The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 90 91 92 93 94 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
pepper
post Aug 9 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #1821

favourite jeans that have lasted me forever, $20 at suzy shier. say no more.
i'm not a punk or a hippy on the outside anymore, heck i work at the bank, but i still won't buy things new (except for underwear, socks and shoes). and may i say i look fabulous dahling!

a woman came into the store today (my 2nd part-time job) looking for yoga pants. she couldn't find them anywhere in town for less than $200 buck she said, then she made the casual comment that she wears them "every day". ugh. yoga pants are for YOGA not for wearing every day. damn stupid ugly fashion statement that one is. worse than the crocs by far. work out clothes in public grrr *pet peeve*.

not so down with the casual racist comment below however. gonna give the benefit of the doubt here but i'm still voicing my reaction so don't anybody jump all over me ok?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maimy
post Aug 9 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #1822

Hardcore BUSTie

Word, Wombat. Spending money on a great piece of clothing is great, and I do it myself now that I am able to somewhat. But I wasn't able to until pretty much NOW, in my life, and nobody's mistaken me for alterna-chick recently. The very state of being financially established enough to be able to AFFORD designer or custom or whatever pieces goes against everything I ever understood to be subversive or subculture when I was a kid. But I do see kids NOW whose subculture is prefab and/or very expensive, and the look is completely different, even in those who are emulating a very old version of rebellion. They may still be rebelling, to be sure - but they're subsidized differently, and the array of what's readily available right off a hundred racks is vastly different than anything we had twenty or twenty-five years ago.

[\rant mode]

+Quote Post
wombat
post Aug 9 2006, 08:32 AM
Post #1823

Dragon Velocity

I agree on the principle of paying money for quality, comfort, style and practicality. I have a pair of Wrangler jeans that are made from thick, soft, real denim, really sturdy, gorgreous color blue, neither faded nor too dark, that fit over my pot belly and fit not too tight and not too lose on my nice butt and legs and are not bellbottoms nor too short. They move with me beautifully. They are entirely comfortable.

I bought these for five dollars at a thrift store.

They have lasted me for five years with no holes or anything. Getting good jeans is cool, paying 200 or 300 dollars is not necessary to do that. I hate them for ganging up on us and charging us that much effing money.

Also, we would buy engineer boots or biker boots -- knee high, black, wooden heels, thick, real leather.
they cost about 80 dollars, You could wear them for years. Buy oil and polish to keep them supple, getting a hole through them or letting the leather crack is a real waste. Go to a shoemaker, the inexpensive immigrant ones in our neighborhood, not the la di dah ones, and get rubber soles and heels installed and maintained. Wear them -- up to the knee, with stove pipe jeans of blue or black rolled above (engineer boots) or tucked in (biker boots).

Yes, good in a fight, I kicked the shins of a girl in front of a stage once who grabbed me and would not let go even though I told her to several times with increasing severity and tried to get her off me other ways as well. Yes, satisfying it is. You could also get work boots for 30 dollars -- just paint them or something. With steel toes or not. Doc Marten's are 30-40 dollar work boots (that were just as solid and you could decorate them yourself) being sold for more money because of trend/image factor.

I spent 80 to 100 dollars for a black leather biker jacket and really felt like I was spending money. But I got it a size bigger so I could wear a hooded sweatshirt under it in the winter and be able to wear it three seasons of the year. The pockets are handy, and its protective both on the street and in clubs. Put Lexol or Mink oil or Neat's foot oil on it and it will slick off the rain without absorbing silicone from some bullshit waterproofing product.

My point is, not to put you down for wearing Docs or for wanting quality and wear and attractiveness, my point was that there is an attitude these days that being "alternative" is all about who can spend a lot of money -- and that is not "alternative" AT ALL.

The whole point of being punk or hippie or any other kind of alternative culture was NOT TO SPEND A LOT OF MONEY and that YOU DON'T NEED MONEY AND CONFORMITY TO BE COOL and RICH PEOPLE ARE NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT better than POOR PEOPLE.

Sometimes, that point seems lost and that is what irritates me.

I'm not trying to be an old curmudgeon, per SE. I'm an old curmudgeon for the sake of that essential concept and value.

Sign me Not Stupid

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
sixelacat
post Aug 9 2006, 06:36 AM
Post #1824

Creating demon-radical feminist hybrids since 1974

I could never afford the Docs around here, so I settled for a pair of black steel-toed boots made by Mac (the tractor-trailer/lorry manufacturer). They became my absolute favorite a few years ago when I was assaulted in the all-night laundrette and a misplaced kick (I was aiming for his crotch) broke his shin. Very satisfying sound, btw, and dropped him like a rock! I LOVE my steel-toed boots!

Ahem. Back to your regularly scheduled CoF:

Lady came into my work yesterday in traffic cone orange muumuu, with matching bandana on her head. Blinding.

--------------------
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!

+Quote Post
mornington
post Aug 9 2006, 05:48 AM
Post #1825

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

my darlings are mid-calf, with an eye painted on each side - and barbed wire. I love the painted dms. I also have a pair of patent knee-highs that make me look like a butch hooker, and that I've always wanted to modify myself.

+Quote Post
punkerplus
post Aug 9 2006, 05:05 AM
Post #1826

Hardcore BUSTie

Theres a pair of docs I've always wanted since I was about 13 and they cost £115. If I could find them again, I'd consider spending that much. They are knee high, cherry red, and have a manga girls face airbrushed on the side.

+Quote Post
mornington
post Aug 9 2006, 04:31 AM
Post #1827

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

The reason doc martens now cost as much as they do is that - until about two years ago at least - they were still made in England, and the factory workers used to get a damned good wage. I used to live just down the road from the factory. Combined with inflation, and the simple fact that people are willing to spend £50 on a pair of shoes that will outlive them. The most I've ever paid for my docs was £90 (I think) and they're limited edition jobbies. I love 'em to pieces. The least I've ever paid was fifteen quid for a pair from the factory shop.

What bunny said about the good jeans is true. They last. I pay more because I want jeans that actually damn well fit. I tend to look at clothes in a cost-per-wear basis (shoes... not so much tongue.gif ).

Anyway, back to the CoF... lady seen two days running. Outfit Numero Uno: lime green suit. lime freaking green from head to toe. Accessorized with a lovely handbag in a baby pink and baby blue check. Outfit Numero Duo: Floral kaftan that ended at just the wrong point on her hips, white trousers (this lady works in the City, not on the freaking beach). The same bloody handbag, still clashing beyond all belief.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Aug 9 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #1828

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

Oh, gross generalisation.

Good jeans last and look good as fuck, simple as.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
punkerplus
post Aug 9 2006, 03:28 AM
Post #1829

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey! I used to have a pair of diesel jeans that cost me £70 and never once have a begrudged paying it because I wore them all the time and they last years and were my favourite jeans ever. They made my non-existant arse look curvy, they went with all my tops, and they were soooo comfortable. If I could find that style again, I would spend the same amount.

Same goes for doc martens. I spent £60 on a pair and I'm not ashamed of that. They are going to last a hell of a lot longer than lots of silly high heels that cost more, and aren't going to deform my hip or feet. I can wear them for 12 hours and my feet stay cosy and comfortable and to me that is definitely worth the money.

And "rich europeans with bad teeth"? Really? I thought that teeth thing had died?

Anyway, back to the CoF - crocs have totally hit the UK. In the past week I have seen at least 20 pairs! It seems to be an invasion that followed gauchos.

+Quote Post
wombat
post Aug 8 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #1830

Dragon Velocity

Yes, yes, they would be seen wearing Diesel because it's not recognizable as a "brand name" -- they have jeans that look torn and oil-stained and cost 300 dollars a pair, etc. We used to make fun of Diesel because pretentious rich europeans with bad teeth would buy it thinking they were buying cool, casual American kid clothing, meanwhile, no cool casual American kid would ever spend that much for a pair of effin' jeans.

Now, of course, they sell Diesel in department stores and SOME of their items probably do have logos on them. Also, so-called hipsters are spooging all over "Sevens" or "Paper" or what have you... jeans that cost... several hundred dollars. Really, there is no end to the idiotic pretensions of pampered "hipsters" out slumming.

That could almost be a whole thread.

example: Doc Marten's were worn in the LATER years by small-town "punk" adopters in Britain because they only cost 20 dollars a pair -- then american suburban kids were thinking Doc Marten's were the "official punk shoe of original punks" and paying 80 -100 dollars for them.

argh! That whole aspect of fashion puts me straight into Cobville

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
bustygirl
post Aug 8 2006, 08:05 AM
Post #1831

Hardcore BUSTie

I haven't heard the word trustafarians for years. It used to make me laugh how much reggae these idiots would listen to, considering how quite a few RAStafarians hate (with good reason) white people.

When they'd annoy me the most, I used to imagine some 1 percenters chasing them with machetes. Evil, but so satisfying.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 7 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #1832

no no, they'd Never be seen wearing any kind of recognizable fashion. these kids are actually Dirty. like grungy slept-in-the-park-last-night-grass-and-weeds-in-my-dreads dirty. bare-foot-worldly-goods-in-a-sachel dirty.
dung-coloured(100%hemp)-clothing-covering-their-many-body-piercings-and-expensive-tattoos dirty.
they seem to always, Always be in smoke and frothy coffee but look like vagabonds. it's the strangest fashion statement ever.

overheard:
pierced and tattooed raggedy clothes and shoe clad young woman on the pay phone at the co-op. "and my parents want me and my brother to meet them at that resort in hawaii Again this year. they booked our tickets already and everything. can you believe them?!"
i'm so not kidding.

+Quote Post
wombat
post Aug 7 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #1833

Dragon Velocity

Trustafarians --> expensively dirty --> one word = Diesel

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post
bustygirl
post Aug 7 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #1834

Hardcore BUSTie

Re:Boston Globe

Putting gauchos on children=child abuse.
Boyfriend in the denim suit is tasty, though. Just add closed toed shoes, 20 pounds, and tattooes.

Pimp Clown=George Clinton on public transport.

I love the word scalywag. Love it.

+Quote Post
quietmadness
post Aug 6 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #1835

Hardcore BUSTie

Took the kids to McD's the other day after the pool.

She was in the parking lot, walking a little girl into the dining room.

She was wearing black knit gauchos--total ass munchers.
A white Popeye wife beater T-shirt--greying with age.
No bra--slightly droopy C cups.
Shower type flip flops.

Simply refreshing site.

+Quote Post
olhakadirf
post Aug 6 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #1836

BUSTie

I hate it when women wear shorts that the cooch eats, and don't pull them out of there, makes me wanna yank em out, soooo gross

+Quote Post
thingsarenice
post Aug 5 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #1837

BUSTie

No fair. I want a dinosaur sweatshirt.

+Quote Post
brett
post Aug 4 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #1838

Hardcore BUSTie

That back-to-school thing was just wrong. Those kids need a visit from Stacey & Clinton.

--------------------
there's more to life than making jam and having kids-damien hirst

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 4 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #1839

luci is hurting me.

i live in the fashion krime kapital of kanada, i Swear to freaking Maude.
fashion hippies abound, layers upon layer upon layers of fabric and other whatnots. gah. dreads everywhere in every style and colour. and crocs. every person here has a pair, including me (bright bubble gum pink). the foot wear alone is enough to permanently blind you.

trustafarians. the expensively dirty look. there's too much to even describe to you here. i promise to try though, k? i'll start writing shit down.

+Quote Post
maimy
post Aug 4 2006, 06:59 PM
Post #1840

Hardcore BUSTie

Bits of me are actually passing out trying to compute the mental image of white ... mandals ...

Holy. Moly.

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 90 91 92 93 94 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 2, 2014 - 10:57 AM