Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

271 Pages V  « < 203 204 205 206 207 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
persona36
post Mar 21 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #4081

BUSTie

the baby powder will work and wont leave a funny scent it almost passes as a deodorant smell:)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Mar 21 2007, 07:40 AM
Post #4082

BUSTie

QUOTE(Eralc Alegna @ Mar 20 2007, 10:57 PM) *

mfc10 - where did yo get the tea tree oil suppositories? Man I want that aci-jel. Why wouldn't they always perscribe that with anti-biotics?

Hi--I used to always buy the tea tree oil suppositories online (just search that term & it'll lead you to sources), but recently discovered a local healthfood store that carries them. The suppository is a vegetable-oil base & doesn't irritate my easily-irritated skin down there. I just break it in half to use. (That way, I get more applications for the $.)

Aci-jel is trickier to come by. I first tried buying it from a British pharmacy online, but it cost about $24 for postage, and I had to pay for both the product & the postage out-of-pocket. I took information about it to my gynecologist (he was wonderful---unfortunately, he was having marital & financial problems and committed suicide last winter!!) and he wrote a prescription for the 85-gram tube. I then took the prescription to my pharmacist & he looked it up in a big catalogue of suppliers & located a source in Huntsville, AL (Qualitest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.). It took a few days to arrive, but my insurance helped pay for it (about $31 a tube). I just googled the word Aci-jel, and Walgreen's came up with it listed, so they can probably get it easily, but it does require a prescription. Your doc would probably write one up for you if you print out info on it from a Website. (A lot of gynos don't know squat about anything besides "standard" treatments for vaginal infections! That's why my gyn was so good--he knew about boric acid, tea-tree oil, etc. and OK'd them.) It stings a little, but you don't need a lot & it sure helps with the vaginal pH level. (I used it at the tail-end of my period, especially.)

All the best,
Maggie C.

+Quote Post
Eralc Alegna
post Mar 20 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #4083

BUSTie

So things are still pretty good here. I've been able to go without wearing pads for the first time in more than a year!!! You have no idea how happy I am (well, you all probably do) I hate pads like nothing else...

Only problem is I had sex on Sunday, and now the little bit of discharge I do have is a red/pinkish color. I suppose it's blood since it's been so long since I've had sex, and the HP and various other things I've been using could have irritated me. I hope thats all it is anyway. One week of meds left so hopefully the sex wont effect things and the discharge will thicken/lighten up.

deprime - go back a few pages. someone just posted a link to get it online

minayun - don't know what tetrasil is. If the flagyl hasn't worked yet I'm sorry to tell you it probably wont. If you're haveing pain and burning these are symptoms I've never had, and I don't think any of us have. Odor and discharge are the calling cards of BV. I'm no doctor but this sounds like something else to me. Go back and get a second opinion. We've all had countless experience with doctors who know less about this than we do.

juls - can't help with the sweat, baby powder?

persona - some ladies here have ordered from them i beleive, but not me. I think the site is reputable, but that says nothing about the individual products...

mfc10 - where did yo get the tea tree oil suppositories? Man I want that aci-jel. Why wouldn't they always perscribe that with anti-biotics?

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Mar 19 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #4084

BUSTie

[quote name='minayun' date='Mar 19 2007, 02:28 AM' post='142632']
I've had the pain and burning for a couple of months. Now that i found out what i have and have medicine I am feeling a little anxious because I'm not feeling better yet =(/quote]

If you are experiencing burning, you may have *both* BV and a yeast infection at the same time. I had this occur twice, a couple of years ago. My gynecologist recommended that I take both oral Flagyl (for the BV) & Diflucan (for the yeast), then after I finished those, if I still was burny, I was to use boric acid vaginally [can get capsules made up by a compounding pharmacy if you get a prescription from a clinician or you can make them yourself using boric acid (Walmart, pharmacies) and empty geletin capsules]. That did it...I've kept the problems away by keeping my vaginal pH acidic (4.5-5.0), using Aci-jel (available with prescription), or Estrace estradiol cream (again, via prescroption). I also insert 1/2 of a tea tree oil vaginal suppository once per week. It helps prevent any BV bacteria or ANY SPECIES of yeast from taking hold in there. These preventives should also be used whenever you take antibiotics. Oh--also take probiotics often!
Best wishes!
Maggie C.

+Quote Post
persona36
post Mar 19 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #4085

BUSTie

hey ladies!
i have been reading for what seems lik days on what all you have done to figure the bv thing out, and i must say i have tried alot in the past... enzara seemed like a joke, works a weeee little bit (stops discharge). HP seemed like it worked for about a day or so, im thinking about ordering some things from this site, have any of you tried their products?

http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/product.a...010&catid=0

+Quote Post
juls
post Mar 19 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #4086

BUSTie

I don't think I have BV, but I'm a nervous person, and when I get nervous, I get sweaty down there. And because I'm paranoid that I will smell because I'm sweaty, I get even more sweaty, and so the vicious cycle begins. Does anyone have to deal with this, and if so, do you have any tips to stop it? I've bought those Summer's Eve wipes but it doesn't seem to be enough...

+Quote Post
minayun
post Mar 19 2007, 01:11 AM
Post #4087

Hello, i was just told friday that I have BV. I ended up going to the emergency room because I was in a great deal of pain. My clinic had thought maybe i had a bladder infection and prescribed antibiotics for that, about three weeks ago, but the symptoms never went away. Earlier during the week i had tried an over the counter yeast infection treatment but didn't work either. So, now that I know what it is, they have put me on Flaygl for seven days. I was wondering, for those who have been on flagyl, how long it usually takes to start feeling better? The doctor had said about 48 hours but i'm not feeling any better yet. Just very, very nauseated from the pills. Also i read something about Tetrasil and just ordered a jar of it from ebay. Does anyone know if it can actually be put "inside" the vagina? I see alot of you have had long term battles with this, i just hope mine goes away. Anything you can tell me would be really helpful and hopeful. I've had the pain and burning for a couple of months. Now that i found out what i have and have medicine I am feeling a little anxious because I'm not feeling better yet
=(

+Quote Post
deprime
post Mar 18 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #4088

BUSTie

i need some flagyl fast! blah, does anyone have strategies for getting your doctor to prescribe you some ? (the last time i went to the gyno, the cultures came back negative for BV... but i'm in BV hell right now, so I want to try the suppositories thing!)

i am so depressed about this -- nothing has worked, nothing.

until we find a cure,
deprime

+Quote Post
Eralc Alegna
post Mar 16 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #4089

BUSTie

Well I started antibiotics on wed and so far today things are looking up!
I'm still having discharge but it's mostly thicker, clear stuff and NO SMELL!
So hopefully this is the beginning of the end, for now anyway. I'm not confident that I'll be "cured" but it's been a long time since I was symptom free even for a little while. I just hope that I can kick this before I go to Jamacia in december...
I bought 2 types (brands/concentrations) of acidophillus today and am going to use it daily both orally and vaginally. The insert with the meds said it's a pretty strong antibiotic and I'm taking a lot, so I don't want a new yeast infection, and I don't want a reocurrence of BV if I can help it.

+Quote Post
JustMeCeeCee
post Mar 15 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #4090

I am going to try the HP wash. I just don't want to try everything all at once, or I won't know what's working when something does start to work. I thought about using one of those little suction thingies that you use to suction a baby's nose with for the HP. I don't know what they're called, but I figure if you squeeze the HP out of it slowly, maybe it won't gush back out. A turkey baster might work too...just kidding smile.gif. I used the BA last night, and I only had one gush of watery discharge when I first got up this morning, and nothing since. There's been no smell today either. I'm going to use it tonight & tomorrow night, and I'll do the HP wash on Saturday to wash away any risidual BA before I see the fiance Saturday night. I am taking my acidophilus twice a day religiously, though, and will continue to do that regardless of whatever else I do.

Thanks for all your suggestions!!!

+Quote Post
pianogirl
post Mar 15 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #4091

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(JustMeCeeCee @ Mar 15 2007, 01:56 PM) *

That is so good to hear, because I'm thinking that once I get my estrogen levels regulated, mine will go away too. Hope is a good thing smile.gif

Welcome Cee Cee

The estroil worked for me and I didnt have hot flashes but I had a dry vagina. It took over a month to work but well worth it. I also did the HP wash a few times and at first it wasnt effective (I was using a medicine dropper) but if you use a funnel it is great. THe boric acid I used to use for months but now it seems primitive as compared to the other suggestions the ladies here have compiled/tried.

Try the HP wash CeeCee, you wont have the runny discharge as you will on the boric. Also when on the boric I wouldnt let my BF go down on me for fear of him getting poisoned, it may sound silly but the HP is cleaner. For some ladies the HP didnt work but for some it did so please give it a try.

Thanks

+Quote Post
JustMeCeeCee
post Mar 15 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #4092

QUOTE(neverending @ Mar 15 2007, 01:38 PM) *

Hi CeeCee! As you already know I cured my bv with estrogen=estroil. I too had hot flashes (especially at night), dry vagina, etc. I hope everything works out for you and welcome to the board!

That is so good to hear, because I'm thinking that once I get my estrogen levels regulated, mine will go away too. Hope is a good thing smile.gif

+Quote Post
neverending
post Mar 15 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #4093

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi CeeCee! As you already know I cured my bv with estrogen=estroil. I too had hot flashes (especially at night), dry vagina, etc. I hope everything works out for you and welcome to the board!

+Quote Post
JustMeCeeCee
post Mar 15 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #4094

Hi Ladies, I'm new here. I've been lurking for the past couple of days, and I'm glad i found you. I knew there had to be others out there sufferring from this awful problem too. I was diagnosed with BV 3 years ago right about the same time I started having hot flashes and night sweats. (After reading some of the articles posted here, I'm guessing my BV stems from a hormonal imabalance (low estrogen levels). I've done all the flagyl, metrogel, cleocin cream, blah, blah, blah, and none of it works for very long. I have put off using synthetic hormone replacement because I'm afraid of it, but I have recently begun using a combined natural estrogen/progesterone cream (bio identical hormones). I've been using it during the second half of my cycle for the last couple of months (because from what I understand, if you are still having a period, you only need hormone support during the second half of your cycle to get rid of the hot flashes and night sweats). So far, it has greatly reduced my hot flashes and night sweats, and now I am hopeful that if I can get my hormone levels straightened out, the BV will go away too.

In the meantime, I wanted to find something that would be a more immediate solution for the odor and the discharge. Mine is so much worse during sex. My fiance is very tolerant of the problem, but he has mentioned it a few times, and I know it bothers him. Hell, it bothers me, and it's my smell.

I see that you all use many different methods to control BV, like acidophilus, BA, HP, different antibiotics, etc., but I was wondering if any of you have combined these methods with the continuous use of acidophilus probiotics? I'm kind of thinking out loud here after readding all the posts, and since BV seems to be caused by the lack of lactobacilli causing a PH imbalance, that using probiotics continuously would be a must no matter what method you're using to control the BV. Since most of these methods, especially BA and antibiotics kill all the bacteria, not just the bad ones, it kind of makes sense to me that you would need to replenish the good bacteria while you are creating a better environment for them to live in.

I'm thinking I'm going to try use the BA for several days along with acidophilus, and maybe use the HP wash right after sex to see if that helps.

This is a very embarrassing and difficult thing to live with. I look forward to hearing more of your treatment ideas, and how the different methods are working for everybody.

It's nice to meet you all!!

CeeCee

+Quote Post
Eralc Alegna
post Mar 15 2007, 08:53 AM
Post #4095

BUSTie

Thanks a lot Jewels, I hope so too. It's been a loing time since I've taken anything besides metronidazol so maybe the clindamycin will do the trick. If not I'm all over the flagyl, thanks for the link.
Plus I never thought I had a yeast infection too so it could be what has been keeping me from getting results with the hp, boric, folic acid, estroil and the slew of other remedies we've all tried. And hopefully it'll stop the itchy cracky bleedy exterior problem!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and thank you all so much for the kind words and continued support!

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Mar 14 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #4096

Hardcore BUSTie

Here's the website I purchased from the last time.

http://www.discount-rx.net/drugs/pageMaker...drugBrandId=634

This is the one that has the Live Online Help.

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Mar 14 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #4097

Hardcore BUSTie

Eralc: Sorry about your experience. Doctors SUCK ASS. And the worst part, I think they get kick backs on the med's they prescribe.

Hopefully this round of med's might do the trick for you. If not, seriously think about using the Flagyl.

I'M STILL SMELL FREE!!!

+Quote Post
Eralc Alegna
post Mar 14 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #4098

BUSTie

Another new doctor, another condecending look and attitude, and another round of anti-biotics. Turns out I had a yeast infection AND bv this time so I took Diflucan and started a round of clindamycin ( 2pills, 3x a day, 2 weeks) so at least she's not afraid to get aggressive. She refused to check my hormones though saying that if I get my periods than there's no problem.

She also completely brushed off my mention of something new my sister found for me, and article in a magazine for nurse practitioners about Cytolytic Vaginosis and Lactobacillosis. Turns out the problem for some women can be too much lactobacilli present in the vagina. I don't think this is me, but if you have problems with whiteish discharge and no smell this could be you. I'd goole it to find out more. The magazine is called Advance for Nurse Practitioners. Hope this helps someone!

I also said that I would like to try flagyl vaginally but she seemed very judgemental and when I said, "ya know, instaid of metrogel" she said, "but orally, right?" and I just caved and said yes. it wasn't worth fighting for. If her meds don't work than I'll just get it online and try it myself. Bitch...

At least I'm back on track with the Guardasil and got to address a few other things I had been worried about. I will let everyone know how this goes for me.
Jewels - hold on to that doctor for dear life! You really are very luck to have him!
I hope my insurance covers a reproductive endocrinologist and than I'll know for sure wether or not this is a hormone thing...

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Mar 13 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #4099

Hardcore BUSTie

No, not since I've done the Flagyl. I did take the Boric with me, because I developed a huge rash on my arms and forehead. They were actually pretty interested in the Boric, and where going to do some research on their own. They said, my rash was internal, and they didn't they it was from the boric. WELL.... I did the Boric for the first time last July, and my rash is still here, and has never gone away. It went away for a little bit, but I used boric again, a few months ago and it came right back. So, that is why I don't use boric.

Either way, my doctor is open to everything, so, he would probably say, more power to you!!

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Mar 13 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #4100

Hardcore BUSTie

hey jewels i have one more question and then that's it i promise! since you've done the flagyl have you gone to the doctor? or told a doctor that you've done that?? just wondering what they said to you if you did. ok thanks again.

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 203 204 205 206 207 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
10 User(s) are reading this topic (10 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 20, 2014 - 08:11 PM