one who diagnosed you with BV? Have you tried any antibiotics to try to kill whatever bacteria is causing it? Have your tried changing bath soaps and shampoos to make sure you aren't irritating or complicating the matter?

--------------------
Allie Vega, Private Health Insurance Advisor

+Quote Post
Iamtrouble
post Jun 17 2010, 06:34 AM
Post #494

+Quote Post
yme
post Jun 16 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #495

BUSTie

Hi everyone. Where is everyone? This board use to be so popular now its just flat out dead, can someone please bring her back to life???

Anyway, I still have BV and its depressing I am looking for new meds or remedies to try instead of the usual Flagyl or boric acids, probiotics, tea-tree oil, and vitamins. I have tried it all and nothing seems to work.

Any new findings about BV and potential cures. Please share if you can. Thanks to everyone and may God bless you all.

ps. Hang in there Lisa hopefully we can get rid of this monster soon.

+Quote Post
Iamtrouble
post Jun 16 2010, 09:12 AM
Post #496

Hi! I have been researching BV for quite some time...I have had this for about the past 2 yrs now..got this same time I changed partners. Ive been to numerous doctors...prescribed me on meds for bv then yeast then bv again then yeast then a new doc tested me for ureaplasma...meds for that 4 times also ..gave meds to boyfriend for ureaplasma and bv and still nothing has worked!!!!!!!!! Im sooo sick of this. Makes me depressed. I have been tested for every std that there is.. and all are negative! I found this site and have come across a couple new things that I am going to try all natural...

I wanted to list some of my symptoms that i deal with on a daily basis...
-----breast tenderness..feels like right before u get ur period..and to mention i have a partial hysterectomy so should not be happening!

----frequent urination--doesnt burn..just have to pee constantly and lots of it. have now been put on detrol la to control this

----lower admonial pain--right where there should be an ovary but isnt...

-----lately lower back pain---its increasing! bought new matress ..still doesnt help

----smell of my vagina---it stinks and i NEVER use to have this problem...makes me feel embarrassed!

-----not so much of a discharge

-----itchyness in the vagina---i can always tell bv from yeast..they are very different itching!

----CONSTANT BODY ACHES...TAKE IBUPROFEN DAILY!!!

I need some input...ive read maybe this can be leucorrhoea that really has been causing all of this..makes sense!!! or just maybe is my hormones all out of wack...

I NEED SOME INPUT...MY DAY IS HELL.

any info someone can give me would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Lisa

+Quote Post
antonia
post May 6 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #497

Hi everyone, I too am a BV sufferer. I have utilized this thread for so much information : ) Thank you everyone, for sharing. I am writing with an update. I have been BV free for over a year now! I posted way back on 2/25/2009, reporting the following:

QUOTE(antonia @ Feb 25 2009, 03:52 AM) *

I finally found a regimen that is working for me to prevent BV.

Supplies - 800mcg Folic Acid (grocery store), Sliquid Feminine Wash unscented (drugstore.com), ph test strips 1-14 (got these at a local children's science museum gift shop), Astrogide gel (Walgreens), 10ml medicine syringe (local pharmacy) this is a oral medicine syringe and does not have a needle
  • Daily: 800mcg supplement of Folic Acid
  • Daily: the last thing I do in the shower, I wash my vulva with Sliquid Feminine Wash, unscented (ph of 4) and rinse with water
  • After period and as needed: I check my ph by putting a litmus paper inside my vagina. If it reads anything higher than 4, then I do a ph treatment
  • After sex: stand up afterward to dump out semen (ph 7-8). (Condoms are probably the best bet, but my bf and I are monogamous and I use an IUD, pulling out would be a second but he and I are really good at and enjoy coming at the same time) followed by ph treatment
  • ph treatment - fill a baby oral medicine syringe with 2ml of Astroglide gel (ph of 4), insert and dispense into vagina. I always do this after sex and any time vaginal ph is higher than 4.
By the way, I get recurring BV that usually clears up before my period and then comes back after. My main symptom is odor, but also some increased wetness is usually the first sign of raised ph, sometimes I get some swelling. Since I started folic acid and fem wash three months ago, I have had very little odor. Since adding the ph treatment I have had no odor and minor increased wetness.

It has been over a year and I have been able to eliminate almost everything on the list. All I do now is right after my period, if I notice any increased wetness I do a "ph treatment". Which for me is the Astroglide Gel, administered through the oral syringe. You can put it in there on a sex toy or finger, but it is not as effective in getting the full "dose" to stay in ... but way more fun ; )

For about 2 months I did everything on that list, then I eliminated the ph strips (I was able to tell if I had a ph imbalance by the increased wetness). Then after about 3 more months I stopped the post sex ph treatments. Then after a few more months I stopped the folic acid (well there's 400mcg folic in my multivit that I try to remember daily). A few months after that I stopped the fem wash opting for water only with the occassional femwash if I want it.
  • So, all I have to do now is be aware after my period for increased wetness, if I get that symptom I do a ph treatment (Astroglide Gel). Lately, this ph treatment has only been necessary every other month or so.

I don't even remember the last time I had BV odor. I am so happy ... hope this helps someone else since it is so cheap and easy to get my "ph treatment".

I've wanted to try a more natural or organic lube, but this has worked so well I don't want to try anything else. If you wanted to try another lube, test it's ph (the Astroglide gel is ph4) and consistency. Since the one I use is a gel, it is thicker which may be a contributing factor.

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Mar 24 2010, 05:21 PM
Post #498

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(neverending @ Mar 24 2010, 05:45 PM) *
Just because you have a "problem" with your ph does not mean you are not intelligent, beautiful or even sexy.

I really like that you said that. A lot of women develop a low self esteem and avoid social settings and avoid social activities, it's really sad; I've been there and I would know. It's very difficult to feel confident when you have an odor that makes you feel "dirty" and "unclean" (which others may smell if they sit close to you or near you) even though you probably have excellent hygiene. Something I learned for sure is poor vaginal hygiene is hardly ever the cause of a vaginal odor. It's usually caused by infection, your menstrual cycle, sex, vitamins, and other factors that usually don't involve hygiene, and of course you mentioned the pH being unbalanced.

I remember one time I tried to cover up my vaginal odor with baking soda (which by the way burned like crazy), deodorant, and perfume. The odor just became unbearable because it was mixing with the scents tongue.gif I think about that moment and I laugh because I was so desperate to cover up the odor that I ended up making the situation much, much worse.

Thank goodness there are more shows being done about vaginal health. I know Tyra did two of them, Oprah did one or two, and then there's the show The Doctors that also has a lot of segments on gynecology. Yay! People are being educated about vaginal health more and more these days. And oh my God, I can't believe how many women will go to a gynecologist complaining about a vaginal odor and the gynecologist will simply dismiss the problem and say it's all in their heads. Dr. Stewart actually says in her book to go in when the odor is at it's worst and consider not washing the day of your appointment just so the odor is more detectable and present.

--------------------
You can save $10 on your first purchase at iHerb if you use my referral code LUN601. Great selection of feminine hygiene products, candida/fungal/yeast products, and probiotics.

+Quote Post
neverending
post Mar 24 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #499

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(yme @ Nov 6 2009, 04:09 AM) *
I feel your pain the same thing happened to me "several times" with different doctors. They'd pat me on the shoulder and say "theres no smell you are fine" They treat me like I am a moron with crazy cell brains that only detect my smelly vagina. I know I smell bad, I know because when I get up its awful or when I too open my legs its smells so bad.

I'd take with the doctor prescribe and seek another doctor, its your body not theres only you know for sure and it sounds like to me that you are being honest about your symptoms they just refuse to listen!!!!

I went to docs who made it seem like nothing was wrong. Yes, they will make you seem like you are crazy but still give you a prescription so they get the commission, parties, etc off of the many meds you buy and take.

+Quote Post
neverending
post Mar 24 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #500

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(yme30 @ Nov 11 2009, 03:15 AM) *
I use a regular birth control pill everyday, it was given to me by my doctor to make my periods light

Same here. I started because I use to vomit, have horrible pain, and all kind of discomforts. It worked for that but who knew it would cause years of confusion and 100's of doctors appts.

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 21, 2014 - 07:53 AM