The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

36 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sniff, sniff,mmm. What is that perfume you're wearing?
marblemeadow
post Nov 7 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #1

QUOTE(deschatsrouge @ Sep 14 2010, 10:52 AM) *
unsure.gif ...um, I like Avon's "Bali Bliss"

I have never really been a fragrance wearer until the Bali bliss. May I have some tips on how to wear perfume from more experienced ladies? I was wondering if wearing Avon makes me somehow uncool. What does the brand of the fragrance indicate about the wearer. Is it okay to tell people that I'm wearing Avon?

unsure.gif ...thanks

Avon's a great company. I order stuff from them all the time. When people ask just say what it is and be proud. If they asked, they probably liked it. =) laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marblemeadow
post Nov 7 2010, 12:36 AM
Post #2

Today I tried a few new things - Prospero, which is actually an old BPAL scent but its DIVINE, and Embalming Fluid which I've heard such rave reviews about but to me (at least with my skin chemistry) turned into an absolutely nauseating floral. I just can't believe it. I looked up and down for an imp of that - almost bought a bottle UNSNIFFED even, but thankfully I was able to get it before the investment of a whole bottle. Phew.

Though I'm nuts about BPAL sometimes its so hard to get a lot because of their prices. I know they are top quality oils but its still sad when I see so many that I want and I can't! Blech.

Also if anyone else is interested in a decant circle for Yules (not BPAL unfortunately) I'm doing Good Judy and Blooddrop over on Live journal let me know! Happy to include you. Several bottles still have a lot of slots open.

http://community.livejournal.com/evil_enablers/1636893.html

Huggles to everyone.

marblemeadow

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Sep 23 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #3

A symphony of atrocities.

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Sep 21 2010, 09:04 PM) *
My general rule of thumb is that you should have to be close to me to smell me. Nobody wants to be *that* person . . . the one that bathed in whatever scent. This is tricky. I have perfumes like Lush's Icon where even just spritzing it into the air, counting to three & walking through it is too much, to lighter oils that I have to reapply throughout the day. You'll just have to experiment with somebody you trust being your sniffer until you find a place where you are comfortable.

I will say this: NO RUBBING. Rubbing your wrists together, etc, breaks down the oils in perfume & effects the scent/sustainability.

thanks AP. smile.gif

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 22 2010, 07:57 AM
Post #4

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

And that's what I heard, so that's why I rubbed. It shouldn't happen with oil-based fragrances, though?

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 22 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #5

Big Fat Bitch

I should clarify, the person that initially told me this started screeching when she saw me do it & claimed it "broke down the molecules". This? Is not so much true. I asked my sexy chemical lover man & he told me that rubbing your wrists together generates heat/friction, which can cause some perfumes (particularly cheaper EDTs) to evaporate more quickly than they should.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 21 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #6

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Sep 21 2010, 04:04 PM) *

I will say this: NO RUBBING. Rubbing your wrists together, etc, breaks down the oils in perfume & effects the scent/sustainability.

Huh, good to know- I'll stop rubbing. I got this fragrance set a few months ago and I really love it. I'm not normally a fan of citrus smells, but I love the one that comes in this set, and probably wear it most of all. The blackberry one and the champagne sugar are my other two favorites.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 21 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #7

Big Fat Bitch

My general rule of thumb is that you should have to be close to me to smell me. Nobody wants to be *that* person . . . the one that bathed in whatever scent. This is tricky. I have perfumes like Lush's Icon where even just spritzing it into the air, counting to three & walking through it is too much, to lighter oils that I have to reapply throughout the day. You'll just have to experiment with somebody you trust being your sniffer until you find a place where you are comfortable.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Sep 21 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #8

So is there a "right" way to wear perfume? I'm nervous about putting on too much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 14 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Big Fat Bitch

If you dig it, wear it & fuck anybody right in the ear that has shit to talk.

Honestly, these days I think the only stigma attached to Avon perfumes is that they don't have a lot of staying power. Even their EPDs are weak, I have a bottle of Absynthe that somebody gave me as a gift that I like that has to be reapplied intermittently if I wish to maintain my sexy sniffability.

--------------------

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Sep 14 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Girlfriend, my take is that you are just too savvy to fall for stupid marketing ploys and you wear what YOU like, not what some man from Paris or LA thinks you should wear. Good for you. I think you are wicked cool for wearing Avon.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Sep 14 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #11

unsure.gif ...um, I like Avon's "Bali Bliss"

I have never really been a fragrance wearer until the Bali bliss. May I have some tips on how to wear perfume from more experienced ladies? I was wondering if wearing Avon makes me somehow uncool. What does the brand of the fragrance indicate about the wearer. Is it okay to tell people that I'm wearing Avon?

unsure.gif ...thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 14 2010, 04:45 AM
Post #12

Big Fat Bitch

They are selling BPAL at Urban Outfitters.

LushUK's B Never cosmetics company has folded, & now they have created another company within the company called Gorilla Perfumes. Their first launch is the new Tuca Tuca fragrance. It's fairly inexpensive & it's fantastic!

I am all about the violet & the vetiver!

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Feb 28 2010, 04:09 AM
Post #13

Big Fat Bitch

I got half of my Perfumed Court order today. So far, I am in love with the new Piguet Futur, but then I like that kind of old world glamour perfume. I'm meh on the Prada Ambree, not enough character for me. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. I know it's for men, but dang! It's citrusy, smoky & a whole wad of other crap that just smells great on me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Feb 19 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #14

Big Fat Bitch

Wow. Dorian is quite subtle. I like it.

I ordered:
Bathsheba
Blood amber
Wanton
Wanda
Saturnalia
Prague

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Feb 5 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #15

It's Calamity Jenn

Crap. I was hoping to like Lust, since I bought a 5mL before I even sniffed it. But I don't like it.

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jan 31 2010, 07:12 AM
Post #16

Big Fat Bitch

Your link, she does not work, Slodki. I am assuming you meant to post Prada. Simple, sleek design. Lovely scent. I actually ordered a decant of the new Ambre scent to see if it lives up to all the hype.

How hard is it to find out whether a big name perfume is vegan or not? I always thought most places kept their recipes under lock & key. I suppose you'd probably have to write to them directly to see what was what or else find a web resource that gathers that info like they do for vegan makeup & the like.

I just ordered a bunch of imps. I don't usually buy without trying, but hey, it's BPAL, if I don't like it, I can pass it along.

--------------------

+Quote Post
slodki
post Jan 30 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #17

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2Vj6Fqz0Zeo/SoIxtcIlCmI/AAAAAAAAAcM/mkhqxGhPJiI/s320/Prada.jpg[/img]
I love the look of Prada's perfume.
Seriously, atomizers make me swoon.
I've smelt it in perfume ads however, I can not discern how vegan it is, and being a vegan I won't buy it till i've got it figured out.

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Jan 29 2010, 05:21 PM
Post #18

It's Calamity Jenn

I just bought a 5mL Lust from another forumite. I don't even know what it smells like. I've never done that before, I really hope I end up liking it!

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Jan 29 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #19

It's Calamity Jenn

I bought a 5mL of Grog from a BPAL forumite, and got Gluttony as a frimp, so I didn't have to wait til I got my lab order to try it.
It is so. freaking. YUM. I couldn't stop snurfling my wrist last night.
I'm so glad I have another imp on the way biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Jan 27 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

smile.gif Any of those imps I passed along are at least 2 years old....so all of those are good and aged. Dorian is my go-to comfort scent. If I'm feeling at all down, or ill, that's what I want to wear. They did an LE in the Carnivale series called Theodosius the Legerdemain that is like the macho Dorian, and I love that one as well. The scents I wear most often are Snake Oil and her cousins - Snake Charmer and Mme. Moriarty. Mmmmmm.

+Quote Post

36 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 25, 2014 - 11:24 PM