Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

40 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Empress's New Clothes: The Apparel thread
auralpoison
post Jun 29 2010, 04:00 AM
Post #21

Big Fat Bitch

Pssssst! Helenk79! Stop by our Newbies Thread & introduce yourself.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
helenk579
post Jun 29 2010, 03:15 AM
Post #22

QUOTE(epinephrine @ May 15 2010, 11:03 AM) *
Scored some sweet items on clearance at the WIN store the other day. Got two light, summery, embroidered cotton skirts, one brick red and just below the knee with a layered flounce hem, and a shorter black one without ruffles; a comfy pair of yoga pants; a long, black, stretchy tunic top; a black t-shirt with elastic ruffled trim, kind of like this; a retro sleeveless high-necked silver and black patterned top; and a really cool straw hat trimmed with black ribbon and with a big bow at the back. My new favourite outfit is the red skirt with the black ruffled top, black footless tights, these shoes in black, a wristful of thin silver bangles, and red polish and lipstick. It looks perfect with the hat, too.

Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 6 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #23

Big Fat Bitch

No problem, Syb. That dress is hawt & I know you're gonna work it! And SHOES!

While I am impressed with the gear I got from Asos? Fucking with them was a NIGHTMARE. Initially there was some kind of computer glitch that wouldn't accept certain US addresses properly. Although they assured me that they were working on it & would get back to me when the problem was resolved they never did. I politely bugged them for literally WEEKS. They finally figured it out & I got my stuff, but since they don't offer much in the way of package tracking I wasn't here the day they tried to deliver. I wound up hanging around for several days because it got handed off to UPS & I was then charged a brokerage fee of $44.19.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Jun 6 2010, 07:35 AM
Post #24

it's cards on the table time

Spot-on advice AP. I bypassed the edict of wedding attendance: It's Not About You. While I am fond of the dress I have had to accept that it's more suitable for a nighttime bash than a wedding. Good advice on the shoes too--over here it seems like everyone's pairing structured heels with short skirts, whereas I have long felt that heels with a short skirt can sometimes be a bit Vegas. In any case it turns out I can't go to the wedding after all--but i might invest in some sandals anyway. Cheers!

I have to say I am (so far) impressed by asos.com. Cute, trendy gear reasonably well-made and surprisingly flattering--and they deliver to me!

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 4 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #25

Big Fat Bitch

QUOTE(sybarite @ Jun 4 2010, 03:37 PM) *
I found a great dress (in the dark blue). It arrived today and actually fits, although it's a wee bit short. I'm hoping to wear my black cage heels with it, but am not sure they will work: they're patent leather and the dress is a flimsy polyester mix.

Y'know, that dress, while being hella cute, Syb? Is *quite* short. Personally, I'd never wear anything shorter than knee length to a wedding (Weddings/funerals being the two affairs where I do bow to fashion convention!). It is the bride's day & if you have the gams to pull that dress off, you will certainly be distracting! Rowr!

I'd probably go with embellished flat sandals over heels. Something like these Guess sandals, these Moda Spana sandals or these Naughty Monkey sandals. I went with pewter/silver since black/blue seems so obvious (Even if the pairing is commonly viewed as verboten!), the color change kicks it all up a notch. I do like the way the blue stones on the NM ones would be picked up in the dress itself. Are you planning any kind of wrap or anything? A clutch perhaps?

QUOTE(starpiste @ Jun 4 2010, 04:32 PM) *
I've been struggling over the last few months to develop my personal style. I feel everything I wear is kind of generic, and I'd really like to have more fun and really feel like myself in my clothes. I'm trying to get my make-up and hair situation out of a rut, but being on a budget, I'm finding it had not to buy just basics for clothes.

Any thoughts on getting out of a clothes rut?

How do you feel about accessories, Starpiste? They are an inexpensive way to put your own personal flair on the basics; change things up by adding signature/statement jewelry, scarves, coloured/patterned tights, fun shoes/bags, the odd hat, etc. Thrift/second hand stores & places like H&M or Forever 21 have interesting baubles/accent pieces on the cheap.

Yesterday I wore a plain white burnout t from Alternative Apparel (eBay) & boyfriend jeans (Asos) with a cute b&W scarf on my head, a pair of cobra hoop earrings (Urban Outfitters), a molar pendant (Asos), a studded Betsey Johnson watch (eBay), a chunky black matte cube ring (Forever 21) & a pair of black "studded" flipflops (Old Navy). I topped it off with a purple 3/4 length sleeve cardi (Old Navy) & a black purse with silver accents (Alloy). I think I looked good without being too matchy-matchy.

Oh, & my nails were this fantastic pale, milky neutral. I love unexpected nails & a six dollar bottle of polish can make my whole week!

--------------------

+Quote Post
starpiste
post Jun 4 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

I can picture that dress and those kind of shoes sybarite. I'm super picky about matching shoes with things too.

I've been struggling over the last few months to develop my personal style. I feel everything I wear is kind of generic, and I'd really like to have more fun and really feel like myself in my clothes. I'm trying to get my make-up and hair situation out of a rut, but being on a budget, I'm finding it had not to buy just basics for clothes.

Any thoughts on getting out of a clothes rut?

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Jun 4 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #27

it's cards on the table time

It's June, which means once again I have a wedding that I need a dress for. At a fairly advanced age I have still to master a workable occasion dress/shoes combo. Part of the problem is that I'm super picky about shoes, basically because I am bad with heels (even after the recommended practice for a week at home) so have problems finding heels formal enough.

I found a great dress (in the dark blue). It arrived today and actually fits, although it's a wee bit short. I'm hoping to wear my black cage heels with it, but am not sure they will work: they're patent leather and the dress is a flimsy polyester mix. (They're kind of like this, except with no mesh (ew) and with a wider heel.) Any advice appreciated...

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post May 29 2010, 05:49 AM
Post #28

Big Fat Bitch

Very jealous of your cloche, Epi. Curse my gigantic head!

I also like the ModCloth swimsuits, but there is no way that the halter tops would flatter my boobs. Every year I look at at least a couple of their suits, but without a soft cup or something it'd be tits ahoy, I'm afraid!

What do we think of the burnout tee trend? I have a couple tanks I got last summer that I liked a lot, they were worn-in just so & very cool. I know Rachel Zoe (I DIE!) has been touting a like, scrillion dollar version ($115 for a fucking tee shirt!) & she offered this BDG tee from UO as a real world option. I ordered a couple of unisex Alternative Apparel ones from eBay & a couple white ones from Danskin as there is no way I could cram my boobies into one of the BDG ones from UO. I like.

--------------------

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post May 29 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

Got the coolest black and white herringbone tweed cloche hat at Value Village today for the sweet sweet price of five dollars! They also had a cute black and white polka dot strapless dress which I almost bought, but somehow managed to put back on the rack. Still haven't decided if I regret that or not.

I've set my sights on a nice bathing suit for summer, something pinup-y to flatter my curves. I'm digging these:
bikini
one piece

So cute...and so out of my miserable student price range. Oh well. I can dream.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post May 19 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #30

Big Fat Bitch

Oh, it's totally cool to be a bit discombobulated, no worries. That tiny bit o' extra info helps, though. And y'know, jeans are like shrinks & men: you gotta try a bunch that don't fit until you find the right fit.

I know that the jeans that have gotten the most praise around here have been 7 For All Mankind, but they aren't cheap. I've also heard good things about True Religion, Rock & Republic, Joe's Jeans & Paper Denim + Cloth on your higher end brands ($200).

--------------------

+Quote Post
sageykins
post May 19 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

Good points AP. Yeah I was reall vague... I'm kinda out of it lately... The impending date for next wk w my crush from 20 yrs ago... It's kinda messed up my head. Oh and that work completely sucks and I am hating it. I am all over the place in my head- can't think clearly.
Um, size 10, lower rise but not so that i'm showing anything- like at my hips, I'd rather go with 100% cotton but I know they won't hold the fit as well without some stretch. Bootcut. And honestly, I'm willing to spend on these- I don't have jeans that fit really good and so for once I am willing to go a little bizerk. smile.gif I'll search smile.gif Thanks!

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post May 19 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #32

Big Fat Bitch

Preferences? $$$$$ to spend? Size? Lower rise or natural? Wash? Stretch or 100% cotton? Skinny, regular, bootcut, flare?

You may want to peruse the archives & see what those that have gone before have had to say.

Also, thrift stores can be a great resource for inexpensive jeans. Ad lawd knows you'll have a bajillion pairs to pick from!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sageykins
post May 19 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

Ok, so I'm hunting for new jeans that fit, are comfortable, continue to fit throughout the day (meaning they don't get all loose and dumb), and look good. Thoughts?
Thanks ladies!

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post May 15 2010, 11:03 AM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

Scored some sweet items on clearance at the WIN store the other day. Got two light, summery, embroidered cotton skirts, one brick red and just below the knee with a layered flounce hem, and a shorter black one without ruffles; a comfy pair of yoga pants; a long, black, stretchy tunic top; a black t-shirt with elastic ruffled trim, kind of like this; a retro sleeveless high-necked silver and black patterned top; and a really cool straw hat trimmed with black ribbon and with a big bow at the back. My new favourite outfit is the red skirt with the black ruffled top, black footless tights, these shoes in black, a wristful of thin silver bangles, and red polish and lipstick. It looks perfect with the hat, too.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Apr 23 2010, 04:42 AM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

summa these old ladies rock the turban. otherwise they just rock.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Mar 11 2010, 06:46 PM
Post #36

Big Fat Bitch

OKAY! I was thinking crazy old lady turban! Now I gotcha.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Mar 11 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/hel...on/DSCN1816.jpg

You can't really see the turban in the pic, but it looks like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/hel...on/DSCN4362.jpg

I got it from an antique store and it was hanging on a hook for years, probably, so it's kind of stuck in a weird shape and I've been trying to get it back to the way it's supposed to be.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Mar 11 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #38

Big Fat Bitch

Whoa. I want pictures of said outfit, Hellotampon. I can be bold sartorially, but I don't think even I could pull off a turban. DAMN! You gots mojo!

I'd also like to add that Target's line with JP Gaultier has some really cute stuff. And their Liberty of London line launches in three days & looks to have some fun things for spring.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Mar 10 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

I got this vest online and I LOVE IT. I wore it today with a floral dress, navy tights, riding boots, and an old turban I got from an antique store, but it even looks awesome with jeans and a white tee shirt.

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Feb 23 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for the tip!

I just scored this Felina Bodysuit for $15!!
I needed it for my bridesmaids gown. Once again, I got the wrong size to get the right price. It's a problem for me, I just can't resist the bargain!

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 24, 2014 - 08:58 AM