The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

97 Pages V  « < 94 95 96 97 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
ris
post Apr 30 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #1901

Hardcore BUSTie

Warning: this post may be disjointed and/or incoherent. I'm killing time as I wait for my dinner to be delivered. I started to fall asleep but was jolted awake with severe hunger pangs.

Ok, so I've had a productive weekend after beating myself up on Friday for not running. I went out dancing that night. I allowed myself to sleep in on Saturday, but then went for a 3-mile run, and then over to my best friend's place where I helped her pack up her apartment 'til midnight. This morning I rode my bike to yoga. Had a great class, then a great (and rather large, but healthy) lunch, and rode around the park and home. Ran some local errands, and then threw on my running clothes and went to Central Park. On the train, I was thinking that I was pretty tired and should just run the route for next week's 5K. It was my first time running in Central Park. I didn't know how bad the hills would be or how I would deal with them. I even gave myself permission to walk part of it if I felt fatigued. Well, I am proud to say that I did not walk any of it, in fact, I ran/jogged the full fucking loop--6 MILES! That's twice as much as I had set out to do today! That's also THE FURTHEST I'VE EVER RUN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE! I felt great afterwards. I was full of energy and even thought about going out for a drink tonight to celebrate. Well, I got home and crashed. Big time. I don't even have the energy to cook or go out and pick something up. So, take-out's on the way. In the meantime, I'm finishing off a liter of Smart Water.

Ok, just ate my food. Feeling much better.

Wow, Yummy, you were a track star! I was never even on the track team. My goal time is 30 minutes. I'm not that fast yet. Well, I can be faster if I'm running a short distance, e.g. I can run a 9 min mile if I'm only running a mile... oh, and if it's flat! ;) I don't really expect to get to be that fast. I'm a rather short girl. (But then again, I know a Bustie shorter than me who's a pretty fast runner.)

Crinoline, good for you and your mom! This is such a great time of year to do this! Like Syb said, yoga's amazing for you, but I don't know how it is for significant weight-loss. But it may get her strong and limber enough to do other types of exercise. Do you think that cycling would be bad for her ankle? If not, the stationary bike might be a good idea--also the eliptical. What about some of those aquacise-type classes? Those are supposed to be nice and easy on the joints.

Good for you, Anna K. I studied ballet for 10 years. I was even a dance major my first year of college. I've tried a few times over the past decade to go back to class, but each time just breaks my heart. Have you been attending any performances?

I'm happy that everyone's doing so well!

Ok, I'm gonna pass out now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Apr 30 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #1902

it's cards on the table time

Artemis that is awesome.

Ris, tae bo is being cut back because the instructor has developed a knee problem, so I'm somewhat concerned she's still able to teach at all... and of course that her knee is ok. (Makes me a little wary of what tae bo might be doing to my knees, but so far so good, and I do really like it, as I've raved here before.)

I did some tae bo stuff at home today actually and it rocked. Good fun and made me feel less lazy on a rainy Sunday.

IME swimming is great for an overall workout, especially for heart and lungs, but not great for losing weight. I swam a half mile 4 times a week for a while, and it actually bulked me up. What about some gentle yoga to start? I remember reading you only lose weight if you break a sweat while exercising.

+Quote Post
lucizoe
post Apr 30 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #1903

Mr. Flibble's very cross.

anna_k, that is so awesome! I wish wish wish I had more confidence...I haven't danced since I was a kid and always wish I could start again...just feel too old, too chubby, too silly looking...

Yay for anna!! and all the healthy Busties!!

+Quote Post
anna_k
post Apr 30 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #1904

BUSTie

I've been doing ballet once a week for five months now, and I really love learning new moves and holding my balance and coordination. I used to have a poor sense of balance, where I couldn't ride a bike, roller-skate, or ride on a skateboard. Now I can stand on one foot while bending my leg in "attitude" for 30 seconds at a time. I love to do arabesques, balancés, grand battements, chassés, pirouettes, and sissonnes. (anyone who has practiced ballet can probably guess what these terms mean).

I love doing this part in class:
Adage, Adagio [French: a-DAHZH] Adage is a French word derived from the Italian ad agio, meaning at ease or leisure. English ballet teachers use "adage," the French adaptation, while Americans prefer the original Italian. In dancing it has two meanings: (1) A series of exercises following the centre practice, consisting of a succession of slow and graceful movements which may be simple or of the most complex character, performed with fluidity and apparent ease. These exercises develop a sustaining power, sense of line, balance and the beautiful poise which enables the dancer to perform with majesty and grace. The principal steps of adagio are pliés, développés, grand fouetté en tournant, dégagés, grand rond de jambe, rond de jambe en l'air, coupés, battements tendus, attitudes, arabesques, preparations for pirouettes and all types of pirouettes.

+Quote Post
lucizoe
post Apr 30 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #1905

crin, what about swimming?

+Quote Post
yummymum
post Apr 30 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #1906

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey Ris, what is your goal time?? I'm curious because I was just thinking the other day what my goal time would be. Of couse, everything is relative. And I just got to the point where I think I could even finish a 5k. But at the end of the summer, I would love to be able to do it in 25 mintues. I used to be a good runner, and still hold 2 school records at my HS. So even after 2 pregnancies and 3 kids, I would love to get somewhere in that vicinity. Although, I have taken 10 yrs off! LOL Anyway, it motivates me to read about your running.

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Apr 30 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #1907

Hardcore BUSTie

This summer my mother and I are launching our campaign against our wieght. I'm worried though, because she is in her 50s and has had ankle surgery, so no jarring exercise. She should lose 40 or so pounds to really be healthy. Can anyone recommend an exercise that will be low impact on her ankle but high impact on her wieght? Thanks

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
cinegirl
post Apr 30 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #1908

Hardcore BUSTie

nice work, artemis! I have free passes to the LIC YMCA if you ever want to some with me of an evening.

--------------------
read what i'm reading at Reading is my Superpower

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Apr 28 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #1909

the moistiest

(bad catlady, bad catlady! no work out yesterday, got drunk last night and ate carbs at 3 am; too hung over to work out today, ate too many carbs today as well; locked into some god awful wedding event all day tomorrow, no working out tomorrow, either. sunday, you best be bustin' yo ass.)

+Quote Post
ris
post Apr 28 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #1910

Hardcore BUSTie

ARTEMIS! That's fabulous! 17 lbs is amazing! (Not that you weren't already stunning, but you must feel great! And I'm assuming that this is in addition to the 2 lbs of mucous you lost when you were sick and the 160 or so pounds ;) you let go of around that same time.) Good to know about the soy yogurt. I really love this recipe. It took me a few batches to play around with it, but I think I've got it now.

Dragonbait, I'm running the Nike Women's Marathon in SF to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. So, that means that TnT owns my ass til the end of October. Thanks so much for your offer. I probably will PM you once training starts. Oh, and if anyone would like to make a tax-deductible donation to the cause (I've signed a committment to raise an assload of moooolah), PM me and I'll send you a link to my fundraising homepage where you can donate online.

But, I'm starting small: I have a 5K next Saturday to raise money for women's cancers. Today I exceeded my goal--I raised 130% in 5 days!

And right now I'm busy beating myself up for not running today. I rode my bike. I made it to yoga. I want to run. BUT I'm going out dancing with my friends tonight as a last hurrah for my best friend who is moving out of NYC and getting friggin' married. We're meeting for sushi at 10 and should hit the dance floor by midnight. I'm afraid that if I go do my four miles now that I won't have enough energy to really enjoy myself tonight. That is what the logical Ris says, but another part of me, this little insane person who I have not known before in my adult life, is experiencing major guilt about wanting to take a nap instead. I have a goal time for the 5K, and I keep thinking that if I don't run today, that I won't reach it. I will run tomorrow. I will run tomorrow. I will run tomorrow. (I'll just keep repeating this to silence the little insane person.)

+Quote Post
lucizoe
post Apr 28 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #1911

Artemis, that is so inspiring...I finally feel like I'm slowly coming out of the SAD thing...next week Mr.Luci and I are waking at five to go walking...hopefully we'll be up to running in a month or less...

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Apr 28 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #1912

PANTIES! ew.

Voodoo, I have to agree that it sounds like your situation would be better off evaluated by your doctor. But seriously, walking is the best thing ever.

Dragon, I don't take anything for water retention. Again, cut down on the salt, maybe?

Artemis, love, stay a while! :-)

I'm wearing a red dress suit today and indulging in a little bit of wardrobe-induced happiness. Yay!

And if any of you care... if I don't post here for a while, it only means that I'm buckling down with work and getting stuff in early so I can take on more responsbilities. Whoo!

+Quote Post
artemis27
post Apr 28 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #1913

Hardcore BUSTie

*delurks*

You rang?

It should be fine to replace regular yogurt with soy yogurt with that amount, and for that purpose. But I wouldn't recommend applesauce; it doesn't have the protein that yogurt (regular or soy) has, which you need to bind the ingredients together. A good portion of the fat in the muffins has already been replaced by the banana puree, and taking out any more will make them dry and crumbly.

They sound awesome, btw!

(Oh, and just so y'all know, just lurking here has been inspiring. I can now run a mile without being tuckered afterward, I've lost 17 pounds since January, and my diet has improved. Yay!)

/delurk

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Apr 28 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #1914

Hardcore BUSTie

Voodoo, if you have the money, definitely try to talk not only to your doctor about exercise but also to meet at least once with a personal trainer to customize a workout that will accommodate your spinal issue. Back problems are scary, NOT something to mess around with. That said, most workouts can be modified to low-impact (read: not jumpy) versions. I do low-impact options myself a lot of the time because I have weak knees. For instance, instead of classic jumping jacks, I keep the arms going but do the legs one at a time, stepping out to the side then in instead of jumping them out and in.

Congrats and good luck on your decision to make some lifestyle changes.

Dragon, I don't know how to cut down on pill-induced bloating (besides maybe avoiding salt that week?), but I can say that on Yasmin I get little to no water retention. Neither does my sis, who's also been on Yasmin for years. In fact, Yasmin gives me no side effects at all, except taking away my acne. (Score!)

+Quote Post
dragonbait
post Apr 28 2006, 09:03 AM
Post #1915

Hardcore BUSTie

voodoo, I agree with your man - your body might be going into "starvation" mode and hanging onto every calorie it can, cause it's not getting enough to burn off. Seems counter-intuative, but if you ate three small, balanced meals a day, you might see more pounds drop than if you starve yourself.

Since we keep talking about the pill, can I ask if anyone uses midol or anything to help with the water retention bloat that comes with the pill? I just went back on after three years off - it's been 3-4 months now - and I swear I get so much puffier on the pill than I did off of it. I've already complained to my doctor and switched pills once, I'm on tri-levlen. It drives me absolutely batty - I work so hard to stay healthy and fit, and then for a week and a half out of every month I have this sudden beer gut! Of course, I finally faced up to the fact that I've gained a little weight these past months, all that sitting around at my desk eating while I finished my dissertation. So I'm really working on portion control and saving sweets and wine for special occasions, rather than making them daily occasions. Any suggestions on the water retention?

Ris, what race are you running? PM me if you have any training questions (though let me know in here if you do, I never check that e-mail account). That's so cool, I miss marathon training. Speaking of, I'm off for a run!

+Quote Post
ris
post Apr 28 2006, 08:45 AM
Post #1916

Hardcore BUSTie

Welcome, Voodoo Princess. With a condition like that, you should ask your doctor what kind of exercise would be ok for you.

Hey, Sybarite, you should talk to some of the people in your class and see if a good deal of them feel the same way you do. If so, maybe you could all write letters to the general manager of the gym about keeping two tae bo classes a week.

Keep it up Kbot! It sounds like you're doing great!

Catlady, I think yoga at home is great if you have already taken classes. Teachers move you into the right alignment in the asanas. Over time, you can feel when your body is properly aligned. They also show you where you're "holding on." Plus, I just get so much more out of chanting when it's in a group. The sound vibration in the room is so powerful. Speaking of which I need to get some breakfast in me so I can bike over to class. I haven't been to yoga since last Friday, and I've been a cranky, tense bitch without it.

Lucizoe, have you moved to NYC yet?

+Quote Post
voodoo_princess
post Apr 28 2006, 06:57 AM
Post #1917

Hardcore BUSTie

I usually lurk here, but I have some questions and such, so..... I am thinking it is time for me to become active and start exercising as I have been "bigger" for a while now and though I don't gain, I don't lose either. There is absolutely NO excuse for me, as I do not work, and only stay at home and sometimes watch friends children. I have been looking at the Tae Bo videos and have found the full set at ROSS discount store for about $10.00, that's good right? So, I was wondering if the Tae Bo has alot of jumpy, bouncy stuff that might be jarring to my back? There is a piece of my spine that is broken off and lodged into my spinal cord. The neurosurgeon will not operate with hopes that the piece will "float" and it does not act up all the time, but when it does, it it BAD! I just want some type of workout that will burn the fat, but not really jar the back too much. I can definitely be active, run, bike, jump etc. I just try to be a little careful, so the spine piece doesn't shift into the cord too much. As long as there is not ALOT of flat footed jumping, I'm ok.
I would prefer to excersise at home and the main goal right now is to burn fat. I have good mucsle tone but it's under the fat.
I don't eat very much, at all, which the Mr. says is bad for me, but I am not hungry!!!!! I tried drinking those slim fast things just to have some sort of "meal", but usually I skip those too. I'm not sure why I eat so little and still stay big, I guess I just have one of those metabolisms. The Mr. says it's because I eat so little, that when I do eat it all turns to fat. That figures.....
So, does anyone have an idea for fat burning, that I can do at home, that is active, but not overly jarring? Any other tips? I've been reading the archives so I've picked up a few things. Thanks!

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Apr 28 2006, 06:02 AM
Post #1918

it's cards on the table time

Raisin, I hear ya. I'm actually at the stage where I miss tae bo if I don't do it twice a week, not just for the results but because I enjoy the workout itself. Which is why it sucks that it'll be cut back.

Saying that, I've been really lucky. The classes take place at my regular gym just down the road for my office and are included in membership fees, which are €30/month. I initially joined for the pool and sauna and steamroom, but these classes have been the best bonus. I knew it was all too easy...

CClady, that's exactly my concern. I can probably manage to recreate the movements, kicks etc, but I won't know whether or not I'm doing them properly. Still, if there's still one class a week hopefully I won't get too far off track.

+Quote Post
lucizoe
post Apr 27 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #1919

there are free yoga classes directly.across.the.street from my apartment. I will go someday, I swear.

For now, though, as soon as I get over my transitional agoraphobia, I'm going to start running in the mornings again. Yup. Totally.

*headdesk*

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Apr 27 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #1920

PANTIES! ew.

I love being on the pill and want to stay on it for as long as I can. It's just about killed my sex drive, but at least in my 30s I don't have to deal with crazy irregular periods and pimples (well, not many), like some of you have mentioned.

Ris, I was only asking because I know flaxseed has a very short shelf life. I don't know if one is better, fridge or freezer, but I'm sure it beats leaving it out on the counter. What do I know?!

ETA: You know exercise is officially part of your daily routine when, after you exercise, you come home and you forget to circle the day on a little calendar you have hanging up on the wall to specifically motivate you to exercise! Ha.

+Quote Post

97 Pages V  « < 94 95 96 97 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 28, 2014 - 09:25 PM