Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Too Much Religion For Me To Handle
koffeewitch
post Oct 11 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Here's a study that will confirm what we've all known all along. It seems in the U.S. that atheists and agnostics not only know more about religion that believers...but the more fundamentalist the believer, the less actual religious knowledge they have. The southern bible-thumpers are so butt-clueless it's really kinda frightening.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...quiz-finds.html

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Nov 26 2009, 07:08 AM
Post #2

it's cards on the table time

I did, Tommy.

(Look at the paragraph opposite the 2nd photo of Shakira, in particular...)

+Quote Post
tommynomad
post Nov 25 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Did anyone see Shakira's comments about sex being more important than religion? Take that, fundies.

--------------------
"If I help women to have babies when they can give them love and affection, [those babies] will not grow up to be rapists or murderers.
They will not build concentration camps."
--Dr. Henry Morgentaler

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Nov 22 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #4

It's Calamity Jenn

Don't forget to thank Thor, too biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
and Jeemus
and Krishna
and the invisible pink unicorn
cause they all exist wacko.gif

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 16 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Busties, I have no idea what nutjob just posted because I have used my handy dandy "ignore" button. I invite you to do the same and go about your business.
I have already reported to the mods.

Anyway, (regarding my former post about my local homeschool forum) at the last check we finally got our homeschool forum back to homeschooling issues and free of religious tyranny. Thank Maude. smile.gif

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 15 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm soooo irritated with self-righteous religion-obsessed nutbags who feel the need to shove their point of view down my throat.
I belong to this homeschool forum for people in my city. It is supposed to be an "inclusive" forum for families of all philosophies and backgrounds. The majority of the postings are about free educational events around town, used textbooks for sale, etc.
Last week some haughty self-congratulatory bitch got on the forum to post her views on health care saying she "chooses to PAY for healthcare NOT take government handouts so she has the right to a voice, etc. etc.' We kindy informed her that her remarks could be seen as offensive and to please post them on a political forum or even a conservative homeschool forum. We got all kinds of religious nutbaggery about the health of debate (i.e. it's healthy when it is about their point of view) and the american way. Some of us finally got nasty in return; most of us kept pointing out that there are thousands of forums where such b.s. is appropriate, our homeschool forum is noooooooot the place.

My stickuptheass: Everytime someone crosses the line and goes into partisan-land, it's one of the right-wingers who "can't imagine WHY anyone would be offended" by their ignorant fucking opinion. The rightwingers were actually quoting PHYLIS SCHAFLEY'S BLOG!! Who knew Phylis was even around anymore except as a bad joke told in feminist circles?! Phylis Schafley! Who next? Margaret Thatcher?? I swear these Christian radicals are even nuttier than the image of them I have in my mind. Just like here in the Lounge, we have these nutbag trolls...do WE go over to their forums and get usernames to leave inflammatory comments? Fuck, NO.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Nov 12 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #7

It's Calamity Jenn

I see what you all are saying. Thanks smile.gif

QUOTE(koffeewitch @ Nov 12 2009, 06:49 AM) *
ANd NO, we're not going to stone you J.S. It's a perfectly good question to bring up.

I should've had more faith in y'all, I know. I've become so used to prefacing a statement or question so as not to give anyone the wrong idea. Gotta stop that.

--------------------
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are serviley crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blind faith. Thomas Jefferson

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Nov 12 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

i *think* the term 'Orient' has roots in the West as term used to depict Eastern culture and peoples. in other words, it did not begin in Asia and in turn has been used to describe something as 'other.'

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 12 2009, 07:49 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

I read a kick-ass poem once by an Asian-activist about the word "Oriental". I read it a dozen years ago but I'll try to paraphrase. Oriental is "bucktooth Charlie and laundromats. No tickee, No washee. Oriental means bad drivers and stright-A students" etc. etc. The writer evoked EVERY sterotype the word oriental conjues up. And the attitude of "oriental-looking" meaning "whereever the fuck they are from, they all look alike anyway".
If you're asking WHEN the word was identified as a racist moniker, I would assume in the 1960s and 70s. Obviously because of the second WW, Korea and VIetnam the US was seething with hatred of South Asia. But I agree with AP, oriental is a fine word for carpets and lamps, etc.

ANd NO, we're not going to stone you J.S. It's a perfectly good question to bring up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 11 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

I wish I had an answer for you jsmith. I remember when I was younger that Oriental was a generally accepted term. Somewhere along the line it became unacceptable. What bugs me with the term "Asian" is that people only apply it to people that they would have previously called Oriental. I have never witnessed anyone referring to an Indian person as "Asian" because it's seen as more obvious that the person is Indian (although they could be Sri Lankan or Pakistani so there is still some confusion). I think that basically people are afraid to admit that they can't tell the difference between people who are Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc.

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Nov 11 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #11

It's Calamity Jenn

Hm..... but when did Oriental get a bad connotation when used to describe someone's ethnicity? Is it because it's just too general?

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Nov 11 2009, 09:05 PM
Post #12

Big Fat Bitch

"Oriental" is generally inoffensive as long as it isn't applied to people.

American Heritage Book of English Usage notes that:

It is worth remembering, though, that Oriental is not an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. It is most objectionable in contemporary contexts and when used as a noun, as in the appointment of an Oriental to head the commission. In these cases Asian (or a more specific term such as Vietnamese, Korean, or Asian American, if appropriate) is the only acceptable term. But in certain historical contexts, or when its exotic connotations are integral to the topic, Oriental remains a useful term

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
jsmith
post Nov 11 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #13

It's Calamity Jenn

Don't y'all just love it when people say to you "I'm not racist, BUT I don't think white people and black people should get married."
Uuuuuuuuhhhhhh.... really? Are you stupid, or do you think I'm stupid? I don't know how they can't see the contradiction there.

Y'all, don't stone me, but I didn't know that using the term "Oriental" was a no-no until pretty recently. Can anyone explain to me why? I must say that I like the word "oriental." It's pretty, don't you think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 11 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Ahh yes. That explains it. Reminds me of the time I found an apartment in a brick A-frame house on a quiet wooded street in a great neighborhood...a perfect place for my family. When we went to apply on the rental app, the woman noticed we had dif. last names and asked if we were LEGALLY married. Uh, NO, does it matter? We've been together hella many years and have kids together... Oh, fuck, did it ever matter. The bitch read us the riot act about how a "family" is a husband and a wife married under the sanctity of God...............blah, blah fuckity blahblah.
I love religious fanatics telling me that MY FAMILY is not a "real" family. How's that for some peace, love and Christian tolerance? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 11 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Because it's not Christian, duh! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 11 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Nov 10 2009, 08:58 PM) *

Some gems from my grandmother (as previously mentioned in the family thread) are that Indian weddings aren't really real. She also told me that when my parents were getting married and going through the pre-wedding ceremonies that she was totally shocked because it all seemed so "heathen" to her. Um, wtf? They aren't sacrificing chickens or anything.

That would make me crazy!
How can anyone watch an Indian wedding ceremony and not be taken with it's beauty and struck with awe for a culture that goes back THOUSANDS of years?! The beauty of most Indian ceremonies leaves me humbled and speechless. How is an ancient tradition NOT a real wedding?

--------------------

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 10 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

As another biracial bustie I go a bit crazy with the comments that I get from my family. Unfortunately, I feel like I get shit from both sides! It's like my white grandparents don't see me as Indian and my Indian cousins don't see me as white! They both say offensive shit.

With my grandparents they use terms like "jap" and don't understand why that is completely offensive. As for stuff they actually say about Indian people it's always the same old "Well I'm not referring to you!" excuse. They go on and on about how Indians were taking over England and how great it was that Margaret Thatcher put a stop to that. Well guess what, when you occupy a country for hundreds of years and force people to become British subjects then they damn well should come into "your" country!

Some gems from my grandmother (as previously mentioned in the family thread) are that Indian weddings aren't really real. She also told me that when my parents were getting married and going through the pre-wedding ceremonies that she was totally shocked because it all seemed so "heathen" to her. Um, wtf? They aren't sacrificing chickens or anything.

As for the Indian cousins, first off I just feel like I don't fit in with them. Usually the comments aren't as outright racist but they make jokes about white people being stupid. A lot of time it's simply in the tone of voice. The punjabi word for white is "gora" and it'll just be like "Oh, look at those goras!" Gora isn't a racist term, it literally means white but it's the way they say it.

Surprisingly, though, sometimes they say stuff that is offensive to me as someone of Indian origin. Waaaay back when I first hung out with my cousins from England they kept calling each other pakis and thought it was some big joke. I find that extremely offensive. I guess some people try to own the word but I just thought it was stupid.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Nov 10 2009, 03:38 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

ugh, my Mom will say - the Oriental people, or what are they called now? me - you mean people of Asian descent? easily enough... Asians. at least when she knows someone is Korean or Chinese she will use the correct terminology.

and then every Thanksgiving, Easter, whatever, my parents' Polish (!) neighbor drops by and tells my entire family at least 3 new racist jokes. we all groan, but he lives right next door and he kindly shovels their driveway and watches the house when they're away, so what can i do?

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Nov 10 2009, 02:16 PM
Post #19

Big Fat Bitch

One of those aunts I mentioned? Insists on refering to her Japanese doctor as a "Chinaman". She seems to think it's cute in a folksy way.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 10 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

You just reminded me of the years I spent working in a nursing home with the world war II generation. Many of them referred to the DOCTOR as "that colored boy".

Another great moment happened when this particularly crazier-than-bat-shit lady put her call light on because she had noticed a suspicious looking man in the hallway. He was "rather dark. and different-looking. Not quite one of us ".

The suspicious man was a very clean cut, white guy. Dark haired and very slightly olive complected. Very polite and with his family members visiting his sick grandma. I guess she thought he was there to rape old ladies. If an actual black man came to visit, I have no idea what crazy lady would have done. Is it awful of me to suggest she die on the spot from her terror?

"Greatest Generation" my ass.

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 28, 2014 - 02:53 AM