The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> antidepressants have nixed orgasms...any suggestions?
bonchicfeministe
post Jul 26 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #1

BUSTie

Nice to know that about Wellbutrinm, Zolga...I might keep that in mind for any future med switches I make though like you said will be sure that I have an available partner to get the side effects out with, ha!

So glad others noticed the exercise thing....I swear, for me, it was all about exercising. I think it makes perfect sense on both mental and physical levels. Even for people not on anti-depreseents, exercise should increase and improve your sex drive and life. And hey, there is no better motivation than better sex to get my ass to the gym!!

I think we might be on to a multi-million dollar exercise promotion marketing plan ladies!

QUOTE(bonchicfeministe @ Jul 26 2006, 12:27 PM) *

Nice to know that about Wellbutrin, Zoya..I might keep that in mind for any future med switches I make though like you said will be sure that I have an available partner to get the side effects out with, ha!

So glad others noticed the exercise thing....I swear, for me, it was all about exercising. I think it makes perfect sense on both mental and physical levels. Even for people not on anti-depreseents, exercise should increase and improve your sex drive and life. And hey, there is no better motivation than better sex to get my ass to the gym!!

I think we might be on to a multi-million dollar exercise promotion marketing plan ladies!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zoya
post Jul 25 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #2

uh huh.

...and then there is wellbutrin, which can have the side effect in some people of making them MORE horny. Which is exactly what it seems to be doing for me. I'm not complaining... however, it is pretty disconcerting to have gone from having what I'd consider a pretty normal, healthy libido to just thinking about it ALL THE TIME. I know it's the meds, because it took a little while to get the dosage right, and when we backed off the dosage a little prior to changing it, the all the time hornyness went away. Then when the dosage upped, back it came. Like I said, I'm certainly not complaining - but it would be nice if I had a sex parner to release some of this with!!! (I've had sex a couple of times since I've been on it, and it doens't seem to affect any orgasms - they seem to come just as before)

Other than that, I have had very little side effects and it's really nice to actually feel like getting out of bed in the morning, and to want to get out there and do things.

+Quote Post
zahia1996
post Jul 25 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #3

BUSTie

Ohh BFC- i think you're really on to something. I was on zoloft (SSRI) and Seroquel (anti-psychotic--ugh that makes it sound so bad!) a couple years ago and my sex drive really dwindled after a few months. I'm back on them again, at the same dosage, and don't notice any effect on my sex drive this time. The biggest difference between then and now, is that I get lots of regular excercise now. Also, I pay alot more attention to my diet, and which foods make me feel sluggish and all that. Its helped me stay more in tune with my body. Oh my co-workers would shudder in horror, but I have a desk job at work that gets reallllly boring sometimes. I do a lot of kegels throughout the day. Keeps the blood flowing down there and all that. I am still slower to orgasm than when I am med-free, but (so far) my drive is about the same. Actually, its a little better than when i was having bad manic/depressive swings.
I didn't even really think about the whole excercise connection until you mentioned it. Thanks! Its another reason to keep me motivated to lead a healthier life biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bonchicfeministe
post Jul 24 2006, 06:46 AM
Post #4

BUSTie

Hey all... I posted about antidepressents and my terrible experience going off one under the anti-depressent thread, but saw this and wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I've been on a few differnet meds, and have definately had the sexual side effects. I'm also on Seasonale, and have a feeling that between BC and the SSRI's, my libidio was not happy with me. Pretty sure both made the other worse, but who knows.

Anyways. I agree with the posters who said it's important to find one that works for you, and to do it carefuly so that you don't have any problems switching (see my other post if you want to hear a traumatic withdrawal cautionary tale). However, I've been on Prozac, Zoloft, and now a Citalopram (a form of Celexa) and had these issues with all of them. I'm on the lowest possible dose--at some points I"ve only taken half the dose b/c I'm so sensitie to the meds--and I still had sexual side effects. I really feel for you ladies who have it worse than I do/did.

What worked for me was, honestly, exercising more. I nkow that's probably an individual thing, but it got my blood going, made me more aware of my body, and lifted my depression even more--after all, exercise is supposed to be THE best thing for depression. I think that aside from making my body feel healthier, it really helped make me happier from all those endorphines. Plus I had more energy from being healthier. It also helped that my boyfriend was incredibly supportive, and would do whatever he could to get me in the mood, whehter that meant long massages, or whatever. he was also great about never saying anything to pressure me about it. He was so wonderful, I don' tknow how he did.

I'm happy to say that for the past several months, with my new exercise regime, I have been as randy and orgasmic as ever....I"m definattely back in full form! I hope you find something that works for you. I know how frustrating it can be, and maybe these suggestions might help you out. Definately see a dr thought if you're truly unhappy. And don't let them dismiss you. M y dr always dismissed me, saying htat 23 year olds shouldn't be worried about their sex drive because we shouldn't even be having sex...but that's another story.

Acutally, I"d love to start a link on doctor horror stories, because BOY do I have some good ones. Anyone like that idea?

+Quote Post
dgoncz
post Jul 4 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #5

smurfin wrote (in part):
-----
Hi people! Thought I'd throw in my 2 (euro)cents:

(snip)
As a general rule: if a side effect of your antidepressant is making you feel unhappy, it's a definite reason for talking to your doctor. It can take a bit of switching around, and it is possible that one drug does not have the same effect on *you* as another, even if they're from the same class or if their side-effect spectra are the same.
----------
Definitely worth the difficulty of switching, but if you have one that works for you, and you have sexual side effects, sex therapy can retrain your responses. I had retarded ejaculations with Lexapro, but have retrained so now I should be able to take that one. I am so social when I take Lexapro. However, caveat, do not taper or switch without supervision; it must be done at the right *rate*. (In general about 10% of your dose per week, lots of cutting pils and alternating doses with such a regimen.)

The Dougster

+Quote Post
boswr
post May 28 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #6

I attended ISWISSH which the women's sexual health conference where all the science is discussed. They were all talking about Zestra and its clinical study underway now that has been accepted by the National Institute of Health:
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00118495?order=1
They are also studying the effects of satisfactory sex on depression in women. But also, the conversation is Zestra works on sensation and is topical and no drugs or hormones. So I tried it. I can take my anti depressants and still have great sex with Zestra---Anti depressants will have a negatie effect on sensation. Zestra works on giving us back sensation---try it Crys:

+Quote Post
smurfin
post May 12 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #7

BUSTie

Hi people! Thought I'd throw in my 2 (euro)cents:

According to the 'farmacotherapeutisch kompas'(farmacotherapeutic compas, aka 'the bible' for Dutch MDs) the following antidepressants more often give side effects on the patient's sex life (libido, erectile dysfunction, inability to reach orgasm, etc) than others:

escitalopram (Lexapro)
citalopram (Celexa)
fluoxetine (Prozac)
paroxetine (Seroxat) and
sertraline (Zoloft).

However, as far as I could tell nearly all SSRIs and TCAs *can* give these side effects.

Bupropion (Wellbutrin/Zyban) is the only one that I saw that didn't have any mention of side effects in the sexual sphere. Funnily enough, it's also not registered for use as an antidepressant in the Netherlands, just as an aide to stop smoking.

There are some antidepressants (I think I saw 2 or three, going through the Dutch list) that do not have any effect on sex lives. However, it seems that they are rarely used because of their more serious other side effects (at least one of them is a so-called MAO-inhibitor, which is a class of drugs that are only used if other drugs did not work).

As a general rule: if a side effect of your antidepressant is making you feel unhappy, it's a definite reason for talking to your doctor. It can take a bit of switching around, and it is possible that one drug does not have the same effect on *you* as another, even if they're from the same class or if their side-effect spectra are the same.

Good luck to everyone!

+Quote Post
maddy29
post May 12 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

i'm on celexa too, 60 mg, but i started at just 10 mg. i hardly noticed a difference at all on the 10, but once i got up to 20-30 i noticed. it did take a while for it to kick in though. it didn't make me sleepy, but i had some weird dizziness at first....

+Quote Post
jess85
post May 11 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #9

Started taking Celexa 2 days ago. I'm yawning constantly for some reason and I already have a decreased sex drive. I'm 20 years old female for God Sakes! Does anyone think it just needs to kick in a start working still and Ill be ok? Please help!

+Quote Post
groben1548
post May 8 2006, 09:46 AM
Post #10

I saw this on my local news station last night, it really is very interesting!!!

"From taboo to temptation, it used to be sinful to talk about sex. But the rules have changed. Now, sex is often the subject of girl talk. Married just two years, 54-year-old Katya Sullivan lost her sex drive. Find out what she did to change all that..."

You can read the rest here: http://www2.wsvn.com/features/articles/specialreport/MI19788/

I hope this helps!!! - Gail

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 29, 2014 - 05:30 AM