Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

55 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The General Health Question Thread
Lunalu
post Nov 22 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #21

BUSTie

I have the idiopathic hives, too and it's been going on since last January.
My allergist suggested I take Zyrtec everyday, and as long as I'm doing that I'm not bothered too much, but I don't want to keep taking Zyrtec everyday, and when I don't take it, the hives come back right away.
I had couple days where I didn't take zyrtec on purpose to see if it would start, and it always started...
my naturopath did a comprehensive allergy testing so IgG (?) and IgE, I might be wrong, anyway it turned out that I had sensitivity to wheat, gluten, olive/olive oil, chocolate, whey/all dairy products, banana, strawberries, almond, peanut, and cigarette and smoke itself... almost everything I was eating regularly... so I'm trying not to eat anything with these ingredients, and no matter how cautious I'm, if I'm not taking Zyrtec, the hives come back, all the time... it's really frustrating, and I'm starting to think my hives is not diet related...
my natorapath also is thinking it could be stress-related, and is suspecting I might have some cortisol imbalance (because my progesterone is also very low and i'm having unovulatory cycles every other month). anyway I've started drinking licorice tea and stopped smoking for the last 5 days! I'm anxiously waiting to see what is going to happen now...
Any suggestions? Anyone has ever experience this kind of long-term hives?

QUOTE(chachaheels @ Nov 20 2009, 04:55 PM) *
Dermatographism actually looks as though you've applied puff paint (remember that stuff? it comes out of a tube like liquid glue, but then it puffs up) to your skin. It is very localized, the skin swells and forms red wheals wherever it has been contacted or scratched. I always think of it as a sign of an already highly compromised immune system (but then, if you suffer from any kind of allergy, that's enough of a sign of that already). If you're not getting symptoms like this then you can rule out this symptom for yourself.

Using any kind of antibiotic treatment is going to have effects somewhere--either it will be a full spectrum antibiotic (and the ones for skin usually are) so you will be facing a deficit in some microflora you'll need to keep your entire digestive and reproductive system healthy. I generally have found that any anti-biotic use for skin care on an ongoing, long term basis seems to have negligible effect on the skin quality anyway.

There are some alternatives that you can use which are extremely effective (one that has to be done with a qualified practitioner to achieve the best effects, the other can be done much more generally for overall skin improvement and health improvement). If you're interested in some resources that way, I can point you to some.

AP, best of luck, hope it is something that can be rectified very soon. If you're interested in any supports using alternatives, let me know, I'd be glad to help.

--------------------
"All young women begin by believing they can change and reform the men they marry. They can't." ~George Bernard Shaw
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 20 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

Dermatographism actually looks as though you've applied puff paint (remember that stuff? it comes out of a tube like liquid glue, but then it puffs up) to your skin. It is very localized, the skin swells and forms red wheals wherever it has been contacted or scratched. I always think of it as a sign of an already highly compromised immune system (but then, if you suffer from any kind of allergy, that's enough of a sign of that already). If you're not getting symptoms like this then you can rule out this symptom for yourself.

Using any kind of antibiotic treatment is going to have effects somewhere--either it will be a full spectrum antibiotic (and the ones for skin usually are) so you will be facing a deficit in some microflora you'll need to keep your entire digestive and reproductive system healthy. I generally have found that any anti-biotic use for skin care on an ongoing, long term basis seems to have negligible effect on the skin quality anyway.

There are some alternatives that you can use which are extremely effective (one that has to be done with a qualified practitioner to achieve the best effects, the other can be done much more generally for overall skin improvement and health improvement). If you're interested in some resources that way, I can point you to some.

AP, best of luck, hope it is something that can be rectified very soon. If you're interested in any supports using alternatives, let me know, I'd be glad to help.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 19 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #23

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Great. I'd never heard of "dermatographism" and now you've got me paranoid about it...what's normal redness after you scratch yourself with something and when does it become dermatographism? Does it have to have bumps form? Does it have to be itchy? I'm not noticing any bumps or itchiness, but my skin does stay red for awhile after I scratch myself. I'm pretty fair-skinned, though.

And as long as I'm here, I may as well ask...I have rosacea. I tried a couple different creams and they'd work for awhile but they got expensive and after a few weeks, with one of them, I reacted to it. I saw a commercial (love that drug marketing!) for something called Oracea. It's a low-grade antibiotic (I think- doxycycline) that treats rosacea as an inflammatory condition and is supposed to reduce redness, along with the pustules (yum!) that come with rosacea. Obviously, I'm concerned about being on a low-grade antibiotic, both for mysef and I don't want to contribute to the bacterial resistance problem. Their website claims that the medicine doesn't affect bacterial resistance...is this possible? Do only certain antibiotics affect it? And what about what it could do to me, if I were to go on it long term.

I try to minimize any other causes of the condition- I use gentle, non-abrasive face products, stay out of the sun as much as possible. I try to limit spicy/acidic foods , but I don't want to completely give them up.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
ketto
post Nov 19 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Nov 18 2009, 07:40 PM) *
It seems like I get a handle on one thing & another pops up to replace it.

This is exactly how I feel.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Nov 18 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #25

Big Fat Bitch

Thanks, Chacha. I'll write all that down & take it with. I already knew that I have some auto-immune issues, I really hoped this wasn't a part of that even though I figured that it was. It runs in the fam. It seems like I get a handle on one thing & another pops up to replace it.

Shit. Guess I better make an appt with my GP to see if I can't get a handle on this. My doctor at home is great, the doctor here thinks it's all in my head. Like I'm intentionally scratching too hard & giving myself the wheals. Seriously, I lightly scratched my initials into my arm as a test & they raised up all angry. I know I'm sensitive, but not that sensitive!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 17 2009, 05:17 AM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

AP, if you were my patient, I would want to rule out some specific causes before just opting to treat this topically.

It sounds (from the little you mentioned here--allergies, previous incidences of swelling/skin sensitivity) that you're really sensitive to almost anything, and almost anything can bring about an immune system response. It's as if something very persistent has worn down your defenses systematically, so that you react to just about anything. I think the dermatographism you write about is another form of this--it's like an extremely localized version of an intense allergic reaction, complete with swelling, redness, heat, and pain (itch classifies as pain).

The usual allergies apply--shellfish, pets, soy, any kind of food, dust mites, mould, drug allergies (consider this specifically if you are using any kind of drug on an ongoing basis). Other things to rule out: scabies, ringworm, tinea capitis (any of the tineas, fungal infections, bacterial infections, sensitivies to amyloid proteins (amyloidosis). All of them are systemic, not just local). Here is what I would really like to rule out:

chronic renal failure, or any kind of kidney weakness (there's a lot of swelling tendency in your history, I'd want to make sure your kidneys are working well)
hypothyroidism
hyperparathyroidism
any autoimmune disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, autoimmune hepatitis, fibromyalgia
diabetic neuropathy
polycythemia (too much iron in the blood, which can cause incredible itchiness in the skin that can't be relieved easily, among other things)

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Nov 16 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #27

Big Fat Bitch

First my ass turns my toilet seat purple, now this.

I wash my clothes/clean my house with Dr. Bronner's Lavender castille soap/Sal Suds, sometimes augmented with vinegar or baking soda for tough stuff.

I try to stay away from pre-packaged foods, but I did buy some frozen egg noodles, canned black beans, & frozen shrimp. Everything else is fresh (Mostly. I put up an assload of local stuff from the farmer's market over the summer.) & well washed. I haven't eaten out since the end of August. The most dangerous thing I've eaten was a small bag of jalapeno Cheetos last week.

I did get some new perfume from my beloved, but it wasn't my first bottle of the perfume & it's a one-off, limited-edition, single-batch scent that never bothered me before. It's Lush, just like everything else in my bath. In fact, the only thing that seems to keep the itching at bay is a lukewarm shower with Dream Wash followed up by a slathering of Dream Cream. So I wind up smelling like a medicine chest, but I am moisturized.

I've had stress-related hives before. I had a six month period in my early twenties where I had no job & was scrambling to keep it together. I had angry red hives all over my body & my lips would swell up so I looked like a duck. Not really conducive to somebody giving me a job when my upper lip was so swollen it blocked off my nose & I was riddled with itchy bumps. This isn't like that at all. I'll have a random itch on my arm, I'll give it a light absent scratch, five minutes later I look down & there are angry red wheals.

And I'm pretty much constantly on some form of antihistimine. I'm allergic to damned near everything BUT animal dander. I've known how to be careful about my sensitive skin since I was ten, hence my surprise at this new thing. Outside of rolling myself in oats, I am at a loss.

ETA: Um, I also had the odd eyeball swelling during that stress stint. Only one at a time, though.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
ketto
post Nov 16 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

AP, how are your stress levels? I've only had hives a few times in my life, but in April 2008 I had them every single day for almost a month. Stress seemed to be the trigger. I was just finishing my final year of university and the day after I finished my last assignment I flew to England with my brothers and hoped the hives would disappear on their own. I had them for two more weeks while I was in England and no matter what I did they appeared.

They appeared the same time of day every day (even after the time change - so they began around 3pm in Canada, but once the time changed, they began around 3pm in England) and I tried everything from eating different foods to wearing all different clothes. Alcohol made them worse, but didn't trigger them. I finally went to a chemist and explained my issue. They said it could be stress related and told me to take an antihistamine at the same time everyday until they went away. They didn't start disappearing for a few days, and I took the pills for a week or two just to be safe. Once I stopped the pills they didn't come back.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Nov 16 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

Just wanted to chime in and say that we humans are funny being we can just wake up and suddenly decide to be sensitive to some products so it doesn't have to be a new product you're using. One day I just woke up allergic to nickel. No symptoms beforehand, just happened. Also just because YOU haven't changed the products, doesn't mean the manufacturers haven't. Check for new recipes/formula labels on the products sometimes they label changes sometimes they don't.

I'd wash everything in just water, and go to no product for a while if possible and reintroduce.

Yeah and Strongirl is right it could be something you ingested rather than something topical

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Nov 13 2009, 05:35 PM) *
Has anybody here any experience with dermatographism? It's something I seem to have developed recently & it seems to be completely idiopathic (There has been no change of anything in my life. No new soaps, lotions, potions; no strange fabrics; etc.) Antihistimines aren't helping & switching to cool showers aren't either.

+Quote Post
strongirl
post Nov 16 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi Auralpoison,

I suffered with an extreme case of this for about 6 months several years ago. It wasn't until years later that I realized it was triggered by MSG in Chinese food I was eating almost daily (my sig. other owned a Chinese restaurant at the time) - I didn't figure it out until another Chinese food meal at a different restaurant years later triggered the same thing. So it may be dietary, not topical. Just a thought. Also I found the only thing that helped was icing the hives and that was just temporary relief. You have my sympathy, it can really suck!

Strongirl

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Nov 13 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #31

Big Fat Bitch

Has anybody here any experience with dermatographism? It's something I seem to have developed recently & it seems to be completely idiopathic (There has been no change of anything in my life. No new soaps, lotions, potions; no strange fabrics; etc.) Antihistimines aren't helping & switching to cool showers aren't either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
humanist77
post Oct 5 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #32

belligerently lazy

grrr, sick for the third time in less than 4 months! This is seriously not normal for me. Something has got to be wrong with my immune system. I'm not stressed more than usual, I eat fairly healthfully, I could always use more sleep, but i generally get enough. I'm so frustrated with my body! Any other ideas? I smoke pot, but moderately-not enough that i get lung irritation or anything. Can THC have adverse affects on the immune system? I can't seem to find any unbiased, reliable info on websites-it's either war-on-drugs sites saying it'll kill you, or pro-marijuana sites saying there's no link. I just wanna be healthy....

--------------------
I pledge allegiance to and wrap myself in the flag of the United States Against Anything Un-American and to the Republicans for which it stands, two nations, under Jesus, rich against poor, with curtailed liberty and justice for all except blacks, homosexuals, women who want abortions, Communists, welfare queens, treehuggers, feminazis, illegal immigrants, children of illegal immigrants, and you if you don't watch your step.
-Matt Groening, Life in Hell

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Sep 26 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

Some sort of woman's vitamin... I think it's store brand.

+Quote Post
p_176
post Sep 25 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

what multivitamin are you taking? possibly you need to change brands. i used to take centrum, and i was sick ALL the time. now i take GNC womens vitamins, and i feel a lot better.

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Sep 24 2009, 08:04 AM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been taking airborne and a multivitamin. I really have to stop picking at my face though. I'm constantly touching my eyes and mouth- no wonder I'm always sick.

+Quote Post
mumblestutter
post Sep 19 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been taking a beta glucan supplement. I guess it's derived from asian mushrooms & is supposed to be helpful for boosting the immune system, even when taken long term. The guy at the health food store and wiki seem to think so.

I think I might start taking it regularly as I seem to be getting sick every 4-6 weeks.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 18 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #37

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I suspect that there's some underlying cause (and I'm sure a more qualified bustie can give you suggestions on where to start with that) but in the meantime, I know people who've had a lot of luck with colostrum supplements. Some people take it on a daily basis, regardless of how they feel, to boost their immune system (and other benefits.) I've taken in the past; not on a daily basis, but when I feel a cold coming on, it really helps.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Sep 18 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

I am always sick. It's been like this for a year at least. Mostly colds, coughs, mild sinus infections, ear infections. I also had a stomach bug. I had a couple months of relief this summer (was bothered by seasonal allergies, but that was it), and now I'm back to sickness on top of sickness again. At the very beginning of this month I had a cold. Last week I had a flu-like illness that lasted 3 days- I had a fever, headache, body aches, chills, runny nose, etc. I felt better on Monday, then on Thursday I get a cold. My nose has been dripping like a faucet. My face and throat are raw from it, and I can't stop coughing for 2 minutes. It hurts and I can't sleep.

My diet is okay, aside from me having a sweet tooth. I guess I could eat better though. I drink plenty of water and tea. I could exercise more, but I do have a job that keeps me physically active. I'm not that stressed- I only work 32 hours a week, I don't have money or relationship problems, and I'm not even going to school this semester. I work in healthcare so I wash my hands constantly. I work in a nursing home so it's not like I should be bringing that much stuff home anyway- they all have chronic diseases.

I'm at my wit's end. I can't deal with being sick all the time. I live with my boyfriend and he never gets sick. And his weekend job is in retail- you'd think he would be catching more stuff than me.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jul 14 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #39

the moistiest

polly, if you're taking any pain meds (hydrocodone, etc) that can make you pretty constipated.

(p.s., i feel your pain... i have pericornitis right now... i can no longer keep postponing the extractions due to my mega-pussiness)

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Jul 14 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #40

(o)(o)

or you could ensure to eat a lot of veggies and bran and such.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post

55 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 1, 2014 - 10:24 PM