Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Way To Grow, Girl (and Guy)!, the gardening and houseplant thread
pollystyrene
post Aug 5 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #21

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

This is my new friend who I found next to the dumpster outside, pot and all:

Any ideas what he is?

Very interesting about the Jerusalem artichoke, mouse.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mouse
post Aug 2 2007, 01:52 AM
Post #22

Most Likely Procrastinating

ginger, my dollar store is amazing! they even sell produce!!! little bags of 3 avocados or 3 mangos for a dollar? hells yes!

thanks polly--a philodendron it is! i shall name it...uh, phil. tongue.gif

i really like noticing how my plants respond to the sun. the philodendron, spider plant, and oregano especially will actually turn themselves towards light (the polka dot plant and the succulents don't seem to really care). i rotate them regularly so each side of the plant has equal growth but it's pretty awesome how responsive they are. all the leaves turn towards the window. RAD.

in an interesting, related and also linguistic tidbit, if anyone has ever eaten jerusalem artichokes, they get their name not from the city but from the italian word for sunflower, "girasole", because they are related to sunflowers and like sunflowers they follow the direction of the sun. pretty cool yeah?

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Aug 1 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

Mouse, I am so jealous that you can buy house plants at the dollar store! They don't sell them like that here.

I read somewhere that you can use Coke as a weedkiller. Has anybody tried this? Just wondering if it works.

I have always wanted a big Stadhorn fern, like this:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/imag...;fr=yfp-t-501-s
I had a small one a few years ago, but sadly my mother in law over watered it while I was away, and it never recovered.

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jul 31 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #24

Yep, that's a philodendron, mouse.

Spider plants do grow and grow- I have one at my mom's house that I got when I was 10, on a field trip to the botanic gardens. It's been divided up into about 4 pots now and they're all ginormous.

The one plant i wish I could get to survive is a Norfolk Pine. I've had a few over the years and I've never been able to get them much bigger than when I bought them and they only live a couple years. There's a restaurant near my house that has two of them that you walk between when you go in and they're both up to the ceiling, seemingly ready to burst through it. They're green and lush. Mine always wither and die.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
mouse
post Jul 31 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #25

i am REALLY PROUD of my houseplants. i didn't do so well with them before...my mint plant died and my oregano almost died. but then i got the little polka dot plant and then i got another dollar-store plant (which my dad thinks is some kind of philodendron but neither of us are sure...if you know what it is, please let me know--it's the philodendrony one on the right--which btw has about tripled in size since i got it a month ago) and i repotted them all and have been vigilant about watering and talking to them and now LOOK at this! i am so proud:

i got that spider plant at the dollar store two years ago and now it's a MONSTARRRRR! also in the front you can see my new little succulents i got at the lotus festival. i want to start a little succulent garden...any tips for the best thing to plant it in? pot, large dish, etc?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Jul 11 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

It's been so dry here, my flower garden is not looking so hot. Yet I had pull a ton of weeds threatening to take over. How the hell do weeds thrive, while everything else shrivels? Some kind of bug wiped out all my lemon balm, which had been flourishing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Jul 10 2007, 09:18 AM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

double post...

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Jul 10 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

Polly, the speckles are all on one side of every plant on my front porch. It looks like a chemical splattered rather than lil'speckles... but I'll check it out just in case.... I guess fungus could be moving from plant to plant, but only on the side that would receive a splatter drip from the upstairs veranda?

Hmm... I don't know.

Anyways... My zinnias didn't make it either. My lavendar seed attempt bombed, but all my herbs and petunias have thrived (except for the splashy splash)...

All will thrive, but you gotta trim them down every once in a while to facilitate more growth. My dahliletta has taken off that way! I will give my roomie credit for helping with that one. I'm taking all my plants when I move, though.

I've been growing my pruned pieces in water for root growth, then I'm going to transplant into pots as gifts for people! Or just more basil!

I waited too long for jasmine and gardenia... next year I hope!

I hope I planted my tomato plant deep enough in the soil for a strong plant.... I just got it on Sunday so I hope to get some lil' salad tomaters soon!

Does anyone else, or you Polly tongue.gif , know of other plants that have water rooted to be transferred to container?

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jul 9 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #29

Are you sure the white speckles aren't a fungus, moonpie? I think there's one that leaves little white speckles.

So, my zinnias didn't make it. My chives are barely there. My basil is thriving, my mint is making a comeback and the tomatoes are steady. I need to put everything into real pots, though rather than the little temporary starter pots. Hopefully it will continue to grow then.

Except for the basil, I'm not having good luck growing herbs from seeds. I think this will be the last year I do that. I'm going to get the pre-grown ones next time. Cilantro, mint, basil, dill, maybe rosemary. I don't use rosemary too often...maybe in pork roast...y'know what else is good- I went to a fancy awards dinner and they had a rosemary sprig in each of the water glasses. it was so tasty and refreshing, maybe I'll start doing it everyday!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Jul 9 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

Well... i'm still gardening and wanting to talk about it.

So excited to get a new tomato plant, but completely pissed to wake up this morning and find my dill pot had fallen off the porch and cracked my new tomato pot evidently because my hypocritical/party almost every night roomie had some friends over last night. I think all is well with dill and the tomato.. I'm just pissed cause of the disrespect of my things in general. I'm missing lots of antique drinking glasses, fyi.

Sorry for digression..... but if you read my post in "I've a bone to pick with you", you'll understand.

But back to plants:

My upstairs neighbor must have mopped her veranda and splashed chemical water on my plants. Now they have little white speckles, and I fear my basil may suffer, and is of course probably not edible now. I may just move my plants somewhere more safe, remove them from my roomie's enjoyment.

I'm not sure what the chemical was, and I don't want to just march upstairs and ask outright cause she's super nice, and it hasn't happened before... But I'd like to know what she used to clean with... sigh. I hope to pass her soon.

has anyone had any problems somewhat similar to this? What have you done to save the plant or rid it of bad stuff, if possible?

+Quote Post
Moonpieluv
post Jun 14 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

Good luck with the ficus trees shiny! Spidermites sound creepy ... spider and mite. ewww.

Hey all.... I have some neighbors that are really nice and have great plants... I want to fill my unused pots and wondered what types of plants would thrive, root, grow best after plucking a piece?

Ex. a beautiful rose bush (don't know the type) that's pretty large and full with tiny-ish blooms... could that work? same with gardenias?

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Jun 12 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #32

go ahead . . . push the button!

treehugger, eeewww. i do not want spidermites. i have some nontoxic spray that is supposed to be a good insecticide for plants. i will try that. thanks.

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Jun 12 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

Treehugger, trim your rubber plant slowly over time. I have read that can bleed (the white sap) to death if trimmed to drasitcally. I would trim a little bit at a time over a few months. Hope that helps. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Jun 12 2007, 04:03 PM
Post #34

cryostat bitch

QUOTE(shinyx3 @ Jun 11 2007, 09:25 AM) *
plant question - i have two ficus trees in my house and one is doing well and the other although it is not dying (has lots of new fresh leaves) weeps a really sticky substance that gets all over my floor. i have to scrub it up every few days or it gets really bad. what is wrong with my tree?

Shiny, I found this for you:

Q: My indoor ficus is beautiful, but continues to leak sap. I trimmed it before the cold weather started, but I don't think that has anything to do with the sap problem. Please help. I'm getting tired of the sticky mess. (e-mail reference)

A: The sticky sap is caused by feeding insects or spider mites. Examine the plant carefully. Look for signs of webbing and white or brown scale insects attached to the stem or leaves. It is one or the other, but, in a worst-case scenario, it could be both! There are many products on the market that can provide control, if the problem population hasn't gotten out of hand. If the infestation is overwhelming the plant, then you would be better off dumping the plant and starting new. If you don’t fix the problem, the plant will die eventually.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 12 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(mouse @ Jun 10 2007, 11:01 PM) *
thanks polly! that's actually not what i have--the leaves on my plant are rounded on the edge and they're not as dark. however, a little more research leads me to believe that it's probably a polka dot plant smile.gif

Hmm, I always thought those were coleus, mouse. I guess I thought there were just a lot of different types of coleus' out there. Fascinating!

--------------------

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Jun 11 2007, 08:08 AM
Post #36

go ahead . . . push the button!

plant question - i have two ficus trees in my house and one is doing well and the other although it is not dying (has lots of new fresh leaves) weeps a really sticky substance that gets all over my floor. i have to scrub it up every few days or it gets really bad. what is wrong with my tree?

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
zora
post Jun 11 2007, 01:56 AM
Post #37

Substandard- Pouring boiling water on the roots of weeds will kill them organically. The only problem is lugging pots of water outside. Ivy is really really super hard to get rid of. The roots can grow about ten feet underground and having it grow on your house can ruin your siding. I would suggest working in sections or luring your friends over for an ivy exodus. Bribe them with beer or food or both. Once you have the majority of it gone, you can upkeep it. Or you can solarize the area. Lay a thick black cloth down over where the roots are and leave it for about 6-8 months. The theory is the heat absorbed will kill seeds and possibly roots. Good luck!

+Quote Post
mouse
post Jun 10 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #38

thanks polly! that's actually not what i have--the leaves on my plant are rounded on the edge and they're not as dark. however, a little more research leads me to believe that it's probably a polka dot plant smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 10 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #39

Hmm, just from the fact that it has pink on the leaves, I'm thinking Coleus.

As you can see, there's tons of different kinds, so maybe this is what you have?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mouse
post Jun 10 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #40

i have a plant identification question for y'all! i have this little houseplant that i got at the dollar store (yes, the dollar stores in LA sell plants) and i have no idea what it is! it's really small and has a center stem with a symmetrical set of leaves on stems alternating along the stem (ie, the first set goes north and south, the next set up goes east and west). it has green leaves with a mottled light pink pattern on them and it's really pretty; i have no idea what it is! my digital camera has finally died (i'm actually browsing for another online right now) but if that verbal description helps i'd love to know who my plant friend is!

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 25, 2014 - 01:03 AM