Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions & Comments about the Magazine
girlbomb
post Nov 16 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #61

Hardcore BUSTie

It takes money to put out magazines, which is why most of them accept tobacco and booze ads. Without them, many magazines would not be able to publish at all. I think BUST trusts its readers to see the ad and ignore it if they choose. They'd probably prefer that all their ads come from independent women-run businesses (rather than just most of their ads coming from those sources), but the financial realities don't permit that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MaryEllen
post Nov 16 2006, 08:20 AM
Post #62

QUOTE(midgemcgrath @ Nov 15 2006, 09:59 PM) *

ugh, seriously, again with the cigarettes? what do we have to do, start some kind of campaign? i am still in shock that they've been running the ads in the first place, WTF?!

Well, I've written to Debbie, and to the advertising person, AND sent a letter to the editor, and every single one has been soundly ignored. I haven't heard a single word back from anyone. I'm beyond disappointed with it now -- I'm trying to cancel my subscription.

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post Nov 15 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #63

Hardcore BUSTie

ugh, seriously, again with the cigarettes? what do we have to do, start some kind of campaign? i am still in shock that they've been running the ads in the first place, WTF?!

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 15 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #64

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Someone from Bust posted here a little while ago and said they would be changing fulfillment companies soon because the one they had sucked (I had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with them- they were incompetent a-holes!) so maybe it will get better, Louisa. I think "subscriptions@bust.com" is where you can send questions about subscriptions, though. If I'm wrong, does anyone know the correct email???

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
Louisa
post Nov 15 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #65

Hi,

I've got a problem with the people who deliver BUST overseas. My September/October issue still hasn't arrived. I've asked for it to be resent, but that was over two weeks ago and now they are not replying to my emails.

If anyone who has any power over this is reading, this is not a good service! Is there anyone else can bug about getting this sorted out?

Thanks

Louisa

+Quote Post
MaryEllen
post Nov 14 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #66

QUOTE(pollystyrene @ Nov 14 2006, 11:23 PM) *

There's an ad for American Spirit cigarettes in this month's issue. Anyone laboring under the delusion that those are any healthier for them is an idiot. I really don't like that Bust prints these ads.

Yeah, I saw that. I was so disappointed. I really like Bust but... I smoked for years, and it was so hard for me to quit. I'm also still mourning the deaths of two friends, who both died of cancer.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Nov 14 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #67

There's an ad for American Spirit cigarettes in this month's issue. Anyone laboring under the delusion that those are any healthier for them is an idiot. I really don't like that Bust prints these ads.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.

+Quote Post
MaryEllen
post Nov 14 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #68

i don't know if anyone actually reads this, but i just wanted to say for the record how utterly disheartened and disappointed i am that there is a cigarette ad on pg. 2 of the most recent issue.

i thought bust was better than that.

Midge, me too! I have actually written to Debbie and to the advertising manager twice, asking them to please stop promoting cigarettes... and both of my letters have been soundly ignored. It's so disappointing -- I didn't even get a form letter. Just silence.

+Quote Post
naidababy
post Nov 12 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #69

QUOTE(nellie @ Oct 6 2006, 02:17 PM) *

I'd love to intern at Bust, but I'm not sure who to contact. Any ideas?

I am interested as well! Please email me if you find out:
stephanie.nolasco@gmail.com

+Quote Post
crashedyellow
post Nov 10 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #70

Three cheers for BUST's usage of recycled magazine paper! 80 to 100% is very impressive.

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!

The issue as a whole is exactly the kind of brilliant content we've all come to expect and love, but this new development is something that warranted me coming on the website, signing up for the "lounge", and posting this.

This warrants me finally getting a real subscription after six years of grabbing it from bookstores and news / magazine shops.

--------------------
Horror movies, DIY culture, music (from showtunes to death metal), feminism, make-up, shoes, ferrets, comic books, video games, avocados, the color yellow, the smell of vanilla, post-it notes, David Sedaris, chick lit, sci-fi, fashion magazines, celebrity-obsessed pop culture, HGTV, embracing my shallow side, volunteering with kids, Ariel Gore, nicknames, glitter, goth-y vinyl and metal studs, liberal green politics, working out, eating, being curvy, roller derby, facial peircings...

All the things little girls are made of. :)

+Quote Post
ritahayworth
post Nov 5 2006, 06:55 PM
Post #71

BUSTie

Just picked up the Oct/Nov issue -- and that Amy Poehler interview is the best interview Bust has ever had. Can she PLEASE be the official Bust mascot? She's fantastic. (Jill too!)

+Quote Post
kaylamae
post Oct 20 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #72

I thoroughly enjoy reading your magazine, but am now living in china, where english magazines are about as common as platinum blonde and blue eyes. I know that the order forms in the boobtique offer China as a possibly destination for orders, but i was wondering if any of you knew the likely hood of the magazine being confiscated as inappropriate or cultrally offensive upon its arrival at chinese customs. The fact that the website is open to access suggests that the book is not banned completely, but i have recently had a bad experience with trying to have things shipped to me. I really want to have access to your magazine while i am here and would just place the order to see what happnes, but i honestly can not afford the ordering and shipping costs. i can justify the frivolous sepnding if i am getting something i want as much as i want bust, but i can't spend that much on an importing experiment.

any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated

+Quote Post
nellie
post Oct 6 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #73

I'd love to intern at Bust, but I'm not sure who to contact. Any ideas?

+Quote Post
beelzebabe_a_gog...
post Sep 30 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #74

Hi. I am trying to hunt down an online archive of the One Handed Reads. Is there such a thing ? I'd like to find one that ran sometime back that took place on the subway. Thanks !

+Quote Post
iheartmykittysim...
post Sep 28 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #75

Hi,

I'm an avid reader of both "Bust" and "Bitch." I seem to recall an old issue of one (I'm almost positive it was "Bust," and it would've possibly been a couple years ago) an article or editorial about the trend in pop culture of hip, "alternative" guys (such as characters in movies) still digging very bland and typical girl characters (rather than cool-chick counterparts). I'm in the midst of an involved email exchange about this phenomenon with a guyfriend, and I would love to be able to cite this article to him!
Can anyone confirm whether or not I am imagining this? And, if I'm not, how would I go about tracking down a copy of it?
Thanks so much!

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 15 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #76

I just got mine, with Amy Poehler on the cover on Monday, I think. Sometimes there's a 10-day or so difference between when some people get them, so I'd wait until late next week, maybe. Maybe someone from Bust can tell you when to expect your first issue, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
toastybean
post Sep 15 2006, 09:51 AM
Post #77

Hardcore BUSTie

when does the fall issue come out? i just subscribed in august and thought it would be here by now.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Sep 15 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #78

PANTIES! ew.

Miracle of miracles! I finally got the Bustline delivered to my Bust email address. It only took how many years? Thanks anyway for fixing the problem. Better late than never, as the cliche goes.

+Quote Post
charliegirl
post Sep 9 2006, 09:07 AM
Post #79

QUOTE(Petula @ Sep 6 2006, 05:56 PM) *

I still haven't received my August issue.
I've called called three times to try to solve the problem. The most recent phone call got me the assurance that it would arrive by today at the latest. Guess what - no magazine! At this point I really don't know what to do.

Mine is AWOL too.....i didn't receive gretchen moll, then no show on the fashion issue. my credit card was billed however! im depressed! i just want my magazine!

+Quote Post
LoungeLady
post Sep 7 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #80

Hardcore BUSTie

petula, i'm sending you a PM. I'm sorry that you've had such bad luck with our fulfillment house; in a few months, we'll have a new (better) one. thanks.

--------------------
So mod!

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 16, 2014 - 01:30 AM