Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
bvgirl
post Apr 13 2007, 05:57 PM
Post #4001

BUSTie

QUOTE(Eralc Alegna @ Apr 12 2007, 08:45 PM) *
FYI to all -

I went in today to pick up my aci-jel refill and asked the pharmacist about the discontinuation. She looked something up and said that it appears that aci-jel in it's jelly form will be discontinued (again, i get a generic "acidic vaginal jelly" that apparantly is still and will still *fingers crossed* be manufactured) but that they will begin to or continue to make a douche. I have never heard of an acidic douche to regulate pH levels, but she made it sound as if the makers of aci-jel produce one.

Just thought I'd clear that up as much as I could for those interested. I don't know where the douche is available though.

P.S. while I still have no smell and minimal/normal discharge, I PANIC every time i feel any present. It doesn't seem to produce evenly throughout the day but instead comes in little noticable blobs (for lack of a better word). Every time i feel anything I have to go run and check to see if it looks and smells normal. While I am fixed currently and SOOOO relieved, the fear of it returning at any moment constantly plauges me!

I would like to thank you again Alegna.. I got the acidic jelly today and if or when the yeast arrest stops working then I will try the jelly.. Thank you for informing me on the generic brand..

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post Apr 13 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #4002

BUSTie

QUOTE(BubbaLove @ Apr 13 2007, 09:49 AM) *
Well just to update everyone, after using the one dosage of Clindesse cream, I still have not gotten the smelly discharge, however my clear regular discharge kind of has a faint cat food smell.. lol cat food is all I think of when I smell it. Is this a normal smell??? It's like sweat mixed with faint cat food.. blink.gif

Well, the vagina does have a smell and that is normal. But when it smells foul I believe that is a common sign of an imbalanced ph and or it may be an std. But from my experience and what I was told and read a foul odor is not normal.

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
neverending
post Apr 13 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #4003

Hardcore BUSTie

I was told that it's should smell like sea salt but I don't know if that's correct!

+Quote Post
BubbaLove
post Apr 13 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #4004

Well just to update everyone, after using the one dosage of Clindesse cream, I still have not gotten the smelly discharge, however my clear regular discharge kind of has a faint cat food smell.. lol cat food is all I think of when I smell it. Is this a normal smell??? It's like sweat mixed with faint cat food.. blink.gif

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post Apr 12 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #4005

BUSTie

Thank you Eralc for that information. I called Walgreens and talked with the pharmacist and yes he has the generic brand in stock and it is available. So I have to call my doctor in the morning and tell him that a generic brand is available. What I dont understand is why they could not research or at least check out to see if a generic brand was available? They do it for other prescriptions.. Well, I really appreciate the information...
I will be around..

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
Eralc Alegna
post Apr 12 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #4006

BUSTie

FYI to all -

I went in today to pick up my aci-jel refill and asked the pharmacist about the discontinuation. She looked something up and said that it appears that aci-jel in it's jelly form will be discontinued (again, i get a generic "acidic vaginal jelly" that apparantly is still and will still *fingers crossed* be manufactured) but that they will begin to or continue to make a douche. I have never heard of an acidic douche to regulate pH levels, but she made it sound as if the makers of aci-jel produce one.

Just thought I'd clear that up as much as I could for those interested. I don't know where the douche is available though.

P.S. while I still have no smell and minimal/normal discharge, I PANIC every time i feel any present. It doesn't seem to produce evenly throughout the day but instead comes in little noticable blobs (for lack of a better word). Every time i feel anything I have to go run and check to see if it looks and smells normal. While I am fixed currently and SOOOO relieved, the fear of it returning at any moment constantly plauges me!

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post Apr 12 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #4007

BUSTie

Hello Morpia..

To answer your question I believe and it has been reported that you can have bv and not have all or any symptons. A little background about me: I have been dealing with bv since I was about 25 and I am 35 now. I have been diagnosed with all of the below since 25: Vaginitis,Vulvovaginitis,Gardenerella,Dysplasia,Acute Vaginitis,Non-Specific Vaginitis...
So apparently, it appears to me that they have a wide terminalogy for BV they just like to dress it up with different names when actually it is BV. It just makes me sick that they have created all these names for the same problem but do not have an exact cure for this ph imbalance. If they know that it is directly related to our ph balance and how to maintain it why can they not find and or create a medicine that will fix this. Some of the doctors we go to have no answers to this but yet in still they look at us like we are crazy or just dismiss it. I got a piece of advice for those health professions who look at us strange or care not to help us they should just quit and leave it to the real professional who want to help us...I wonder where they are because I have ben going to the gyno since I was 16 and I have not ran into any who take an active role into helping me with whatever questions I have I always had to ask my girlfriends or even my mother. If they just stop looking at us as a number and money in their pockets then maybe we will be respected more as women with real concerns who want real answers.

All I can say ladies is just hang in there and keep looking into other products that can at least help you periodically with these symptoms. I know I am...
I will be around...

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
Morphia
post Apr 12 2007, 12:37 AM
Post #4008

Hardcore BUSTie

Hello girls. I just finished reading this entire thread. It took me 2 days. I found it while doing a search for personal experiences with Clindesse. Allow me to tell my story. It will be long.

I'm 21 years old and over a year ago I had a really bad sinus infection and was treated for six weeks with 4,000mg of Augmenting per day. It got rid of the infection and I took diflucan for the yeast and all seemed well. At around this same time I had to have laser surgery on my vulva for a precancerous condition called VIN. (This is a condition that is prevalent among women in their 50s and older but since I am an alcoholic and a smoker-just quit about a month ago-I developed it at a very young age.) Shortly after my surgery and about 3 months after my antibiotics I went on a 3 month long drinking binge. The heaviest of my life...I became ill and when I quit the drinking the symptoms got worse. I put on so much weight and my hair was falling out on my head but I was getting hair other places like my face. My eyebrows were falling out too. Always soooooo fatigued. I also got what I KNEW were yeast infections. Thick white discharge, odorless, burning, seemed to respond to diflucan. Well about 6 months after I became ill things seemed to settle down (a little too much in some aspects). My head hair started falling out less but eyebrows still keep falling out and my body hair grows SLOOOOOOW and I'm still so fatigued. Then I met someone and became sexually active for the first time in a year. But I was having pain during sex and getting white discharge. The discharge never drips into my underwear. I have to get a mirror and look in there and I can see a thick, smooth, white discharge. Its way up there and its completely odorless so I thought yeast. I also noticed though, that when I got sexually aroused my secretions were crystal clear. Anyway, I would take diflucan but the burning was still there. I've been tested for autoimmune diseases, diabetes and thyroid disorders. All of my tests say I'm perfectly healthy. Until I went to this new doctor a couple of months ago who did a complete blood count and found that my white blood cell count was elevated which is indicative of a continued infection. So she put me on amoxicillin for 2 weeks. Still no improvement in symptoms. Next, Augmentin for 10 days. Still nothing. But I did continue to have what I thought was yeast, so I called my doctor and he prescribed 7 day terazol and more diflucan. I did that, and on my last night of the terazol I drank and had sex...the next day the burning was TERRIBLE. This time I really had to go in and get a diagnosis, so I went to my doc, he did a wet prep and lo and behold yeast. I'd had it confirmed, I'd been suffering with yeast this whole time. Or so I thought, I suppose. So he gave me more diflucan and this new one dose stuff called gynazole. I scheduled a follow up appointment with him 2 weeks later to make sure this stuff was GONE! And while I was on the yeast meds I took garlic and cut out ALL carbs. The burning subsided substantially but I still had this vague burning, like the burning I'd been feeling for the past year and 3 months...So I just KNEW the "yeast" was still there, just probably in a tamer state. I went to the appointment and he looked in there and said it looked like the yeast was still there. He informed me that he was going to do TWO tests. First a wet prep and then this new DNA test that is definite. He said with this test I either have yeast or I don't. Well the wet prep came back negative for anything so I went home and waited for them to call me with the results of this new DNA test. They called and guess what this sensitive test had picked up? Gardnerella. I suspect that the entire time I and my gyno (even my obyn oncologist was giving me visual diagnoses of yeast) had been treating me for yeast I actually had this the entire time. I've been prescribed Clindesse and diflucan but after all that I've been through with the drinking and the antibiotics, after all the drinking I did, after reading about all of you here, and because I'm still sick with some mysterious condition I'm sure that I'm probably going to be fighting this to the death. I'm sorry this was SOOOOOOOOO long but I wanted to give you my background. I've also noticed that since I've been on the Clindesse that I've even had an improvement in my urinary tract. Before it seemed that I had a UTI all the time (despite negative results on urinalysis). I was having urinary frequency/mild burning inability to empty properly, and what looked like tissue paper in my urine for the entire time that I've had these "yeast" infections and I just now am starting to feel that I can pee normally! Although I won't keep my hopes up. This Clindesse seems to be leaking out constantly and I just took it yesterday. The Gynazole uses the exact same technology and I don't remember any leakage at all. But then again I did start my period about 8 days after I took it. Its just messed up that even after the 2 wet preps and after all the paps that I've had that it took a highly sensitive "DNA test" to catch this stuff. I wonder why? I also wanted to mention that I've just recently been diagnosed with cervical dysplasia as well and go in for a colposcopy on the 19th. Ok! Ok! I'll shut up now. Once again I'm sorry. lol. Thank you for taking your valuable time to read this. I'll be sticking around to let you know how everything goes.

I do have a couple of questions before I go. Do you think its likely, that since I've had this for so long, that I really could end up battling this for a long time? Or do you think its possible that the Gardnerella wasn't caught till now because its low grade therefore easier to manage? I also was wondering if most of you here were actually diagnosed as having the Gardnerella variety of BV or something else. Thanks again!

[Edit] I take back what I said about being able to pee normally. That seems to have only lasted about a day and half...It doesn't burn but my stream is weird and I don't seem to be emptying as much. Oh, well....

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post Apr 11 2007, 04:26 PM
Post #4009

BUSTie

Hello Eralc Alegna...
I know exactly what you mean mad.gif mad.gif even though I have not used the product yet but what I am reading so far is that it works and I dont see why it would not because it keeps the ph balance normal. I will continue to bother pharmacist and find out more about this discontinued status. Like I stated before I would really be content with any product as long as it is working for me and provides relief with that being said I also think that since there is not an exact cure and or an exact product that would help us all I do believe that we should all continue to try out and research products to bring relief from this bv.
I am glad that some have found a product that works well for them and those who have not please,please continue to try out products and continue reading this board you will find some relief eventually. This board has been very very helpful..
I am glad that the yeast arrest has been a relief for me so far(NO SMELL AT ALL) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif but I will not limit myself to just one product because well I just want to have what is available so I can fight this bv war strong...
I will be around
Take care & Keep on trying out products....Relief is near...

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
Eralc Alegna
post Apr 11 2007, 01:31 PM
Post #4010

BUSTie

bvgirl- I don't actually have name-brand aci-jel just the generic equivalent "acidic vaginal jelly" because it's cheaper. Hopefully this generic version is going to continue to be made because with all the research done to prove that the pH is the key to all of this WHY THE FUCK WOULD THEY WANT TO TAKE IT AWAY!?!?!?!?!?!
sorry, but it makes me very angry that everyone seems to be against us and actively trying to prevent us from curing this!

+Quote Post
neverending
post Apr 11 2007, 07:43 AM
Post #4011

Hardcore BUSTie

justanothergirl: No, tell everyone what works for you! Maybe someone else can benefit from just douching. I wish that had been the case for me but I had it bad. It was horrible! Anyway, stay on the board and let everyone know what you've tried and what you plan on doing next. wink.gif

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post Apr 11 2007, 06:40 AM
Post #4012

BUSTie

Thank you for the website information. I called a second walgreens pharmacy and asked them why is the ACI-JEL still in your library if it is discontinued and why is it still available to purchase online. He was very helpful he called the manufacturer direct and sure enough it has been discontinued meaning that they will not make anymore of this product. So he says that all pharmacies and websites who are selling it will just continue to sell it until they have no more so when they have completely sold all of this product there will be no more. So I asked the pharmacist if they will replace this product with a better one or new name (you know how those pharmaceutical companies are) and he said that they have not released any information regarding this product. He also told me to keep checking other pharmacies to see if they have it in stock and call my doctor back
and tell him where the product is then he will prescribe it for me(cheaper that way because all I would have to do is pay a co-pay).My doctor already approved that he will prescribe it for me I just have to locate it at a pharmacy.
I am still using the "Yeast Arrest" and it is still working GREAT...NO SMELL AT ALL STILL AFTER ONE WEEK laugh.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif ... So I will continue with this and keep you updated. I just wanted to have ACI-JEL in my aresenal of products to use for this chronic bv. Also, I am continuing to take the Primadophillus and eating yogurt and no deodorant pantiliners what so ever. This is not a cure and who knows if they will ever find an absolute cure but until then however you get relief MORE POWER TO YOU....
I will be around...
Thank you Jewelscando.. If I cannot get it through a prescription then I will go online ..Thanks

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Apr 10 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #4013

Hardcore BUSTie

If you go to Walgreens website, you can order it online, by giving them your doctors information and phone number. I PERSONALLY, didn't complete my order, because I'm waiting to see what success I have with the vaginal Flagyl. BUT, just because you can order online, doesn't mean it's available. I checked online right now, and it's been discontinued IN THE UK. It's still available in the states. Here's a couple of websites also that I found where you can order it.

http://www.walgreens.com/library/finddrug/...larDrug=Aci-Jel

http://www.nz-online-pharmacy.com/pharmacy...acks-p-184.html

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,39...252Djel,00.html

http://www.strandarcadepharmacy.co.nz/c/21...inal-jelly.html

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-7643-Aci-J...me=Aci-Jel+Vagl

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post Apr 10 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #4014

BUSTie

QUOTE(Eralc Alegna @ Apr 9 2007, 11:16 AM)
I'm so happy for everyone getting results with the vaginal flagyl and whatever else is working for you ladies!! Particularly you, Deprime. I know you've probably had a harder time with this than most. It's incredible that so many of us have found relief and so many newcomers have had such quick success as a result!!!!!

To those cured for the meantime and looking for a maintence routine, I HIGHLY recommend getting your hands on some aci-jel. For some reason the antibiotics worked for me this time, but I'm using the aci-jel to keep it away and so far it's working. Once I go through another cycle and a month or so passes and I have another period we'll see if it holds up. But we all know it's all about the pH and this is specifically made to keep it where it's supposed to be.
I've been using it for probably a week and a half or so now nightly (missed 2-3 nights there but got back on track last night) and I have no smell with a little( normal level ) discharge. I get worried sometimes just because the color is still off, but it could be old blood or the aci-jel. Unfortunatly the color of the aci-jel resembles the color of the discharge I used to have sometimes. ANYWAY, besides that and sex being a little uncomfortable now (not broken in again yet, aci-jel, all the crap i put up there, who knows but Im a little raw i guess) things are back to normal here and I couldn't be happier about it!!!!!

I called my doctor about aci-jel and he told me that it was discontinued by the manufactuer. I called the pharmacy and he looked it up and stated the same thing. I asked them when was it discontinued but there was no date available. So I was wondering when was it that you purchased this product and where.
Thank you in advance

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
justanothergirl
post Apr 10 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #4015

thank you neverending, well then obviously its not good advice for me to tell anyone else to use douche....just i cant find anything that works either..but when I use that..it temporarily takes the smell away...I used it 5 days ago..and have not had the smell since..it WILL return..and very soon..but those 5 days without..im grateful for....the way I think of it..is that its the discharge that is causing the order...so if you clean/rinse out the discharge..u get a break from the smell for a bit..until it has time for more to accumulate. (stupid sounding im sure...) but in my case it provides a few days relief. Until i find a cure for it.
Thank you for the welcome thou....been here for a long time..just been silent ...might go back to that lol so i dont give bad advice smile.gif

+Quote Post
neverending
post Apr 10 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #4016

Hardcore BUSTie

Welcome to the board! I just wanted to say that when I had Bv DOUCHING WAS THE WORST. I would douche and the bv came back 20 min later and the smell was even worse. I don't think douching is a good idea for those still suffering with this illness. I think a lot has to do with hormones, ph, and Inflammation. For some,(like me) no matter what treatment we tried it probably would not have ever worked because our hormones were out of whack and that had a lot to do with the ph being off balanced. For others, I have no clue! I always suspected my was hormone related because I never had problems until I got off birth control.I hope this helps those that read this forum. If you suspect it's hormone related keep pressuring the doctors because to be honest they don't know everything and everyone's body is different. If I took the doctor's word (that it was not hormone related) I would still have bv.

+Quote Post
justanothergirl
post Apr 10 2007, 11:02 AM
Post #4017

hey gang,
Ive been reading, watching the board...well forever...like allot of people Im sure. I just wanted to add a few things...I was wondering if it wouldnt be helpful if we all answered the same questions..to kinda pin point what we all have in common that started this embarrassing thing in the first place...I think randomly people mention but it would be nice if we all addressed the same questions..and then what brings a reoccurance after we find a temporary fix. Perhaps you have already did this?
I can tell you that im 38 and never had this problem until 5 months ago..when i started seeing someone new...and started having unprotected sex with him..before this..i ALWAYS used a condom...I always used douches...and purfumey body washes..and NEVER had this problem... I prided myself with always being so fresh in that way...all my life..so the idea that douching contributes i think is foolish.(the doctors tell us this..the same doctors that think were nutz when we talk to them about this)..i also want to add that...when i use a douch now..it provides about as long as a break from BV ..as some of u girls get from your various method. Our ph or flora is already messed up...it cant make it worst...and is allot less stressful then the different antibiotics and such...just my opinion but if u want a quick fix for a few days..DOUCH...it works..i used it ALL my life...and never had BV..until i started seeing this man.
The questions i think we could all answer (if anyone thought this might be helpful like i do) is ...did you start with a new partner...when this started..did you start having unprotected sex...did your partner go inside of u (gawd i know this is way to personal) , do you suspect your partner is unfaithful (this i mention because obviously he could have passed this onto us from the other partner)
I didnt notice anyone on this board or ANY other (and yes i read EVERYTHING to try and cure ths stupid stupid thing) say they got it from perfume soaps or douching...most often i see it mentioned a new partner or cheating partner. and in regards to douching, if anyone suggests that...there is bacterias there that should not be washed with a douche, because the body does it naturally..well so does our mouth..and we wash that daily...and it has its own healthy bacteria as well...so again i repeat that all my life I used these and prided myself on never having any problems like this. Mine cleary started because of this new partner..or the lack of a condom during sex with the new partner.
Also I know it has been mentioned that virgins can get this also..but correct me if im wrong but ive heard/read about 2 differnt types of BV...like when i went to the doctor..they said its typically a fishy smell..well i wish thats all it was for me and many of the other ppl that have it..but it is mostly a funky smell...thats the worst one..and that can be noticed from far away. I personally think the funky one is somehow associated with our partner..ok ill admit it..i wanna pass the blame onto them lol...I know also that lesbians often get this as well..so thats why i wonder about the "cheating" idea..maybe if we are with an unfaithful partner..or someoen who recently had sex with another girl..that somehow it gets passed and mixed with our stuff and messes up our balance. (i know silly and i hope im wrong on that idea)
Hope im not out of line..i just thought if were looking for a cure..why not try to pin point more what brought it on in the first place..so we know what might need to be changed..or altered....find the source....better chance to find a cure. if we figure out if we all or most have something in common in this regard..

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Apr 9 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #4018

Hardcore BUSTie

deprime, let me know how that goes for you. i didn't insert another one tonight because i think i am getting a yeast infection and that might be why i am smelling a little bit. but i started my period so i'm going to get rid of the yeast infection (if that's what it is) and see if the smell is still there after my period is over.

+Quote Post
deprime
post Apr 9 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #4019

BUSTie

anitsirhc: I inserted one tonight (500mg) in addition to taking one orally -- I figure that I'll give it a go from both ends for a week to see how everything turns out. The nurse midwife I saw encouraged me to get to know my vagina and what works for me, so I'm going to experiment with the Flagyl for a while.

Jewels, thanks for the advice.... we will overcome this!

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Apr 9 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #4020

Hardcore BUSTie

deprime, i smelt a little bit today too sad.gif the last pill i put in was on wednesday. now it's monday, it was gone for a few days and now it's back so i think i might put half of one in tonight. or maybe i should wait till after my period. does it smell if you have a yeast infection too? i haven't had that many yeast infections so i don't know. i kind of feel like i'm getting a yeast infection now cause it started itching last night and now today i have that itchy/burning feeling. i think since i'm supposed to get my period tomorrow, i will wait till after my period and see if i have a yeast infection and then maybe put in another one if i still smell it. but jewels you said the first time you did it you put 3 in. so maybe i will just put a 3rd one in tonight, it's been 5 days since i put in the last one. ahhh i don't know what to do!!

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 199 200 201 202 203 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 20, 2014 - 03:47 AM