The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

43 Pages V  « < 39 40 41 42 43 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The BUST General Knowledge Base
doodlebug
post Jun 7 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #801

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

Hee...I wasn't going to post this, but I feel compelled...I'm not sure whether using Every Breath You Take on an anniversary video is a good idea...since Sting wrote it about his divorce! LOL! :-)

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 7 2006, 08:58 PM
Post #802

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Thanks for the suggestions- he ended up going with that cover of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" by the Hawaiian singer, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. That version always makes me cry!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Jun 7 2006, 04:00 AM
Post #803

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

polly - "one" is a good call by cloverbee
If it was Sting, I'd go for "Every Breath You Take"
Contemporary? "You're beautiful", James Blunt?

eta: What's Simple is True", Jewel

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Jun 7 2006, 03:35 AM
Post #804

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

polly...just a few thoughts off the top of my head...remembering that I'm kinda getting old so "contemporary" prolly means something a little different to me!

Fields of Gold - Sting
Never Tear Us Apart - INXS
I'll Be Your Lover Too - Van Morrison (not contemporary, but v. romantic)

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
edna
post Jun 7 2006, 01:08 AM
Post #805

Hardcore BUSTie

ingewillow, don't know if this is helpful to your project or not, but you might be interested in the Independent Press Resource Center or Reading Frenzy (a bookstore specializing in independent press and zines. Both are located in Portland OR.

www.iprc.org
www.readingfrenzy.com

+Quote Post
cloverbee
post Jun 6 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #806

Hardcore BUSTie

Polly, U2-One. that's my 2cents.

+Quote Post
lot49
post Jun 6 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #807

Hardcore BUSTie

polly -- try pandora.com. You type in the name of a band/artist and it finds other music that you (or in this case your friend of a friend) might like.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 6 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #808

(cross-posted in the Music Thread)

I need some suggestions- my boyfriend is doing a video editing job for a friend of a friend- he's taking this guy's family pictures and videos and throwing some music over it as an anniversary present for the guy's wife. The guy picked out two songs and left the third song up to my boyfriend to choose.

Problem is, he picked some music that isn't really our taste, so we don't have any idea what will go with the other two songs. The two songs we have are "You and Me" by Lifehouse and "100 Years" by Five for Fighting. They're nice songs, but a little overproduced and sappy for our tastes (no offense if you're into this stuff!)

Any suggestions for a mid-tempo romantic song, preferrably something sorta contemporary and about four and a half minutes long?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
cloverbee
post Jun 4 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #809

Hardcore BUSTie

how can I find someone w/out paying money to do so? I have tried the white pages and every other free service but no luck??

+Quote Post
miz_lynnbomb
post Jun 2 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #810

BUSTie

I put out a personal zine...send me a pm and we can talk.

Lynn Bomb

+Quote Post
ingewillow
post Jun 1 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #811

Hi everyone..I'm posting this here, hoping you guys can help..

I'm a grad student and I'm starting a "large-scale research project" (read: dissertation) on personal zines. I'm looking for zinesters who put out personal/journal zines to talk with me about their experiences writing and publishing the zine.

Does anyone know of good online message boards or web communities where I could post this message and find some zinesters who are willing to chat with me? Or..do any of you BUSTies put out a personal zine and would be willing to share your experiences with me?

Thanks for any ideas/help...

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 1 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #812

Does anyone know if those Lacroix sparkling waters are sweetened with anything, and if so, what do they use? Sugar or an artificial sweetener?

ETA: I think I may have found the answer- they are sweetened with artificial sweeteners (I think- the lacroix website has no info, so I'm not sure if what I found was accurate.)

My boyfriend is trying to kick his pop addiction, so I'm looking for something that maybe has a little sugar (as long as it's less than a coke), no artifical sweetener and low in calories- any ideas? Maybe I'll start making iced tea at home and he'll have to get a bottle to keep it in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zora
post May 30 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #813

I had the same thing happen. Change your password right away.

+Quote Post
cleanoldguy
post May 30 2006, 06:56 AM
Post #814

BUSTie

Cloverbee, you were right to be suspicious and you did the right thing by checking it out. I get these scam/spams from fake Paypal and Ebay addresses all the time. They are NOT legitimate. They are annoying and potentially dangerous--don't respond by clicking any links in them, and above all don't send them any info about yourself or bank accounts etc. These things are called "phishing" and are an attempt to get you to give them access to your money.

You can report these to spoof@paypal.com or spoof@ebay.com, and their security folks will reply, reminding you that Paypal and Ebay do NOT email stuff like this to you. If you have real messages from them, they will be accessible on your account. Log in as usual and see if you have messages. The security departments at Paypal and Ebay make an effort to catch these thieves, but the best defense is just to delete any email that looks phony. Unfortunately, it usually is.

One other thing: A lot of these phishing attempts appear to come from banks. Same deal.

+Quote Post
northpole
post May 29 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #815

BUSTie

Cloverbee, check out the different ways to contact PayPal on their website. I dug this up there:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact_us

~North "let's shut down the scammers!" pole~

+Quote Post
cloverbee
post May 29 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #816

Hardcore BUSTie

okay busties, I need some advice. I got an email from PayPal saying that I owed such and such amount blah blah blah for a purchase that I did not make. It looked exactly like a paypal email. I went to dispute it and it asked for my credit card # which made me suspicious so I checked the email and it wasn't a real email, it was a picture. SCAM!! now who do I report it to to stop these scammers? thank goodness I noticed just in time! this is a good scam b/c the email address is only two letters off from the real PayPal address.

+Quote Post
northpole
post May 26 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #817

BUSTie

Polly, try checking out the manufacturer's website to see if you can download an owner's manual. It sounds like something got knocked out of place if it keeps going out. The manual should have the specifications as to location of the pilot, the ignitor and the thermocouple. If any of these are out of place, you'll encounter these sorts of problems.

Alternatively, perhaps your natural gas or propane supplier (not sure which one you're using) can be of help. Here in Calgary, our natural gas supplier will do free inspections/service calls for any natural gas appliance in your house. I'm not telling you to lie, but they'll often come quicker if you mention that you can't get it to light at all. Otherwise, you may have to book an appointment, and that can be a couple of weeks into the future.

Definitely if you smell gas, GET OUT OF THE HOUSE AND THEN CALL THEM!! Don't use a phone in the house, because even the small spark of a telephone making contact can ignite the gas.

You may find that the thermocouple could have been damaged by having water splashed on it. Hopefully not!

~North "hee hee hee she said 'gas'" pole~

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post May 26 2006, 06:41 AM
Post #818

yeah, the old oven at my parents was like that too, but this one is extra annoying because I have to light it by getting down and going through the broiler. Usually, you can just take off the panel at the bottom of the oven, move that deflector panel and light it. I can't loosen the screw on the deflector panel, though. Grr.

--------------------

+Quote Post
altargrrrl
post May 26 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #819

Hardcore BUSTie

our old stove when i was growing up needed to have the pilot light lit everytime we wanted to use it, and we did that for years. my point is that while it's really inconvenient, if you don't have the money to replace it or even to have a repairperson look at it, you could probably just keep lighting it every time for quite a while without any really ill effects.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post May 25 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #820

Need appliance advice- a couple weeks ago, I accidentally put out my oven's pilot light. I had a water bath in there because I was making a cheesecake and the water sloshed and put out the light. Eventually, it came back on by itself, but a few days later, my boyfriend put it out again when he was pulling the waterbath out of the oven (oops, I forgot it in there!) and it sloshed again. Ever since then, it won't light without us manually lighting it. Any advice?

I've lived here less than a year and have had to replce two appliances- I don't want to have to do anymore for awhile!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

43 Pages V  « < 39 40 41 42 43 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 22, 2014 - 07:44 PM