20 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Halloween!
epinephrine
post Oct 29 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

So what's everyone doing for Halloween?

The foreign students here are having a party tonight and I'm gonna check it out. Halloween really kind of crept up on me, and I have no costume and no idea what to wear. I'm seriously considering going as a bedsheet ghost. If I can cobble it together fast enough, though, I'll try to do the scary tooth fairy costume I've wanted to do for so long! I hear the party might be invite only, but I think I'm gonna try to sneak a couple of my Chinese friends in. I'm gonna go in search of something pumpkin-flavoured today - they don't celebrate Halloween over here, but they are aware of it, and it's entirely possible that there a few Halloweeny novelties to be found.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Aug 2 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh, I've wanted to have an old-fashioned Halloween party for ages! You'll have to have popcorn balls and candy apples, and if you wanna be super-traditional (and possibly risk choking one of your guests) you could serve barmbrack. I love tradition. Halloween rocks my world. I wish it was taken a little more seriously and was made into an actual holiday.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Aug 2 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Epi, that sounds awesome! I bet you'll make a lot of new friends that way.

I'm tempted to throw an old-fashioned Halloween party this year, with apple-bobbing and other parlour games. Pretty childish, but.... I like playing games!

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Jul 29 2010, 07:32 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

It's summer, and you know what that means - time to start planning for Halloween!

Sadly, I won't be doing much this year because I don't think they really do Halloween in China. Guess I'll have to bring Halloween to China with me! That could be lots of fun. One of the best Halloweens I had was the one I spent with some friends from Japan. I had so much fun introducing them to the concept and customs of Halloween, explaining the history, showing them how to carve pumpkins, watching Buffy and Hocus Pocus and zombie movies, dressing up, taking them to haunted houses, going to parties...They got totally into it. It was like spending Halloween with kids, only with alcohol and later bedtimes!

I'm just listening to Tom Waits' Bone Machine and it's very Halloweeny. I never did do anything with my idea for a Halloween blog. Maybe that'll be my Halloween activity this year.

--------------------

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Nov 5 2009, 11:54 AM
Post #5

A symphony of atrocities.

I did something similar in spirit this year for the halloween party I went to, I made "blood" jello (black cherry) with gummy brains, worms, fangs, ect on it.

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 4 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #6

Oh, guys, have you seen a cat litter cake yet? Check out this disgusting Halloween buffet food, eww UGH!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=326716.0

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 4 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #7

Glad you liked them Culture! Now where are all your pics girls? I'm dying to see over here!

I sustained a pumpkin related injury yesterday, revenge of the Jack'o'lantern I call it. I had to chop them all up in the bottom of the composter with a rusty old garden shovel and I bashed my finger good and hard, OooWwWWeEeEEEeEe! Still hurts but at least it's on my left hand and I'm a righty. Frikken painful though, not exactly the thing I want to keep reminding me of Halloween for a few more days.

Oh, BTW check out these homemade costumes for next year's inspiration. Their armour is made of cardboard and paper mache, you will Not believe how fantastic it looks. I'm doing it, I don't know what we'll dress up as yet but whatever it is there will be crazy paper mache involved!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=326767.0

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Nov 4 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #8

(o)(o)

Pepper, awesome!!!!

evade, that sounds like so much fun!!!I'd love to see pics!

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Nov 4 2009, 08:31 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

eva, sounds awesome. try a link to pics on Flickr, photobucket, etc.

+Quote Post
evadestruction
post Nov 2 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #10

my baby bro got married on halloween so i got to wear a bridesmaid costume. luckily for me the reception was costumes optional so i dressed up as a Sylvia Ji inspired La Katrina. but i did half my face sugar skull and the other half classic glam.if someone tells me how to post pictures i'll set some up.
hope everyone else had an equaley bewitching time!

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 31 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #11

we've all just got a minor case of the sniffles here, nothing to keep us from having fun. which we did! kids are so great for making things amazing...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftylittlem...57607132388128/

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Oct 31 2009, 03:53 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

Happy Halloween everyone!

I'm seriously considering taking a nap. I'm expected to go to my friend's place by about 8. There is going to be a lot of drinking and candy tonight! It just sucks that it's cold out but luckily it'll only be cold on the way there and then I'll be spending the evening indoors.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Oct 31 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

Well ours will be a quiet night in sad.gif Both of us have had flu for over a week. Finally got around yesterday to admitting we won't be well enough to attend parties sad.gif And we just made a poster for the door telling the neighborhood kids no trick or treating here sad.gif Sucks ass, cos this is the one day of the year we go all out usually. If we're home we do candy AND glosticks and set up spooky music, fog machine etc etc.

Flu sucks!

+Quote Post
sevenseconds
post Oct 31 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Happy Halloween, rogue, all ladies!
cc_girl, you inspire me!

Sweet, I do feel like Halloween (now that the right side of my face looks like a gob of alien boogers, see Confessions)! I'd love some last-sec help, ladies, what character has a black eye seeping over the rest of their cheek like in real time? But it has to be easy, like add one thing. Or I'll just wear a witch hat and be done... Can't wait to park it at McDougal and Bleeker and look at happy people, and not think about me.
Wow. Don't know that I've ever felt this before (did I just slip back into the human race!?) - extreme sadness as the engine for such an overwhelming desire to party. I am gonna. It feels good to have committed.

--------------------
Every story is a cup so empty it can be drunk from again and again. - MJH

+Quote Post
rogue
post Oct 31 2009, 08:32 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Happy Halloween, Everyone! I hope you all have fantastic evenings, no matter what you're up to! =)

--------------------
Vixi liber et moriar.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Oct 31 2009, 12:56 AM
Post #16

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I have no idea how early they'll come. This is the first year that I've lived on my own where it's been on a weekend, so I don't know. I didn't buy candy today, so even if they do knock, I probably won't answer.

I tried on my costume tonight. It looks awesome. LeBoy wanted to, ahem, "try it out"...I told him that was disturbing, and he at least had to wait until tomorrow night!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
ketto
post Oct 30 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

Polly, i had to comment on the time thing too. Do kids really go out that early where you are? I think the earliest we get (now that daylight savings is later) is around 6:30, after it starts getting dark. Even if halloween's been on a weekend, no daytime trick or treaters for us.

We're moving on Sunday so I'm really busy with that stuff and halloween really fell by the wayside. I'm supposed to play soccer at 7pm tomorrow, but I'm staying home to give out and candy and go out with my niece for a bit. It's my last halloween at my folks house!!!

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Oct 30 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

cc_girl, sounds awesome! purple lipstick....yeah!

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Oct 30 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Do you really think that kids are going to come around that early, though? In my neighbourhood no one went out until dusk. I guess it seemed more spooky that way.

I'm thinking of stopping by the drug store and splurging on some purple lipstick to complete my witch outfit. I'm just glad that it all came together. I got an awesome cape with a spiderweb pattern on it.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Oct 30 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #20

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I had pneumonia on Halloween when I was 6, so I can sympathize, pepper. Never got to wear my Cyndi Lauper costume. sad.gif

I realized that I have a dark green sweater that zips up. It's not perfect, but it will do, unless I can find something better.

We live in a condo and our usual routine was to go to LeBoy's brother's house after work and go out with their kids, then have a little party afterwards. Now, with Halloween on a Saturday, we're stopping by LeBrother's house on the way to another party, but not until 3:00, so we'll probably get hit with some kids before that. If they knock on my door before noon, they lose an eye, though! dry.gif Ooo, maybe I'll reverse trick-or-treat them! laugh.gif

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 22, 2014 - 05:53 PM