Reply to this topicStart new topic
> bustie's best friend: the dog and puppy thread
Lunalu
post Aug 4 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #1

BUSTie

(((((((((( totomoto & Ozz)))))))))))

--------------------
"All young women begin by believing they can change and reform the men they marry. They can't." ~George Bernard Shaw
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
totomoto
post Aug 4 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Bye Ozz,

You were the bestest little doggie that ever was. I am glad it was quick. Thanks for being my buddy. I miss you.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Feb 8 2010, 06:24 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks for your responses. glad to hear the phenobarbitol is the common prescription. sassy, glad to hear you're healing.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Feb 7 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #4

sassygrrl

(((dexter))))

As much as it still hurts not to have Bailey around, it did feel good to go to dog training yesterday with Zoe. Someone brought out that their dog had just died (had the same name as Zoe), so we talked about dealing with the process.
Although she was a stranger it did feel nice to talk to someone about having to make that hard decision. We also got a very sweet note in the mail from our vet about Bailey.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Feb 6 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #5

brown delicious

(((nickclick & dexter))) One of our dogs had seizures. I think our vet discovered that he was having some issues with his spine. I think. He got medicine which seemed to help him. Just like AP said, we would just make sure nothing was in the way for him when he seized and comforted him after the seizure.

Let us know what the doc says!

*~*healing vibes for dexter*~*

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Feb 6 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #6

Big Fat Bitch

Um, my mom's old dog was epileptic & on the phenobarbitol. The seizures were scary as fuck, I must say & there's not much you could do about them once they started. He'd start acting restless & weird, would seize, & then be sooooo disoriented. You can't really comfort them when they do seize because frankly, they are pretty much clueless about what's happening. We'd basically make sure he couldn't hurt himself & be down there with him until it was over. After that he needed all the love & support we could give. Imagine if you had a seizure & didn't know what the fuck it was, but that you felt all funky & ill at ease.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Feb 6 2010, 07:15 AM
Post #7

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I haven't had a dog with epilepsy, but when I was a kid, my cousins did. They had to give their dog phenobarbitol. They'd put it in a glob of cream cheese, and oh boy, did he love that! I wasn't with him regularly on a daily basis, but we'd house sit for them when they went out of town, and while we were there I think he had a seizure maybe once.

Sorry, that's all I got.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Feb 5 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

has anyone had a pet with epilepsy? Dexter's had the 3rd seizure (that we know of) yesterday. they don't seem too severe, but scary nonetheless. the vet is waiting for a few more in order to gather a history. he spoke of a couple medications - Phenobarbitol and Potassium bromide. i'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. thanks.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Feb 1 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

oh i'm so sorry to hear. it sounds like you gave him buckets of love during his sickness, which is all a dog really wants.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jan 31 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #10

sassygrrl

Thanks. Having never put an animal to sleep was really hard. I don't think I've ever seen Mcgeek cry that much. Poor guy. As it was really his dog, and not mine. I only have to keep reminding myself that he's no longer in pain. We also did above and beyond what most clients would do (according to our vet).

I still feel like shit though, and the house is very quiet. Bailey barked a lot. Zoe doesn't much. It just feels a little spooky.

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Jan 30 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #11

(o)(o)

(((((sassy and mcgeek)))))

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jan 30 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #12

sassygrrl

Bailey died this afternoon. Horrible horrible day. He died in Mcgeek's lap which made it harder.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jan 27 2010, 11:01 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

(((sassy and bailey)))

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Jan 26 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #14

sassygrrl

Toto, I'm so sorry. Oh, I use those pill pockets to hide the medicine.
Nickclick, I haven't heard anything like that with the exception of seizures.

Ugh. I had to have the bad talk with our vet last week, and the next time Bailey gets sick we're going to have put him to sleep. He's been suffering from heart failure since July. We've had to put him in the hospital about 6-7 times, and now he's getting worse between visits. Right now, he's on at least 7-8 medicines. I've never actually had to deal with a very sick dog. The dogs I had growing up were sick near the end of their lives, but I wasn't there to take care of them. It's so damn depressing.

Our other dog Zoe has some social issues that we're working through. Maybe working with the trainer on a weekly basis seems to be helping. She's just a bit of a shy thing.

At least my cat is still healthy and kicking. It's been a bad couple of years pet wise for us. I'd really love for Miles (cat) to have a friend, but I don't think Mcgeek will allow it.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jan 26 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

toto, sorry to hear. please update us after his visit to the oncologist. cavaliers are so sweet! and i'm sure Ozz is no exception.

Dexter had a 2nd 'shaking episode' this week in a little over a month. i'm reluctant to call it a seizure because i'm not sure. we go to the vet on thursday too. his back legs start shaking and buckling, he lays down, his head starts shaking, a minute or two later i hear a tummy gurgle, and then he stops shaking and resumes puppy-like playfulness. then i take him out and he makes a doody. not especially loose. the first time i thought he had to go so bad that he was having a panic attack about going in the house. but this 2nd time i had just let him in from the backyard. i didn't notice if he pooed or not, but he's usually good about doing what he's gotta do when he's outside. has anyone else seen anything like this?

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Jan 20 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #16

cryostat bitch

know what I used to do with my dog? She eventually got wise to the medication being hidden in food and would spit it out...then I started giving her "treats" in groups of threes. (She liked Velveeta cheese). So I'd give her a little chunk of cheese with no pill. I'd have her shake hands or something for the first one. Then a second one, she'd just get, another one with no pill, but no trick to "earn" it. Then I'd slip the mickey into the third one. Heh. Worked every time.

Can't help you with the hypo though-sorry. can you mix it with beef broth or something?

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Jan 16 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #17

cryostat bitch

hope he continues to do well, toto.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jan 15 2010, 05:58 AM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

(((toto and totopup)))

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Jan 5 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks! so he did well through neuter surgery last week and is recovering just fine smile.gif i thought it might help his marking problem tho. he never has accidents at home but he pees when we visit a house where another dog lives. i guess because he's already 3 years old. we haven't tried any doggie visitors to our house yet. any suggestions? someone told me about some strap that velcroes around his body so he literally can't pee, but that seems uncomfortable to say the least. another friend diapers her dogs. i treat him like a baby enough already... that seems ridic.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Dec 7 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

awww cute!

+Quote Post

37 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 30, 2014 - 12:14 AM