BUSTie

hi, anyone around still needing this thread? because i still do and smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
anika99890
post Feb 14 2009, 01:00 AM
Post #3

Hi,
This is anika. i newly join this site. its very interested and enjoy the site. its very useful to others. this site is a so qute. i like the site color.
Find the latest news about Depression, Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia. Discuss Mood Disorders topics with members of the Health Community.

===============================

anika

Manic Depression News and Discussion Forum

+Quote Post
gluelita
post Nov 2 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #4

BUSTie

hi, i have never taken abilify but i have taken a crapload of other bipolar meds. the trick is usually to just stick with it and side effects tend to go away after a while and the body adjusts. tel him to hang in there and it should get butter. plus with abilify he shouldn't have weight gain like is common with a lot of the others. *vibes for bro*

+Quote Post
McGoughly
post Oct 8 2007, 10:22 AM
Post #5

Hi. My brother just started taking 10mg of Abilify a day, but he's having trouble dealing with side effects--namely, jitteriness and a kind of mental cloudiness. Any recommendations on how to cope with these effects? Practical suggestions? Many thanks....

+Quote Post
oceangirl
post Oct 1 2007, 02:15 AM
Post #6

BUSTie

QUOTE(Lesbajew @ Jun 7 2007, 03:27 PM) *
So, I have a question: Would you give up the time you spent wrestling with bi-polar disorder? Despite all the pain it cause me, I don't think I would. I learned a lot about life from having it.

Yes yes I would give it up in a second.

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Sep 13 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #7

A symphony of atrocities.

I haven't really searched for patient assist programs. What I did was found a non profit agency through my states mental health services that specialized in mental health and they hooked me up. The two medications I know of that treat bipolar are Abilify and Seruquel. You could also try googling patient assistance.

Make sure your boyfriend is properly diagnosed then get a prescription then figure out how to pay for it.

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18

+Quote Post
annelise
post Sep 12 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

i'd tried patient assistance programs for my meds years ago (not for bipolar--difft health probs), but now i have coverage for my own. i never had any help from them, despite the applications and paperwork, until i went on an injectable med that would have cost thousands per month--the pharm rep knew the ins and outs of the system and got me set up.

i'm trying to read up on bipolar and the meds a bit so i can help out my bf, who was just diagnosed. i don't want the costs of things to prevent him from getting help that could improve his life! he'd been resistant to seeing a doc for a very long time, so i really want this to go right.

patient assistance programs are probably variable among drug companies, but would i be able to find them by googling? or would they be listed at needymeds.com? i haven't looked around that site much yet...

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Sep 12 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #9

Hey Annalise, have you tried to get on a patient assistance program for medication? I'm on Seruquel which costs about $250 a month. I get it for free from Astra-Zenica. All I had to do was fill out some paperwork, provide them with my taxes and proof I had ben turned down by medicare/caid. It's so easy there is really no excuse for not trying it. If you need help I can help you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
annelise
post Sep 11 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

thank you so much for starting this thread, deschatsrouge. it really helps to read about people who are going through this.

drugs seem ridiculously expensive, even with insurance, but it's good to hear that some people are really dramatically helped by them, once they find the right ones.

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Jun 12 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Lesbajew @ Jun 7 2007, 07:27 PM) *
I hate it when people look at me like I'm about to attack them . This is often combined with a "you seem perfectly fine". I'm not crazy!

I think that having this disorder has made me who I am today. The roller coaster of emotions, trips to the hospital, and trips to the therapist served to make me a better person, and I'm grateful for it. I would still be a sheltered and spoiled high schooler if I hadn't gone through that.

So, I have a question: Would you give up the time you spent wrestling with bi-polar disorder? Despite all the pain it cause me, I don't think I would. I learned a lot about life from having it.

Amen sister! I too think about how wrestiling with bipolar has shaped who I am. I can't tell you how much of what you said rang true. I too had to grow up because of how the disease affected me. I had to learn how to get my own help, get myself to the doctor, be my own advocate, and take my pills regularly because my parents couldn't help me. Dealing with bipolar forced me to grow up and get a grip. I too wouldn't change a thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
knorl05
post Jun 7 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

des & les: totally. people are so ignorant when it comes to mental health. actually any difference really. i was watching a program on a&e about some super tall woman (i think she was like record tall) and she said that people would talk about her right next to her "can you believe how tall she is? oh i think she just heard us talking about her" ..... she'd want to turn around and say 'i'm tall, not deaf'

i've always gotten the various prejudiced reactions, which caused me more frustration than the disorder itself. it's like i can be all cool and happy and at peace with myself and then someone comes along and has such a stupid reaction to me that it throws me off kilter. i want to get to a point where no matter what people's reactions to me are it will not phase me because i am that secure in myself. and i will let it all go because i realize it is simply the result of their ignorance, their uneducated, uncultured exposure to the world. and so then i feel sorry for them ;-P

i agree with your last statement les... i would not change any of it. i would actually omit some of it, but overall i am pleased with the intensity of my life and this disorder allows me so much more potential than 'normal' people, which enables me to live a more enriching existence. it's definitely made me a deep, empathetic, thoughtful person and these are great qualities to have IMO.

--------------------
We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
Lesbajew
post Jun 7 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #13

BUSTie

I hate it when people look at me like I'm about to attack them . This is often combined with a "you seem perfectly fine". I'm not crazy!

As said before, I've been to the hospital a couple of times, and people have the wrong idea when I tell them. For the last time, I was there for my safety, not because I tried to kill someone.

I get quite a bit of shit from other people with bi-polar when I try and talk with them because I happen to be highly functioning. "You don't understand." I've been through quite a bit of shit because of this disorder, yet because I have been fine for the past few months, they don't seem to believe me. I can see a lot of myself and what I used to be like in them. Rejecting therapists, loved ones, and meds. I've been thinking of going into therapy simply because I'm surprised how much I do understand.

I think that having this disorder has made me who I am today. The roller coaster of emotions, trips to the hospital, and trips to the therapist served to make me a better person, and I'm grateful for it. I would still be a sheltered and spoiled high schooler if I hadn't gone through that.

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 29 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #14

I get the whole pity thing. I also hate it when those same folks look at you like a rare bird because you are high functioning. I go to the doctor to pick up my meds and the nurses treat me as though I'm retarded and I'm going to attack them.

One time I was sitting on the bench out side the doctor waiting for my ride and the nurse shouted at me for all the world to hear that they had my meds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
knorl05
post May 15 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

so i'm not bipolar, but i do have a diagnosis as well. i hate labels so i dont feel the need to clarify. however.. know what my biggest pet peeve is? when 'non-complex/crazy' people PITY us. when they're like oh, too bad or some other contrived statement that lifts them to a plane of idealized normalcy. being this way isnt so bad.. sure it may suck some days but everyone has bad days. i'd rather be complex than simple.

--------------------
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
Lesbajew
post May 13 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #16

BUSTie

The disorder pretty much took over my life from the age 12 to just a few months ago. It was worst when I thirteen. I was the hospital twice, was in a RTC program, and attempted suicide three times. I was "self schooled"(a.k.a dropped out) for most of the second semester in eighth grade. Things got better when I entered high school. I was put into a special program, which I hated but did keep me from failing. I'm going to leave it at the end of this year.

I really thought meds couldn't help, but it turned out to be my savor. It's amazing how much better I am doing!

+Quote Post
knorl05
post Apr 21 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

hello my lovely lovelies. here is a documentary some of you may be interested to see... check it

--------------------
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
puppykitty
post Apr 11 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

I got my medication refilled the other day, and I feel better now.

I think you might be right about the mixed state. That is kind of how I feel. I have to call my doctor and see when I can see her again. She has been on vacation the past couple weeks.

I thought maybe I was wrong about the mania because of all the sleep I was getting. When I could actually fall asleep, I would sleep for 10-12 hours at a time, sometimes more. But while I was awake, I was feeling very high.

Before I started my medications, I wasn't able to work at all. I have been working full-time and doing very well for about 2 1/2 years. I just don't want the symptoms of whatever mental illness I may have to ruin this for me. I have a job right now that will look impressive on my resume if I can stick it out for a while and do well. It's just that the job is a bit stressful, and I am itching to move back to Chicago. That's where some of my family and friends live. I might have trouble finding a job unless I prove myself at the one I have now. Being sick is a challenge on top of the challenging work that I am doing. It adds to the stress level, and I'm afraid that people won't think I am any good at my job if I keep losing my focus because of mental illness.

I have shared with a couple of people at work about my illness, and they seemed to not think it was a big deal (as in, they don't think I am going to go on an axe-murdering rampage), so that's cool. But I don't want this to affect my job performance any more than it already has. I missed a few days of work, and I had that horrible night on Easter Sunday after running out of medication.

So, I hope my doc can balance out my medication so I will feel more stable and be able to focus more on my job.

--------------------
I'm like a Chocoholic, but for booze.

+Quote Post
oceangirl
post Apr 10 2007, 03:14 AM
Post #19

BUSTie

Puppykitty,

Ultra rapid-cycling is HORRIBLE. I've had it and I can relate - it's just horrible. You feel like you are losing your mind. It's hard to describe. You are manic one hour and severly depressed the next.

Could you be also experiencing mixed states? You can have depression and mania at the same time. Most people don't realize this but it's possible. Some doctors refer to it as "agitated depression". I have also had this. You feel depressed but revved up and have racing throughts. Your mood is low but you are energized. It is really bad situation to be in because it can lead to impulsive behaviour and suicide.

I have no experience with Schizoaffective disorder. I was at one point labeled "bipolar" and "bipolar 2". I now believe that my symptoms were caused by Lyme disease not a genuine bipolar condition...but I digress. I've been on numerous antidepressants. Definitely antidepressants can push you over into mania. I've had that happen twice. The first time it was hypomania and the second time it was almost full-blown mania (I've never had psychosis though that's why I don't call it full-blown mania).

It is also totally possible you were misdiagnosed. It happens all the time. I was only diagnosed with bipolar AFTER the antidepressants pushed me into mania. Before that I had never experienced anything remotely like a manic episode. Before antidepressants I was quite depressed/anxious but not manic. If you suddenly ran out of antidepressants that can make you feel really sick. You need to taper off them slowly if you are going to do that.

I can see the appeal of hypomania however I would never want to be hypomanic again. It only leads to destruction. If you start feeling worse is there any way you can get in to see the doctor sooner? Mania is not something you want to play with, especially not a mixed state.

Hope you're doing better today.

+Quote Post
puppykitty
post Apr 9 2007, 05:21 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi there. Is anyone still using this thread?

Anyway, several years ago, I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder. I was put on anti-psychotic and anti-depressant medications, and they worked very well for me. For the past several months, however, I have been experiencing some manic episodes. I have never in my life experienced a manic episode, and now I'm either fine or very very high and it changes frequently and rapidly. To tell you the truth, I like being manic, it feels good to me, but in reality, I am acting like a lunatic. It's not healthy at all. I act very impulsively and talk a lot and am a complete scatterbrain.

I'm wondering if I have been misdiagnosed, and if my antidepressants are pushing me over the edge into mania. With Schizoaffective Disorder, one experiences either depression or mania, along with psychosis, but to my knowledge, it's not both mania and depression. It's one or the other. Maybe I'm wrong though. Anyone know anything about this?

BTW, I take Abilify and Celexa. I took Lamictal once, but I got a rash and had to stop taking it. I guess it is not that unusual for that drug to cause an allergic reaction.

I talked to my case worker about my suspicions, and I have an appointment coming up in a couple weeks to see my doc. I hope to get this cleared up soon. I hate being unstable. It's just weird because I used to be perfectly stable on meds. It wasn't until about three months ago that I started rapidly cycling between mania and middle ground, with depression here and there.

I need to read more about bipolar, I guess, and see if my symptoms match up. It's just so confusing because all the mental illnesses start to seem the same after reading about a lot of them.

I had a particularly rough day today. I posted all about it in the OK thread. I ran out of my antidepressant and drank a lot a lot a really lot of caffeine to try to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms, only making the situation worse. It was pretty bad.

So anyway, just thought I would share. And see if anyone had any input.

--------------------
I'm like a Chocoholic, but for booze.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 23, 2014 - 07:54 AM