The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To Have Moderators Or Not To Have Moderators? That Is The Question., Public Service Poll
Bust Improvements
Do you want a few wisely chosen BUSTies as board moderators?
Yes [ 40 ] ** [62.50%]
No (could you explain decision?) [ 12 ] ** [18.75%]
Maybe (discuss concerns below) [ 12 ] ** [18.75%]
Would you like these moderators to act across the board or only in "sensitive" threads?
Yes [ 31 ] ** [48.44%]
No [ 13 ] ** [20.31%]
Maybe [ 20 ] ** [31.25%]
What powers would you like moderators to have?
Delete offensive troll posts only [ 22 ] ** [28.21%]
Delete offensive troll posts and troll threads [ 35 ] ** [44.87%]
Delete offensive, trollish threads and delete users [ 15 ] ** [19.23%]
Delete all offensive material (including comments by established users) [ 2 ] ** [2.56%]
All of the above and additional powers (detail below) [ 4 ] ** [5.13%]
Total Votes: 63
Guests cannot vote 
MsYuefie
post Nov 10 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

Well it's not like He Who Wears His Ass For A Hat is every going anywhere. Now he's just yanking away with glee over his latest incarnation "BUSTED DEVELOPMENTS!"

I think it has definetely generated a great discussion and some really good points have been made. While I do not think we need full time mods, I do agree that somebody needs to be as vigilant in keeping his brand of illness off the board as he is in creating new usernames. Hence, us needing someone who isn't too busy to pay attention with the power to ban and delete his ass whenever he pops up.

But really, I think we are wasting our breath (or thoughts). I mean, we *have* mods rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Nov 10 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #22

new highs in personal lows daily!

yeah, i'm not buying it either, i'm not trying to start trouble (although i don't mind trouble, obviously), usually it's been two days MINIMUM, sometimes it's been longer.

if they are moding, either they never check, or they stop checking on days when we have trolls, either way, it sounds fishy. and since when? last LL has said, mods were a no, no and a no-- not, well we do have these people over here...

dunno,
no on anon mods, for me, i don't like the idea of mystery employee mods either. that just strikes me as FREAKING CREEPY. maybe i'm paranoid, but the idea of someone i don't know reading my posts not out of any interest in the subject matter, or interest in watching me make an unmitigated ass of myself yet again, just bugs me maybe it's current president and his machinations, i just don't care for it. but, that's saying that i buy that there are mods on this site, interns or otherwise, and i don't.

i'd much rather have a bustie modding, even if it's just the janitor idea thrown out there. and while i agree there'd be a hell of a time choosing a bustie who is even handed in all things (lord knows, for every bustie here, there is another bustie who pushes their buttons), i still think most busties have good intentions. which, even on a bad call i could give the benefit of the doubt. i think another hazard would be the (very understandable) urge to defend people we care about. we are a tight knit group, an there are cliques-- no shame in that, some folks just get on better than others...god, am i talking myself out of mods all together? whoa! i'm not going that far, but pepper's comment here:

i would LOVE to see the powers that be take some of our suggestions a little more seriously. like increasing the number of posts before being able to start new threads, like re-installing the forum greeting that tells posters where to go and gives some meager guidelines. like pinning a few headers for us (in the sensitive threads especially). and most importantly RESPONDING to reports in a timely fashion, dealing with garbage right away, deleting posts, threads and users, and sparing us the agony.

just rings sooooo true. it's just about making the lounge a place with the minimum about of unnecc'ry friction. i think that's what we all want

on the way we ban together on troll threads, i have to agree. as a card carrying member of satan's biodiesel bust bitches, i have to say, trolls generate way too many laughs to ever just delete there threads out of hand. some of the threads should be left for sheer comedic value....

and sixela, thank you. calling someone an asshat-- always funny, no matter how you say it.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
faerietails2
post Nov 9 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #23

donut-lovin' heathen

I saw that. Thing is, I've never seen any real moderating. It's always taken at least 2 days for a cleanup (and always care of LL, not anyone else), and this last doozy was just out of control.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Nov 9 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #24

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

well, there goes that idea (cf News and Announcements). At least we generated a good discussion.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 9 2007, 09:02 AM
Post #25

i like the janitor for aisle clean up idea. if that was the only responsibility then we couldn't get irrate with the mod about other issues. a clear cut minimum responsibility split by two or three regular posters would be acceptable.

and this
~~~~~~~He Who Wears His Ass for a Hat
is freaking funny.

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Nov 9 2007, 07:05 AM
Post #26

(o)(o)

I stick by saying we only need someone to delete the obscene pics. As he is posting under a multitude of different names.

I don't care about other threads.

Honestly, as much as I have advocated for newbies being bumped up, all that's going to happen is the resident douchebag is going to post in the testing thread x amount of times.

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
missjoy
post Nov 9 2007, 07:01 AM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

I haven't really read through the responses so far, but I'm up for a few mods who only delete troll posts. I'm okay with taking a while longer to delete troll topics because they are usually super-obvious, not disturbing any other conversation and easy to avoid.

I think having the power to delete the really obvious, not even replying to a topic or posting icky pictues posts.

The only grey area would be when someone is causing a lot of shit, but actually interacting with the boards (like that psychic woman). Annoying, but possibly just confused and misinformed. Perhaps in the same way we try to ask in a certain thread wheather a new topic should be started we should also have a certain number of people agree on whether someone is a troll before posts are deleted (I mean, it would have only taken about 5 minutes to have 10 people agree that steve is a troll and delete his posts).

I'm rambling a bit - but I agree to a few mods deleting troll posts in bust topics.

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post Nov 9 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(turbojenn @ Nov 8 2007, 06:28 PM) *
I think I'm in a small minority here, in sticking to not wanting mods....I've just seen this go afoul WAY too many times in other forums, power-tripping, etc...that I just would rather happily add to my "ignore" list as often as I need to, and accept the culture here as is.

turbojenn - yeah i'm leaning towards no mods as well. only because i agree with dj-bizmonkey below

QUOTE(dj-bizmonkey @ Nov 8 2007, 10:37 PM) *
i have been a bit hesistant to get involved in this whole issue, as i am relatively new to BUST. i suppose my only fear would be that newbies might be wrongfully identified as trolls simply because they couldn't figure some of the unspoken rules of the forums. some people are going to be offensive and annoying to us simply because we don't agree with what they have to say and i don't think anyone should have the power to silence some one just because they don't share the same opinion.

I mean look at that new HIV thread. That was created by a "troll" and yet it is a thriving thread. Had that been deleted then that discussion wouldn't be where it is now.

QUOTE(mouse @ Nov 9 2007, 12:12 AM) *
here's an idea. kind of strange but it just popped into my head. if we had a mod whose ONLY responsibility was to delete the steves and their posts

i think this is a good idea. two mods who can just delete the steve threads. the ignore fuction was great for steve until he started putting the pics as his avatar as well. can't ignore just his without ignoring everyone's avatars. irritates me because i like ggg avatar and others and don't want to have to turn them off.

+Quote Post
mornington
post Nov 9 2007, 02:54 AM
Post #29

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

QUOTE(sixelacat @ Nov 9 2007, 08:37 AM) *
Really all I'd like to see is a janitor, someone who could clean up obscene pics and the like more quickly and thoroughly than LL does.

that pretty much sums up what I think we need - not someone to patrol newbies (as let's face it, we all fuck up and put our foot in it from time to time) but someone who can zip in and go "oh look, photoshopped dead babies" and press the delete button.

And I do agree that the bonbon response has brought a sense of community - it's certainly provided a giggle when there's nasty shit going on, and simply for that reason I wouldn't want a mod to delete anything on the suspicion of it being "trollish".

+Quote Post
sixelacat
post Nov 9 2007, 02:20 AM
Post #30

Creating demon-radical feminist hybrids since 1974

Interesting, mouse, but I think I'd still vote no for that. To me the "social pressure" of running things by the community forum is enough. We've had some really good threads that haven't been run by the community first, and while it's the preferred method, I'd hate to have not had, say, TG's What Name thread created because she didn't receive permission from the quorum. And I'm not saying she wouldn't have received permission, I'm thinking what if she didn't have the time/inclination to put it through committee, or even just scrapped the idea of asking her question because she'd had time for second thoughts? The resulting discussion was a really good one, and is one of the reasons I Bust.

I'm also fine with the 10 post minimum, more and I think the trolls we did get would be more hard-core; I wouldn't want them to feel invested enough to stick around forever, the way He Who Wears His Ass for a Hat does.

Really all I'd like to see is a janitor, someone who could clean up obscene pics and the like more quickly and thoroughly than LL does. It makes sense to me that it be a Bustie, someone who checks in daily and keeps aBust of the goings on (sorry, couldn't resist the pun). Quite frankly, I don't think LL would ever do more than that anyway, and for good reasons.

--------------------
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!

+Quote Post
mouse
post Nov 8 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #31

Most Likely Procrastinating

here's an idea. kind of strange but it just popped into my head. if we had a mod whose ONLY responsibility was to delete the steves and their posts, but then also, instead of US being able to start threads, perhaps mods are the only ones with the ability to start threads. that way they would HAVE to go through the ocmmunity forum first.

eh?

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 8 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #32

~tiny issue~ one thing about superfluous new threads is that other threads sometimes get bumped right off the board. now this doesn't happen often as valid threads that are seeing action stay near the top BUT sometimes when you go looking to recover an older thread it's gonzo and there's some lovely fundy bullshit or other nonsense taking up the space where it could be instead.

as far as da mystery mod, i think that sucks. what kind of terrible secret would that be to have to have? and how tempting to tell just one friend here, only one who would never let it slip out to anyone else. just one. ok, maybe two. etc.
and it would change that poster's experience here as well. i realize that that's something that some members here would be willing to take on but i think the potential to ruin this for them is huge. it's like doing something that you love as a hobby for work and having all the joy sucked out of it (like when i sewed for a living, gah). i am not willing to put one of you up on the sacrificial alter of deleting power. sorry, i'm not. i like this place the way it is and all of you in it.
i really appreciate how we collectively deal with trolls and other crap. with pie and bonbons and talk of eyeliner and other fun stuff. it's our version of "kill 'em with kindness" and i think it works great. it sure has brought us closer together. it's had an affect on how i deal in real life too so thanks for that girls (and the occassional boy).

i would LOVE to see the powers that be take some of our suggestions a little more seriously. like increasing the number of posts before being able to start new threads, like re-installing the forum greeting that tells posters where to go and gives some meager guidelines. like pinning a few headers for us (in the sensitive threads especially). and most importantly RESPONDING to reports in a timely fashion, dealing with garbage right away, deleting posts, threads and users, and sparing us the agony.

+Quote Post
dj-bizmonkey
post Nov 8 2007, 09:20 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

i have been a bit hesistant to get involved in this whole issue, as i am relatively new to BUST. i suppose my only fear would be that newbies might be wrongfully identified as trolls simply because they couldn't figure some of the unspoken rules of the forums. some people are going to be offensive and annoying to us simply because we don't agree with what they have to say and i don't think anyone should have the power to silence some one just because they don't share the same opinion.

that being said, i think we can all definetly agree that creepy freakazoid douchebags like steve have no place in this forum and no one should have to look at photoshopped dead babies for more than 5 micro-seconds (if that even).

i don't like the idea of mods being able to delete entire threads, as the useless ones usually drift to the bottom anyway.

i suppose i'm open to the idea, with some hesitation, but i'm willing to go with the flow and give deference to those posters that have been here since the lounge's inception.

i agree with turbo's comments about trolls actually bringing us all closer and i also like the idea of anonymity (sp?) of whoever becomes a moderator. maybe we could have a list of 5 or 6 busties, vote but have the outcome be secret? or maybe that defeats the whole purpose......i dunno, like i said, i'm willing to go with the flow on this issue.

makes me think of that scene in 'o brother where art thou?' where john toturro says, 'who elected you president of this outfit?' and they have an election, just the three of them. george clooney says, 'well i'm votin' for yours truly,' and john toturro says, 'well i'm votin' for yours truly too,' and delmar says, 'well i'm with you fellers!'

--------------------
"To lose everything at the edge of such a glorious eternity is far sweeter than to win by plodding through a cautious, painless, and featureless life."

+Quote Post
mouse
post Nov 8 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #34

Most Likely Procrastinating

i'm with turbo--i think the mods shouldn't be known, if we do have them..."wisely chosen busties" is a term that makes me shake in my boots. as much as i love this board and you ladies, everyone's well aware that there are definitely certain factions that have their own little hierarchies, and while this is well and fine, if we start picking superlatives of anything there's bound to be conflict. :/

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Nov 8 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #35

new highs in personal lows daily!

i've been here (off and on) close to forever, and i don't remember there ever being mods...not even in my early buttacup or later butta days. there were, i think, 3 people who i know were here before me, like maimy, ven, and mandolyn (i think q spice and i arrived about the same time), but far as i remember no mods...

on reflection, i think we ought to have 2 mods. one for steve and his ilk across the boards who can delete posts and threads, and another for the sensitive threads who can temporarly suspend offensive posters in those threads, (and possibly delete posts). the sensitive threads, i think demand a different kind of mod, who knows the thread, but is vigilant for noobs/people who may not be aware that certain threads must be aproached with a different, well, sensitivity. they would warn, and hopefully suspend rarely. if steve or one of his clones appears, the first mod would take care of him in all threads. each mod would have their own tool to deal with their task, but i think the sensitive threads need one that is more deft, more delicate, and can keep things balanced.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Nov 8 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #36

Pacifism kicks ass!

Actually, Kitten, I have heard some long-time members say that Bust did have moderators once upon a time. I think it was way back n the late '90s. I believe Quantum Spice has mentioned it before. I have no idea why they were phased out, though.

I am a member of another forum that happens to be moderated. There are a few moderators assigned to each section of the board and two administrators who oversee the moderators. The moderators have certain limitations like those that have been mentioned. They are not allowed to ban users, but they can occasionally suspend someone's account for a week.

I agree that we need to have moderators who can quickly and easily delete obvious troll posts that disrupt the entire Lounge. However, I am exremely hesitant to label anyone as a troll and I would hope that our moderators would feel the same. Insensitive behavior is not always trollish behavior. It may warrent a one week suspension, but perhaps not a total ban.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Nov 8 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

I think I'm in a small minority here, in sticking to not wanting mods....I've just seen this go afoul WAY too many times in other forums, power-tripping, etc...that I just would rather happily add to my "ignore" list as often as I need to, and accept the culture here as is.

That said, if there *were* to be mods, I would agree that they would need to be hand-picked by LL & Co., and that person remain secret on the board. In that case, I think it could be managed. But, I also agree with pepper in the no-fun, demanding nature of the job (been there, done that), and you've got to go into it eyes open, titanium armor firmly in place. smile.gif

ETA: Another thought that keeps running through my head is how the trolls actually have brought a stronger sense of community here - we all come out of our respective residential threads to bang our heads, and talk pastries, and I've definitely gotten to know so many more busties through our shared experience of interlopers. Strange, but it feels true.

Interesting discussion, here, for sure....lots of good things to think about.

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Nov 8 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #38

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

QUOTE(anarch @ Nov 8 2007, 01:12 PM) *
Maybe LL would be more receptive if we proposed something modest to begin with (power to delete posts only, and only those consisting of 1. spam, 2. long bible quotes, 3. photoshopped pics - I think we can all agree on those)? Then after a trial period (3 months? I dunno) if no flamewars happen, we could take another poll on expanding the mods' powers. That would take care of Robo-Fundie.

I like this idea a lot. Especially since it would be the first time that the Board had been moderated a trial period would be nice. And I think that the mods would be able to learn where deleting is needed from the converstations going on in the Busting Trolls thread as well as a few others. Of course some of them are just out and out offensive (thinking the pictures) so little debate would be needed in that case rolleyes.gif . However, the ones that we are uncertain about, well everyone does have the ability to "ignore" someone so unless they have a truly horrific avatar, can probably just be ignored.

Does that make sense?

Thanks, bunnyb, for setting this up.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
anarch
post Nov 8 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

I mean, giving mods basic powers would take care of Robo-Fundie, which is the most pressing issue. Then after seeing how the trial period goes, see about proposing expanded powers to LL if enough of us feel it's warranted.

Sorry for the double post. I guess I should learn how to edit my own posts but I'm not feeling up to it right now.

+Quote Post
anarch
post Nov 8 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

Maybe LL would be more receptive if we proposed something modest to begin with (power to delete posts only, and only those consisting of 1. spam, 2. long bible quotes, 3. photoshopped pics - I think we can all agree on those)? Then after a trial period (3 months? I dunno) if no flamewars happen, we could take another poll on expanding the mods' powers. That would take care of Robo-Fundie.

I like the idea of anonymous mods. Seems to me anonymity would make the job easier on them.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 20, 2014 - 06:05 PM