The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

14 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't U 4get About Me..it's The '80's Again, step back into the future and talk about what was
sunshine
post Aug 23 2006, 06:05 PM
Post #241

Hardcore BUSTie

Freckle, just last year I picked up a couple of Joan Jett albums. Mine went missing after a move... The first time I heard her it was being played on the overhead music system on the school bus, 5th grade. The last time I heard her was yesterday!

Also, how about Chrissy Hynde and the Pretenders? I can't believe her name hasn't been brought to its well deserved glory in here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Aug 23 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #242

cryostat bitch

Okay, I graduated in 1986. So the 80s are SO my decade. I was at a tavern tonight after work (damn I spend WAY too much time in those) and they had the local 80's station playing...within an hour I heard:

Don't you forget about me
Wild Boys
Voices carry
Obsession
Jump
Sunglasses at night

Damn, that took me back.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Aug 23 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #243

sassygrrl

I was 3 in 80, but 13 in 89.... I so love the 80's.

And Joan Jett rocked my world....

So, skinny jeans are making a comeback? What's next? Anyone still have a Members Only jacket? And a swatch? Heh.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Aug 23 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #244

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

I was made in the eighties.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Aug 23 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #245

Hardcore BUSTie

Why are you sorry? I'm the one bemoaning my long lost youth! Blondie was an absolutely brilliant band and Debbie Harry was, actually, God. Still is, in my opinion (a lot of her music is still really great pop and I'd love to hear some of the more dynamic female performers cover her stuff). I remember watching her perform Dreaming on Saturday Night Live wearing what looked like a plastic grey jumpsuit from a design store called Parachute.

I pined for that outfit for months after that. There's a scary piece of clothing that's making its way back: the jumpsuit.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Aug 23 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #246

Hardcore BUSTie

my bad chachaheels, I don't remember any of her music til the '80's. color me sorry for the mistake.

and I cannot believe no one has yet said the revered name of Joan Jet.

could she have been any cooler?

pat 'oh mickey you're so fine' benatar has a candies shoe commerical on tv here lately too.

--------------------
I am a *spark* in this world; get lit.

+Quote Post
musicfit
post Aug 23 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #247

Sixelcat, you're only 2 years older than me. I wouldn't worry about age.

I loved Ferris Beuler's Day Off, one of my favorites, next to the Breakfast Club.

Anybody remember when the Poly 800 synthesizer first came out? I remember my dad lugging that thing home with these cool floppy records that had all the types of sound combinations you could use with a synthesizer. I remember how exciting it was when all the bands were using electronic keyboards...and you could record YOURSELF on TAPE! That was a major excitement for me as a kid. I would sit for hours making up stories on audio tape on my huge black tape recorder.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Aug 23 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #248

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh, you bunch o young'uns. I will not tell you how old I was in the 80's...but I was old enough to get into clubs (even though I was carded too).

Sorry to horrify you even further, but Blondie was the late 70's...and yes, I did see them in concert with a boyfriend who thought Debbie Harry was God.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
mr_falljackets
post Aug 23 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #249

Hardcore BUSTie

I was 6 in 1980, fer pete's sake

I was 11. And I still get carded. Go me. That won't last much longer.

--------------------
Nine!

+Quote Post
falljackets
post Aug 23 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #250

crush groovin'

sixelacat, that was limp bizkit with faith

--------------------
to love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides - Viscott

+Quote Post
sixelacat
post Aug 23 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #251

Creating demon-radical feminist hybrids since 1974

Aww, I think it's sweet when they "discover" songs that have been remade, like, a thousand times. It seems like I'm forever going "not bad, but I prefer the original" and they're like "whaa..?" What was the band that did a metal cover of that George Michael song a while back? (I'm having a senior moment) It seemed like nobody under 20 knew it was a cover....

Although the best had to be on the local college radio the other day when the young DJ wanted to share some new music he had just heard, and it was Django Reinhardt....

Okay, could I make myself sound any older?! I was 6 in 1980, fer pete's sake

*shuffles off with walker*

--------------------
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Aug 23 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #252

Hardcore BUSTie

morrisey (november (my birth month) spawned a monster) & the cure & cowbowy junkies and xtc !

pepper, I had an old grey fedora ( courtesy of my boyfriend) & short hair back then too!
in fact, I was often likened to the girl in Some Kind of Wonderful, which made me feel way cooler than I probably was. and I was way into gloves (not the sleezy madonna fingerless, lacy ones).. from thrift shops & places like that, and even had my sr pic taken w/ the fedora & gloves on, w/ me posed w/ my face resting on my folded hands. my nephew recently saw the picture on the wall at my 'rents and said " is that Auntie? she was good-lookin'!"

hillary duff has re-made several of the go-go's/bangles (?)/blondie music in the last year or so, and truthfully it's not badly done. my issue is w/ convincing frecklette (age 12) that her songs are remakes and not the originals. pisses her the hell off bc she thinks she's making these Grande' Discoveries.

I wanna go dance at that club w/ pepper !!

ps: I was 10 in 1980.

--------------------
I am a *spark* in this world; get lit.

+Quote Post
mr_falljackets
post Aug 23 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #253

Hardcore BUSTie

M.A.A.R.S. Nicely done!

I was deep into Eric B. and Rakim's Paid in Full.

"Take seven mc's put'm in a line
add seven more brothers who think they can rhyme
well, it'll take seven more before I go for mine
now that's twenty-one mc's ate up at the same time"

I cannot tell you how many times we drove around in my pick-up playing and rewinding that verse.

Also, Doug E. Fresh. "six minutes... six minutes...six minutes, Doug E. Fresh you're on.. ah-ah-on"

We would play "Licensed to Ill" all day long every Saturday while we parked at the beach.

--------------------
Nine!

+Quote Post
musicfit
post Aug 23 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #254

I was a child in the 80's, but since I had such a happy childhood, the 80s were the most memorable decade of my life. In 1980 I was 4 years old and by 1989, I was 13 years old. I grew up in the 80s and they were a magical time for me. Everything was larger than life since I was just a little one.

Someone just mentioned "Buffalo Stance." I love that song! It reminds me of the time in middle school when my best friend's cool older sister who was in high school did my hair and made it look amazing. She was playing that song on vinyl (or was it on the radio)? I loved to look through her vinyl. She had all sorts of pop albums, one of which was Belinda Carlisle. I was so jealous. She had the coolest stereo with a record player on it. All my stereo had was a tape deck.

I'm 30 years old now. How old were all of you in the 80s? I think it's interesting to talk about that kind of stuff.

Also, Madonna was the soundtrack to elementary school. I loved Cyndi Lauper...I could go on and on. The 80s were the BEST time for pop music.

+Quote Post
sunshine
post Aug 23 2006, 06:59 AM
Post #255

Hardcore BUSTie

Sybarite, you just brought a flood of memories back to me about High School Pep Rallies and Rob Bass & DJ EZ Rock, It Takes Two. Nothing like that late 80's sound, really.

Van Halen 1984 still lives. I've got it on vinyl and it still blows my mind what those guys were doing back then.

--------------------
"If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden."
--Claudia Ghandi

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Aug 23 2006, 04:47 AM
Post #256

it's cards on the table time

I love Neneh Cherry, especially Buffalo Stance. I remember when I bought her CD; CDs were still new-ish and it was tiny, about 3-4 inches in diameter. So cool. It was stolen though.

I always divide 80s music into 2 groups: pop such as Duran Duran, New Order, Depeche Mode, INXS (early), Wham!, ABC etc etc, and then late 80s dance stuff: S-Express, Salt n' Pepa, Bomb the Bass, M.A.A.R.S., Soul II Soul.

I love Prince; he's so 80s yet in a category of his own.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 22 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #257

"the original ending where Molly ends up with Duckie"

wha...?!

nickname inhighschool? that's right, care of an old, beat up, thrift store fecora score and a short curly asymetrical do...

there's actually a semi-regular 80's night set here with several dj's where you can get in FREE if you dress up. uh-huh, i rock the 80's look hard on those nights, And i dance like a total idiot too. what a way to cut loose. who cares who sees you eh? either they're dressed like an utter moron too or they aren't which is even worse. heh. fun.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Aug 22 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #258

sassygrrl

OMG. I so want to buy an old Atari set. I saw a Robot Chicken episode about Donkey Kong, and had a dream about it last night. Froger, Ms. Pac Man.

Memories.

Rented Fast Times tonight. Heh. smile.gif

Just saw on Amazon that they're realizing new versions of Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful I think at the end of the month. Apparantly, it has the original ending where Molly ends up with Duckie. And Eric Stolz and James Spader. Hot damn.... still.

+Quote Post
sunshine
post Aug 22 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #259

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh and how could I forget all the posters and the albums and the tapes that I had (have) of THE CURE!!!

+Quote Post
cranberrigirl
post Aug 22 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #260

Hardcore BUSTie

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... I only wanted to be SEVENTEEN FOREVER- I LOVE YOU WINGER!!!!!

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 20, 2014 - 04:54 PM